Hard Rooster's Vanilla Fixtures Thread

I do a lot myself, thanks to your great tutorials :smiley:, but I still have not figured out how to get something like this headlight. It´s a skinned mesh with an slight offset UV-mesh without a conformig mesh i think.

Ever since I started making mods, I’ve been trying to figure that out, but I can´t make it work.
Do you have a tip for me?

2 Likes

I made that light. The trick is that there’s a tiny standalone “tab” hidden inside the light pod that acts as the anchor point to the body.

Couple ways you could do it. You could do it as an additional mesh, and place the object origin where you want it to locate itself on the body. That would be the easiest way. You’ll be able to scale it in all three dimensions.

If you want to limit scaling to just two dimensions, like Carlovers pod lights you have to pay a little more attention to where vertices are. Anything +/- 1.5mm will be stuck to the body, so whatever you don’t want to deform, you leave out of that zone. Then you can just put a single face somewhere, doesn’t even need to be physically connected to the mesh, and that face will locate the rest of the conforming mesh. Once you understand how it works, there’s a bunch of ways you can tackle it, but it’s just getting your head around it the first time, that for me was a major hurdle.

3 Likes

So the past two days I went through all my original mods, the 56, 67, 76 and 84 series mods and reworked all the fixtures, UV Meshes, materials, flipped normals and fixed a ton of stuff. All the triangle reflections should be fixed, they’ll actually have smooth and sharp edges now, some bevels, some much improved UV Meshes for stamping out better, and faster. Overall a ton of quality and performance tweaks.

I’m almost shocked at how much those old fixtures sucked :laughing:

I’ve been asked to do lots of stuff, so there’s going to be lots of changes coming pretty quickly. One of those things is to revamp the vanilla wheels, so if you guys have ideas on how you thing the existing vanilla wheels (the old ones) should look, post up some pics for me. I’m not sure what many of them are based on, so any help is appreciated.

5 Likes

Ahhh, finally! All the smooth stuff on the old models ticked me off slightly, good think you fixed em

1 Like

I have a problem here, i don´t know what to do. I have reinstalled unreal already, but the problems are still there. is it perhaps sdk?

I have made a body, but in my unreal 4.21, the car-builder-editor looks very different, as you can see in the pictures. :unamused:

1 Like

not here
support