IMP Automobilbau - Heavy Bois

Okay, come back sooner or later! :slight_smile:

Spierdalaj s moej zhiemi!
I mean… See you around.

@szafirowy01 @Oskiinus

I am not going away at all, I’ll still be around and maybe even drop a few lore expansion posts, mostly centering around engines (hint), but no new cars for a while.

1 Like

Currently on leave, which means I have time to do the one thing I can’t. Explore the concept of Heavy Utility vehicles beyond the limits of the game. But how does one do it? I sure as hell can’t present any ingame content, as I am sure you’ll know that a man’s truck simply isn’t possible to make in game as there are no bodies suitable to pass for one (except maybe the cabover vans), dual rear wheels are not possible, and so is a Diesel engine with cylinder sizes far exceeding what is possible with the engine designer.

Bear with me this one is going to be text heavy. A short history of IMPs heavy trucks until 1978. Why 1978? Because 1978 was the year heavy utility vehicles were moved to the Monolith brand and because IMP was quite experimental until then which resulted in countless weird, wonderful and world moving innovations and Concepts.

Part I

IMP was created in 1913 by a former DMG (a predecessor of Daimler Benz) engineer as a third party constructor and manufacturer of internal combustion engines for a variety of purposes. Being based in Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, first successes were found in repairing and building marine engines. In 1915 IMP absorbed the local truck manufacturer Nahber-Friedemann-Werke*, gaining access to their production facilities. The escalating great war nearby resulted in high production numbers of the unchanged Nahber-Friedemann until 1918. During 1919 work on modernizing the outdated trucks with new frames and IMP designed engines. The 1921 IMP La3t 45 was therefore the first true IMP truck, with a 3 ton payload and a 50hp 4.5L engine. A 5 ton version with a 5.2L engine followed in 1923. That year however french troops invaded the area and seized the nearby coal mines, causing the german government to literally print money which resulted in a hyperinflation of the Reichsmark currency. IMP however managed to survive the chaos and continued to expand, culminating in a 7-ton truck with a 9L six-cylinder petrol engine in 1929.

In the meantime highly efficient high-speed Diesel engines began to pop up all over the place and IMP had their own ready in 1932, a 9.4L six-cylinder with pre-chamber injection and 85hp. Smaller 6.9L and 5.5L diesel engines appeared in 1933, just as a historical change of leadership would change germany forever. Not bothered by politics (yet), the Diesel engines proved so successful that gasoline engines were phased out by the end of the decade. Other innovations were the introduction of four-wheel drive in 1935 for construction and mining companies (later found to be useful in the rasputiza of the russian wilderness) and the flagship 10-ton WK series in 1937 with an overhead-cam, 190hp 13.8L Inline 8 Diesel with an optional Roots-type supercharger.
The remilitarization of Germany was highly beneficial for IMP, who had become the country’s second largest manufacturer of trucks by 1938, and even attempted to break into the passenger car market with the highly advanced L8 and L12 in 1937. Of course come the outbreak of WW2 all production was military-only, making extensive use of forced labour by POWs and Concentration camp prisoners. IMPs leadership, while officially aligned with the regime, believed that a high quality of the product could only be achieved by a healthy workforce, and at least tried to ensure human working conditions for everyone without raising attention. At last an in-house coup in 1943 ousted the old leadership and working conditions took a drastic turn for the worse. Coincidentally so did the quality of the finished trucks. In the later stages of the war the main Factory was a popular travel destination for allied bombers. By May 8th 1945, production had all but stopped.

Shortly after, now under british rule and with the pre-1943 leadership reinstated, production recommenced with heavy damages to the facility and severe shortage of raw materials. Down to two models, the 1 1/2 ton VK and the 3-ton NK, IMPs trucks were a valuable asset for rebuilding the country. 1947 saw the introduction of the 5- and 7-ton RK series with new OHV Inline 6 or Inline 8 engines and up to 140hp. The RK was a massive success that was also exported globally and even received a redesign in 1955.
From leftover US trucks IMP managed to secure and dissect a number of GM Diesel two-stroke engines. An IMP reverse engineered 4-71 engine was introduced in 1949. From that point on all existing Diesel engines were quickly replaced by two-stroke Uniflow engines ranging from a 3.0L Inline four to a 10L Inline 8 with over 250hp. Two stroke Diesels would become a mainstay of IMPs trucks until changing customer demands spelled an end to them in 1969, with the last one commercially sold in 1964. From then on IMP would reintroduce an all new line of direct injection four-stroke Diesels with optional Turbocharging.

