[LHC] - Letara History Challenge - Rd 5 [Results being posted]

Letara Raceway, 1964

The words were like a thunder:
“FREEEEEHSEEEEEEEEE!”
Mr. Friedrich Huppenbauer, the Hetvesian president stood there with a red face.
“YOU SPENT… WHAT??? ON YOUR LITTLE RACING ADVENTURE? You did not answer me - twice! So I am here now. And I am angry!”
A man in his 40s, wearing a PRIMUS racing suit, stood up from his chair.
“Propably a lot, and it was well worth it.”
“Signore Banaschi… what a pleasure to see you here, but…”
“Yes, Friedrich, the reason why we spent three times the budget is that we actually do enter R1 as well… with a car that is fast enough to awake the interest of the legendary Bruno Banaschi.”

Friedrich Huppenbauer almost lost his monocle when he heard that it was no bluff by Ludger Frehse.
“I thought you drive for Swanson, Signore Banaschi. How…”
“Yes, and Swanson is a good and valued brand. But when I got a call from Mr. Frehse, that he offers me a competetive car for R1, my descision was made. This car is not beautiful, however.”
A little annoyed, Frehse took over: “We had so little time to do this… we spent like 90 percent on engineering and 10 on the design, and for that, it’s not bad!”

“Well, Ludger, you surprise me this time. How dare you to spend so many money, surely with a good cause, but without asking me? I thought I am like a father to you!”
“Yes, like a strict father with a huge WWII trauma. I am 33 now, Friedrich, it’s time to go my own way. If I fail, I resign, if I win, you WILL take me serious, finally. Letara is MY chance and MY project and I will take it no matter what. Bruno, give Mr. Huppenbauer a demonstration, please!”

7 Likes

The Aero Free

WE HAVE REACHED

P E A K

S M A L L N E S S

About Aero in 1964
By the start of the 60's, Aero found the demand for their microcars had all but dried up in most countries. While the kei cars remained popular in Japan- largely because of their support in tax law -most other countries simply no longer cared for the microcar, even those that were hard hit. So Aero found itself gradually pulling out of most international markets.

But they didn’t pull out of Letara, even though that country had consistently been among the least receptive to their little lineup. Why? Because they had a factory there! In spite poor sales in the country, the economic benefits of the factory still made it feasible to make cars there, even if most would end up shipped right back to Japan. And since some cars were being made in Letara anyway, it cost Aero relatively little to just leave a few here for domestic sale. Plus, their new entry-level cyclecar now had some pretty strong advantages in cost and reliability, which they hoped may finally win over some of the country’s buyers.

Spending and lobbying, meanwhile, had gone well this round. Aero had been interested in Letara’s Aluminum industry, as they’d been hoping to bring down the cost of the metal by expanding its infrastructure; Their efforts had made long term progress in this regard, though at present the metal still wasn’t cheap enough for widespread use in their budget cars.

Aero was also quite happy with the improvement in the safety law. The new law did still use the illogical crash-safety system that Aero disapproved of, but at least the required figures were more reasonable, and the system placed increased emphasis on actual safety features.

But beyond this, Aero was more than happy with the rest of how lobbying turned out. They celebrated that leaded fuels were finally banned and radial tires finally allowed, that they had successfully prevented the double-headlight mandate, and the government had chosen the more compact US/Japan pate size (which Aero was already used to using). Their only other real complaint with the new laws was that the “speed limiter” tax break did not extend to vehicles that were too slow to need a limiter (or in Aero’s case, too slow to be able to equip one at all), but truth is the tax was too small to be missed anyway.

There was also the matter of Aero no longer being able to participate in Letara’s racing. Of the two classes that had been just instituted, one required a time below 5:00, and the other required 2 rows of seats- neither of which Aero could accomplish with a Microcar. Though racing was not a big part of Aero’s business, it was still a huge disappointment to the company.

About the Free

Aero’s philosophy, when deigning the Free, was that mobility is something that should be freely accessible to everyone. To that end, the Free takes the design goals of the Zipp- being cute, reliable, and cheap -and improves upon them to the extreme.

Let’s run some numbers: The entry level Free costs only $7,640 upfront (taxes included), and less than $250 in service costs, while using 2.9 l/km of fuel (Over 80mpg)! Named the “3L” after the latter figure, this car is one of the cheapest production vehicles not just of today, but of Letara’s (and the world’s) entire automotive history! Savings which are further extended by the cyclecar’s stellar reliability and quality rustproofing.

But the commitment to accessibility goes beyond just being cheap. Aero designed the Free with the intention that it could double as both a city car and a mobility scooter; that it could allow a handicapped person to drive to and into a building or pedestrian area, without having to switch to unwieldy mobility aids like wheelchairs or canes. To that end, the higher-level “Access” trim offered an automatic transmission, making the car easier to operate (at low speeds especially), as well as a lighter steering setup and improved interior cushioning.

In 1971, the Free received a major facelift. Most notable was the new design; in contrast to the more function-over-form designs of yesteryear, Aero’s new design philosophy further emphasizes the creation of “cute and huggable” designs with more streamlined and visually-pleasing shapes.

