Journey of Ownership 3C - Bahnstormer 1978 [FINISHED]

Keep the deadline, please. I need to sleep and eat sometime…

It’s a-comin’. Rain, shine, blizzard… it’ll get there, and in good time too.

5 Likes

The problem is I’ve seen more people telling me in my inbox for both of the recent challenges I’ve hosted to lengthen the deadlines.
Now TMCC deadline was extended for no reason because the 3 people who asked for it in the first place dipped for their own reasons :stuck_out_tongue:
Should I assume the same for this? You never know what’s the best course of action is for situations like these

2 Likes

I hope you’re not pissed at me for that. I was - as I said - finishing up exam season, and whereas I really thought I could squeeze in the last stretch or two of work needed to finish my car, it just proved not to be the case. One of my exams went poorly and I was stuck being paranoid about failing right before my scheduled graduation.

2 Likes

Nah not pissed at all, that’s why I said “for their own reasons”.
It’s just a game at the end of the day and it’s something all of us do in our free times. And frankly, my own exams are going quite horrendously so I totally get it.

2 Likes

The 1968 Hammardin Gladiator V2 GTSB (In partner with @xsneakyxsimx, all i did was the design)

A fast yet sensible sportscar. With stunning styling and amazing engineering, the Hetvesian built Shooting Brake is the best option around.

More Photos

19 Likes

THY HOLY HAND GRENADE

1968 DURENDAL POMONA

An Aussie-American Musclecar with luxury overtones and a liftgate.

4.4 liter V8 making 280 net horsepower, 4-speed manual transmission, and a geared diff combined with a luxurious interior and completely balanced suspension. 2000 copies have been earmarked for production, but one can be special ordered upon request.

13 Likes

1968 Primus Solair

Based on the all-new Astrona, this new sports wagon should bring some fresh wind to the US market. Of course, it is available in Europe, too, since it´s from an Austrian Company.

PRE PRODUCTION MODEL WITH GOOFY FUEL CAP. WILL BE FIXED ON THE PRODUCTION CAR

11 Likes

Less than 24 hours remaining!

I have received car and ad from:
@Ch_Flash
@Happyhungryhippo
@AndiD
@GassTiresandOil

I have received ad/sneak peaks, but no cars from:
@DrDoomD1scord /@xsneakyxsimx
@moroza

I have received car, but no ad from:
@Riley

The clock ticketh!

4 Likes

What are Magda’s interior color preferences?

1 Like

I made this last weekend and forgot about the deadline :skull:
Swanson 225 PWC

The “Wagon Coupe” may be ordered with either a partition wall or a removable back seat, the former intended for light delivery work and travelling salesmen. The latter, as shown, comes with the same interior as the regular wagon.
As befits a top of the line Premium trim, it’s shiny & chrome, plushy inside and has both a sunroof and a fresh air system to keep the big greenhouse cool.
A 130ps overhead cam boxer 6 drives the rear wheels through a 5 4-speed manual. Being small and lightweight makes it nimble and peppy, and light on the lead poisoning too.
14.000 DM

Summary

Ironically, it’s too short to carry actual “cargo 200” in dignity, unless you plan to cart around Hessian mercenaries

11 Likes

1968 Juno Mantua

Gallery

13 Likes

1968 Panther Deserter SB-308

Is it Italian? Is it American? Who knows? Who cares?

Big underpowered american V8, rear wheel drive, 4 speed manual transmission as smooth as a tractor, styling and chassis made by the Italian Artezza, is it comfortable? Is it easy to drive? Hell no, but it sure is fast, roomy, and a whole lot of fun to drive!

Get yours as shown for 2.099$ (it's actually 18.000$ but i adjusted value for 1968)

More Pictures

9 Likes

psst… 1968, not 1986

1 Like

Am I the only one not seeing the “more pictures”?

1 Like

issue currently being solved

1 Like

Fixed all of it now, thanks for letting me know and sorry for the mess

3 Likes

1968 1/2 Turból Centurion

Turból’s upscale pony car received a minor facelift midway through 1968, taking on a more aggressive appearance. Adopting quad headlights with hideaway doors for the outer pair, the new front end included a more aggressive, larger grille, and refreshed rear styling.

