JOC6B - A New Wave (COMPLETE)

1964 Bazard Belwood

This compact don’t quit!

Price ------------- $11,000
Powerplant ------ 3.6L V6
Economy -------- 18.2 MPG
Enthusiasm ----- 10.2s 0-62

And complete with Bazard’s world-class reliability,
to keep you and your dimes running 'till the end of time!

9 Likes

The all-new full-size Navajo from Colorado Motors!

Equipped with the brand new B-Series V6 engine producing 140 horsepower! The new model also features an all-around independent suspension setup and a modern, rigid monocoque body and disc brakes!

The Easy-Does-It package is now standard in all models! The pack contains power assisted steering, brake servo and a fully synchronized four speed gearbox!

All of this can be yours for just 4.799 !!!

5 Likes

(graphic design is my passion)

Gallery

24 Likes

Cor! thats a proper looking sedan. Is it British? sure gave me that vibe

It sure is

Dalluha Coach & Motor Works presents the...

1964 DCMW Sharriallat Standard Six (US spec)

The early 1960s were a rough patch for Dalluha and DCMW. As if it weren’t enough that the damage of several refinery fires in the latter 1950s still disrupted fuel supplies, natural disasters in 1960 and 61 diverted attention and resources further. Then, in the midst of reconstruction in early 1962, the Prisman Missle Crisis developed. While all the saber-ratling and schoolyard drama thankfully amounted to nothing militarily, the one solid consequence of that brouhaha was an economic embargo that resulted in DCMW being unable to sell to the West. In 1963, its Hetvesian subsidary Norðwagen began selling rebadged DCMW in Gasmea, while in other markets, DCMW were allowed to be sold under certain conditions as part of a more gradual phase-out.

The US-market model year 1964 Sharriallat was among these. While its Norðwagen counterpart, the Fenrir, was sold in some western markets, the DCMW badge persisted until the end of the year in others.

This was the second generation of the nameplate, whose concept and development details, as well as the first generation, are elaborated here. For the second generation, the modular rear subframe unit developed for 1958 Sharriallat Supremacy models found its way to all trims, and mechanical fuel injection was fitted to Superiority and Supremacy trims. While the Standard had to make do with a single Strenith-Zomberg 2-barrel carburetor, by now it was fitted to DCMW’s second generation of R6 engines, in this case the 6R643-27K-S150.

With its 150hp tasked with moving a <1200kg unibody via the rear wheels, performance was ample while running costs remained reasonable.

The canonical Sharriallat or Fenir is a mid-spec 12-cylinder, but a more affordable specification of six-cylinder models found a small but dedicated niche market for a shooting brake with a satisfying blend of performance, comfort, style, and everyday usability.

We at DCMW have high standards. The base model, the Standard Six, includes air conditioning, leather seat inserts, and other amenities often considered as part of a Premium interior. Other equipment includes vacuum-assisted brakes with front disks, full-size fold-down rear seats, an AM radio, automatic choke with manual override, a 4-speed transmission with full synchromesh on all forward gears, and many other features that lower-priced competitors feature at additional cost if at all. For the $14500 that the US-market Sharriallat Standard begins at, it’s typical DCMW: you don’t get the cheapest option, but you get what you pay for.

11 Likes

Reminder: Only a few days left to submit! Submissions due by 2024-07-27T10:00:00Z

I currently have entries from the following:

@Edsel
@GAlexZilla
@Mintymoon
@Vento
@nvisionluminous
@0rangeGhost
@Riley
@Ch_Flash
@Mad_Cat
@S4HUN
@AndiD
@crwpitman1
@PhirmEggplant
@Happyhungryhippo
@Banana_Soule
@VanZandt_Breda
@fabiremi999
@GassTiresandOil
@06DPA
@Atomic
@xsneakyxsimx
@Dog959
@Hilbert
@moroza

Please let me know if I am missing you.

8 Likes

1964 Cordelia Horizon
Hot stuff from across the pond - fit for Americans and Europeans alike!

None of us here at Lugoff Import Wheels speak French, so we have no idea what the baguettes put in it. An easter egg of a car!

Judging by these press photos they seem to have given it an engine in the front, a couple of seat rows in the middle and a trunk in the rear. Innovative stuff!

9 Likes

1964 Ariete SH-8
A compact, sporty hot hatchback coming to an ariete dealership near you, combining the practicality of a hatchback with the sportyness of a v8, the SH-8 balances two worlds for a unique experience!