Its mechanical changes should not be discounted either, though. The 1971 facelift also introduces one of the first catalytic converters to Aero’s 360cc engine, as well as the ability to run ethanol fuel. Designed to better accommodate indoor use, these combined changes drastically cut down the already-clean Free’s emissions, setting a new standard for what we consider “environmentally friendly.” The cyclecar was also made even quieter, and offered with an optional radio for the first time.

23 Likes

Now that’s cute! :smiley:

3 Likes

the facelifted model is one happy lil lad

2 Likes

THE WOLFE DYNASTY

History of Wolfe Motors, The Long Awaited Chapter II

Lore alert! Beware.

December 2022 - The great white north

Mother - “Dad!! What did you do again??”

Grandad - “What what!? Nothing dear, I…”

Mother - “He’s having nightmares about wolves again!! You gotta have to stop telling and retelling those old stories to him.”

Grandad - “But it’s his legacy!! The Wolfe will never die! You shall not pass! Harry! You know nothing dear.”

Mother, looking at her husband - “I swear sometimes I forget he’s not all himself”

Husband - “It’s ok honey, I know how he can get on your nerve. Maybe a story time could calm him down, I could entertain him while you work?”

Mother - “God I love you so much, thanks love. I’m gonna go work that bath now.”

Husband - taking Grandpa to the sofa, “So, I heard that Wolfe had some rocky years back in the 50s…”

Grandad - “Oh son you have no idea, where do I start?”

(narrator) “I am sorry, here we go again…”

(20 minutes later)

Grandad - “The fact that Wolfe did well with huge luxurious vehicles in Letara in the late 40 and early 50s was a big surprise for everyone.”

FLASHBACK

(narrator) The year was 1953. Lewis Wolfe was looking over the sales report for Letara, a framed picture of the Wolfe 200/200 at his side.

The report was very surprising. For the market size, the top end Wolfe sure did sell well! The Deluxe Eight was a prized possession and the styling seemed to have sealed the deal for the wealthy elite of Letara. It was outrageous, not as much as the Montezuma, but enough to actually sell instead of only selling posters like the Wraith.

The pickup also did somewhat well, but his analysts noted that the market was very weak and sold because nothing else good was there - it was pricy and unpractical and not a dedicated utility vehicle. Rumors were that the market would be flooded with dedicated trucks, so the experiment had to end.

The big heartbreak was racing… after making a big show, Wolfe came up empty because the cars did not met regulation. They found out on site. For some reason, they never made it work for years, always forgetting the same thing. Safe to say that the team responsible was sacked!

The fastback did pretty well in the premium market as well, it offered speed and comfort at a good price, this is a market to double down on!!!

FASTFORWARD TO 1958

Lewis Wolfe cursing dramatically at his office window and throwing Letaran reports in the bin - “Damn you economy!!!”

BACK TO 1953

They also did pretty well on the govt contract, but even their full team of lawyers were not able to wiggle out of some lower scores in some areas, but Wolfe was close on the Wagon.

Lewis Wolfe - “Well Noel, this is good news. I want you to personally oversee the Letaran market, I think we can expand significantly in there.”

Noel Wolfe - “Sure dad, I know we have a concept car being designed right now that would be perfect to launch in Letara - the rich and famous are always looking for that unique car.”

Lewis Wolfe - “You are talking about the ChooChooBaca something right? Yeah, the idea could be feasible, if I look at this, this could be a big gamble but could reap huge benefits. Let’s go!”

END OF FLASHBACK

Grandad - “Now you see, Noel was Lewis Son, back in 1935 they…”

(narrator) Sorry we are gonna skip this as we already heard it before, and so did the husband, but he was a gentleman and it did not bother him at all…

Husband, muttering to himself - “Go to my happy place, happy place…”

*(skipping 35 minutes)

Grandad - “So that is why you always leave a note! Now, Noel was really skilled, and they were working on some innovative concept car, the Chupacabra…”

FLASHBACK TO 1959

Everyone back at the Wolfe HQ was nervous, but Noel was calm and was overseas in Letara for the launch of the Chupacabra. It was the first market they would be launching in.

Surprise! It did very very well. They secretly wanted to upstage the Wraith Montezuma, but also sell the car, and they did achieve both! It ended up being the most prestigious car of the era.

Despite the massive recession, the sales figure were there. It was a success!

The Cerberus convertible also did very very well, before the economy fully collapsed. It was a good overall premium offering, the economy afterward raised big alarms at Wolfe - the premium market was hurting, the middle class was inexistent for years.

While the RFP division earlier did ok on their Letaran bid, the next big event was the grand opening of the Lerance Raceway!!

Financed in part by Wolfe, with coordination wit Vizzuri and other companies, it was the realization of a dream for Wolfe. Yes they did run in Nascar and such, but the long fast track and huge straight was the perfect testing ground!

To get back in the game after the 200/200 failure, the Wolfe Racing 460 was fast, very fast, it clocked the second fastest lap for many years, but it never did succeed. Plagued with a difficult to drive car, always oversteering in the corners, you needed to have a perfect lap everytime, which was impossible. The fact the car also accumulated a few DNF did not help - reliability was much more important than expected.

Still, two 3rd place podium finish was nothing to sneeze at, but after major racing investment, it was still a disappointment for Wolfe.

And the sporting division was not going well, with the Cerberus V8 totally flopping on the market.

If Wolfe wanted to be associated with motorsport and performance, it would need to do more.

A lot more.

