Hilbert's Car Museum, 07 Piaggio Fly, '05 Twongi 🌸, '99 Beemer

All the good things must come to an end. The end for my Astra, is today.

I got the car started with a help of a stranger and some cables that gave power to my car. I drove around for a bit before pulling into a gas station and shutting the car so I can put some fuel in it. When I tried to start it, it didn’t start. I tried it with cables again, no luck. Pushing did the job, drove the car home, that’s where I’ll leave it until I get it sold.

1,5 years and almost 40,000 mutual kilometers later, our story has come to an end.

5 Likes

Well. What is this forums good for now when I can’t read this thread anymore? :frowning:

4 Likes

My Astra might be gone but this thread for sure isn’t. New car coming soon! I hope. I really need a car. I don’t like buses.

The person who donates the most money gets to choose my next car.

I don’t accept donations smaller than 10 000 euros.

6 Likes

Does Finland allow you to strip cars and sell the parts? I would presume that your car is worth more money that way, and you might make enough money to buy another Astra.

There is no law that forbids me from stripping my car and selling the parts, however I am looking to get rid of that thing fast. Selling it as whole gives me less money but in a faster time.

I have said a lot of things, such as…

Anyway!

This is my 1997 Toyota Corolla 1.4.

It’s green. Looks like a frog.

Really nice, comes with dual front airbags and ABS brakes.

And beige interior! It has aftermarket radio, it doesn’t have bluetooth but it has CD player. Seats have no height adjustment and

It has no A/C. It has central locking but no remote unlock/locking. Heated seats, however only passenger side works.

Yeah that’s all.

9 Likes

This is too nice for you. A damn mini-Lexus. :frowning:

5 Likes

If it makes you feel any better, I were strongly considering a base model Starlet. However it needed new summer tires and windshield. Seller wanted 1200 euros for it anyway. This mini-Lexus was only 1100!

4 Likes

So, you may look bourgeoisie but fact is that you just cheaped out? Sounds legit.

3 Likes

Heated seats? Fancy, mine doesn’t have those optioned even
Are you sure it doesn’t have seat height adjustment? That was standard on Japanese cars since like the 80s, i have to see the levers because it cant be possible

3 Likes

As it turns out, the seat height adjustments are broken. Here are the controls,

And the heated seats are kind of interesting.

You can only turn on left seat, or both front seats. So you can’t only have right seat heater on. And according to my front passengers, the heated seats work on passenger side.

7 Likes

Oh yeah I don’t like sedans either but as a fellow Finn I understand the pain of almost every cheap (sub 1500) car of any value being a sedan. Regarding price tho my Mercedes orb that I also panic bought in need of a cheapo car recently was just 900€ :sunglasses:

@Executive In Northern Europe market cars heated seats are as standard as a blower and a radio is higher luxury so doesn’t say much

4 Likes

That’s interesting, me over here in the UK getting aircon as standard equipment on my trim level of corolla but heated seats not being available, and a radio standard across base models of every car in the lineup at the time is completely different to what Northern Europeans demand over there

Hehehe, I remember when I posted my 1985 230E W123 on Retrorides back in the day, someone was very surprised that one did exist with manual windows and heated seats… :rofl:…more or less any W123 in Sweden is equipped like that so I had never thought that way. :stuck_out_tongue:

Apparently, hot days are rarer in the far north of Europe than elsewhere on the continent (including the British Isles) - hence the lack of A/C on lower-end trims being sold there at the time.

3 Likes

You’re kidding! And here I was expecting that on my next trip to the north pole I’d be walking around in 40c weather. Who’da thunkit? :rofl:

5 Likes

They way you describe the Corolla as a sensible sedan makes it seem like (at least to me) that you don’t like the fact that it is sensible. Some solutions to this problem include using cardboard and duct tape to create downforce, using vinyl to make some exotic leather, or pink spray paint.

3 Likes

Corintian leather :stuck_out_tongue:

I were thinking about calling it luxury saloon or JDM racer but decided to stick with the truth. Doesn’t get much more sensible than this.

I’ve seen enough Canadian cars to know that many of them got heated seats in base or low trim models while US cars only got them in top trims. I was puzzled seeing heated seats in a base trim 2012 Civic that didn’t even have power locks. I forgot if it was still registered in Canada or if it had been brought down. You can just as easily register 90% of Canadian cars in the US as you would a US car, so it could be either or.

USDM Corollas of that generation never got heated seats to my knowledge, maybe Canadian ones did. But by the looks of it, it can probably be retrofitted easily.