Starting at $14,800

(my first time taking real pics myself, lmk if it looks bad lol)

JOC6b-bdub1_-_SH-8.car (42.1 KB)

5 Likes

Submissions are now closed.

Thanks to everyone for participating!

5 Likes

@Riley, @supersaturn77, and @GAlexZilla, I am still missing ads. Please post ASAP!

3 Likes

I was super lazy. V8 wagon very cool

4 Likes

CENTURIAN REGALIA

The People's Limousine

When you need not the excesses of the Sultana,
the more attainable Regalia proudly serves.

3-Litre Inline-6, 4-Speed Automatic, Full Leather Interior,
Optional Powered Windows, and Air Conditioning.

Luxurious, Swift, and Comfortable for $52,000

Lore
A conversation between a used car dealer and a potential customer:
GOLLY! 4 speed automatic... full leather seats... powered windows! optional air-conditioning! FIFTY TWO GUH-RAND! Good lord!
Hold your horses, this right here ain't exactly the trim on that brochure. This here's one of the low end trims. Goes for about 35000 brand new.

thats still quite steep for my shoes. Im looking for something under 15 for the family. 17’s pushin it real far mister.

Well then you're in luck son! This here has the fuel sippin four banger making decent power 'stead of the usual Inline 6. Standard interior, nothin fancy. 5 speed manual.

The poor fellow who owned it loved it so much, he went through all the hassle of importing one here. Y’know its very well maintained, low mileage, AND, not even a year old! Heard his business venture in our great land of opportunity went bust and is now desperate for cash. How desperate you ask? well… 13500 desperate.

Good lord… Now that’s a great bargain!

Boy I'd bet driving this home to the wife oughta impress the lady. Heck.. She'd think you'd swindled me paying that much for such a premium vehicle!

Oh boy does that sound very VERY appealing… I’ll have a think about it…

11 Likes

A very simple one this time, I’m quite rushing this. Ah well.

The 1964 Audax Heartland, the final year of this generation, with all the improvements you could ask for since the debut at the turn of the decade. Seen here is the Deluxe trim, featuring a well-appointed interior (not pictured), an advanced suspension setup, a thrifty inline-six and practical four-speed standard gearbox. Premium has never been so affordable!

7 Likes

Part 1 - The Imports

[Note: There are no bins! Vehicles are presented in the order their ads were posted, not in order of scoring, so don’t panic if your car is mentioned early or celebrate because it shows up late. Also, while some of these cars specifically said where they’re from in their ads, I’m just guessing on some. So your car may unexpectedly appear or not appear in this category.]

Wendy was at home, finishing putting away groceries she bought that afternoon. The shopping trip wasn’t exactly the most pleasant experience. Since she, Earl, and all of her in-laws were relying on one pickup truck to get everywhere they go, Wendy had to find a time to drive to the supermarket when the truck wasn’t needed on the farm or by one of Earl’s younger siblings. Of course, once she found a time to take the truck, her mother-in-law, Mabel Bauers, decided that she would take advantage of the opportunity to go along with Wendy and do some shopping of her own. So, Wendy had been picked up earlier that afternoon by Mabel for a ride to the supermarket that was…less than enjoyable.

There was more than one reason for that. One was the truck. As she rode along with Mabel, Wendy felt every jolt and jostle through the suspension that had been built much more with load-hauling than comfort in mind. The thin bench seat didn’t help. As they bumped along the road to town, Wendy daydreamed about making this same trip in a few weeks in a new car that would smoothly glide over the road while she sank into a plush, nicely upholstered seat.

Another reason the ride was less than pleasant was Mabel. Wendy always got the feeling that Mabel felt that Wendy wasn’t good enough for her boy Earl, or that she thought Wendy was a bad influence. Maybe it was because they both liked rock and roll. And of course, since Earl and Wendy married, Wendy had endured Mabel’s judgment–both silent and not-so-silent–about her housekeeping and cooking. Mabel had been delighted, however, to learn that she was going to be a grandmother, and Wendy got the feeling that she was getting more silent judgment and less not-so-silent judgment from Mabel lately. She guessed that was Mabel’s way of trying to make peace with Wendy. Still, as she and Mabel made polite small talk punctuated by some awkward silences, Wendy couldn’t help but wish that she had a radio to turn on to make the silence and small talk less painful. Of course, the radio would have to be tuned to something Mabel found “respectable,” but it would be better than nothing.