END OF FLASHBACK

Grandad - “So now Noel and Lewis, fired many division. They hire some renowned European designer, and completely turned around and doubled-down on R&D and motorsport. It was the Great Shakeup as it was known afterward. They left the premium market due to the economy, focus only on luxury and racing. They went classy instead of unique. No one really knew if that would work, or not…”

Husband, waiting a long time for the old Wolfe to continue - “And what happened then?”

Grandad snored. He fell asleep after his 3 hours story. The husband placed a blanket gently and turned off the lights.

Grandad - “G’night”.

(narrator) ZZZzzzzzzz

THE END

Letara 1964 - Wolfe Racing Razor GT Prototype

After a somewhat disappointing few seasons at the Lerance Raceway, it was time for Wolfe to shake things up!

Lucky for Wolfe, they were able to get helped from famed designer Nuccista Bertarina, who left his association with Vizzuri in the early 60s. With him, and the help of a new team of aero engineers, Wolfe came up with the Razor GT Prototype - a blaring fast car, reach 300km/h. It is rumored to lap the Lerance Raceway around 4:45, but no one really believes that a car with only a 3.8L and under 360hp could every achieve that.

The fact is fast and isn’t a brick is not the only first for Wolfe - this is the first rear-engined vehicle Wolfe has done. Hopefully the very slick prototype is not only for show, and will actually be competitive. Big daddy Lewis Wolfe is hoping it will bring at least a first place finish this time.

Letara 1965 - Wolfe E320 2+2 Roadster

With the impressive success of the Cerberus convertible on the Letaran market, it was only logical that Wolfe would come back with another offering.

With the help of M. Bertarina, the look for this generation of Wolfe cars is a bit more conventional, but much classier, with a hint of european flair, thanks to the famed designer.

But the design is not the only major changes for Wolfe. While the new E-platform is still built on a ladder frame due to Wolfe upbringing in coachwork, they hired so many engineers that they redid every major subsystems.

Gone are the rear live axles, replaced with independent rear suspension. Gone is the long bodywork, it has now moved to a slightly smaller, more compact wheelbase. Goodbye old bias-ply tries, say hello to
the brand new radial revolution. Oh, and some models have power steering now, and improved suspension components. It is still all north american steel baby!

The luxury-premium model, the E3 series, is offered in a 2+2 Roadster with a tame engine and an automatic top. Yes, while Wolfe is out of the premium market in Letara, it plans to take on fully and squarely the luxury market. No cheap cars here, no siree!

Oh, we did not talk about the engine yet, right? Ohh, this is gonna be good. It is also brand new. One thing Wolfe learned with their past racing experience is that overhead cam and that new fangled mechanical injection are pretty damn cool and can allow smaller engine to output similar numbers. What? Who knew there was a replacement to displacement!? So what did Wolfe do? Build a 280ci all aluminum OHC engine with mechanical fuel injection. This version here outputs a mere 200hp, but it does it in style!

A 3-speed automatic transmission completes the package, as do all around solid disks. How, and we have 2 jump seats in the back for your dog!

Wolfe went from being late to the party to being at the forefront of R&D, thanks to its heavy investment in its racing division!

Letara 1968 - Wolfe E420 GT

Well well well. The old performance version the Cerberus was not well received in Letara, or anywhere for that matter. Costly and really uncomfortable, it could barely turn but at least had a big engine.

Now Wolfe is back with another 2-seater sedan coupe and is hoping to get a slice of the performance market.

Very similar to the E3-series, the E4-series offers the same basic packages but with much more gusto with a 307 all alu OHC engine but tune for 350hp! It is has powerful as the Razor GT Prototype in a lightweight package.

The styling is very striking this time, setting the E420 GT appart with rear window louvers, hood scoop, dark aluminum/plastic finishes instead of chrome, and alloy rims. The '68 models in general also have been facelifted with dual squarish front lights now.

It does have a manual instead of an automatic, and a newfangled clutched LSD with improved power steering. While not a full on sport car, it can turn this time. We promise.

Letara 1970 - Wolfe E540 V12

Christmas has come! It was no secret that the Chupacabra would be replaced with a new high end offering. While the name is gone, the flagship is back!

Now the top trim level, the E5 series is full on luxury. The interior is fully hand made by blind Tibetan monks, it has top line 8-track player, the latest in safety, and… a brand new self-leveling hydropneumatic suspension!

But it does not stops there - Wolfe branded mag rims are installed at the factory, the grill is more imposing, the Wolfe emblem on the hood is back, is now has headlight wipers, a sunroof, and, oh yeah, a big 396ci V12!! Still a pushrod as it is quite big, but smooth as butter (if you like that sort of thing).

While not as funky or a concept as the Chupacabra, the E540 is just the pinnacle of prestige and luxury for Wolfe. Oh yeah, it comes in tons of unique metallic colors like Anthracite, Yellow Brass, Arctic Silver and Golden Brown.

Letara 1970 - Wolfe L440 Govt Special

Hearing that Letara was looking for limos or luxurious sedans was the only thing Wolfe wanted to know - it was right up their alley.

Due to the heavy investment in all its new tech, Wolfe simply took the E540 flagship, stretched the wheelbase to 3.0m and downtuned/downscaled the model to make it affordable, but still keep all the luxury it needs for diplomates, delegates and agents.

