High Noon Touge Challenge [FINAL REVIEW OUT]

High Noon Touge Challenge

Hakone Turnpike, Evening, 5th July 1994

Story

A white Steurmann SC-3000 can be found hanging out alone at one of the parking spot at Hakone Turnpike with the driver leaning against the car, talking on his bulky 90’s handphone.Looking closer, the man was wearing a white inner shirt with dark green bomber jacket and black jeans. The man can be heard chatting about yesterday’s touge race session that happened on this track with some laughs and giggle here and there.

“And that’s how Mrs.Mitsuki in her Sendo GT that got crashed into a ditch last night. Woman driver, am i right?” followed by a laugh from the man.

Suddenly, a woman in a white blouse and jeans appeared from the nearby convenience store, carrying a bottle of ice tea and a packet of bun, heading to the man leaning on the Steurmann.

“Have you got no respect for the woman in the Sendo last night? You even promised me to not underestimate that girl last night too, Mr.‘Corner Expert’ aka Tanaka Haneji.” said by the girl.

“Promises are made to be broken, Yui. Besides, i saw her that she was big talk gal that she can do touge and such in that car, she deserves what she got, babe.” Tanaka replied.

“Yeah but do you really need to say that? Ugh anyways, here’s your bun that you requested.” Yui handed over a bun to Tanaka.

Tanaka took a few bites of the bun. “Mr.Yamata’s recipe, always a classic.” Yui drank the ice tea that she bought from the store.

“So, what brings us here? Usually when we’re here, it’s always the big talk that you always pressed on, so what’s up? Is Yanagi got thrown into state prison this time or…?” Yui asked with comtemplated face. Tanaka opens up Steurmann’s door and grabbed the group pic of HNC Touge, showed it to Yui.

“See anything wrong, babe?” Tanaka asked while showing the pic to Yui.

“Uh… i see nothing wrong here other than you guys posing on the middle of the road.” Yui replied.

“I mean you’re not wrong but other than that?” Tanaka asked.

Yui hums while she was thinking what was wrong with the group pic. “It’s time for Yanagi to upgrade his car? I don’t know.”

'Yeah, we should ask him to upgrade his junk to something more newer but i’m planning to add one new member to our club." Tanaka said to Yui while putting back the pic into the car.

“One more? I thought you’re happy with the three of us.” Yui questioned.

“Yeah but i feel like not satisfied with this amount of people in this club. Besides, our club been a talk of the town and whole country since we featured in Option’s magazine, bet a lot of drivers are interested in our club right now.” Tanaka replied.

“I mean you’re not wrong, we do blow up in terms of popularity these lately and i do get a feeling we do need another member in to our club. Alright, I’m up for this but how are we gonna advertise this? Pamphlets or…?”

“Posters, invitation card, Internet, anything that can advertise our club as long as the police won’t invade us during the new member recruitment session.” Tanaka replied enthusiastically.

“Well, i know a guy of a guy who are experts in these kind of things, don’t you worry about it.” Yui said while gave a small light punch to Tanaka’s shoulder.

“Good! Consider our little cute meeting done and head to McDonalds back in the town, eh?” Tanaka then open the door for Yui to get in to the car, engine’s roaring from the ignition and they head back to the town downhill.

So, this club is looking out for a brave, fast and agile touge racer. Doesn’t matter what cars the recruit brings as long it’s fast on touge road especially Hakone Turnpike which they usually do run most of the time and some other touge road in Japan.

Requirements

• No body requirements which means you can send in a pickup, minivan or anything but please no meme bodies.
  • No engine requirements or size limit but no V16 engine.
  • No drivetrain requirements.
  • Engine ET : 150
  • Trim ET : 150
  • Approximate Cost : $40k soft limit, the lesser the better.
  • Race parts and semi slicks are allowed
  • Fuel Type : 98 RON Unleaded for modern cars / 98 RON Leaded for older car
  • Catalytic Converter is a required for 98 RON Unleaded cars but not for 98 RON Leaded cars
  • Model year 1974 and above are required to have catalytic converter.
  • Max Trim year should be 1994, no more newer than that.
  • Realism rules applies here, no stupid build like “FWD” aka AWD but powers the front wheel 100%.

