Journey of ownership 2 - Rising Star - Part 2D (REVIEWS ON HOLD)

JOC2C - Round 3 Part 1 - Five test drives

Ken arose the next day and phoned up the dealerships of the remaining 5 vehicles on his list: Armor, Watson, Wells, Primus, and Mayflower all claimed to have cars on their lot to drive. He then phoned Bruce and asked him to join, eager to keep up the pace with his car search. Of course Bruce was as excited as Ken and didn’t have to work until tomorrow, so they took advantage of the time.

Bruce offered to pick and drive Ken to each dealership “just in case” he wanted to make a snap decision and sign for one on the spot. Good friend, that one. heh.

Their first stop was at Mayflower, just a few miles down the road. On the way, Ken shared his thoughts on the brand.

“I don’t know much about this one, to tell you the truth. It always seemed to be high-class luxury.”

Bruce replied, "Well, I decided to pick out the most expensive car first, and you’re right, it isn’t cheap. But look at you, Ken, you earn it every time you strap in and fly those scary new jets. You deserve to live a little. This beast sells for almost 31 grand, but I’ve looked into it and it might be worth it. Let’s just see what you think when you drive it.

Ken realized how good a friend Bruce had become, and he had even improved his own surfing skills watching Bruce’s technique and effortless method.

“Deal, buddy. Let’s go see the thing” Ken affirmed.

Mayflower Sixth Avenue

Upon arrival, Kenneth met with the sales folks and found the person he reached on the phone earlier. He had the keys at the ready and walked Ken to the car outside. Ken walked around the wagon, gently touching the chrome and woodgrain accents on the sides, noting the build quality. It had a nice presence and the earth tone interior and exterior was easy on the eyes. He opened the driver’s door and sank himself into the luxurious interior.

@S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T

“OK, I’m starting to see the big deal here. Can we drive it?” Ken asked the man, who’s nametag read “Frank”

“Of course! Easy on the throttle, Mr. Bower. This car has over 240 horsepower!” said Frank as he opened the passenger door for Bruce.

“No problem, Frank, I’m used to at least 20,000 or so.” Ken chuckled to himself while doing the quick math in his head converting pounds of thrust of the engines he’s throttled up recently. It was probably a low estimate, given his latest Mach 2 flights.

“Frank” Bruce called out to the salesman from across the dash, “He flies, I fix” as he used his hands to form a plane taking off - expressing that Ken flies for a living.

“Got it sir, have fun!” Frank replied, slightly bewildered by his customer’s response.

Kenneth pulled out of the lot and started test flying…er… driving the Sixth Avenue. He noted that while the car had tons of space, it wasn’t all that easy to drive at all. It was reasonably comfortable, and the full disc brakes were a nice touch, but the rears locked up somewhat readily. Bruce explained it probably did better when it was towing or hauling, a plausible explanation. Ken brought it back to the dealership after a few miles, and gave the keys back.

“I’ll let you know, Frank.”

OOC
The Mayflower is the most expensive car of the bunch, and has quality bumps in the interior, suspension, brakes, etc. Subjectively, it ranked 1st place. Attention to detail was off the chart. The wrap-around tail lights, stout front grille, accents everywhere, I could go on. It wears the widest radials with a nice cushy sidewall, typical for the class. It ranks dead last in Drivability, 1st in Safety, and and midpack in the other stats.

Wells Big Chief

“Time for something different!” Ken exclaimed to Bruce

“the Chief is definitely different, I’ll give you that” Bruce responded, while heading to the dealership just a couple blocks away.

The two reach the Wells dealership, exchange pleasantries with the salesman as before, and go out to the Big Chief sitting on the lot.

@DuceTheTruth100

“I’m looking at a convertible utility truck here, with 4x4, locking diff, the works. Where’s the 8-track?” called out Ken to the salesman, this one named Bill.

“Sir, our Chief comes with a luxurious AM radio” Bill quipped. This wasn’t the answer Ken wanted to hear, and in fact all the other cars up to this point had 8-tracks. Maybe the aftermarket had a solution, who knows.

