IP Automotive LTD. (1982-92 Urbana)

Funky!

Thanks! I really tried my best to nail the aesthetics of how something trendy should look during the iMac era and I think I somehow got it right.

(The protruding inside door handles needs fixing I see now, wasn’t that obvious when putting the interior together)

This is neat!

2 Likes

Do You make facelifts? Just a question

I guess I should do them for realism…but generally I hate doing them since it complicates having multiple bodystyles… :tired_face:

Copying fixtures is (should) be your friend. I haven’t tried it for facelifts yet, but I have thought of a simple system for making pretty much any version combo just by pasting sets of fixtures onto a body.

The Rubiq is made very seriously indeed. It may well get the title of the most folk car.
Of the pluses, I noticed:

• Optimal suspension height.
  • Comfortable tires
  • light upholstery. But I would replace the alcantara with velour, it would fit much better into the concept car.
  • cool square design
  • excellent visibility
  • huge interior space
  • It has properties of a carriage - mobile with the big comfortable zone for back passengers.
  • Simple, friendly, appearance, without attachment to the status swagger.
  • Questions remain about the large steering wheel. But perhaps it’s such a retro stylization, and there is no power steering.
2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words, that was about what I was aiming for with the design. Took some inspiration from cars like the Nissan Cube, Nissan Pao, Toyota BB, Ford Flex and actually also the Renault 4 (but as a more modern interpretation of course), and for the cargo area wood trimming, the Volvo Duett (after all, a good idea that still holds up).

3 Likes

Facelifts are usually easy, in my case i add way to many fixtures on the front, and then in takes 5 minutes to remove them , but I usually I do them.
(an example, i can delete this if you want)

2 Likes

The facelifting in itself is maybe not that hard, but it complicates things if you have, let’s say, a coupé, a sedan and a wagon on the same platform. Sure, I could always learn some of the new-fangled copy buttons instead of being stuck in 2018 too, but…

3 Likes

You dont have to facelift cars, but usually a car, take for example your IP Brigadier, I would give a facelift, somewhere around 2005.

The Rubiq (built for QFC26) looks like it’s built on one of the Relay body sets, and its retro-futuristic styling brings to mind contemporary retro-styled tall wagons such as the Chrysler PT Cruiser and Chevrolet HHR.

As an aside, I could have repurposed my QFC25 entry (built on the same body set family, but in a different size) for QFC26, although its greater weight and higher costs (both upfront and long-term) scuppered that plan.

It is indeed the Relay body. What is its IRL counterpart BTW?

1983-88 IP PANDORA

The third generation of the Pandora was released late in 1983. Like its predecessors, it was a light, affordable RWD sports coupé.

Underneath, more or less everything had changed, though. The engine was an all new 1.8 litre SOHC unit, the solid rear axle was dropped in favour of a semi trailing arm suspension.

Two bodystyles were available, a 2 door notchback coupé (shown) and a 3 door liftback.

Three trim levels were available. The base model DX, by no means spartan, having the creature comforts you could expect from an 80s compact coupé. The GTX, that replaced the carb of the DX with multi point fuel injection, and added a bodykit, alloy wheels, colour matched interior plastics, glass sunroof and a leather steering wheel. The top of the line version was the GTT (shown). Adding 15 inch wheels, a limited slip differential, digital dash and a turbocharger bumping up the power to 136 hp (with surprisingly good driveability for a turbo of its era).

The GTT could only be had with a 5 speed manual. The DX and GTX had a 4 speed automatic as optional equipment.

The third gen Pandora was produced until the 1988 model year.

8 Likes

That mirrored “turbo intercooler” is a lovely detail :smiley:

2 Likes

The interior is beautiful, what color code did you use? I would really love to include it in one of my models. Good job!!

I can look it up later to confirm, but I THINK that it might have been 45000C.

That might be as iconic as Primus Pistachio Beige.

45000C is a dark burgundy red - I like to use it as the base hue for a deep, lustrous metallic claret.

1 Like

It probably can be a nice exterior colour too, yes. However, it was what I used for the interior here.