Wendy had endured the same experience on the return trip and had breathed a sigh of relief when Mabel finally dropped her off at home. In fact, the ride home had probably even been worse because Wendy had started feeling nauseous from morning sickness–it was funny how they called it “morning” sickness when it didn’t only come in the morning–and had endured a heavy dose of silent judgment from Mabel about the frozen TV dinners she had purchased at the supermarket. But Wendy knew that Earl liked those TV dinners, and they would come in handy for their plans that evening.

Now, the aroma of the TV dinners was wafting from the oven, the groceries were almost put away, and Wendy was expecting Earl’s younger brother to drop Earl off any minute now on his way to his 4-H Club meeting. She heard an engine, a squeak of brakes, the heavy thud of a car door, the front door opening, and “Wendy, I’m home!” She caught a glimpse of Earl coming through the front door and going up the stairs to wash up before dinner after a hard day of work on the farm.

“Dinner’s almost ready!”, Wendy called up to Earl.

“Great, can’t wait!”, came the reply.

Wendy could hear water running upstairs as Earl washed up. Her kitchen timer dinged, and she carefully pulled two piping hot TV dinners out of the oven (with her oven mitts on, of course), and placed them on TV trays in the living room. The newspaper had said there would be a program on that evening talking about new import cars, and Wendy and Earl had planned to watch it that evening to see if there was anything that caught their eye.

Wendy walked over to the television, turned it on, and twisted the tuner to the right channel before taking a seat behind one of the TV trays. Earl came bounding down the stairs with fresh clothes on and plopped into the other chair.

“Oooh, chopped beef! My favorite!,” he said as he looked at his tray and picked up a fork. “Did I miss anything?”

“No, it’s just starting.”

As music to the title slides died down, the TV host appeared on the screen. “Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to this evening’s program. The American auto industry is an industrial juggernaut that has long dominated sales here in the United States and made robust sales in foreign markets as well. But in recent years, automotive manufacturers in other countries have been making enough strides to cut into the American manufacturers’ sales–including right here in America. Tonight, we’ll be taking a look at some of the import models now offered for sale in the United States to see if these automobiles have what it takes to serve the needs of the American consumer.”

As footage of a car started to play, the announcer continued in a voiceover.

Ponto Fiorenzi - @Hilbert

“The first vehicle we look at tonight hails from Italy. The Ponto Fiorenzi is an automobile that defies categorization–part hatchback, part station wagon, part van, and quite unlike anything else on American roads today. But the body style means that this vehicle offers some of the best space and practicality you can find in any compact vehicle. It’s also an automobile that’s extremely easy on the wallet, with a purchase price of only $9,620, gas mileage of an astonishing nearly 30 mpg, and the second-lowest expected servicing costs of any vehicle we tested. Expected reliability is solidly average, so we don’t expect it will spend too much time in the shop. In large part thanks to its small footprint, it also handles extremely well in everyday driving. A responsive engine, manual steering, and the Fiorenzi’s small size provide a dose of fun while driving it too.”

“But there are drawbacks to this vehicle too. In particular, testers noted that in spite of its reasonably well-trimmed interior and excellent radio, the overall experience of riding in Fiorenzi is quite uncomfortable. While it maximizes its small footprint, its cabin in fact remains small and rather cramped–especially when loaded with the full 6 passenger complement it’s supposedly designed to carry. The suspension tuning is also on the stiff side, which makes bumps come through in harsh jolts and makes it challenging to take the Fiorenzi on any unpaved surface. And while it may be practical, it won’t earn you any envy from the neighbors.”

“We were also concerned with how such a small vehicle would hold up in a collision with the large vehicles that dominate American roads. In fact, while the Fiorenzi comes with standard safety features, its small size makes it one of the least safe vehicles on the road today.”

“All together, the Fiorenzi makes for an appealing vehicle for the budget-conscious shopper who is looking for an inexpensive, reasonably practical vehicle and is willing to accept some compromises in comfort and safety.”

Wendy looked over at Earl. ”Well, I like everything about it being inexpensive, practical, easy to drive, and fairly reliable, but I’d really like to have something that is a lot more comfortable than what this sounds like.”

Earl gulped down a forkful of chopped beef.” Well, I did like that they said it’s a little bit fun to drive, but it sounds like there are sportier rides out there. And we agreed we wanted something that’s safe and doesn’t feel ‘cheap’–and I’m not sure this one fits that bill.”