Bruce spoke up as he walked around the Chief and asked Bill in the same tone, “Why does this truck have staggered tires on these wire wheels?” Even that spec missed Bruce in his own research because it didn’t quite make sense in his mind.

Bill became somewhat nervous but replied, “Uh sir, nobody really has ever noticed that before. I really don’t know why.”

“Ken that’s going to up your maintenance costs for sure, I hope it was for a good reason. I wonder which size the spare is” Bruce questioned to himself.

Kenneth, slightly bewildered by the Wells offering but eager to drive the only utility vehicle on his list, took the keys from Bill and joined Bruce who was already in the passenger seat, feeling out the stark white and blue interior. It certainly made a statement.

The drive was quite comfortable if not sporty, and a little excursion into a nearby field proved it was indeed offroad capable. Despite the lack of power, it offered impressive cornering and braking.

A few miles later, Ken had his impression and returned the Big Chief and its keys to Bill.

“You know, these utility vehicles are pretty interesting, not sure it is for me but I’m glad to have driven it. I bet it would do well in the beach sand with the 4-wheel drive” Ken told Bill.

OOC
The Wells Big Chief is the only SUV in the crowd, and has real potential. A few engineering choices felt off, as the flavor text explains. A lack of 8-track radio, the pinnacle of audio technology at the time, was a miss compared with all the other entries. The staggered tires didn’t make sense and never will on a 4x4 with locking diffs. Think about it, that’s not going to work IRL. The Chief was 1st in Offroad, last in Prestige, 2nd in Comfort, and so it went back and forth in objective measures. Subjectively, the Chief ranked 8th on visuals, low ranked because of porportion problems. The small front and rear overhang with a massive wheelbase, on small wire wheel 15’s just didn’t impress the subjective judges. The interior was nice, but stark white on blue felt a bit like being in a speedboat.

Continued shortly!

5 Likes

Technically, staggered could work on a 4x4 if the gear ratios in the front and rear axle were different, but that would be an odd solution to say the least. :rofl:

2 Likes

I saw someone do it with an AWD '32 Ford hotrod, but there was A LOT of math involved.

1 Like

I could not for the LIFE of me get rid of the damn oversteer warning :unamused:…so one size up on the rear corrected everything smh… our engineers suck

1 Like

I don’t know how wide your tires were, but usually my first attempt to fix oversteer is to make the tire width narrower on everything.

1 Like

Round 3 Part 2

Primus Imperator MLF 570i

The morning continued as Bruce motored toward the outskirts of town, where the remaining 3 brands dealerships resided. Next was Primus, to drive the MLF 570i.

@Happyhungryhippo

The salesman on the lot opened up the Imperator and let the two look around.

“This is one of those cars that looks better in black and white, like my research docs” muttered Ken.

Bruce stood wide-eyed a bit, taking it all in. “Gotta agree with you, buddy. This interior is garish in person. Exterior is a nice warm tone, though I do not like the lines.”

Ken put on his aviator glasses which helped with the intensity, and continued walking around the car, while acknowledging Bruce’s opinion, which he shared. “Rear end looks OK though, except this huge chrome door handle back here…In fact the whole car really is missing details the other models have. Its more, em… down to business I think. Is it because it is a base model? What’s the price on this one?”

The salesman Jovan quipped, “This model Imperator is offered at 28,700 so-equipped…would gentlemen like to drive it and experience the hydropneumatic suspension?”

Bruce looked at Ken and said “Yeah, that’s this car’s ace in the hole, Kenneth. This thing has a state-of-the-art suspension, full discs, and should drive like a dream. Oh…and its another car that thinks staggered tires are the way to go, so make note of it.”

“Oh, right, which one is the spare, that sort of thing?” Ken asked his buddy, though he already knew the answer from Bruce’s face, visibly perplexed. “Yeah, let’s give it a go, Jovan.”

And so off the two went, and discussed the car while underway.

Ken spoke first, after feeling out the car. “Most comfortable by a longshot, and easiest to just put down the road and go.” The hydropneumatic suspension turned the choppy outskirt roads as smooth as glass. “It is nice in here, once you acclimate to the colors.”

