Journey of Ownership 3C - Bahnstormer 1978 [FINISHED]

First podium in a while. Appreciate the detailed reviews. I’m happy about where Stellina stands because that’s pretty much what I had in mind when designing the car. If I really wanted that drivability and lesser svc costs, I’d go for FWD and a smaller engine. But yeah, this was just a fun competition to finally get an Italian brand going. Cheers broski

3 Likes
  1. And it’d be real nice if you could include a candy-ass bright red Kaffee into the next round’s prologue. In general, if you need any character pointers at all, just DM me I guess
3 Likes

I liked the Kessel, it felt a little bit like the body from Taunus 17M paired with the engineering from Taunus 12M (albeit a V4 is of course impossible in the game).

3 Likes

Ok, so work just hammered me. I won’t have enough time to devote to the next round, so I’ll have to pass it on to @Knugcab . If you need an idea for next round, I had one that was pretty historically focused. Otherwise, can’t wait to see what you come up with!

2 Likes

I feel that I need a rest from hosting after ARM and until LAC, I will probably not have motivation to do a round as good as I would want to, so I’ll pass it to @GetWrekt01 .

4 Likes

Oh boy, this is interesting. I barely have time for myself after work and studies these days… But I think I’ll be able to do it. Give me a few days to get the initial write-up going.

8 Likes

The Kessel already looked like the perfect car for the job, and its a pleasure to see the rest of the car proved to be equally well-made

2 Likes

I just want everyone to know that JOC3B (and while we’re at it, TMCC27 as well) is under construction.

They were being held up by the fact that I was working three 12-hour shifts at the Australian Grand Prix but now that that’s over, and my feet are understandably fucked after standing up and walking for that long, it should be up in a day or two… three max?

It was a fun experience, probably the most memorable one being physically bumping into Charles Leclerc in the male toilet under the Paddock Club, followed by Magnussen pissing on the Urinal and someone taking a picture of him, so he goes “Mate my cock’s not that big”

Edit: I have decided to not release JOC3B till at least the current QFC has finished. The forum is quite saturated with challenges at the time, and piling another challenge on top is just asking to cannibalize participation on either ends.

16 Likes

So GetWrekt01, how’s is this coming along? Seems that it’s been forgotten about.

2 Likes

Not forgotten about, just my incompetence in managing studies and this. I’ll try to get this out within the next 24h.

3 Likes

Journey of Ownership 3-B:
A Brake From Convention

Berlin, Germany
April 20, 1968

Backstory:

13 years have passed since Magda’s desertion from the Eastern bloc. She left everything behind when she came to Berlin, in 1955, in search of a new life. In her path to defect from the communist regime of Eastern Germany, she had to fight her feelings of sadness and nostalgia for her birthplace, relatives, and everything else she had or owned. But at the same time, she could not help but feel a strong sense of pride, the sense of accomplishment a person gets for having taken such a bold step for the sake of freedom.

Back in 1958, Magda had bought her first car. A candy Red Kassel Kaffee. A car she primarily bought for personal commute and to support her profession of photography, gradually started to speak to her. Before buying the Kaffee, she saw cars as just another utility. But driving the Kaffee regularly for her work, to meet her cousins, to go on dates with her boyfriend, she ended up falling in love with the car. The car spoke to her, and eventually she started speaking back.

In 1961, the wall between East and West Germany was built, cutting off any chance of her ever returning home. The feeling of despair and loss was overwhelming, knowing that she could never again see the people and places that she had left behind. But again, she couldn’t really take it as a completely negative thing, as she realized that it was the right decision to leave the place in the end, for the opportunity of a better life in the West.

Growing up in the Eastern Bloc meant she had a simple life of few possessions and fewer luxuries. So, when she finally managed to afford her own car, she couldn’t help but feel a bit of fulfilment it gave her. The newfound mobility made her explore her surroundings, and eventually she started going off on her own to adventures that kept going only farther from home with each trip. Some she took with her boyfriend, some alone. Taking the Kaffee to everywhere she went slowly built interests in her about the car. She started noticing how it handles when the traction changes, how it behaves on a full tank, how the dynamics change with the weather. Soon she started noticing other intricacies and nuances, and she started becoming more practical with her interests, and decided to start learning the more technical aspects of her car by reading the manual or asking her boyfriend… It was the beginning of a new passion for her.

Magda’s Kaffee

Actual Brief:

Fast forward to 1968. Magda is now 32 years old. She’s now married to her boyfriend from back then and has a twin pair of kids. The amateur professional photographer from 10 years ago had decided to take proper journalism classes in order to truly succeed in her field, and that combined with her newfound interest in cars, she eventually became an automotive journalist. And a well-established one at that she was, by now. She currently writes and photographs for the “Motor Revue” magazine, popular throughout the country. Being the sole photographer AND writer of her reviews and articles means she gets quite the handsome pay compared to other journalists in her ranks, quite impressive who started out rather late with this hobby of hers. However, in these 10 years, not once did she ever felt the need to replace her trusty and beloved Kaffee. It’s a car both she and her husband admire, and was it worth the admiration, being as reliable, efficient and practical it was. Not to mention it held up with its good looks for 10 straight years without any issues, to this day Magda still sees their heads at her pristine-condition candy red Kaffee.