With a smaller 242ci V12, this beast is ready to drive the most important VIPs in style!

Wolfe - be crowned a king.

13 Likes

Mara goes Letara, Ep. 3-8: The final touches

Previous post

2nd September 1964, Lerance Raceway, Letara

A few weeks before the start of the first race in the new R1 / R2 classes, the Mara Irena R2 Touring Car had arrived on Letaran shores.

Rodyn Gumprov - who more or less officially had taken on the role as Irena racecar project co-leader together with his comrade Yenna - had also arranged to meet with the Letaran privateer racing driver John Summer. John had - for what ever reason - raced a reworked Mara Tovarysh / Companion prototype (originally Henri Nordhov’s cannonball racecar) in the years prior and even had scored two class victories and a podium.

After some negotiations in the past months, John had agreed to have his team of amateur enthusiasts run the factory supplied Irena in the next era of the Letaran racing series. The Mara factory and local assembly plant would provide some limited logistical support as well. Today was the first time John had the chance to sit in the finished car and take it for a proper spin as part of an open testing day on the reopened Lerance raceway after the increase in corner banking.

The Mara Irena R2 Touring Car on the test day under the on the Letaran raceway bridge

Mara race car testing, part 3: The final touches

While John was getting familiar with the now more than 1.5 times as powerful racecar, Rodyn reminisced about the odd twists and turns the last months had taken since the fateful encounter on their own Archanan proving grounds.

His flash of insight had proven fruitful indeed - he had spent some time with aircraft engineers from Archanan plane manufacturer Aljoscha Aeroplanes to try and reduce the quite substantial drag of the Irena race car. Among other things, he had several iterations of makeshift undertrays manufactured, made sure to tighten the panel gaps on the car body (or taping them shut), removed the metal trim around the windows, worked with Yenna to reduce the engine cooling to the minimum needed and also made minor body shell adjustments that had a surprising impact on drag.

In return, Aljoscha Aeroplanes had requested to add their logo to the car, in the hope of getting name recognition in Letara and potentially selling one of their passenger aircraft models there in the future. The other company name on the car was that of their Fruinian tyre supplier, Tyrelli, who was also active on the Letaran market with their revolutionary Cinquerato line of radial tyres.

After the first few laps, John came back to the pits and exited the car, quite exhilarated. “Massive power”, he stated and sent an appreciative nod to Yenna who had already half-disappeared into the engine bay, checking on various engine parts after the first laps in anger on a proper race track.

“Before I go out again, we need to lengthen the gear ratios. Substantially”, John added.

Rodyn looks at him, surprised. He did not have a chance to re-test the car for top speed after installing the latest iteration of the makeshift undertray cladding manufactured according to the Aljoscha engineers’ specifications, but apparently it had worked wonders. To be on the safe side, Rodyn had brought a number of different gears for the Irena’s differential with him.

He nodded. “Alright. Yenna?”

She disentangled herself from the quite full engine bay and helped push the Irena touring car to into the work area of the pits, together with Rodyn and some of John’s mechanics. Rodyn talked the latter through exchanging the final drive gear in the Irena’s differential. Yenna meanwhile dove into the engine bay again.

After a while, John went out again. To achieve the final top speed of an estimated 280 kph they needed to put in another differential gear - the biggest final drive gear Rodyn had brought. The rest of the day they spent fine-tuning the Irena’s handling and in his last lap, John finally managed to break the 5:19 laptime barrier. Afterwards, they felt ready to subject the car to official scrutineering for the R2 class.

The Mara Irena R2 Touring Car in front of the technical inspection booth

As the race official looked at the car, his glance switched back and forth between a sheet of paper in his hands and the car.

“It looks like there was a mix-up of registration numbers. We apparently assigned #42 twice, and the first one is already registered. Which number do you want instead?”

Rodyn and John exchange a baffled glance. “What’s the easiest to change the #42 into with a marker pen? Four… Seven?”

(OOC: Just noticed the 42 on hippo’s racecar, guess I rather have some impro fun with it than reshooting the photos…)

11 Likes

Mocabey: King of the Hill

(I only have the #42 because I had it last time)
8 Likes
1964 MARTINET VESPAE R2

Martinet takes to the track!

Martinet would like to announce our participation in the R2 class at Lerance Raceway.
Introducing the 1964 Vespae R2 with a 4.2l V6 engine producing 249 hp.

Vespae is latin for wasp, hence the yellow and black styling.

Let me know if number 9 is taken.

1970 MARTINET CORREUR

The latest and greatest model of the car Martinet is most known for, the Correur.

The Correur is known for being one of the most comfortable cars ever made, that is why we proudly present the most luxurious version as a representation vehicle to the Letaran Goverment.

Gallery

13 Likes

Nerruci Motors Corporation
Forza Nerruci

We at Nerruci Motors Corp. would like to intoduce to you our line-up of cars that we will be exporting to Letara. Our newest car:

Nerruci 220 Spyder

Nerruci 220 GT

Nerruci 220 GTR

1964 Nerruci 220 Spyder

1964 - Nerruci 220 Spyder

Powered by a 4-Litre V8 producing over 200 bhp, 5-speed Manual, Rear-wheel drive. This car prioritize the performance over anything else. The 220 Spyder can surely satisfy your need for speed.