Bruce responded, “Yep, plus I’m sure the dealership can find a different color combination, so don’t sweat it. But, you know, this tech comes at a cost. This one isn’t as reliable, nor as easy to service as the others. It isn’t the worst, but its close.”

“Points taken, buddy. I’ll think about it. I’m not so hot on the styling, anyway.”

Bruce merely acknowledged with a nod, fully aware that in the end, its gotta look as good as it drives to be worth taking home.

OOC
OK we gotta talk about this one a bit, and its engineering choices. The suspension was a bold move, and likely contributed heavily toward the #1 ranked Drivability and Comfort, so in the end, it was a great call because Reliability (ranked 8th here) is not as important as those former priorities. However, slapping staggered 185/70-15 front, and 205/60-15 rear tires was, in my opinion, not a great call. This decision pushed service costs to 8th place, and logically makes little sense. Objectively, the MLF 570i scores upper-midpack most elsewhere, which is great.
Subjectively, the car is ranked last place and I’m going to lay in on this one a bit, so take or leave my criticism. The interior color is indeed a wild berry/fuchsia which does not pair well with the otherwise-nice copperish exterior. The styling lines and decisions also drew negative marks. Oversized door handles, plain slab sides, and a grille that constantly makes me check to see if I’m using a fisheye lens, because no styling line on it is parallel to another.

I think if the parts were aligned to horizon, it might have turned out better.

Other entries really nailed the grille looks. This one made it to the top 5 because it was able to leverage technology and setup to get a few 1st place ranks, so that’s why it is here.

Moooving on,

Bruce pulled into the Armor lot, as Ken swiveled around in the seat, after spotting the Kestrel.

Armor Kestrel Brougham Wagon

@GassTiresandOil

“Oh my, it’s got the look” called out Bruce, his first time seeing one up close. Ken could only nod in agreement.

“Let’s get to it, then” replied Ken, who eagerly hopped out to look at the green beauty. He marveled at the hidden headlights, wondering if they used a similar mechanism to the landing gear bays he’s familiar with.

The salesperson this time around was a woman, a nice if not common occurrence in this time and age. She introduced herself to the men as Jennifer, and proceeded to open up the wagon. The interior was a soft cream white that looked as inviting as a scoop of ice cream on a hot day. The lines of the car were angular but purposeful, particularly so with the wrap-around rear lighting.

Ken became curious what all this luxury and style was going to cost him. He remembered that Bruce already showed him the most expensive car first, so he had the ceiling number in his mind. He asked Jennifer, “Um, what does this one go for, again?”

“20,800 for this trim, sir”, was her reply.

Ken continued around the car, eventually slipping into the driver’s seat. Bruce took his queue and joined him in the passenger seat. “May we give it a drive?”

“Gassed and ready to go, Mr. Bower” as she pointed to the keys already in the ignition.

Kenneth drove a couple miles in complete silence, taking it all in. Eventually, he spoke to his trusted friend, “This is a helluva car, man. It isn’t the fastest, but it does OK. But just look at all that space! It has tons of charm, too.”

Bruce enjoyed it too, and gave Ken the good news, “It really doesn’t have any issues. It runs on harder tires but it does fine on them, really. Its got a more traditional leaf-spring rear end, but again, no issues. Nice car, honestly. And, you’re driving the most rot-resistant car out of all of them.”

Ken pondered those words a minute and thought about it before replying, “Hmmmm, and that’s not nothing, Bruce. I’ve seen the rust-traps you restore. You must hate dealing with that stuff.”

“Worst part of the hobby, my man. I don’t know which one I hate more, rusted steel on my cars or aluminum corrosion in the hangar.” Bruce was using his hands as usual, to express his disdain. Ken could only nod as he turned the car around back to the dealership.

As he pulled up to the lot to hand Jennifer the keys, Ken remarked, “All this and a price that barely dents the wallet, not shabby buddy!”

OOC
The Kestrel Brougham Wagon is the jack of all trades and master of some, with a 1st place rank in Practicality, and Environmental Resistance, but sits either upper or lower mid-pack across all other objective markers. Subjectively. this is the 2nd best car of the lot. The lines are crisp, clean, and they carry the weight of the car well. The interior is just a nice place to be, and the colors are perfect 70’s understated panache.

