IMSA Automation GT Challenge '78

@Speedemon is there any turbo penalty or not?
Also what is the deadline?

With turbos comes terrible drivability which in-game affects your lap time and increases the chance of you crashing in the calculations. The deadline is in the OP.

(I will do some fine tuning with the calcs to make the drivability penalty bigger)

3 Likes

Might have a car for this… We’ll have to see what I can come up with.

That’s not what @Speedemon said on Discord.

Can we get some actual clarity on this?

MY78 Bogliq Coyote GTS-R

Since the IMSA is being hosted in the USA, the marketeers at Bogliq chose the Coyote variant of the Fox chassis. Designed to go head to head with the local pony cars, the Coyote featured a efficient yet powerful 4L V8 and was ideal to be turned into an IMSA contender.

Bogliq Coyote GTS

The race version of the GTS was badged “GTS-R” and featured flared guards and an enlarged 5L version of the standard Coyote’s V8, supplied by Leeroy Racing. The interior was a spartan affair and the combination of the crossplane arrangement of the V8’s crank and hand-built extractors meant that, on full noise, the Coyote’s wail was nothing short of supernatural!

Bogliq Coyote GTS-R

Here are some stats to keep everyone satisfied until raceday!!!

0-100Km/h
GTS: 6.7 sec
GTS-R: 5.1 sec

Q/mile
GTS: 14.94 sec
GTS-R: 13.02 sec

Top Speed
GTS: 216.7KM/h
GTS-R: 284.4 Km/h

8A40E
Power: 153Kw
Torque: 333Nm

LR8A50AE
Power: 345Kw
Torque: 510Nm

10 Likes

If your car is over 1115 kg, the limit is 3500 cc. If the car was over 1190 kg the limit is 4500 cc.

@Speedemon I know I’m being picky here, but I am struggling to get a car that is vaguely usable without using an Auto locking differential. They’re definitely disallowed under the “locking differential” clause right?

They are disallowed under the “No Locking Differential” rule, but if other people are having issues with this I can make arrangements to lift the ban.

It’s ok, I can work with it. I mean, these machines are supposed to be completely undrivable so… :wink:

Yes, and I knew this would come up. As it’s called by some others, that’s just too “memey”. Not realistic. The locking differentials are for offroad purposes and it doesn’t make sense that you would use it on a racetrack.

2 Likes

I, for one, think it’s hilarious to have a high-power burnout machine.

Burnout? More like one tire fire :wink:

3 Likes

I was under the impression they were experimented on, with weird results!

I’m pretty sure NASCAR uses some kind of locker. A couple of months ago Kyle Busch lost his left rear right out of the pit lane and drove around the whole track dragging the frame. Which isn’t possible with an open diff.

Its my understanding that the use of some form of limited slip differential is common in some racing and spools in drag and dirt tracks. I have no problem with the open differential rule here.

1 Like

Why would you make the driveability penalty bigger?

This would make it rather biased towards NA engines… It’s takes both knowledge and good tuning to make a car with turbo and decent driveability.

Or does the turbo give that much of an unfair advantage?

The way the regulations are set up means you can build either a turbocharged engine or a naturally aspirated engine with identical capacities. Obviously people would choose the Turbocharged engine because you could make a lot more power out of it than the N/A engine. However, their car would become less drivable than if they went N/A for obvious reasons. We want to make sure power doesn’t overcome drivability. We don’t want someone who has an extremely powerful and fast car with only something like 10 drivability to always come out on top. Realistically, they would need to drive carefully to avoid crashing and making mistakes, making them slower. Hope that clears things up.

7 Likes

From what I gather it’s just that Automation doesn’t consider the fact that both tyres are forced to spin at the same speed (making it rather difficult to take a corner), rather it just works as a sort of multiplier for the offroad score and reduces wheelspin - this last thing is what makes the car faster. If I’m wrong though, do let me know

1978 Sinistra Savage

Old Man Sinistra’s big attempt to revitalize the flagging sales of their flagship land-yacht involved basically taking the 1977 Savage and doing only a few small modifications to it. Steel was swapped for aluminum to lighten the car, the engine was redesigned to be lighter, and the end results are in.

Sinistra Savage (Street Version)

Designed to be at least comfortable-ish for what it is, only 662 will be produced. One for every cubic inch of engine.

Sinistra Savage (Race Version)

With an engine built from metal smelted in the fires of hell, and assembled at midnight under a full moon, this version of the Savage is unleashing the full insanity. Luke Sinistra is not trying to stop any rumors about deals with the devil to make this car work, and in fact, appears to be encouraging it. Several four-cylinder engines were ritualistically sacrificed just for good luck before race day.

Yes, I’m bloody crazy, but someone had to do it.

13 Likes

It’s only 1775kg now! :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Aluminum engine, aluminum panels. The Savage went on a strict weight-loss plan.

4 Likes