The Nerruci 220 Spyder comes in 4 different colours.

Rosso Corsa

Spamton Yellow

Chinese Silver

Midnight Blue

1964 Nerruci 220 GT

1964 - Nerruci 220 GT

Powered by a 4-Liter V8 producing 250 bhp, 5-speed manual, Rear-Wheel drive. A Grand Tourer is a car that has balance between performance, luxury and comfort. Nerruci Motors is able to produce a car that is a car suitable for the name GT. The 220 GT is more powerful than the Spyder. The 220 GT also have a more luxurious take to interior design than the 220 Spyder. Overall, the 220 GT really gives you a real Grand Tourer feel with a splendid performance, great luxury and good comfort.

The Nerruci 220 GT comes in 4 colours.

Torino Corsa

Racing Blue

Midnight Black

Sunshine Yellow

1964 Nerruci 220 GTR

Powered by a powerful 4-Liter V12 producing 300 bhp, 5-speed manual, Rear-Wheel Drive. The Nerruci 220 GTR is Nerruci’s most powerful, most expensive, most luxurious and most importantly, the most exclusive car that Nerruci Motors could offer. The Nerruci 220 GTR is like the 220 GT, but more luxurious, and more powerful. With the name GTR meaning Grand Tourer Racing hence the improvement in performance, but not only the engine was improved, the interior has also been improved as well as the handling. Overall, the 220 GTR does what the 220 GT does, but better.

The 220 GTR only comes in one colour, the Midnight Blue:

8 Likes

The tale of Vizzuri 1964-1974.

Following on from 1963, the partially successful Vizzuri campaigns to Letara's growth and development:
  • Lobby for 12hr/Endurance racing at Lerance Raceway as main event

• Classification:

• Super Competition (SC)

•   	 Upwards of 4.0L engines - Runs on Lerance raceway full course

•   	 Two-seater mandated

•   	 Not required to be road-legal

•   	 Ethanol Blend E85 (108 RON) racing fuel mixture

•   	 Minimum safety of 30

•   	 Minimum comfort of 5

•   	 Enclosed bodywork (Does not require a roof)

•   	 Natural or turbocharged allowed

•   	 Must be fitted with a windshield, two doors, headlights, taillights, front and rear indicators, roll bar (If interior, or exposed interior)

•   	 A maximum of two aero fixtures allowed

•   	 Slick radial tyres only

• Touring Cars (TC)

•   	 4.0L maximum displacement - Runs on Lerance raceway short course

•   	 Homologated model based on a road-going car

•   	 Two-seater mandated, must also support 2 rows of seats

•   	 Ethanol Blend E70 (106 RON) racing fuel mixture

•   	 Minimum safety of 30

•   	 Minimum comfort of 5

•   	 Enclosed cabin

•   	 Natural or turbocharged allowed

•   	 Must be fitted with at least two headlights, two taillights, front and rear indicators, roll bar (If interior)

•   	 A maximum of two aero fixtures allowed

•   	 Sports radial tyres only

• Lobby against luxury tax

• Lobby for taxation of uncomfortable and undrivable cars (add a drivability and comfort minimum target, all else is taxed)

• Lobby to introduce radials to civilian cars

• Lobby for additional spending towards Lerance Raceway, as well as adjustments such as making Lerance Raceway a closed circuit retaining the old motorway segment and making new motorway around,

• extra stands for the spectators, on-circuit camp sites, feris wheel.

• Lobby to standardise license plate (Black with embossed silver font)

Vizzuri decided to continue with their Letaran car assembly plant based on the infield of Lerance Raceway. They still have thoughts of levelling up to a full car factory in the future.

The new 1964 onward lineup for Vizzuri took a more reserved yet very intimidating approach.

In 1970 the Laonda’s second generation was released with a very sovereign chrome-embracing style:

Vizzuri Laonda Special GT '70

Shown in Metallico Blu Scuro

Introduced in 1970, replacing the first generation Laonda: The new model lineup dropped the Vantaggio in favour of a new Cabriolet model, as for the Special it had a new “GT” trim, and the Prestazione retained too.

The brand new Laonda Special GT improved all over from the late 50’s version, it was Vizzuri’s first road-going car to have the 4.7L V8 with 4 valve per cylinder, as such the engine had in it’s codename: “Quattrovalvole.”

Returning curves and hard strong shapes for the Laonda were apparent, but it dropped the fins after the '58-60 Laonda model. The Laonda GT kept options for a 3-gear automatic or a manual 4-gear, as well as having luxury interior standard, the Laonda featured a top of the line luxury 8-Track audio system. Though this wasn’t all, it had hydropneumatic suspension now, delivering a very smooth comfortable drive.

The exterior features many luxury accessories: Daytime running lights, alloy wheels, body-integrated exhausts, lighting for the licence plate front and rear with newly created Letaran flag plates.

Sportiness wasn’t lost as it kept the tried and true mechanical rack & pinion steering alongside wide tyres and an aerodynamic semi-clad undertray. The 4.7L Quattrovalvole V8 with new fuel injection system to better utilise the ethanol blend, ignited more environmentally friendly though tubular sports exhaust system provided 295hp to the rear wheels, making it able to hit a smashing 7s to 60mph and top speed over 150mph.