Turból would import this car in small numbers to continental Europe, sans engine. Once in Europe, the cars would be equipped with Turból’s exotic 3.5 Litre OHC V8, a smaller and lighter engine that would be a better ownership proposition for Europeans. Compared to other, similarly sized American vehicles, the more advanced suspension, steering, and better weight balance combined to make the Centurion a fairly competent GT car, and European coachbuilders would occasionally convert them into a shooting brake, to better take advantage of the car’s prodigious footprint with additional luggage space.

16 Likes

Waldersee Lancier 45TR

Waldersee’s Lancier was an attempt to recreate the magic of the pony car in Europe. Basically a shortened Waldersee Ritter midsize (later compact) 2-door sedan with a huge door, it caught the public eye due to being offered with a 3-liter injection engine that propelled it to 60 mph in under 7 seconds - way faster than most rivals, though at a premium.

In 1969, Waldersee released an upscale shooting brake version designated T - Touring - for marketing. While still having tons of power, it was heavier and more likely to be specced with an automatic - so Waldersee went nuts and asked its American owners at Arlington to give them a bigger powerplant for the flagship engine option. The result was the Lancier 45TR, equipped with a hot, 4-barreled 4.5-liter Arlington V8 developing 250 horsepower (210 net) and, if the manual was still optioned, reaching 60 in just over 6 seconds - a true factory hot-rod.

Like all Touring Lanciers, the 45TR was a higher-end car, with a good sound system and a plushy interior - and the two rear seats moved back over the axle to get more leg room. But make no mistake: This is a beast.

7 Likes
A letter to Ms. Magda Schultz

Liebe Frau Schultz,

I hope this letter finds you well. First, let me express my deepest admiration for your masterpiece article last month, “On the merits of Laufkultur.” You write with the clarity that is the unique result of both having had to learn an industry without the benefit of formal education, by your own wits, and having actually learned it. For a popular journal, you went into frankly surprising technical depth on the finer points of engine NVH, and you made a brilliant and forward-thinking insight regarding what you referred to as the concept of a “mechanical soul” and its relevance to society, all with diction as clear as it was engaging and pleasant to read. If only my engineers could write like that!

Allow me introduce myself - I am Dr. Ing. Ursula Panzerstrudelüberprüfungsmeßermeier von Neunschwanzstein, the senior technology officer at Dalluha Coach and Motor Works assigned to its Hetvesian subsidiary, Norðwagen, since the latter’s founding in 1963. I am writing to invite you to a demonstration event for a hitherto exclusively Dalluhan–market vehicle that we are considering selling here.

We kindly request your evaluation and opinion. The event will consist of an afternoon demonstration at Norðwagen’s test facility in Schwitzenkirchen, including a paved and unpaved course, following which you may take the vehicle home with you for a few days.

In ancient Dalluhan mythology, the Sharriallat are a race of beings known for their reclusiveness, independence, and practical competence. Often depicted with a large rucksack full of magical and mundane items to get into or out of seemingly any situation, they were the patron saints of explorers and seafarers - intrepid, self-sufficient, comfortable with venturing into the unknown. Brave, but prepared, not reckless.

The DCMW Sharriallat was from the beginning a shooting brake that found its strongest appeal among young, relatively well-off singles and couples. It became a bit of national caricature: the well-heeled lone wolf type at the helm of a Sharriallat, the back filled variously with their life’s possessions, a weekend’s worth of camping equipment, or just a bunch of booze, on their way from one adventure to the next. Now in its fourth generation, several important changes have been made to the Sharriallat, known in this market as the Norðwagen Fenrir (Mk. 1).

Tiny Dalluha has excellent roads that go nowhere interesting. In neighboring Archana, there are certainly places to go, but no way to get there until recently. Following yet another of their notorious Seven Year Plans, the Archanan road network now extends to such regions as the Sapphire Valley and Great Northern Forest, areas whose scenic beauty is legendary as much for its degree as for the difficulty of seeing it for oneself. Those Dalluhan lone wolves suddenly had somewhere to go, particularly - as many of them were no longer lone, or at least wished not to be - on romantic getaways. In addition to meeting premium esthetic and performance expectations, the vehicles also needed greater 1. Range, 2. Ride comfort, and 3. Reliability. The latter refers to both breakdowns and not getting stuck and stranded; Archana increased the quantity of what it charitably refers to as “roads”, but not their quality, and the areas remain remote, with supplies and services few and far between.