Watson Atessa Grand Estate

Bruce pulled Ken up close to the door of the Watson dealership, and Ken quickly located the salesperson he spoke with on the phone to arrange the test drive. “Mick” was his name, and he greeted the two men with a firm handshake.

“Here to see our Atessa, sir?” Mick already had the keys in his hand, placing them in Ken’s hand as he spoke.

@Arn38fr

“Sure thing, let me just look it over and we’ll be off”, was Ken’s reply. The Atessa Grand Estate had a commanding presence, particularly from the front. The half-hidden headlights were a wonderful touch, along with the nice lines under them. The sides were half woodgrain, though the lines were not as fitting to the body as some of the other offerings. Not bad by any means. As he made his way to the rear of the car, he noted the sharp D-pillar line, but the rear lacked the same details the front did.

“Interesting car. I’m oogling over the front but not much else,” eventually Ken said.

“Let’s see how it drives, maybe it will grow on you. The interior here is nice, if you like green”, Bruce replied.

“Oh luckily, I actually do. Makes me feel cozy,” was Kenneth’s answer. And with that, Mick tossed the keys so the guys could take a spin.

Ken took a moment once underway to embrace the car’s characteristics. The interior was nice, but not as nice as the others he’s been in. It was the worst cornering and braking car out of the lot. The acceleration wasn’t much, either. “Bruce, give me good news on this one. The drive isn’t so hot so far.”

“Well, it isn’t really too bad at anything particular except it has the worst economy out of them all. That’s not really good news. It does well with a load, that’s for sure. It is also very reliable, which I certainly appreciate.” Bruce tried to give the positives but ended up with a head shrug.

Ken turned it around and headed back to the dealership, to hand Mick the keys.

“Let’s go get a bite to eat and talk these over”, Ken offered to Bruce. “I’m buying, you’ve been driving me everywhere today.”

Next up, Finals!

3 Likes

JOC2C Finals and Wrap up

Bruce tore into a Ribeye while Kenneth enjoyed a seafood boil.

“Worked up an appetite after all this, buddy.” Bruce said, happy to partner along but famished after the day. “You know I think you’ll like just about any of them, but think about all the good things that got you to buy your Rosson. Its gotta look good, sure, but its gotta last. At least all of these will definitely hold a pair of boards and in the end, I think that’s probably the biggest win here.”

Ken pondered how he felt between all the cars as he replayed the emotions and thoughts that went through his head. Each car gave a distinct and memorable first impression, and he continued thinking about each.

“I’ll tell you which ones it isn’t going to be, after driving them”, Kenneth said. “The Imperator is out. The style doesn’t do it for me, but also that reliability isn’t too hot. It just doesn’t have…“it”. And the Big Chief missed the mark too. Not as good as it could have been. Also can you imagine why they didn’t at least stuff a standard 8-track in the thing?”

Bruce shrugged to his friend upon hearing the question, since he routinely replaces radios to his liking anyway, but he could only agree with the rest.

“And I’m going to call out the expensive one, the Mayflower. It IS nice and it is plush, but what does the money get me? It doesn’t drive well.” Ken said in-between bites.

Bruce did the quick math, “So, between the Armor and the Watson? If it is close in your mind, I’d go with the one that will last the longest, and don’t forget that that the Watson has the least economy. So, gas is cheap nowadays but it is nowhere near free.”

"Great point, I’ll phone Jennifer tomorrow and pull the trigger on the Armor Kestrel Brougham Wagon

Bruce, using his hands to talk as always, clapped and raised a glass to Kenneth’s decision. “Great choice, buddy, I’ll drop you off tomorrow so you can driver her home.”

OOC

So there we go, hopefully y’all appreciated the flavor text along the way. I used my ranked points system to objectively arrive at the best car here, and it was also the 2nd best subjectively. Congratulations to @GassTiresandOil for a KILLER entry, truly a work of art.