Vizzuri Laonda Cabriolet Special '70

Shown in El Dorado Oro with Beige soft top

When the Laonda Cabriolet Special came to Letara in 1970 it was the first time Vizzuri had sent over a cabriolet for the market, they were hopeful it would become well received although the taxes meant buyers were to pay almost 20,000 more for the car.

It came with the same equipment as the Laonda Special GT but came as a manual soft top car with hydraulic rack & pinion due to the excessive weight from being a convertible with the upmost attention to safety.

It was still sportly, able to get to 60mph in 8.2s, and hit just a few mph slower than the fixed top Special GT.

Vizzuri Laonda Prestazione '70

Shown in Metallico Luce Dell'oceano Onda d'urto complemented by black vinyl roof and Nero bonnet/front top

The final trim offered to the Letaran public was the Laonda Prestazione: 353 rampaging horses to a manual 5-gear RWD clutched LSD able to get to 60 in 5s and go on past 161mph.

The pillarless fastback made an impactful impression with a selection of bright colour choice contrasted by the black side text and front/bonnet to reduce glare whilst tearing up the asphalt.

All that and the extra brake ventilation on the sides, huge bonnet scoops along with the flashy radial tyre text made the new Prestazione stand out about as much as the '58 model did back in the day.

Vizzuri Laonda Special Tipo 555 '70

Shown in Nero

The Letaran government required a completely different mode of transportation this time, so Vizzuri National cars weren’t about the country this time. Instead the Laonda’s long wheelbase version “Special Tipo 555” was offered.

Named the Tipo 555 from the 5.55m length, this colossal land yacht was quite a hefty one, weighing in at 1.75 tons of which much of the weight was high-strength steel and the 3.5L V6 engine cut up from the common Vizzuri 4.7L V8 to reduce cost and retain higher performance.

The Laonda Special Tipo 555 featured a luxury 5-seat layout for better practicality, though didn’t slouch on the creature comforts: the boomerang antenna seen on the boot lid is for the television fitted in the back for passengers, as well as a floor-mounted luxury two-way radio telephone for the diplomats to work on the go.

On the exterior, it featured an accented chrome line from side indicator-to-indicator, and the mandated Letaran flag one side, and home country of Italy on the other. Reinforced window glass also provided extra protection at the downside of more weight.

Performance wasn’t the strongest of suits for the Tipo 555: 0-60mph in 11.5s and a top speed of just over 121mph due to high gearing for better fuel economy, but comfort, smoothness and prestige shone bright like a star aided by hydraulic ball steering and the hydropneumatic suspension.

Vizzuri Drago QV Corsa '64

Shown in Metallico Luce Dell'oceano Onda d'urto with Bianco stripes

With three podiums from 1959 to 1963, Scuderia Vizzuri felt they needed to produce a faster car this time: The Drago QV Corsa was the answer (hopefully).

With the Quattrovalvole being highly successful at making power, it was used again though the engine was de-stroked and de-bored to a slightly lighter 4.5L V8 unit capable of 426hp. The Drago QV Corsa was quite a bit smaller than the previous Drago, as well as back to basics with a front-mid-engined RWD layout. Extremely wide tyres and usage of aero rated the cornering G forces at 1.12-1.20Gs, and able to launch to 60 in 4.8s, up to a phenomenal 190mph. Under testing at Lerance Raceway, it was able to get average lap times of 4:51.

The Drago QV Corsa retained all road-legal equipment to enable it to go and showcase around the roads of Letara before the big race, as well as maybe a little zoom zoom action on the motorways…

Scuderia Vizzuri driver and company co-owner Dante Rizzo would take up the gauntlet of driving the #8 Drago QV Corsa, as well as Zeno Pesaro being on standby as a second driver/maintenance crew chief.

Gallery

18 Likes

BENETSCH RACING: THE NEXT CHAPTER

Karl Selic is worried - real worried. Paradoxically, he’s more worried now than he was in 1959, when he was first entrusted with the racing program, or even a year ago in 1962 - when, in a meeting laced with shouting, arguing and threats of firing or resignation, he convinced Klaas von Benetsch - his boss - to shell out for an all-new racing prototype. Of course, said prototype is the source of his fears.

Leaning on the accursed thing outside the Benetsch proving grounds in Marbork, Selic spots the figure he dreaded. Short but with wide shoulders and a confident stride, a worker’s mustache and donning a dirty leather jacket, the CEO approaches from the direction of the main office - and looking seriously unhappy.

Karl: Good day, Commander.

Klaas: What’s going on, Selic? I came here for a progress report and all I find is an office full of engineers trying to kiss my ass. Does the car not work or something?

Karl: No, it… works.

Klaas: Then what the hell gives? I’ve never seen your people act like a bunch of apologetic sycophants.

Karl: Well, for what we’ve invested in the car, it’s simply not fast enough.

Klaas: Not fast enough… Is that all? Let me see.

von Benetsch falls into the driver’s seat and, finding the key in the ignition, drives off with a pronounced chirp of the tires. Selic can only watch as the Commander manhandles the thing around the proving grounds, encountering the same frustrating grip limits his test pilots noted. Strangely, he looks less pissed off when he gets back from his fifth lap.

Klaas: I see your issue. You built a car only to find out your tire costs and the like would run us out of the mandatory service budget, so it’s not sticky enough anymore.