Wentworth Oxford 1.8L - @Dog959

The announcer continued. “Next, we look at a hatchback vehicle from Great Britain, the Wentworth Oxford. The Oxford advertises its advanced suspension system and other technological advancements like an engine that is mounted across the engine compartment instead of the traditional front-to-back way. Indeed, there are some ways that the advanced technology of this automobile makes it standout. In particular, its advanced safety features put it among the safest vehicles on the road in spite of its compact dimensions, and it’s a surprisingly effective offroad vehicle. While the $13,000 purchase price is unremarkable for this class, long term savings can be expected from its lower than average servicing costs, excellent 26 mpg fuel economy, and slightly above average reliability record. The hatchback packaging also makes for an overall practical design, and it handles better than many other vehicles on the road.

“But for all of its talk of an advanced suspension system, the Oxford is solid but unremarkable in comfort, largely due to the slightly stiff suspension tuning and the lack of an automatic transmission. It also offers little in the way of driving fun, with a small 4-cylinder engine capable of only 80 horsepower.”

“Overall, the Oxford is a practical, reliable, and reasonably comfortable vehicle that stands out for its safety and low operating costs, as long as driving fun is a low priority and you’re willing to accept some minor compromises in comfort.”

Earl started talking through a mouthful of peas. “I don’t know, I’d really like something that’s more fun to drive than that one. Only 80 horsepower? We already have a truck that has just enough power to get the job done–I want something with some real speed!”

“I know,” Wendy replies, “but it does sound like a good car overall. Although I was a little disappointed that it didn’t seem to be particularly comfortable.”

Mara Companion 1.3 WA - @AndiD

Images of another hatchback popped up on the screen as the announcer continued. “The Mara Companion 1.3 WA, imported from Archana, just might be the least expensive vehicle you can purchase in America today, with an upfront price of $6,900. That’s right, less than $7,000 for a brand new car. If there’s a less expensive car out there, we haven’t been able to find it. We also estimate that the Mara is the least expensive new car to service, and it offers very good fuel economy of nearly 24 mpg. The Companion is also quite competent on rough roads, or even offroad, and there are very few cars on the market that can match its exceptional reliability record. It also handles easily in day-to-day driving.”

“But the Mara’s low price comes with compromises. Its engine produces an anemic 46 horsepower, so there are no sporting pretenses with this automobile. And while the ride isn’t overly stiff, and interior fixtures–including a radio–are of reasonable quality, the Mara’s compact footprint makes its interior cramped and uncomfortable on the whole. Safety features are also outdated, which, when combined with its small size, makes the Companion the most dangerous vehicle on the road for its passengers, in our estimation. Access to the back seat is also difficult due to the lack of rear doors, so it is less practical than its hatchback body might suggest. And unsurprisingly for its price, it’s overall a rather basic vehicle that won’t leave your neighbors impressed–and might even leave them chuckling at you behind your back.”

“So if getting something cheap and reliable to get you from point A to point B–including over rough roads–is your top priority, the Mara is an excellent choice. Just beware that these low costs come with abundant compromises you’ll have to be prepared to make.”

Wendy shakes her head. “I’d love to have something inexpensive, but it sounds almost like they took our pickup truck and shrunk it into a hatchback. We already have something that’s cheap to run and reliable.”

Earl nods in agreement. “Yeah, if this was the only thing we could afford, I wouldn’t say no, but since we have some more money set aside, I don’t think this one is likely to be worth a second look.”

Fratelli Frui Chiara 2600 Berlina - @Mintymoon

The screen changes to images of a small yellow sedan. “The Fratelli Frui Chiara 2600 Berlina is quite a mouthful of a car that hails for Italy, but the length of its name is matched by the overall quality of this vehicle. The Chiara features a new front-wheel drive design, and this compact sedan is by far the best-handling vehicle we have driven recently–none of the other vehicles we tested even came close. Fuel economy was also an outstanding 29 miles per gallon and the Chiara’s reliability record is unparalleled. Service costs are anticipated to be lower than average, and the Chira is able to navigate rough roads with ease. Although safety features are quite basic, the monocoque chassis design provides competent crash safety on the whole. Comfort isn’t exceptional, with a suspension that is slightly stiffer than ideal for comfort, but the Chiara is reasonably comfortable on the whole.”

“While compromises are few with the Chiara, there are some. The sedan’s reasonably responsive engine and good agility give it a limited dose of sporting soul, but a true driving enthusiast likely will want to look elsewhere. The upfront purchase price of $13,400 is also on the higher side for the class, even if it won’t exactly break the bank.”