2nd place goes to @Arn38fr
3rd place goes to @S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T
4th goes to @Happyhungryhippo
5th to @DuceTheTruth100

And in the interest of all things transparent, here’s my Google Sheet JOC2C After Bins - Google Sheets with Objective and Subjective tracking.

8 Likes

Thanks for the win! Honestly, every one of these cars looked great! Also, thank you for giving each car a dedicated writeup. This was a VERY well-run challenge.

Oh, I won’t be able to host next round though.

4 Likes

This is my first top 5 finish in a challenge so im pretty elated!! Thanks for the challenge @Lanson , I had a great time designing and engineering. And to everyone else who participated, yall had some dope ass cars!!

4 Likes

As I have said, keep trying and let yourself take a loss every now and then, and you will get better all the time. Starting to pay off now, right? :blush:

3 Likes

In addition to that, increasing the tire profile (by increasing the tire diameter and/or reducing the wheel diameter) can help, as can using the weight distribution slider to shift the weight forward (at the expense of higher costs and PU/ET). Having stiffer suspension at the front than in the rear has the same effect.

1 Like

Thank you for this 2nd place! I took great pleasure in documenting myself on the cars of that era. I tried to design a vehicle that came as close to it as possible. Thanks Lanson.

I won’t be able to host the next round, the holidays are over and I prefer to devote free time I have left to modding. Maybe @S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T ?

My greatest regret is not being able to compete along with you all. Next time!

It is paying off at times. But I still havent figured out how to get my vehicles out the “nothing special” category numbers wise. Im not sure if my tuning sucks or if its a quality issue.

review the spreadsheet, I think it will help. You can mod your car and compare the changes, and repeat until you optimize. All my competitions are run on a relative rank scale. So if the era penalizes drivability or whatever, then everyone is on the same playing field.

Thank you for hosting. This round was well-run and the reviews for each car were very detailed.

I’ll see if I can come up with and in a few hours I’ll either post the next round or pass it on yet again.

4 Likes

Previous round: Journey of ownership 2 - Rising Star - Part 2D (ROUND OPEN) - #110 by Lanson

JOC2D - Figuring Out

Florida, July 1984.

Kenneth Bower is now 49 years old. A lot has happened in the past 13 years. Kenneth used to be a test pilot but one thing led to another and by 1976, after many years of training, Kenneth had become an astronaut at NASA. Despite being new at the time, he was entrusted with many important missions including some of the first Space Shuttle test flights. Kenneth truly can get much higher (so high) (oh, oh, oh).

By 1984, Kenneth still worked for NASA. He still gets selected for missions into space but his age is starting to affect his otherwise good physical health. He is no longer in his prime. And with that, Kenneth started to doubt himself and his identity. A mid-life crisis, if you will.

The solution to all this? Run away! As fast as he could until he can’t run from it no more. And what exactly will Kenneth run away with? In addition to massive rockets, planes, and space shuttles, well, he doesn’t know yet. Should it fully embrace his all-American identity? Or should he embrace a new continental or oriental style? Is he attracted to women after all? Or should he Go West where the opposite is… acceptable? Besides, as great of a car as the the Cabirou Rosson was, it is already quite old at this point so it needed to be replaced… or at least put into storage while the new car takes over its role.

Priorities
:star::star::star:

• Styling. What kind of person making bank doing the things they love would settle for an ugly car?

• Drivability. Kenneth wants to be in control of his car. Driving aids like power steering or an automatic transmission could help but are obviously not required. Kenneth still likes rowing his own gears though he also likes the convenience of the automatic.

• Sportiness. After driving one of his friend’s sports cars, Kenneth has developed a taste for cars that can turn as well as it can accelerate.

:star::star:

• Performance. Kenneth is used to being strapped onto machines with tens of thousands of horsepower. He wants good power but is now also aware that horsepower numbers aren’t everything.

• Comfort. He wants to go fast, but he doesn’t want to break his back while doing so. That being said, he doesn’t need a car that’s super cushy as the Armor does that job for him.

• Safety. Kenneth probably has more days behind him than ahead, but he doesn’t want to die in a vehicle that is going very fast on January 28, 1986.