During all this IMP had cooperated with the competitor Büssing to develop an underfloor engined cab over truck like this example:

The idea behind the underfloor engine was quite ingenious, the engine tiled 90° and mounted far behind the cab removed the heat and most of the noise being emitted into the cabin by a traditional standing engine (especially advantageous for IMPs legendarily noisy two-strokes!), it allowed for a more spacious cab with a flat floor and low entry sills, and removed the need for a tilting mechanism of the cab as the engine was perfectly acessible for maintenance work. Finally the considerably lowered center of gravity resulted in excellent road holding. It also allowed for this:

Büssing Supercargo, a mid 1960s prototype using the flat engine concept to its full advantage and use the entire length of the truck as cargo area. I’ve seen this thing in person last year, odd-looking to say the least, lower than most cars and probably an absolute monster on the racetrack.

However the mid-engine design was unsuitable for all-wheel drive and other trucks designed for off-road usage, as the engine and its accessories were totally unprotected against dirt, weather, salt and other evil stuff you don’t want on your engine, it was also not possible to use this design for articulated semi-trailer trucks due to the short length of the traction engine. The IMP underfloor engine was therefore only available on rigid long-wheelbase lorries, which made it unfeasible for mass production. It was in production from 1959 to 1964, when a new range of conventional COEs was launched with the new four stroke engines.

*Nahber-Friedemann-Werke is a fictional company made up to expand the lore, any similarities to existing companies are unintentional

Conclusion of Part I. Part II to follow, going a bit more in-depth on the four-stroke 400D15 engines and the S64 and S76 heavy Cabovers that carried them and made IMP the true King of the Road. In the meantime I’ll also be swinging my artistic sword to give you even more reading pleasure with Illustrations and technical information.

7 Likes

1948 Advertisement for the IMP RK5-110, which featured a 5.5L Inline 6 engine with overhead valves, pre-chamber injection and 107hp, the most powerful 5-tonner available at the time. Power is sent to either the rear or all four wheels through a partially synchronized 5-speed gearbox. It had a top speed of 80kph and more importantly consumed just 19.1L of furnace oil per every 100km (this equates to 12mpg US). The entire first series of the RK line would sell ~58.000 units from 1947 to 1955.

7 Likes

Engineering News! How exciting!

11 Likes

Thank god I made these screenshots before the latest update.

Impakt Super in Impact Red, which starts life as Pink and gets turned into an energetic cherry red by adding ten coats of translucent deep red.

This is the first fully fledged UE4 IMP, the 2018 Impakt with the new 2.25L I6. Those who’ve clicked the link in the previous post know what that means. This Impakt offers unprecedented variety in terms of powertrain options.
Between 175 and 324hp, each engine available with a 7MT or 8AT, RWD or AWD, standard mechanical LSD, optional air suspension on the Impakt Super. No trim levels, each Impakt is fully custiomizable. Naturally also in Station Wagon bodystyle. The 2.3 and 3.4L Diesel engines with 160-320hp are unchanged, and so is the S1 with its older 3.8L V8 and 435hp. A few retouches to the styling round it all up.

2017 Impakt for comparison:

If the 260R-Concept shown at this year’s LA Auto Show will make it to production has yet to be decided.

5 Likes

What a way to make an Impakt! OK, so the latest update has rendered this remaster non-canon, but it still looks and feels as good as it did in Kee.

2 Likes

Kan’t Remember A …

@stm316 Consider it a riddle that requires studying the company history to correctly identify.

But of course. I am starting to feel that this is becoming my Scarlet Mk.3. Some inappropriate music:

Any lore based changes due to the switch? Not really, only a 2.5L I6 base Diesel with 160hp available from launch (1995), and the Montblanc Off-Road package (4WD, height adjustable air suspension, locking center and rear differentials, low range transmission), formerly 4SW, has been reduced to the 400D and 380S Station Wagons. Also no 5.8 or 6.0 V8 on Station wagons, only the peasant 370hp 5.0 V8

4 Likes

It’s no Ro80, but the Belvedere body fits perfectly with the design language established by the C-Body based Mk.III L6 of Kee origins.

