Journey of Ownership 3C - Bahnstormer 1978 [FINISHED]

In my lore, the top trim of the midsize Astrona has a five-gear as well (new 1968 model). The more basic 1.8 and 2.0 do not. Since the client would definitely consider the best engine and can afford it, five-speeds were a boon for enthusiasts like her. Four-speed autos on the other hand… the earliest I can remember was in a mid-70s Mercedes-Benz.

I am tempted to open the gates of 5-spd manuals, but there has to be a condition to balance it for non-5spd, lower power and priced entries.

Proposal

So, if your car looks anything like this, and has the horsepower to back it up, you are allowed to submit a 5spd manual version at your own discretion.

If your entry looks like this, and has a 4-banger with humble horsepower figures, you’ll get a stern look from me for submitting a 5spd manual version.

Does this sound good for a compromise?

Also, just a general note to everyone, not every sportscar has to have humongous horsepower figures and massive engines with 6+ cylinders. You can always go for lightness or advanced tech if your lore allows it. Try exhausting all possibilities before you decide to go for something like the Flying Star or DB5.

3 Likes

What is your stance on Advanced trim settings? The body I’m working with I feel really needs some advanced trim fiddling to sit right; nothing regarding the tire/wheel size but adjustments to offset, wheelbase offset, body z height, and ride height.

I personally have no qualms with people fucking around with advanced trim settings.
Keep it reasonable and I won’t even look at how far you’ve tweaked it.

3 Likes

1968 Hamfa Hengst 3200 GT

Presenting a low-slung, V6 powered and exclusive Grand Tourer with added practicality.

This car is one of only 800 shooting brakes built as a special and exclusive model of the Hamfa 3200 GT fastback.

Gallery

Stats

14 Likes

I have engineered a shooting brake… and I always fail at visual design so I thought I could ask if anyone would like to collaborate on this challenge?

3 Likes

I would love to Collab

I’m in a similar place - better engineering than design. Any collaboration interests?

V10? In 1968? The only auto-motive V10 mass-produced by that time was the Leopard tank engine. Buses got a few in the 70’s, and the first V10 car was apparently the Dodge Viper, in the early 90’s.

Unless one were building Jay Leno’s tank car’s ancestor, in 1968 it’d’ve been more plausible to use a then-30-year-old Cadillac V16 than a V10.

2 Likes

If you have a car engineered I could collab with the design.

What’s this pretty thing cost?

Lots of highway driving, check. What about light off/bad-road? Does Magda ever visit more remote wilderness areas, or go skiing?

Would RX-8 style rear doors be too much of an anachronism, or too far removed from the definition of a shooting brake?

2 Likes

Agreed - and perhaps more importantly, the variant year/techpool cap combination doesn’t allow for V10s in the first place. In fact, with the 1985 unlock year of V10s, you couldn’t make one even if you had +15 family techpool.

1 Like

Yeah the V10 slipped out as more of an oversight due to semi-hastily drawn out rulesets. I’ll just keep it as it is since… submitting a V10 isn’t an issue when you literally cannot legally submit one in the first place.

This is fine. I’m all for outlandish (within reason) design ideas. Suicide doors, asymmetry, bubble shapes or early wedges… doesn’t really matter as long as you’re off the rails by a long margin. Go crazy.

I will give you some minor extra points for it, but it’s not a major concern to have decent offroadability.

1 Like

I was wondering something. Am i allowed to use a turbo, and not get instabinned? If i techpool spam only the turbo i can use one on my BetterDeals.

1 Like

I’m not the host, but given that the host is permitting clamshell doors, I’d be guessing it’s allowed. And I also personally think it should be, given that we’re dealing in mid-to-high end sports cars here. Spam tech, sacrifice some cost, get big prestige numbers.

4 Likes

1968 Mayster Triumf 2.0 Shooting Brake

Once Archanan boutique sportscar manufacturer Mayster had established themselves with their Triumf 1.6 coupe and 2.0 roadster in the later 60s, they continued tinkering with further variants, including a longer wheelbase 2+2 seater basis, and a shooting brake variant on the long-wheelbase version.

Since the LWB versions were heavier than the standard 2 seater coupe, they were only available with the 2.0 litre flat-4, making 100 hp for 1968.

OOC: If you really want some deep dive on related lore, here you go: CSR149: Take Me Away (Complete) - #82 by AndiD. (Never thought that the throwaway shooting brake version I created for the short CSR lore video scene on a whim would get some actual challenge use…)

8 Likes

By all means, go for it

2 Likes

47 hours till the deadline, judging by the amount of entries in my inbox, and the amount of adverts I’ve seen, I’m assuming this challenge has simply fallen behind on people’s to-do list due to inactivity (mostly I’m to blame as the host with absolutely fuck all time allocation).

I could either:

1/ Keep the deadline as it is.
2/ Increase the deadline by another 3, 5 or 7 days depending on the general consensus.

Let me know.

3 Likes

I guess it’s more that Shooting Brakes are not a favourite to most people

2 Likes

Mine is almost done. Just need badging and the interior.

1 Like