“On the whole, the Chiara is a compelling package with class-leading handling and reliability, outstanding fuel economy, and few true weaknesses to mention. With the exception of the true driving enthusiast, we would easily recommend this vehicle to anyone shopping in the compact class.”

A smile had been growing on Wendy’s face as she watched the Chiara segment. “Can we go look at one of those!? It sounds like everything we’re looking for!”

Earl looked a little glum and gave a sigh. “I guess you’re right. There’s a lot to like about that one. I just wish they’d had better things to say about its sportiness. But who knows, maybe it will be more fun to drive than they say.”

SUMA L303 Civilla 112 - @Banana_Soule

The next segment began. “While the SUMA Civilla might look like an American automobile of a few years ago, this sedan is actually an import. While the extremely similar front and rear designs might leave you wondering if this car is coming or going, buyers are likely to find its modest upfront purchase price of $10,600 and lower than average operating costs quite attractive. Expected reliability and safety are also somewhat better than average for the class, while the large trunk for its footprint makes it a reasonably practical vehicle. And while not designed as a true off-road vehicle, the Civilla should have little trouble handling unpaved roads.”

“But the Civilla fails to impress with its handling ability and ride comfort, which are only average for the class. While the interior is handsomely trimmed and equipped with a high-quality audio system, ride quality is a bit of a let down, and the interior space is a bit cramped. It also offers little for the driving enthusiast. While engine power and acceleration are decent, the throttle is slow to respond, and steering feel is vague.”

“Overall, the Civilla offers a solid overall package for everyday use at an attractive price, as long as a fun driving experience isn’t high on your list. But if you want a vehicle that truly stands out from the crowd, you’ll need to look elsewhere.”

Wendy set down her fork. “That one sounds like it might be worth looking at if they had better things to say about how comfortable it is.”

Earl said, “It sounds like it’s a pretty good car, but I don’t know if there’s really a standout reason to go look at it. And you know I’d like something that’s more fun to drive than this.”

Clari Coqui - @Vento

“Our next vehicle this evening is an odd-looking hatchback, the Clari Coqui. The Coqui certainly leaves an unusual first impression, with an extremely large split grille–with a grille within each grille–oversized turn indicators that appear to be competing for space with the headlights, and a massive metal piece separating the two grilles. The Coqui’s door handles are also extremely low, making for an uncomfortable process of bending over to open a door, and the rear is dominated by extremely large badging for the vehicle. The windshield wipers are unusually mounted at the top of the windshield, while the antenna extends out from the roof.”

“But if you can get beyond the Coqui’s polarizing looks, there’s a lot to like about this vehicle. The Coqui handles soundly in everyday driving, feels agile, and has a responsive engine that can accelerate the Coqui to 60 miles per hour in under 9 seconds. As a result, we found it to be one of the most fun-to-drive vehicles in this market segment. With a plush interior and sophisticated independent rear suspension, the Coqui also offers an outstandingly comfortable experience inside. While the upfront price of $14,600 is on the high side for the class, we anticipate overall costs of ownership to be average thanks to reasonable servicing costs and overall fuel economy of 18 mpg. The hatchback design also makes the Coqui a practical automobile, and safety is sound overall.”

“The mechanical drawbacks to the Coqui are limited. Its reliability record is slightly below average, and it could struggle if faced with rough, unpaved roads. But on the whole, if you find yourself on the ‘love it’ side of the ‘love-it-or-hate-it’ styling and can afford the upfront purchase price, the Coqui offers one of the most well-rounded packages you can find in a modern compact automobile.”

Wendy raised her eyebrows. “Well…maybe it looks better in person? I don’t know about the way it looks, but it sounds like just about everything else about this car is more or less what we’re looking for. $14,600 is still within our budget, right?

Earl nodded. “Yes, that’s close to as high as we can go on the price. And I do like what they said about it being fun to drive. 9 seconds to 60 is quick! Maybe we should go take a look at one and see if it does look better in person.”

KD 1600 GT - @06DPA

The program continued. “Next, we look at the KD 1600 GT, which bills itself as ‘exotic European motoring on the cheap.’ This hatchback certainly delivers on the ‘cheap’ part, with a starting price of only $9,430. That makes it one of the least expensive vehicles we tested. We also anticipate very low servicing costs, nearly unmatched fuel economy in excess of 29 mpg, and an above average reliability record. This makes the 1600 one of the overall cheapest cars to own in its class. The 1600 makes for an effective daily runabout, with very good handling and practical storage space thanks to its 5-door hatchback design. A standard suite of safety features makes the 1600 reasonably safe in a crash, and it is also extremely effective at navigating rough, unpaved roads.”