Priorities

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Drivability - Although the club consist of your amateur drivers schmuck but they prioritize drivability so they didn’t flew off the ditch but they’re good at throttle control and powerful cars.

Sportiness - I mean, jelly suspension car on touge road? Totally viable at all! Totally. Jokes aside, they want car that can handle some mean corner on high speed.

Reliability - Although we’re not expecting Toyota Corolla of reliability but as long as the car can do many runs while not visiting the local mechanic many times in one week, you’re good.

:star: :star: :star:
Fuel Economy - Although it’s not a long course, they are planning to not visit the local gas station many times per run or whatever.

Comfort - They’re humans and need comfort, expect some luxury in it.

Safety - I guess this is self explanatory? Hoping the car don’t explode in one small bump.

:star: :star:

Practicality - Although the members put spare parts at each respective rest stop, they still put them in their car just in case they broke down in the middle of nowhere.

Utility - uh, you get the point.

Track Rundown

Automation Time Trial

Your car will be tested on Haruna Downhill in Automation since we don’t have really any touge map in this game and this is the closest one.

Haruna_Downhill.zip (1.5 MB)

Real Life Touge Video Examples

Videos

Eurobeat & Drift 6 - 1993 - YouTube

Eurobeat & Drift 7 - 1990 - YouTube

Eurobeat & Drift 11 - 1990 - YouTube

Car Inspirations

Inspiration

Playlist

Playlist

90s Super Eurobeat Mix - YouTube

58 Minutes of Classic Eurobeat for Celebrating 100k and Bipping and Bopping and Drifting and Driving - YouTube

90s Super Eurobeat Mix Volume 2 - YouTube

QNA

“Will this challenge be tested for BeamNG?”
Nah, not planning to do that since some people don’t have that game and will give some disadvantage to some people.

Deadline

Time until Wednesday, 17 November 2021, 11:59:00 (Kuala Lumpur time)

Naming Convention

both of model and engine family name : HNT - (your forum username)

Trim name : Name of your car
Variant name : Your engine name

You can send in your entry now!

29 Likes

The inspirations seem to be full of Japanese cars. Does this mean we’re only allowed to send Japanese cars? Are Japanese cars preferred and are non Japanese cars in disadvantage.

There’s no advantage or disadvantage of any cars, all cars from any region are allowed.

1 Like

One more thing - a three-way catalytic converter of some sort should be mandatory, and to enforce this, the 98 RON fuel we are using should be of the unleaded sort (not the leaded form that is incompatible with catalytic converters).

Are these cars being judged solely on stats alone or will these actually be driven in BeamNG?

Would it be appropriate to make the car look like it’s been modded previously?

(i.e, its made to look like a previous owner added/changed certain parts?)

One of the example cars was only made between 1968–1972, the Skyline GT C10… I appreciate the inclusion of a classic car, but your examples might not match what your requirements ask.

Trim year is different to model year, trim will allow you 1994 tech even if you have an older car.

is 95 also fine? bc my engine is older and i only have 95 in my era? or engine Trim also 94?

Stats alone, not planning to do BeamNG session as some people don’t have BeamNG and that give some disadvantage.

98 RON is fine but highly recommending use 98 RON and as for the engine trim, i’ve decided to drop the trim year requirement since some people said they don’t wanted basic 80’s safety in their 1967 car.

1 Like

Would a pre '74 car with a post '74 engine swapped in require a cat or no?

Yes it is required to have one.

Thank you so much for putting in those Eurobeat mixes. I often listen to music while working on cars but listening to Eurobeat while designing a car feels like you’re ascending to another plane of existence.

