Guangzhou Huangdou Automotive Co. (广州红湖 - 黄豆)

2020 Huangdou SPRiTE

Soon.

16 Likes

2020 Huangdou SPRiTE

Slotting inbetween the CC Allure and the CC, is the Sprite - a compact crossover with a focus on driver excitement.

FINDING FUN IN SMALL PACKAGES

With a small form factor and short wheelbase, the new Huangdou SPRiTE provides a tossable package with no compromise.

HUANGDOU REAR TRAILING ARM SUSPENSION provides a sporty feel at little cost and small form factor, to ensure space is not compromised and handling is lively.

1.5 LITRE Di TURBO ENGINE making 143 horsepower sends Huangdou SPRiTE to 100 km/h in peppy times, as fast as 9 seconds (BeamNG tested).

HUANGDOU ACTIVE SPORT STEERING provides tactile and confident immersive experience in steering without added maintenance.

FINDING STRIKING STYLING ON A SMALL CANVAS

Although small, the new Huangdou SPRiTE has been styled to turn heads on and off the road.

HUANGDOU SWEEPING DRLS add style when the vehicle is turned on, providing sweeping turn signaling at striking illumination levels.

HUANGDOU INFINITY LED TAIL LAMPS provide full 180° illumination with ignition and shut-off effects for the premium feel.

HIGHLY CUSTOMIZABLE COLOUR COMBINATIONS are available, making each Huangdou SPRiTE unique.

FINDING COMFORT IN SMALL FORM FACTOR

Although small in form, the new Huangdou SPRiTE contains the creature comforts you know and love in our brand.

WORLD-CLASS ELECTRONICS in the Changan CS15 Huangdou SPRiTE provide the most high-tech feel possible.

BOSE SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM makes blasting your favourite DJ Nekonyaa tunes easy, with a social mode which plays your music out of the trunk area for events and picnics.

HUANGDOU VIRTUAL ASSISTANT is standard on the Au trim, providing voice-activated commands, weather, and navigation via. Baidu (Asia) or Google (Intl.).

FINDING PERFORMANCE ORIENTATION

2020 Huangdou SPRiTE comes in a Sport trim, for an extra kick in performance.

4-WHEEL DISC BRAKES allow the SPRiTE Sport to stop in record times, with no inconsistencies or hassle.

6 SPEED MANUAL GEARBOX or 7 SPEED DCT provides shorter shifting times and sportier feel.

0-100 KM/H IN 8 SECONDS gives the Huangdou SPRiTE exhilirating accelerating sensation.

HONGHU PERFORMANCE SPRINGS makes ride more stiff, responsive and confident.

FINDING THE ONE FOR YOU

Cu Ag Au Sport
Lighting Halogen LED LED LED
Infotainment 6.5" w/ USB and Bluetooth 8" w/ USB and Bluetooth 8" w/ Huangdou Virtual Assistant, USB and Bluetooth 8" w/ Huangdou Virtual Assistant, USB and Bluetooth
Brakes Disc/Drum Disc/Drum Disc/Drum Disc/Disc
Engine 1.5L Inline 3 Turbo 1.5L Inline 3 Turbo 1.5L Inline 3 Turbo 1.5L Inline 3 Turbo
Transmission 6 Speed Manual/6 Speed Auto 8 Speed Auto. 8 Speed Auto. 6 Speed Manual/7 Speed DCT
Price (USD) $16,500 $18,500 $20,500 $23,500

More Photos

29 Likes

I expect this to mean a semi-independent torsion beam - cheaper and more space-efficient, though less comfortable or sporty, than a fully independent set-up. It’s likely you chose it to keep costs down; after all, the SPRiTE is meant to be an affordable subcompact crossover. Speaking of which, the Swift body is a better choice for making such a car than I first thought, and you have just proved it with the SPRiTE’s handsome exterior design. Well done. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if even Western customers bought it in droves.

Precisely. It’s written like so as a fun shot at FAW’s advertising.

Thank you :smiley: it was both surprising and challenging working with the swift body. It’s incredibly versatile for what it is!

3 Likes

Huangdou History Bites: 1987-1996 GZHD745 (Formerly the SJ-Series)

The long-running Huangdou GZHD745 lineup saw significant changes with its model refresh in 1987. Its body was switched off the chunkier American style body to one more compact.

Starting at $10,900, the GZHD745SM sedan was an ancient piece of transportation, with not much innovation involved. A single pair of sealed beams lit the way, while the words “Guangzhou Huangdou” dominated its primitive grille. It was powered by a 1.5 litre 4 pot making 78 horsepower, taking it to 100 km/h in about 13 seconds with the help of a 5 speed manual. Its suspension geometry was nothing exciting either; MacPherson fronts and a live axle at the rear, with neither using roll bars.

Despite being barren in just about everything, the GZHD745 was a reliable piece of work, offering itself as a more compact and easier-to-drive alternative to the mid-size Volkswagen Santana due to its smaller overhangs.

Due to its similarities to the Santana, the GZHD745SM served as a taxicab alongside the popular Volkswagen. Although it was cheaper, it was significantly less technologically-advanced and more unsafe, making it a more popular buy with the fresher and less expensive cab companies.

A more comfortable version was offered with a better interior, a driver’s side airbag and tack-on fog lights. It fetched for a bit more than the base GZHD745, but not by a considerable margin.

