Here is what "Old body penalty on saftey" IRL

Even in the late 90s side crash protection was pretty shithouse. This conversation is rather pertinent to me, since my father was killed in a T-boning, it was light truck vs '97 Mitsubishi Magna (Galant). Curtain airbags would have been of questionable benefit given the fatal injury was due to flail chest as a direct consequence of cabin intrusion. On the plus side, his brother, on the passenger side, only suffered a bruised knee (more than what you could have said of the other occupant in the 92 Civic vs SUV I guess :joy: ). Itā€™s really more about cabin rigidity from side impacts and AFAIK that didnā€™t really get up to scratch until the mid to late noughties.

2 Likes

this makes me feel good about my car at least

Here I am

Certainly doesnā€™t make me feel very confident.

Your car wonā€™t make it but it looks like youā€™d be fine

1 Like

Hey thatā€™s my stepsisters car (you can see the outcome on another thread)

2 Likes

Well, good to know that my carā€™s a fatass because itā€™s a virtually impregnable fortress under reasonable conditions.

Wow thats alot of airbagsā€¦and strop i am sorry for your loss mate.

edit. Hang on you work in health and you drive a cheap hatchā€¦um lol something not quite right about thatā€¦you sir need a ford

You should see our staff car parking lot. Compared to many of us I drive a pretty flash car simply because it was bought new. As far as doctors etc. are concerned, weā€™re a bunch of mostly poor people working in a mostly poor hospital serving a mostly poor community, and I donā€™t think thatā€™s a bad thing. But of course Iā€™m still a doctor so donā€™t think for a minute that I believe Iā€™m not better off in many ways than many people.

Also dw, it was like twelve years ago.

Lol the complete opposite to our docs put here. Mercs and bmw then my gp has 3 porsches it must have something to do with rural docsā€¦

I also will never understand why the docs out here are obsessed with hunting trophiesā€¦they dont hunt but are quite happy to pay me for hides and antlers to then be mounted???

1 Like

ā€¦

this is no ordinary gp, heā€™s up to some shady businessā€¦

this is super-gp

2 Likes

Nope this is gp that owns his own practice not in the public sector and he pays really low to his nurses my mum has been there 15 yrs and her last pay rise went from 19.79 per hr to 19.85 per hr thats right a 6c pay rise for the head nurseā€¦and what annoys me is he is only there 4 days a week for 4hrs each day. This is why rural aussie healthcare is a joke the only docs that come here are either made to in the public sector or come here to fuckin retire at 30.

Sorry strop no offence meant but these docs are parasites

Pretty sure strop would be offended by that bludger doctor rather than your hate for him

1 Like

Oi watch ur language the c word is not used in that way lol. Wat you meant to say (in aussie) is that bludger doctor

oops sorry guys i thought i was in a granny section oops

1 Like

when it comes to swearing with me (even IRL) wherever the word fits, it goes, even if it makes no sense or is (unintentionally) offensive :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

No offence taken whatsoever. Thatā€™s the nature of the problem and thatā€™s the way itā€™s staying. Even the fiscal incentives (aka the reason your country GP can afford 3 Porsches) isnā€™t enough.

Personally I freaking love working in the country. Normally my training program requires me to do 3 months in every 12, I tend to ask for 6 (though I donā€™t get it, because exam schedule). If I could make it work, Iā€™d totally work rural, only, the problem with that is that I canā€™t commit to working full time rural because other life priorities, and thatā€™s a problem a lot of the rural health services face: that kind of severely limits the continuity of care that rural residents really need, so Iā€™m not exactly fixing the problem with that compromise.

Anyway, sorry for being off-topic.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the type of crash where Iā€™d survive.

Thatā€™s the one where itā€™s doubtful I do.

The first gen xB/bB were pretty good at head on and moderate overlap, but sucked at side impact. Granted itā€™s still the most modern car Iā€™ve owned and definitely the safest. But given the drop in performance from head on to moderate overlap I doubt the car would hold up to a small overlap.

Hereā€™s a vid for car (the closest I can get)

(No sound) 1984 Mustang Convertible

for the Mid 80s itā€™s quite a solid car!

1 Like

The way that roofline and bottom chassis and side skirts flex really worries me

School buses donā€™t have underride bars, so yeah, different set of conditions. Itā€™s quite strange that they donā€™t considering theyā€™re of a similar height to transport trucks and are more prone to being rear-ended since they often stop on highways.

My dad was in a crash 15 years ago where his 1985 Land Cruiser was sandwiched between 2 transport trucks. The truck was completely destroyed and nobody could have survived anywhere but the driverā€™s seat. My dad just broke a couple of ribs. The front of his SUV only partially underrode the transport in front, on the passenger side, while the entire cabin behind the front seats was lifted off the frame and crushed (the frame was lower than the transport truck that rear-ended him). So yeah, a large vehicle has its advantages in such a situation since thereā€™s more rigid body to absorb such a strong impact.

Those are due to the inherently weak unibody design with the top chopped off. (aka: Typical Convertible)

Trust me, those doors are an integral part of the rigidity of the car. When Iā€™ve jacked up my Mustang for oil changes and brake changes/brake bleeding, you can feel the flex (and see it a bit) when the door is opened and closed while still jacked up.

1 Like