• Fuel Economy. Gas may be cheaper nowadays but Kenneth remembered how things were right after he bought the Armor in '71. He knows that sports cars will definitely drink a lot of gas but it shouldn’t be as bad as his two boats.

• Reliability. Your problems will catch up to you if you stop for repairs.

• Environmental Resistance. Kenneth still lives near the coast and could do with rust protection.

:star:

• Practicality. Kenneth might have a big and spacious wagon but his new car should still be able to carry some luggage.

• Purchase/Service Costs. As long as it isn’t overpriced, it’s good.

• Prestige. The badge doesn’t matter as long as it delivers. Kenneth prefers a good old V8 but with the fuel crisis in recent memory and technological advancements, Kenneth now hold six cylinders in high regard as well. Four cylinders? But with a little tomfoolery, maybe.

Rules:

Engine

• Family year ≤1984
  • Variant year 1984
  • Maximum loudness: 50
  • At least one muffler required
  • Catalytic converter required
  • Unleaded fuel only
  • 95 RON/90 AKI fuel ONLY
  • No V16s
  • Techpool: 10 points, limited to 4 per area

Trim

• Model year ≤1984
  • Trim year 1984
  • Max. wheelbase: 2.8m
  • No semi slicks
  • Must have at least 2 seats
  • Must be a 2-door coupe/sedan or a 3-door liftback
  • Techpool: 20 points, limited to 4 per area

Naming Convention

• Model/engine family name: JOC2D-(your forum username)
  • Trim name: name of your car
  • Variant name: name of your engine

Additional Rules

• A post/advertisement of your entry must be posted on this thread.

Realism Notes

• It goes without saying that unrealistic styling and/or engineering will result in a bin. Automobile-Catalog is a helpful website that provides all kinds of information from a car’s tyre diameter down to the type of carburettor an engine uses. From my experience, however, the website does not have much information on certain brands (including Toyota) but a quick search on the search engine of your choice should give you the information you need regardless.

• TRX tyres (tyre sizes that end in “0”) are allowed for this round though I will penalize them slightly if you use them on your entry. Entries that mix TRX and non-TRX tyres on the same car will be binned on sight.

• Since it is literally 1984, sealed beams are no longer a requirement so you can use composite headlights. Use whichever that suits your design best.

• Kenneth is open to many different kinds of cars. Working with people from all over the country and even abroad, Kenneth has had the pleasure to try all sorts of different cars from the traditional big American V8 that he’d been driving all his life to rear-engined sports cars and cars with turbocharged engines. Still, he holds the V8 near and dear to his heart so he will have a slight bias to what’s familiar to him. But then again, maybe something new is just what he needs…

• Engines with four valves per cylinder will be put under more scrutiny as the technology had only begun to trickle down to normal, consumer cars down from race cars and very high-end sports cars. If you are unsure what configuration to use, do some research and/or ask others.

TLDR; you can do whatever you want but make sure you know what you’re doing

Extra Notes

• Interiors are not mandatory but I will review them if you decide to make one

Inspirations

Chevrolet Corvette

Chevrolet Camaro

Ford Mustang

Pontiac Firebird

BMW 6-Series

Porsche 944

Porsche 911

Alpine A310

Jaguar XJ-S

Toyota Supra

Toyota Soarer

Nissan 300ZX

Nissan Leopard

Submissions

• Submissions will open on Sunday, January 8th at 23.59 (UTC+7). The rules will be open to deliberation and subject to change until then.

• Submissions will close on Tuesday, January 24th at 23.59 (UTC+7).

• Countdown timer

Changelog

• Added notes regarding valvetrain

• Added notes regarding Kenneth’s preferences

That is all

In the meantime, enjoy some early 90s J-pop.

Honestly I could’ve taken more time to write this but it is what it is so please report any flaws with the ruleset before the round begins

12 Likes

The safety comment was dark, but I still laugh at it (and feel bad for doing so) :rofl:

3 Likes

As a proud space nerd, I am sooo glad my little comment in the 1st round materialized for Kenneth!

I did cry a little inside at that safety comment… but also laughed and also felt bad as well :rofl:

4 Likes

holy damn that was fast