1. Range was addressed by several measures. The crudest was simply to increase fuel capacity - dual fuel tanks for a total of 180 liters. The most sophisticated is a state-of-the-art mechanical fuel injection system on a proven engine design - the 6R4GD5-S36, an all-aluminium DOHC 4-valve inline six - which manages to be 20.9% efficient while delivering 300hp at 6600rpm out of 3.6 liters.

Further efficiency gains were realized through drivetrain engineering - the gearboxes gained an overdrive gear for a total of five, all synchronized, and further improved for lower frictional losses. The results speak for themselves: 9.4 L/100km at 110kph, where the engine is whispering at just under 2000rpm, 13.2 combined economy, 0-100 in 6.3 seconds, top speed 266kph, all with class-appropriate refinement and class-exceeding reliability.

Despite its luxury credentials, rotating mass has been reined in and throttle response given some priority - it is neither a lazy marshmallow nor an uncivilized brute, but the best of both worlds. DCMW, since its founding, has specialized in V12, and paid special attention to acoustic tuning for the sake of aural pleasure. The 6-5, as it’s abbreviated, is half of a twelve but with just as much character; in its own right, it is a musical, soulful piece of machinery. There’s no denying the influence of a certain Bavarian manufacturer known for straight-sixes, especially the current M30 and upcoming M88.

1. Ride comfort was substantially improved by a four-wheel hydropneumatic suspension, which also preserves load capacity, and has been developed thoroughly enough that the reliability penalty is minimal and features failsafes: in the event of total hydraulic failure, the system is designed to resist bottoming-out, and to hold up enough to make it home if even that happens.

Further engineering effort resulted in aluminium control arms - double-wishbone in the front, semi-trailing in the back - for decreased unsprung weight, improving both ride and handling, and the rear suspension features space-saving torsion bars in place of conventional coils. Though optimized for long-range comfort, and at 1470kg too heavy to be a true sports car, the Fenrir’s tuning, low center of gravity, high-quality footwork and hydraulic rack steering make it properly engaging to drive when the whim strikes.

1. Reliability begins with a solid backbone of engine and chassis quality. The latter in this case is a conventional modern monocoque construction, but with extra safety margins normally reserved for light trucks. The major innovation here is the exclusive use of stainless steel for the entire unibody, frame and panels, chosen as much for its psychological value in furthering the “impervious” image the Sharriallat is meant to invoke, as for actual practical invulnerability to corrosion. DCMW has used aluminium panels for ages, but with a stainless monocoque, the galvanic couple formed resulted in corrosion of the aluminium. The moderate weight penalty - some 85kg - was deemed a price worth paying for a chassis that will not rust, ever. We had some initial trouble with body panel tooling, somewhat mitigated by consultation with Durendal Motors.

Last but not least, the second aspect of reliability - reliably getting where one intends - was much enhanced by a four wheel drivetrain. While we have a full-time pavement-friendly version in development, it is not yet ready. Meanwhile, the Fenrir’s system has been refined to the standards of a luxury car, yet is truck-based and accordingly durable and capable. Its primary purpose is to improve traction on bad roads, not to go rock-crawling, so reduction gearing was omitted to save weight and complexity. The transfer case features a simple front driveline disconnect, whose control also locks and unlocks the front hubs. There is no center differential, so the system should not be used on pavement unless very slippery. A further position on the control lever locks the otherwise open rear and front differentials. When sold, the car comes with two sets of wheels - magnesium with medium-compound tires installed, and a second set of steel wheels with all-terrain tires for seasonal or special use.

In ordinary use, it drives just like a normal RWD car. When the weather gods wreak their wrath, however, the Fenrir will hold its course while its lesser contemporaries are left spinning their wheels, or worse.

Integral to its bad-road ability is the aforementioned hydropneumatic system. With a simple turn of a knob to the right of the steering column, the normally low-slung Fenrir can gain up to 20cm of additional ground clearance, assisted by unusually long and reinforced control arms, and a sturdy underbody skid plate.

The upfront cost for this multitude of uncompromising capability is not for the faint of wallet - just under 40000DM. However, far from being a Veblen good, what this price pays for is not just the immediate reward of being able to go anywhere, at any time of year, in comfort, speed, and style, and conquer all obstacles, come what may. Rather, between its mechanical reliability, modern styling, reasonable running costs, and environmental resistance, the Fenrir was engineered to provide long-term value for the more forward-thinking of our species. A metallic candy apple red example awaits you to see for yourself.

MfG
-Ursula

Photos

9 Likes
15 Likes