IP Automotive LTD. (1982-92 Urbana)

The Rubiq is made very seriously indeed. It may well get the title of the most folk car.
Of the pluses, I noticed:

• Optimal suspension height.
  • Comfortable tires
  • light upholstery. But I would replace the alcantara with velour, it would fit much better into the concept car.
  • cool square design
  • excellent visibility
  • huge interior space
  • It has properties of a carriage - mobile with the big comfortable zone for back passengers.
  • Simple, friendly, appearance, without attachment to the status swagger.
  • Questions remain about the large steering wheel. But perhaps it’s such a retro stylization, and there is no power steering.
2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words, that was about what I was aiming for with the design. Took some inspiration from cars like the Nissan Cube, Nissan Pao, Toyota BB, Ford Flex and actually also the Renault 4 (but as a more modern interpretation of course), and for the cargo area wood trimming, the Volvo Duett (after all, a good idea that still holds up).

3 Likes

Facelifts are usually easy, in my case i add way to many fixtures on the front, and then in takes 5 minutes to remove them , but I usually I do them.
(an example, i can delete this if you want)

2 Likes

The facelifting in itself is maybe not that hard, but it complicates things if you have, let’s say, a coupé, a sedan and a wagon on the same platform. Sure, I could always learn some of the new-fangled copy buttons instead of being stuck in 2018 too, but…

3 Likes

You dont have to facelift cars, but usually a car, take for example your IP Brigadier, I would give a facelift, somewhere around 2005.

The Rubiq (built for QFC26) looks like it’s built on one of the Relay body sets, and its retro-futuristic styling brings to mind contemporary retro-styled tall wagons such as the Chrysler PT Cruiser and Chevrolet HHR.

As an aside, I could have repurposed my QFC25 entry (built on the same body set family, but in a different size) for QFC26, although its greater weight and higher costs (both upfront and long-term) scuppered that plan.

It is indeed the Relay body. What is its IRL counterpart BTW?

1983-88 IP PANDORA

The third generation of the Pandora was released late in 1983. Like its predecessors, it was a light, affordable RWD sports coupé.

Underneath, more or less everything had changed, though. The engine was an all new 1.8 litre SOHC unit, the solid rear axle was dropped in favour of a semi trailing arm suspension.

Two bodystyles were available, a 2 door notchback coupé (shown) and a 3 door liftback.

Three trim levels were available. The base model DX, by no means spartan, having the creature comforts you could expect from an 80s compact coupé. The GTX, that replaced the carb of the DX with multi point fuel injection, and added a bodykit, alloy wheels, colour matched interior plastics, glass sunroof and a leather steering wheel. The top of the line version was the GTT (shown). Adding 15 inch wheels, a limited slip differential, digital dash and a turbocharger bumping up the power to 136 hp (with surprisingly good driveability for a turbo of its era).

The GTT could only be had with a 5 speed manual. The DX and GTX had a 4 speed automatic as optional equipment.

The third gen Pandora was produced until the 1988 model year.

8 Likes

That mirrored “turbo intercooler” is a lovely detail :smiley:

2 Likes

The interior is beautiful, what color code did you use? I would really love to include it in one of my models. Good job!!

I can look it up later to confirm, but I THINK that it might have been 45000C.

That might be as iconic as Primus Pistachio Beige.

45000C is a dark burgundy red - I like to use it as the base hue for a deep, lustrous metallic claret.

1 Like

It probably can be a nice exterior colour too, yes. However, it was what I used for the interior here.

Given its nature, 45000C as a metallic color works best on premium and luxury cars, especially those from the 1980s onward.

1991-95 IP ICARUS

Released in the early 60s, the IP Icarus were for many years the largest and most luxurious “regular” car from the brand. The Royalist was after all just hand built on special order.

In 1991, the eighth generation Icarus was introduced. The styling was a little less boxy and conservative, underneath the new, sleeker body the main news was the multilink suspension in the rear, replacing the semi trailing arms of its predecessor, and the optional 5 speed computer controlled automatic. The manual transmission option was dropped for this generation, meaning that the standard transmission was a 4 speed computer controlled automatic.

All the gasoline engines were the same 18 valve V6 that had been powering the Icarus since its sixth generation, the 4 cylinder engines had been dropped already at the launch of the seventh generation. In its base spec it had a displacement of 2 litres and was naturally aspirated. There were also a 3 litre N/A version and a 3 litre turbo version. Diesel versions all had a 95 hp 2.8 litre N/A inline six.

There were many equipment levels available, from the lowly “DX” models (mainly for fleet sales) to the ultra luxurious VIP. The model shown here is the “GLT”, a more sports oriented trim featuring the 3 litre turbo.

If 255 hp wasn’t enough, the turbo version could be equipped with a tuning kit from IMOS (IP Motorsports), like the car pictured here. 295 hp gave it a top speed of 271 km/h and a 0-100 time of 5.8 seconds, competitive with the best luxury sports sedans of the era.

Even on the inside, IP aimed to be competitive in the top segment. Choices of materials should be on par with the toughest competition, as well as the styling. As the first model from the company, all models except the DX featured a standard passenger side airbag to also keep safety on par with the best competitors.

Another new feature was the optional CD player. Depending on trim level, it could be had as a 4- or 5-seater, with the VIP having its rear seats individually adjustable. Velour or leather upholstery were available, the DX could be specially ordered with vinyl due to being aimed at the fleet market.

With the bar in this class being raised quickly, the eighth generation Icarus lived on until 1995.

10 Likes

This is a Lexus GS/Mercedes E type car, right? Anyways it looks very nice, much more detailing than I put into my cars.

Yes, IRL they would absolutely be among the closest competitors.

1 Like

1993-97 IP ROYAL VAGANT

The IP Vagant was released in 1968, to fill the slot below the Icarus. In 1989, a new, slightly smaller, front wheel drive, V6 powered Vagant was introduced. Since there was fear that it would scare away some of the more conservative buyers, the inline six, RWD line was continued under the name “Royal Vagant”.

The second generation Royal Vagant was introduced in 1993. The news underneath was mostly a multilink rear suspension, like the one introduced in the 1991 Icarus, other than that it remained fairly traditional.

Only one bodystyle was available, a 4 door sedan. It could, however, be ordered in multiple trim levels, from the fleet oriented DX, via the more luxurious GLX, and the top of the line, turbocharged GLT.

Three gasoline engines were available, all of them inline sixes. 2 litre N/A, 2.5 litre N/A and 2.5 litre turbo. Also available was a 2.8 litre inline six N/A diesel.

For the gearbox, your choices were a 5 speed manual, 4 speed computer controlled automatic, or 5 speed computer controlled automatic.

For its time, the Royal Vagant in its GLX and GLT iterations had a fairly decent level of standard equipment. Safety was upgraded from the previous generation, featuring things like dual airbags and an optional traction control system.

Despite that, it was not a top seller. It squeezed into a quite tight segment, between the regular FWD Vagant, the more luxurious Icarus and the sportier Celestia models. What kept the model series alive was probably DX models for fleet markets in Asia.

That also means that there was only one more generation of the Royal Vagant released after this one got a replacement in 1997. In 2002, Royal Vagant production came to an end.

9 Likes

I really like how you build a fleshed out lineup, with all the models having some logical reason and place to exist… and stop existing. Do you have a timeline or sth showing how all of those models are positioned? TBH I’m lost in IP’s sedan offer, despite following the brand :smiley:

4 Likes