However, there is no denying 10 years have passed since she bought the car, and even though the Kaffee has more than enough in its life yet, Magda can’t help but feel that it’s not keeping up with her needs anymore. She now has a family of four, and the two children are growing rapidly. She needs a car that can accommodate for this many people, especially carry the camping equipment for the trips they take occasionally. Also, considering how much of a true automotive enthusiast Magda has become, her car is rather slow, and unsporty for that. She’s one of the prime writers for Germany’s current premiere auto magazine, she SHOULD have a sportier, more prestigious car!

Magda thought hard about what kind of car she wants, and it didn’t take her very long to land on the words “Shooting Brake”. A unique sort of car that combines the practicality of an estate with its longer roofline and hatchback-style tailgate, with the sportiness and feel of a sportscar. The recent trend of automotive enthusiasts who needed the best of both worlds buying shooting brakes only reinforced her thoughts. She could take the kids, bring her any equipment along AND enjoy driving as much as she does in a shooting brake. And besides, wouldn’t it make a perfect car for the writer of Motor Revue as well?

Priorities

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Styling and Prestige: We’re talking about someone who writes for one of the biggest car magazines in Germany. Her car better look the fucking part and have features that make people talk about the car.

Sportiness: Magda’s taste for cars have changed since her first purchase. The Kaffee itself was quite the peppy car for what it was, but she now wants more out of her car in terms of fun and performance.

Practicality: This is a major concern, but it’s also a given considering she’s looking for shooting brakes only. Don’t go out of your way to min-max practicality numbers.

Highway Driving: This isn’t something that isn’t in the game, but use your common sense instead. What stats in the game together can represent how smooth and comfy is when driving on the highway for long periods of time?

Hint: Comfort, Drivability, Powerband, Gearing, Suspension Tuning and so on

:star: :star: :star:

Safety: Magda is barely in her 30s, and she has a family with a husband and two small kids. I guess it’s SAFE to say that she wants decent safety ratings from the car she’s going to buy.

Service Costs and Reliability: Magda is an automotive journalist now. She knows pretty well what makes or breaks a car, how well a car will hold up in the long run, and how badly things might go if something decides to bork.
Of course, I will be lenient about this. Not all parts in a car that go bad quickly are hard and expensive to replace.

Value: Being in the industry, Magda knows the worth of a car that she sees. She’s fine with spending a pretty penny for a car that’s worth the money. Make sure your value proposition is good.

:star: :star:

Fuel Economy: Magda is aware of the fact that she essentially wants a fast estate with two doors. The fuel economy won’t be exactly steller per se. But the original Volvo P1800 ES could reach above 22 mpg depending on how your right foot behaved.

Environmental Resistance: Considering how she takes her current car to everywhere and it has been exposed to all sorts of materials, she would like a fair bit of rust protection on her new car.

Hard Rules

Engine:

• Family Year: 1963-1968
  • Variant Year: 1968
  • No Race Parts
  • Leaded 92/98 RON only
  • No V16s (Or V10s and V12s for that matter)

IMPORTANT: I’m allowing V12s, but with extreme scrutiny. If I see any dumbass, cheap, rudimentarily built high cylinder engine configs, I will literally not hold back to drag you through mud in the reviews.

• At least one muffler required

• Engine Loudness: No more than 45

• Engine Techpool: 26 Points allowed total for engine. No more than 8 per area. No Less than 3 per area.
    YOU ARE ALLOWED TO ZERO OUT TURBO POOL.

Trim

• Must be a Wagon body. 3dr or 5dr allowed, but make sure to cover up the rear doors with fixtures, since a shooting brake should only have 2 doors and a hatch.

• No double wishbones on the rear end, but Semi-trailing Arms are allowed.

• Anything with a 5-spd Manual or a 4-spd Auto will follow the “Bin on Sight” protocol.

• Limited-Slip Diffs are allowed, but tread carefully.

• No Slicks, no offroad tyres. Make sure the tyres end in 5s and not 0s.

• Disc brakes are allowed. Considering how fade-y brakes from these times are, some fade is perfectly fine. Alternatively, I’ll allow a decent amount of brake airflow before I start questioning it.

• Undertrays are allowed, but depends on your car whether I deem it as minmax or not.

• Magda realistically needs only 4 seats, and the unique nature of a shooting brake means you can totally get away with them. But again, this all depends on your car. Make a case for why your car should have 4 seats, and your engineering decisions should reflect it.

• Mixing Luxury interior with Premium entertainment is allowed, but not the other way around.

• Power Steering is not required.

• Standard 60s safety is the bare minimum.

• Trim Techpool: 54 Points allowed total for trim. No more than 8 per area. No Less than 3 per area.
    YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ZERO OUT ANYTHING HERE.