Somewhere in Japan

Its been months since the Alessandro de Luca have gone hiding in Japan. His presence was lost. His whereabouts was unknown. He was reportedly scavenged in several cities as large as Tokyo, working odd jobs with the use of fake identities. Back at his home at Italy, he was involved in several high-profile car-jacking and robbery cases in Milan and Turin, and also have links to several crime rings around Europe. For years the Italian cops and other people couldn’t find him, and all those attempts to take him down proves to be futile.

Or not this time.

Narita International Airport, Tokyo

At the Narita International Airport, a young and beautiful lady with long hair and wears a black suit has arrived from an Alitalia flight from Milan. She took out a handbook, where she read about a snippets about some touge clubs and wrote something about the incident. There was rumors that the fugitive was hidden inside some touge racing club somewhere around Hakone, and because of that she booked tickets to there.

“A ticket to Hakone, please.”
“What’s your name, lady?”
“Sonia Rizzanti.”

The Milanese undercover cop was well-known for her driving skills, and the fact she had been involved in high-risk undercover operations while being successful. And the fact that she was rumored to be a illegitimate daughter of Marco Ferrari, a famous actor, and his mistress. But oh well, rumors be rumors. We don’t know what’s true or not, are we?

She then took the Shinkansen to Hakone, which it arrived there for not long after. But after she stepped out from the station, her phone rang.

“Ciao?”
“I know who are you, I know where you are and I know you have just arrived from the station. There’s a white sports car, take it, its yours.”

A white sports car was parked on the carpark, with the keys and a note on the window. She hanged here phone, approached the car, and took the keys and the note from the car. She then read the note.

“It’s yours, girl.”

She drove the vehicle, and set off to find a place where the touge racers were active the mountainous back roads.

1987 Zanetti GT240 turbo "White Storm"

The Zanetti GT240 turbo/300 series of sport cars was released in 1982 as a replacement for the Zanetti GT200/300 series as the firm’s entry level offering for the 80s. Like every Zanetti, the vehicle is hand-built in Modena in Italy, and it was only offered in LHD, even in RHD countries like Japan.

A stock GT240 turbo.

There are 2 models of the GT, the GT240 turbo and the GT360. The GT360 has a larger 3.6 liter V8, generating 270 hp, while the domestic-market exclusive GT240 turbo has a smaller 2.4 liter V8 generating 247 hp.

But this is no ordinary Zanetti. This was known as the “White Storm”, and its origins were unclear as for now. A new V6 from a Nishiki van which was rebuilt and turbocharged, now with 340 hp. Improved suspension and slicks means better handling characteristics. And a lot of modifications we don’t know as of now.

Which could be beneficial for the touge, I guess.

More Photos

9 Likes

i just noticed a thing

98RON fuel unlocks in 1985

cars after '74 are required to have a catalytic converter (thus unleaded fuel)

which fuel is supposed to be used, if leaded 98 is meant for “older” cars, but unleaded 98 is not available due to causality in the ruleset?

DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE BOARILLAAAA

4 Likes

Does the vehicle have to be pre-modified?

i do believe that is how this challenge goes, considering the previous high noon related challenge worked like this (plus details like the 98 RON fuel or lenient restrictions on a lot of things)

Mons Hawk GT-X

…but…

refurbished

The Mons Hawk GT-X was introduced in 1985 as the Group B homologation model of the Mons Hawk line of cars. Well… this particular car somehow ended up in Japan and got abused over the years. A shame, really, to mess up such a rare vehicle. But what is done cannot be undone. After the car finally blew up it was stored for a few years…

…until 1994, when a new owner decided to refurbish the dead car. So what I present here is the refurbished car, complete with complete engine overhaul and suspension re-tune. The car has also received some internal modifications. Externally, however, the car has been restored to mint original condition, and is indistinguishable from the original. Enjoy the four-wheel drifting!

12 Likes

Ah, was gonna try a 316i/MB C180 equivalent but that won’t go out well but tuned