Karl: I’m sorry. We really should have gone smaller and lighter, like W–

Klaas: Aaaah, shaddup! First it’s Zephorus, now it’s Wolfe. You’re always belly-aching over minor imperfections. The car’s fast enough in a straight line; focus on increasing our lead there and we’ll be golden. Also, forward the engine blueprint to corporate; I’m putting it in a road car.

Karl: Wait, what?

Klaas: You heard me. A seven… No, it won’t need to rev as high… Eight-liter engine in a road car. We might well end up with the fastest road car made.

Karl: And what of the bolide?

Klaas: Just chuck it at a race track and find out. I didn’t allocate all that money for you to pull the plug out of fear.

7 Likes

Broken down? Not with the Anhultz Dione I

Prepare for the birth of the long-living AMP Terra line of engines.
Car in White released in 1966

Affordable Luxury. Anhultz Superkroon

OOC:
my internet went bust and i am posting this via mobile data, hence the lack of effort. sowwy :frowning:

9 Likes

The Selecta improved considerably over its lifetime, with small improvements to the manufacturing process and consistency of quality being made to almost every unit that rolled off the line. Better assembly parts and methods were incorporated, the selection process for the recycled steel became more rigorous and proceduralized while reinforcing ribs were subtly added to the panels along key trim lines, and off-the-shelf parts such as lights and fasteners were slowly brought in-house and standardized. Production of the progressive springs used in the Sintapa export package was expanded to the rest of the lineup and became a stock option, improving handling and overall feel of the car for little additional cost. New radial tires have been developed that still fit the same rim so that old sets can still be used up or kept as spares while still allowing the car a modern feel and ride, while the hubcaps became as stylish as they were functional. The final conglomeration of these updates as an as-built model, coupled with a new-age facelift, became the next generation of the Selecta.

Known internally as the M312, the new model was effectively mechanically identical to the last one, differing only in appearance and quality. Compared to before, two Selecta owners could now share more parts and less headaches, and feel more confident overall in their car while delivering the same promises they had bought into with the previous version. What’s more, this interchangeability extended to the improved powertrain, allowing owners of an older Selecta to save costs by buying a new engine and transmission crate for installation into a previous chassis, a novel practice that would be considered market self-cannibalization by a privately-operated manufacturer, but was still a source of plenty of income for SUMA and became a hallmark feature of the Selecta family of sedans.

Unable to continue the Sintapa convertible due to exceedingly poor powerplant performance, SUMA instead started looking for ways to dig their heels in in the market they had pioneered (and that Mara had unexpectedly intruded on). Seeing as the majority of SUMA customers remained outside urban areas, and already utilizing a monocoque-with-subframe structure, it was easy to come to the conclusion of a ute. The Letaran market had been soured long ago by small, incapable car-based pickups, but the Selecta had thoroughly proven itself as a rugged and capable platform, and their target market was unlikely to require the power and capacity of true work vehicles. Rather, the simple folk who needed simple cars would also need a simple ute. The San Porta was the answer.

Manufacturing couldn’t be simpler, as it already shared its entire front half with the Selecta, and it was only a matter of chopping the passenger cab in half and bolting on some extended panels to make a bed. The result was much lighter and alleviated many of the problems that had initially plagued the ASE powerplant, and paired well with the platform’s existing performance in towing and locking diff to make a surprisingly robust work vehicle. The easy replacement of damaged parts due to cheap body panels and commonality with the other models would be very attractive for light work purposes. An additional low gear compared to the sedan topped the package off like a nice bow.

13 Likes

MONS 356-ESQUE RETURNS

Thus far it looks like there will be fewer cars in R1 than R2, so Mons will enter R1 to “pad the field”. Mons’ race car is another evolution of the 356-esque, which was first used in the Portunis CannonBall Run, and later in the first era of racing at the Lerance Raceway.

The car’s superficial resemblance to its predecessors is just that - superficial. The previous cars were fully road-legal, and competed in the road-car category at Lerance. This time, a full-blown racing machine was developed.

For the new era of racing the car was re-designed from the ground up. A brand new monocoque chassis provides the strong yet light backbone for this racing monster. Aluminium panels aid with weight reduction (as well as showcasing the quality of domestic Letaran aluminium!). The powerplant is a large 6.5L V8 with all of the modern technologies available at this time (showcasing top-quality Letaran engineering!). Power output is 480 hp (real hp). All this power is translated to the road through a sturdy 5-speed manual gearbox and the latest in oversized radial tires. Ultimate cornering grip is provided by the fully independent double-wishbone suspension front and rear, and over-engineered aerodynamics.

With a predicted top speed just under 300 km/h (ok, it could’ve gone faster, but for service cost reasons it is limited), an acceleration from 0-100 km/h in 4.6 s, and a track time of under 4 minutes and 50 seconds, reasonable fuel consumption resulting in a predicted race run without pitstops, this car is sure to be among the top runners - unless all that new tech decides to blow itself up, of course.

10 Likes

NEW! For 1970...