The 1966 F65 is the successor to the 1960 F60 Europa, and retained most of its engines in a far more advanced chassis. A 1.7 and 1.9L SOHC Inline 4, a 2.7L OHV I6 and a 2.3L OHV I6 Diesel, as well as the 3.1L SOHC I6 for the Super trim. Later on the Super also got the option for the Fuel injected 3.6L G-Type V8 from the L6.
What made the F65 stand out from other european executive cars of the time was not its very american coke bottle styling or its unique V8 option, but its transaxle chassis with fully independent double wishbone suspension and four-wheel disc brakes. This was obviously done to serve the sole purpose of increasing traction in difficult weather conditions such as snow and thus safety but had the side effect of giving excellent handling for a car its size and weight. As a result the robust F65 became a darling of the transcontinental rallying scene.
It was also a very successful car despite the high price tag, selling nearly a million units until it was replaced by the F76 Magnum in 1977. Other bodystyles included a 5-door Station wagon and the Monolith V-350 Van with a conventional RWD layout and live rear axle.

The F65’s formula was deemed so good that all subsequent IMP passenger cars have adopted the transaxle layout and use it to this day.

7 Likes

Tales from the IMP Conservatory: 1945-1955

The IMP 2400 was a large saloon car equipped with a 2.4L straight six engine of pre-war origins, it was the first non-commercial passenger car sold by IMP after the war. The design itself had been finalized in 1939 and was supposed to be an entry level model for the then relatively new car division. Due to the war and the susbsequent rebuilding effort it would take another ten years until the car finally reached production.

• 2.4L Inline 6
  • 75-100hp
  • 1949-1956
  • 3,400 units sold (approx)
7 Likes

The 1952 L6 was the first new passenger car developed after WWII. Built around a robust monocoque with independent front suspension and a coil sprung live rear axle with a panhard rod and anti roll bars only a four door saloon bodystyle was available. The two ton behemoth was powered by IMPs new overhead camshaft 3.8L Inline six engine initially with 155hp, making it the most powerful german production car at the time of its introduction and capable of 180kph. Later models featured more power and an optional two-speed GM automatic transmission.

• 3.8L Inline 6
  • 155-200hp
  • 1952-1960
  • 1872 units sold
9 Likes

The IMP 1500 (also referred to as the F53) was launched in 1954. Mechanically and stylistically it was a scaled down L6, and powered by a new cross-flow four cylinder engine with an aluminium alloy cylinder head. A floor mounted 4-speed manual transmission was standard. An 1800cc engine and a 2000cc inline six were made available in 1955. The F53 was the first mass-produced car by IMP.

• 1.5L I4, 1.8L I4, 2.0L I6
  • 65-90hp
  • 1954-1960
  • ~14600 units sold

The IMP S180 was a sports version of the F53, only available as a two-door sedan. It was based on the 2.0L Inline 6 engine, but triple carburettors and classic tuning increased engine power to 115hp. The name was chosen du to its 180kph top speed. Wire wheels and dual headlights distinguished the S180 from its tamer counterparts.

• 2.0L Inline 6
  • 115hp
  • 1957-1960
  • 755 units sold
9 Likes

The IMP GT was a four seater sports car sold by IMP between 1961 and 1977 in two generations. The first model was supposed to be launched in 1959 but was delayed due to high demand for the small Teuton sedan. The GT is the last IMP vehicle to bear the 1950s design language with baroque shapes and lack of the distinctive elliptic headlights. Mechanically it was up to the highest standards of its time, with a three-link live rear axle and an aluminium alloy OHV straight six with hemispherical combustion chambers, which produced 105hp in standard form and 130hp in triple-carb form. In 1964 the 2.0L engine was enlargened to 2.7L and produced 165hp. 1966 saw the most major change to the new DOHC 3.6L V8 with 225hp and standard five-speed manual transmission, accompanied by a modernized exterior and interior. The GT S-V8 was a very fast machine, but also a lot more comfort oriented than its six-cylinder predecessors which resulted in a drastic weight increase from 1270 to 1410kg. In 1968 the GT S-V8 was replaced by a radically different and futuristic successor. The Straight sixes are more desirable to purists, while the effortless V8 has the broadest appeal and can be found most easily especially from the US.

