Hilbert's Car Museum, 07 Piaggio Fly, '05 Twongi 🌸, '99 Beemer

Ooooh boy, here it is!

My most recent impulse purchase, 1991 Daihatsu Charade!

For over a 30 years old car, it has surprisingly little rust. And the interior is in mint condition!

The Charade is a car that was shit even when it was new. It sold poorly because it had no heated seats or any other cool features its competitors had. In fact, Daihatsu sold so poorly in Finland that they stopped selling Daihatsus in 2001!

The Charade was praised for sporty driving experience. Tachometer was standard on all models.

I quite fancy the design. I suppose that’s what made me buy it.

Either way, under the hood we have the 1.3L 16V engine! Sporty!

I just need to change the oil and it’ll be good to go, I hope. It’s not inspected.

And it even has a cool 16 VALVE badge! I bet it’ll make everyone in the grocery store parking lot jealous.

11 Likes

So, the Daihatsu has a variety of issues. Some small ones, like worn brakes. Rpm gauge doesn’t work, bumper is cracked.

Some big one’s, like uhh… Literal rust hole on the bottom. Two rust holes, in fact. Some more rust around the body, and uhhh… It leaks gas. Yeah.

The good news are that I can change the brakes myself and fixing the broken tachometer should be fairly easy too. But when it comes to flammable stuff, like gas, I’ll have someone else do that.

Obligatory Daihatsu pic

He looks bit sad.

8 Likes

Gas leak? When you drive it the gas goes out of it. Is normal. Totally. Charade is incapable of problems.

must i mention this is sarcasm it is probably better fixed

You only have some small rust holes in the bottom. Meanwhile I have found rust holes in the roof of my 1974 Kadett. Floor is long gone.

I hope this didn’t make you feel better at all since you don’t deserve that anyway.

4 Likes

You made my Daihatsu cry.

2 Likes

So, the Renault is making worrying noises and I had two options. Take it to mechanic now to see what’s wrong with it and hope it’s not too expensive. In case it is too expensive I’ll be fucked as my commute is 30km and there is no public transit.

Or I could buy a car that I drive until I get big money, and when I am in big money, I’ll get the renault checked. So… Soon I’ll have enough cars to open a museum.

Say hello to Mr. 2000 Seat Cordoba Vario. He cost me 400€ and he has 384k km on the clock.

Very beautiful and modern car with no rust whatsoever.

Very beautiful modern light bar. Except the bar is just plastic. Tow hitch for caravan holidays.

Big and beautiful 63hp naturally aspirated diesel engine with a cool awesome badge. After all you do want the world to know what a cheapskate you were.

The car is very good condition and definitely not dirty at all.

More pictures coming once I have more energy.

11 Likes

Oh no, what sort of worrying noises is the Twingo making?
And that looks like a lovely wagon.

It sounds like the engine is disintegrating.

1 Like

When looking inside, you’ll probably become depressed. It’s just plastic and also there’s no features.

I’ve never been in a car that’s so uncomfortable. And it’s impossible to get a good driving position. Either I’m too close to the pedals, or too far away from tbe steering wheel.

It has 5-speed manual. Two of those gears work without any issues. Those being the fourth and the fifth gear. It doesn’t shift to first if the car is stopped. So in order to get the car moving you gotta put it to second, give it a bit gas, and then shift it to first.

However sometimes it also won’t go into second, so you have to put it to third, give it a bit gas, and then shift to first! It always goes to third but sometimes the car just goes “Nu uh.” And throws itself back to neutral.

In the center console there’s this switch. I don’t know what it does.

In Finland we have atrocious car tax. The tax on my Twingo is around 260€ a year. And the taxes on my friends 3-Series diesel BMW is over 600. However! If your car is registered as a van, the car tax will be lower. So many lonely people with diesels remove the rear seats and register their diesel cars as two seater vans. And that’s the case with this car as well. The rear seat has been taken away and there’s wood with a few rugs on top.

Under the bonnet we have the 1.9 SDI engine. You sure as hell won’t win any drag races, but compared to my Twingo it’s quite peppy. Stable at high speeds and very economical.

8 Likes

Can’t imagine how lethargic the twingo has to be to make the SDI Seat seem peppy in comparison :joy:

3 Likes

I rarely drive faster than 80km/h on the Twingo. The gas pedal begins shaking at highway speeds and the entire car turns into a giant vibrator.

2 Likes

I got rather annoyed of the rust in my Seat, so I decided to get rid of it!

And I mostly did, there used to be a rust spot under the turn signal. Now there isn’t!

But the fenders were bit crispy as well so I sanded and painted them as well.

The only issue is, I already ran out of pain. But you know, I think two-tone paintjobs are gaining popularity again.

5 Likes

Hilberts car junkyard in real

I’m both impressed and horrified at this

Love the Charade it’s so cute

4 Likes

Your lucky, my cars are nearly at point of needing welding there so rusty.

One of my license plate lights burnt out, so I had to change it! However the bulbs hadn’t been changed in 23 years and the screws were so rusted out, that I couldn’t remove them. I were forced to break the plastic cover in order to access the bulbs.

And I did get them changed! Unfortunately, they were now hanging on my license plate, since the plastic cover wasn’t there to stop them from falling. New license plate light covers cost what? 5€ at a junkyard? I don’t have that kind of money! So I did it myself and saved money!

The bulbs are being held in place by tape, and I put some clear tape to protect the wires and whatnot from all the road salt and rocks and stuff. I’m such a genius.

7 Likes

No ‘contact me for light service’? A disaster.

6 Likes

Hilbert try not to repair cars with tape challenge (impossible)

9 Likes

Some FUCKING assholes decided that it would be really fucking hilarious if they broke the mirror of my Daihatsu.

Because I don’t want people to think it’s some scrap car that everyone can break, I sold it!

Well mainly it was due to my lack of time to actually fix it. Gotta work and make money and all that. I want to be a responsible adult who pays taxes and all that jazz.

Today I caught an elementary schooler fingering my Twingo (or something), I wasn’t a huge fan of that so I have him a really, really stern look. Through the window. I also bought a security camera! No one is touching any of my cars anymore.

1 Like

Oh, you’re turning into grumpy old man, how cute!

6 Likes

When driving I yell loudly at people who don’t use their turn signals, while listening to 70s Finnish pop at max volume.

8 Likes