Extra Notes

• I cannot stress this enough, make sure your engineering decisions are reflected in your final car. There is no point of using Aluminum engine internals and then having everything else inside made out of cast iron. There’s also zero sense in putting 4 seats in a car and then having standard interiors.

• Magda doesn’t mind a manual (duh, it’s Europe and it’s 1968).

• I don’t particularly mind some cheeky stats minmax here and there. As long as there’s still some semblance of logic in your decisions, you’re fine. But if I smell obvious and blatant min-maxing, to get the best stats without giving a flying fuck for the brief or realism, you’re binned.

• Interiors are not compulsory at all. I can appreciate it if you threw in a basic interior, and will review the interior if you did a complete one. But IT IS NOT WEIGHED IN THE FINAL SCORING.

Submissions and Naming Conventions:

• Submissions Open on 28th of April at 12:00 am, UTC+8. Rules are open to be deliberated till then.

• Submissions close on 15th of May at 11:59 pm, UTC+8.

• Countdown Timer to deadline

• Engine Family/Model Name: JOC3B - (Your Forum Username)
  • Trim Name: Name of your car
  • Engine Name: Name of your engine

An advertisement is to be mandatorily posted on this thread.

Inspirations

Volvo P1800 ES

Poe Joe 504 Break Riviera

Reliant Scimitar GTE

tumblr_o0ac5pXWod1ti77kbo1_640

(Lost Prototype) Sunbeam Alpine Shooting Brake

Fiat 2300 S Club by Ghia

Jensen GT

Harold Radford DB5 Shooting Brake

Lamborghini 400 GT Flying Star

8 Likes

Hmm, 'fraid you need a bit of proofreading. Or maybe you were looking for exactly that.

• Not sure there are cats in '68, and if there are - you’re asking for leaded fuel.

• Maybe allow Super Leaded? It’s '68 Germany, and cars of back then (not even necessarily luxury ones, just large-family Rekords and shit) used it frequently back then.

• When you say no double wishbones, you mean no rear ones, right? No front ones would be p harsh

• Techpool. 26 overall and “no less than 3 per area” is impossible, as 15 areas * 3 equals 45.

Fuck me, every single one of these are just me copying from the rough ruleset I had in my notes without actually having a second look.

Fixed, they should look like:

• Yes, no cats. That’s a dum on my end.

• I will allow Super Leads after giving it a thought, so 92 and 98 are both allowed.

• No rear double wishbones only, yes. Thanks for clarifying.

• I completely forgot to mention trim techpool.

I’ll fix all of these in the post rn.

Edit: Updated now.

2 Likes

what’s your stance on +2 rear seats? some of the shooting brake versions of the 60s coupes are limited to +2 rear seats, despite theoretically having a long enough wheelbase…

I don’t particularly feel anything about them, aside from the fact that I know +2 seats will NOT hold up against any sort of competition against most other entries considering the techpool I’ve allowed, and the fact that budget is completely left vague.

So really, you COULD do it, but whether it will be effective or not is another thing.

1 Like

IMO, a 5 speed manual feels realistic for a sports car in 1968. Rare? Yes, but not exceptionally so. Alfa was widely using them, for example, without being THAT much of an exotic brand.

4 Likes

I see your point, but I also had a fair few reasons to disallow 5 speed manuals.

• Balance. There’s not really much punishment for using 5 speed manuals, compared to the benefits you can reap from it. This inherently puts people who would use 4 speed manuals, which WAS the norm of that time at a disadvantage.
  • Alfa was very much an exotic brand. The Spider Duetto with the 15 inch rims, 5 speed manual, 155 tyres as standard and a base price of US $4000 in the mid-late 60s. If that’s not exotic, I’m afraid we don’t share the same definitions for the term, or we think of Alfas differently :stuck_out_tongue:

• Other cars that had 5 speed manuals in the same age include the 911, 365 GTB, Miura, 2000GT. None of these cars are in the scope of the brief.

1 Like

Not that exotic considering that you have a lambo among the inspirations… :wink: …but if it is purely for styling inspo, I get it. I still don’t really agree considering that both the P1800 and British cars from the era used a Laycock overdrive, effectively making a 5 speed out of the 4 speed manuals they used. But since I also respect your rights as a host, I will not argue about it, I have told you my opinion and if you has another one, that’s completely fine. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Is there some kind of target price here?

The inspirations run from a Peugeot to a Lamborghini, and everything from an i3 to a V12 is allowed so It seems rather a large price range

1 Like

The inspirations are “mostly” styling inspiration.
Pricing is something that I’ve decided to keep vague, since I want people to research and come up with stuff that somewhat align with realistic shooting brakes of the time, and not reach for whatever the maximum budget is.

The laycock might effectively make the 4 speed a 5 speed, but that’s for overdrive. Automation players generally tend to do overdrive gears by simply making fuckoff long gears and leaving it at that haha.
But rules are still being deliberated, if I see enough support for either 4spd auto and 5spd manual, I’ll allow it. But do note, the limitations are there to balance than to actually limit.

2 Likes