From the side profile, it’s evident that these vehicles were much shorter than the Santana.

Trunk space was a bit less than the Santana however. There are rumours that wagon versions exist as well, although very limited in both documentation and production numbers.

And Some Fun

With some resemblance to the EF Civics, of course I had to do something like this. It doesn’t look too bad. If only the oil cooler mod and most of the wheels were updated to Open Beta…

20 Likes

AH SHIT, I EDITED THE POST AND IT BUMPED THE THREAD AGAIN

It’s probably best I show what is in stock for the coming future.

2002, 2007, and 2021 Huangdou SJ

2021 Huangdou Huixing

Honghu’s Huangdou-based Electric Brand - NuclEi.

EDIT: switched these out for teasers because skipping the foreplay is haram

Soon(?)

18 Likes

the 2007 SJ’s headlights remind me of a Crosstrek…don’t ask why

why?

4 Likes

Because it just does

and why does it

because it’s shape in my opinion is very similar to the early crosstrek

I get where you’re coming from haha. It wasn’t until after I finished the car that I realized I made a borderline Corolla clone. Appropriate for late 2000s China :smile:

3 Likes

The 2002 SJ, has that body made it to 4.24?

As of today, unfortunately not :frowning:

Huangdou History Bites: 2003-2008 Haiyang

By 2003, the Huangdou Haiyang midsize sedan had been refreshed with a new look embodying inspiration from both America and Japan. It was intended to compete with those American and Japanese competitors both domestically and internationally, with its secret weapon being its cheap price.

It was less expensive, however such did not come with great sacrifices. It was less powerful, making 132 hp out of a 2.0 litre 4 cylinder. It was less protected from the elements, with untreated steel panels covering its galvanized chassis. More prominently, it was a lot less safe, scoring just 1-star in the Euro NCAP offset frontal crash.

Starting at $17,500, the Haiyang still offered some comfort. Its leather seats were a huge upgrade from the cardboard-like calamity found in the SJ model line, its rear multilink suspension provided a supple ride with room for hard thrashing (not that the vehicle could get thrashed that hard anyways)…

…and upper trims came with some pretty fancy wood!

The normal consumer versions were as normal as they got. Electric power steering, choices between a 4-speed auto or a 5-speed manual, they were as “car” as “car” could have gotten.

However, the automaker did have one limited-run trim level dubbed the “Super Luxury” in English markets, and CHH (超豪华) domestically. It had a premium sound system made by Sony, softer springs, a lower body kit and chrome trim all over. It went for about $24,500 with a model run of only 1,000 vehicles.

It looked pretty handsome I have to say. I’m pretty proud of this one.

At an even more limited run was a sport version, with stiffer springs, lower ride height, better tires and bigger wheels. Only 500 of these were made. Rarely did any of them sell.

And what better way to end off this article with no taste! I thought this car looked relatively Japanese so I did a relatively Japanese thing to it.

During its 5 year run, the 2003-2008 Haiyang sold well in domestic markets, however, suffered in international markets due to its unsafe nature. Although relatively unassuming as a car, it did what early 2000’s Huangdou did well, and carried its legacy on to the next refresh.

26 Likes

Midsize sedan, so Camry or early naughties Taurus sized right? Looks like the kind of thing I would buy up in a heartbeat if it had a V6 ;)))

Yeeeep, Camry sized. Ain’t no V6 in sight though :wink:

If I am not mistaken, the Haiyang was made using one of the bodies introduced in the latest open beta build - if so, then this must be one of the best uses of it, by you or anyone else.

It’s quite a versatile body! There are a ton of variants to go with and it’ll definitely open up to many unique designs.

Huangdou History Bites: 1992-1996 GZHD7121

A lore collaboration between @CorsicaUnknown and yours truly.

If your first thought is “there’s nothing special to really take out of these”, you’re precisely correct. The Huangdou GZHD7121 was the continuation of the long-running SJ-series vehicles the Chinese company still produces today. Sharing Sisten technology as per their partnership in the pre-2000s, the Huangdou GZHD7121 showed significant improvements in quality compared to the brand’s earlier vehicles, as well as its own competition.

Pictured on the left is the 1992 GZHD7121. Its design was simple, stupid, and its engineering just worked. Nothing more to take out of off the showroom floor. Once it got off, however, all its flaws were apparent. Its bare steel chassis would not take nicely to the Chinese humidity only 10 years down the line, while its headlights yellowed and panel gaps grew. It wasn’t until under Sisten’s involvement when these problems would be mitigated.

By 1993, the issues of the GZHD7121 were addressed in multiple board meetings between the corporations, refining issues and providing new technology for the Honghu engines and running gear. However, much to the disappointment of the Sisten company, the vehicle continued to use a bare steel chassis until Honghu eventually obtained hot-dip technology for their steel in 1996.

By '96, the GZHD7121 had been facelifted, with a more modernized look at least on the front. The rear stayed virtually the same, and so did most of the powertrain besides the odd few improvements from Sisten.

The interior had been modernized with the help of some Sisten part sharing as well, providing the Chinese market with quality miles higher than its other domestic counterparts, yet still lacking behind its international competitors.

Production, like the Sistens, continued until 2006, superseded by the 2002 SJ. Such was the case until it was fully replaced by the 2007 SJ, in which the 2002 then took its place.

15 Likes