“There are a few drawbacks to the 1600, however, especially in the comfort department. While the interior is trimmed with rather ordinary-looking but sturdy materials, the radio provides only a tinny-sounding single speaker. While the engineers of the 1600 did an excellent job tuning its suspension for a balance of comfort and handling, the fundamental suspension setup isn’t particularly sophisticated. As a result, ride comfort is only mediocre. And if you’re looking for a sporty driving experience, look elsewhere. The 1600’s anemic 54 horsepower engine won’t get you anywhere fast, steering is vague, and there’s plenty of body roll when cornering. We also observed that while the 1600 is cheap in price, it also manages to feel quite cheap as well. This isn’t the car to buy to impress your neighbors.”

“On the whole, the 1600 is a cheap, reliable, and practical runabout great for handling daily errands. Just don’t expect much comfort or excitement along the way.”

Earl swallowed a mouthful of baked apples. “This reminds me of the one they talked about earlier…the Mara? We already have a pickup truck that gets us from A to B without much drama, and it seems like that’s exactly what this car does too.”

Wendy finished dabbing her mouth with a napkin. “I think you’re right. At least this one has a radio, but I would really like something very nice and comfortable if we can afford it.”

Accurate L155 LVO - @fabiremi999

The program returned from a commercial. “The Accurate L155 LVO is a sedan hailing from Great Britain that promises ‘the ultimate in civilized fast motoring.’ The L155 features a very responsive engine, good cornering grip, and a dash of oversteer to deliver on the promise of a sporty driving experience that exceeds most of the competition. It’s also easy on the wallet, with a purchase price of only $9,110, lower than average servicing costs, and middle-of-the-pack fuel economy of 18 mpg. It’s also a reasonably practical car for day-to-day use.”

“But the L155, while delivering a sporty experience, is still outclassed for driving enthusiasm by a number of competitors, and the sporty feeling comes at a significant compromise to comfort. There are other drawbacks as well. In spite of a set of advanced safety features, the L155’s small size and frame-based chassis put it towards the bottom of the class for safety. The car’s sporty turning and responsive throttle can also make it a bit of a handful in day-to-day driving. Most concerning for us, the L155 features an extremely sophisticated–and unusual–engine with not one, but two overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder. This design must have looked good on paper, but in practice it proves to be an overcomplicated engine that had several mechanical issues just during our testing. By our estimation, these engine issues make the L155 one of the least reliable vehicles on the road and overshadow the other attributes of this car.”

“While the L155 delivers a sporty experience at a low price, the overcomplicated, unreliable engine prevents us from recommending this automobile to the motoring public.”

“Ymgh,” said Earl, with a mouthful of food.

“What?”

Earl swallowed. “I said ‘Yikes.’ I don’t like the sound of those engine issues, even if it does sound like a pretty fun ride.”

“I agree,” said Wendy.

Winson Sapphire 2200 Touring - @Mad_Cat

A sophisticated-looking sedan now showed on the screen. “Another British sedan, the Winson Sapphire 2200 Touring, is certainly a handsome vehicle. It also offers very good handling, an affordable $11,200 purchase price, and good–although not exceptional–servicing costs and fuel economy. Its monocoque chassis design and advanced safety features prove good crash protection, and the Winson is more than capable of handling a rough road. We also found the radio was excellent.”

“But the Winson fails to deliver a particularly comfortable ride to its passengers, in part due to its rather cramped cabin. And while it delivers a bit of driving fun, it’s no speed demon with a 90 horsepower engine. Its reliability record is also somewhat checkered.”

“The Winson ultimately delivers a bit more than its competitors in some categories and falls a bit behind them in others, standing out as neither particularly good nor particularly bad in any way. If you’re looking for a reasonably-priced all-rounder, this might be the car for you.”

Earl, his tray empty, looked over at Wendy’s only half-eaten dinner tray that she had been picking at gingerly thanks to the nausea from her morning sickness. “Are you going to eat that?”

“No,” said Wendy, handing the tray over to Earl. He took the tray and, before digging into the leftovers, asked, “What do you think of this car?”

Wendy looked thoughtful. “I don’t know, it seems…OK? It doesn’t seem like there’s anything particularly wrong with it, but it just seems like there have to be better cars out there.”