• 2.0L or 2.7L Inline 6 OHV, 3.6L DOHC V8 Fuel Injected
  • 105-225hp
  • 1961-1968
  • 2448 units sold
12 Likes

The only luxury (F segment) estate, if I’m not mistaken. Interesting idea.

Sort of like a Lister Storm. 1.6 ton tank of a car. 1997 Model year. Huge great big naturally aspirated 7.0L V8, 750hp in race trim, 650 road legal. There were 15 of those. Seen here in IMR Motorsport White and Purple livery, without sponsors.

11 Likes

im not one for old cars, (2009 and below) but, that looks good!

This is NOT an IMP, although it got very close.

This is number 29 of 44 1987 Hermes Supercontinental Prototypes. You know, the failed 1980s Supercar made from granite.

Since the Company went bankrupt just before the car could be put into series production, these 44 Pre-production cars made their way into private hands since all of them had VIN numbers and type approval and were thus completely free to be registered and driven. Many were swapped to cheap and easy to maintain mass-produced V8 engines from a variety of american makes, some were converted into race spec, one was converted into a rallye car, and about 10 kept their original V8 engines including No.37 which had since been stroked to 7.0L and twin turbocharged. A few were even painted in colours other than nicotine beige.

And then there was No.29, the most radically tuned of them all. This example found itself in the posession of Pneumatech Automotive Systems AG, a german based engineering company specializing in tyre technology and pneumatic systems for Cars, Trucks and Industrial equipment.
Pneumatech would go on to completely rework the entire body, chassis, drivetrain and suspension as a test bed mainly for real world high speed tyre testing. Initially the only modification was the fitting of a new type of electronically controlled self levelling air suspension system, which would (in upsized form) later find its way into several high-end trucks. Eventually after hundreds of thousands of km the worn out engine needed to be replaced with something newer, more powerful, and reliable.
Since Pneumatech was an important supplier of IMP, this relationship was crucial in securing a development mule of the yet to be released IMP VR60 V8 in 1994. This Quadcam brute of an engine produced 100hp more than the outdated 6.4L while being nearly 100kg lighter as well. With 450hp the vehicle was now capable of exceeding 200mph even with the ancient 3-speed automatic still installed, and the car became a valuable asset in testing high-performance tires. But the car began to show its age, after over 400,000km with a largely original frame. As a final sendoff, in 1996 the Supercontinental was yet again sent back to IMP, or rather the IMR specialty cars division.
There, the car was completely stripped of all its parts, which were then each refurbished and updated to modern specifications. The chassis was fitted with carbon fiber reinforcement beams, the rear driveline subframe was removed and instead the engine became a stressed chassis member with prototype Pneumatech active engine mounts for isolation. The air suspension was once again uprated to include active roll stabilization, the car was put on fresh high performance tyres in 255/45R18 up front and 325/35 R18 at the rear, and the body panels were restyled in a wind tunnel to give a more modern appearance and improved aerodynamics. Also the Interior was redesigned to look more modern.
But the party piece was the engine, the 6.0L V8 had been bored and stroked to 7.5L, fitted with higher lift camshafts and individually balanced rotating assembly. Oddly enough, the compression was actually lowered to 10,5:1 instead of the original 11,5:1, which enabled the use of cheaper 95 RON fuel. Also new was the gearbox, a modern 5-speed automatic unit lifted straight from the IMP Opera. The result, called the VR75X1, produced 610hp and 760Nm of torque.

The old yuppie’s dream could finally live up to the expectations it failed to meet in the late 1980s, with a top speed of over 220mph, massively improved comfort and stability, even improved fuel economy. It is rumoured that when the car was presented at the major 1997 Auto shows, Pneumatech and IMP received several blank checks for a ten year old car made by a company that closed its doors in 1989.

Even so, in 2000, the car was once again sold off to a private person for the reasonable sum of DM350,000, a great value considering the millions of development money that went into it during the decade prior, and the lifetime warranty with full coverage granted by IMR due to its unique prototype status.

If you ever wanted a Supercar from IMP, a 1987 Hermes Supercontinental with over 650,000km and almost no original parts might just be the only chance you’ll ever get.

8 Likes