“I agree,” said Earl. “Not to mention that with only 90 horsepower, I’d love to get something more powerful.”

DCMW Sharriallat Standard Six (US spec) - @moroza

[Note: Something went wrong with the windows reverting to default paint on import, and I was able to sort of fix most of the windows but couldn’t figure out which fixture was the triangular front window section.]

Wendy and Earl turned back to the TV announcer, who was talking about a fancy but somewhat outdated-looking station wagon. “The ‘D’ in DCMW stands for ‘Dalluha,’ which is where the DCMW Sharriallat Standard Six hails from. Advertisements for the DCMW promise ‘a satisfying blend of performance, comfort, style, and everyday usability,’ and it mostly delivers on these promises. It handles reasonably well in daily driving, provides good cornering grip, and comes with a responsive 150 horsepower engine that launches the DCMW to 60 miles per hour in just over 8 seconds. The interior is both plush and spacious for the vehicle’s size, and it rides smoothly. In fact, we would say that the DCMW provides comfort unparalleled in its class. Its reliability record is also excellent. Crash safety is also anticipated to be good thanks to standard safety features and monocoque construction.”

“There are a few drawbacks to this automobile, however. While servicing costs and fuel economy are reasonable, the $14,500 sticker price is a bit steep for the class. It also didn’t inspire confidence over dirt roads, even if it ultimately handled them competently. But our biggest gripe is the lack of rear doors and the fact that there are only two seats in the rear, which means that the ability to carry passengers–and get them into and out of the vehicle–is rather limited.”

“Overall, our gripes with the DCMW are minor and few. While we’re not sure if the DCMW has quite as much ‘everyday usability’ as promised without rear doors, it certainly does deliver a satisfying blend of performance, comfort, style–and reliability to boot.”

Earl had quickly polished off Wendy’s leftovers. “Well,” he said, “it looks like the styling maybe hasn’t been updated in a couple years, but this sounds like a pretty good car.”

Wendy nodded in agreement. “If it had rear doors and another seat or two, it might be just about perfect. It might be a little hard getting kids in and out of the back, and it would be nice to have a larger bench seat back there. But those might be pretty minor issues overall.”

9 Likes

Part 1 - The Imports (Continued)

Cordelia Horizon - @Ananas

A somewhat quirky-looking hatchback–or was it a sedan?–came up on the screen. “The lone French offering of this evening is the Cordelia Horizon. The Horizon handles nicely in daily driving, and even does so with a good dose of sportiness. The responsive 140 horsepower engine accelerates the Horizon to 60 miles per hour in under 9 seconds, and cornering grip is excellent. It also doesn’t compromise on comfort. While the ride is a bit firm, it’s not overly so, and bumps are absorbed well. The interior is plushly trimmed and, at least in our tester, had the unusual feature of a phonograph. On the whole, the Horizon is both one of the sportiest and most comfortable vehicles we tested. The hatchback design also enhances its practicality. Gas mileage is good, and the Horizon can competently handle rough roads.”

“But while the Horizon stands out positively in many ways, it also stands out in some negatives as well. One area it stands out for the worse is cost, both its $15,000 sticker price and the extremely high anticipated servicing costs. And for that price, the Horizon doesn’t even come with a full bench seat in the back, instead opting for two bucket seats. Its ladder frame is poorly designed for crash safety. And like the Accurate L155, it also features an overly complicated dual overhead camshaft engine with 4 valves per cylinder that makes the Horizon’s reliability quite suspect.”

“Overall, the Horizon offers both a sporty and comfortable ride that few other automobiles can match. But these standout qualities come paired with significant drawbacks in cost, reliability, and safety. Whether the good outweighs the bad, well, we think that’s something each buyer will have to decide for themselves.”

Wendy had shifted in her seat to sit with her feet curled under her. “I’m a little nervous about what they said about reliability, cost, and safety, but I did really like what they had to say about comfort. I would love to have something that comfortable.”

Earl had slouched back in his chair, his hand on his full stomach. “I also liked what they had to say about it being fun to drive. 0 to 60 in under 9 seconds is quick! I don’t know, it might be worth checking out.”

Centurian Regalia D - @GAlexZilla

The announcer continued. “Our final automobile of the evening is a handsome sedan that bills itself as ‘the people’s limousine.’ While we’re not inclined to describe anything riding on a 106 inch wheelbase as a limousine, there’s much to like about the Centurian Regalia. Its suspension is extremely well tuned for predictable everyday handling, and power delivery is smooth and predictable. There are very few better-handling cars out there. Gas mileage of about 26 mpg is excellent, and reliability is top-tier. Comfort is also better than most thanks to a fully independent suspension and an interior that, while using ordinary-looking materials, is put together with extremely high quality materials and excellent attention to fit and finish. Safety and service costs are about average for the class, and the Regalia is more than capable of handling some rough, unpaved roads.”

“We found a few quibbles with the Regalia, which might not matter depending on customer budget and preferences. First, the $13,500 is a bit on the higher side for the class. Second, the Regalia offers little in the way of driving excitement. Throttle response on its 85 horsepower engine is on the slower side, and the Regalia feels leisurely on the road. Finally, the Regalia we tested came with only 4 seats, making it less practical for passenger-carrying duties than an automobile with a full rear bench–or front and rear benches.”

“On the whole, the Regalia offers a refined, comfortable, and reliable package for drivers who need little in the way of excitement on the road.”

Wendy turned to Earl. “I like the sound of that one! It sounds very comfortable, it’s within our budget, and it’s reliable. It would be nice if it had a few more seats, though.”

Earl sighed. “Well…I know it sounds like something you would like, but it really didn’t sound very exciting. I know it checks a lot of the other boxes, but only 85 horsepower? That’s barely more than our pickup truck, and you know that thing isn’t what anyone would call fast.”

Earl and Wendy’s Rankings of the Imports

Earl got up, switched off the TV, and stepped out of the room for a moment, returning with a notepad and pencil. Earl and Wendy discussed the program they had just seen and, after some back and forth, came up with a ranking of the cars that Earl jotted down, from last to first:

• Accurate L155 LVO - unreliable engine, not very comfy

• SUMA L303 Civilla - solid car, not sporty, not very comfortable

• Mara Companion 1.3 WA - practical, reliable, too basic

• KD 1600 ST - also practical, reliable, too basic

• Winson Sapphire Touring - thoroughly OK, no standout features

• Wentworth Oxford 1.8L - good car, only average comfort, not sporty

• Ponto Fiorenzi 868 - practical, great on gas, not very comfortable or sporty

• Centurian Regalia D - comfortable, reliable, not sporty

• Fratelli Frui Chiara 2500B Berlina - practical, not very comfortable, not sporty

• Clari Coqui - good overall, but looks?

• DCMW Sharriallat Standard Six US spec - really comfy, pretty sporty, no rear door

• Cordelia Horizon - also comfy and sporty, good on gas

Then came the discussion of which of these cars to test drive. They quickly agreed on the Cordelia, the DCMW, and the Fratelli Frui. They were on the fence about the Clari but ultimately decided they would take a look to see what they thought about it in person. Wendy made a case for the Centurian, but Earl was insistent that he refused to consider it because he didn’t feel it was sporty enough.

Top 4 advance to finals.

[Note: The rankings here are based on pure calculations off of the game stats and do not account for the realism/design factor. That factor will be considered in the finals, so the finalists will not necessarily finish in the same order in the finals. They will also have to see how they stack up against the domestic competition.]

9 Likes

Superb job with the reviews, especially for your first time hosting!

I’m not sure what drove me to make a 2-door when the shape clearly invites 4. Doh.

The glass is Mds glass. But what happened to the paint altogether?

The styling may well look outdated on the American automotive landscape, but across the pond, whence the Sharriallat’s inspirations hail, these looks were very much contemporary. All 1964…

Rover P5

Lagonda

Lancia Flamina

5 Likes

Looking forward to seeing how the domestic competitors stack up to all these imports! I wonder how many opted for solid rear axles. I almost did, but Audax as a brand always pushes the fancy stuff, so fully independent was the call.

1 Like

Yep!

Common export-reimport goof. Happens with custom materials, also a thing that appeared a lot in CSCS.

You answered yourself there already. Earl and Wendy are Americans. Their simple rural lifestyle won’t make them conaisseurs about the design of conservative British saloons. So their judgement related to domestic cars is totally valid, no matter how many examples from overseas you can show.

I built a motorized post carriage from Wild West times…

I propably won’t stand a chance with the Globus here, but I am curious.

1 Like

I didn’t do anything with the paint, so I assumed you had intentionally changed the paint scheme for the ad. Don’t worry, I’ll look primarily at your ad photos for any design judging in the finals since I know the export/import got all kinds of messed up.

3 Likes