From Niichi of Letara: Niichi Dynema

Designed from the ground-up to suit the tastes of the Letaran market - introducing the Niichi Dynema

The economical Dynema sedan - featuring a 1.4L over-head cam-driven inline-four

The spacious Dynema estate - hauls 1080 liters of cargo at 8.8L/100km

The sporting Niichi Dynema Aquila - featuring a 1.8L double over-head cam engine and all-around independent suspension

Economy - Elegance - Excellence: The Niichi Motor Company Promise

15 Likes

TURBOL Corporation Presents:

The 1964 Stellar

With continued success of existing models, Stellar’s all new 1964 model was more evolution than revolution. Mechanically very similar to the model it replaced, it was updated in a few key areas.

With the condition of Letaran roads improving, the engine was redesigned with higher speed travel in mind. Now displacing 1.9 or 2.1 liters, and producing between 56 and 66 hp, 0-100 kmh acceleration improved across the model line to 20 seconds or less.

The poorly received Trekker was discontinued with no direct replacement.

The Stellar Dragonet replaced both the Saloon and Personal Bus. The Dragonet Saloon maintained the typical 5 seat family sedan layout, while the Dragonet Estate eschewed the Personal Bus’ unusual single front seat, 3 door, 7 passenger high roof layout for a more conventional 8 passenger, 5 door estate layout.

One year after the introduction of the Dragonet, the Damosielle was introduced. This model was a shift for Stellar; the company’s target in Letara had been to offer large, comfortable, and desirable family cars on a city car budget. The Damosielle instead aimed to rival premium and luxury cars on interior and ride comfort at a considerably more affordable price. To differentiate it from the cheap Dragonet, the Damosielle recieved updated styling, a vinyl top, and the more powerful engine as standard.

15 Likes

All New 1973 Mitsushita Royale

The first model with specification made specifically for Letaran Market in a brand new local factory.
Available in 3 different trims, all using fuel injected Inline 6 for maximum efficiency and smooth power delivery.

2.0 liter DXi and GTCi are the mainstream model in Sedan and Coupe guise. With decent equipment and affordable price. Also able to run on E10. Thus it is one of the most ecologically sound car available on the market.

What’s really exciting though, is this.

This is the Mitsushita Royale 2500 GT-RS, a special homologation model made originally only for the Japanese market. However, after the racing efforts of the local Mitsushita distributor to bring their car racing, especially after the Mitsushita sent their official support for Kuruan 3000GT in the R2 race, it was deemed worthy to bring this special model to be built to order in Letara as well.

The 2500 GT-RS is different from the Japanese model in many ways, as with the base GTCi. Although it is softer and more usable, it is still an extremely hard core model that’s not expected to sell in great numbers, but should provide decent showroom traffic that should lead to better sales for the DXi and GTCi.

11 Likes

Mara goes Letara, Round 3 - TL;DR

(Since I ended up with eight episodes instead of the planned five, I guess it's time for one of these again...)

Consumer car offering:

From right to left: Mara Irena 1.3 TR (Transporter Regular), 2.0 SK (Sedan Komfort), 2.0 UK (Universal Komfort)

Rear perspective. The rear indicators are now identical between all body shapes, as is the new reverse light.

Sedan and wagon receive the all-new 2.0 litre Perspekt engine, and a new grille compared to the 1963 models in order to distinguish them from the 1.3 litre models (which continue to be available as well but only the 1.3 litre van is submitted as part of the challenge).

Regular trims now have only a plastic window trim but also sport an - albeit basic - radio over the 1963 models. The transporter van gets an optional rear glass window, re-using the same rear door as the wagon.

A Regular Irena interior: a bare metal dashboard with minimalist controls and vinyl seats

A Komfort Irena interior: a vinyl padded dashboard with minimalist controls and cloth seats

Race car entry:

A track-tuned 3-door Irena sedan with the 4.0 V8 Blyz engine from the Irena interceptor version (Archana only) tuned to 250 hp. Supported as a semi-works effort and driven by Letaran John Summer (who had raced a privately entered Mara Companion prototype the years before).

11 Likes

Just popping in to say I completely approve of this challenge. Cake tried to check in with me, put in every reasonable effort and has acted as the pillar of community we are used to.

For an explanation on what happened to ALC, see Automation Legacy Challenge (BONUS ROUND - Racing) - #429 by AMuteCrypt

5 Likes
1966 LIBERTY CATALOG
Distributed by Liberty Corp.

Moving Up the Market

After the release of the Liberty New Yorker, Liberty has changed itself from the regular family brand to the exclusive and revolutionary luxury brand. But don’t worry families, we still have a car for you that gives you a taste of the new Liberty brand. This catalogue will show you our future as a brand, and the cars that you can buy in our dealerships.

The Most Practical Car Ever

Our new Liberty Familia is the most practical family car you can buy right now. It features 9 total seats, with 8 of them being removable, and a large cargo space between the 2nd and 3rd row. The Familia is the perfect car not only for families, but for companies that need to haul. Travelling with the whole family? Use 9 seats. Going on a road trip but carrying lots of luggage? Use 6 seats. Hauling? Use 3 seats, or 1 seat. We believe that the Familia is perfect for everyone due to its flexibility. It is priced at 16500 AMU.

Statistics
  • 3L I6 Engine
  • Fuel Injection
  • 12.3L/100km
  • 3 Gear Automatic “Button” Transmission
  • Standard Interior
  • Total 9 Seats; 1 Driver, 8 Removable Passenger
  • Standard AM Radio
  • Advanced Safety
  • Cruise Control
Gallery

Luxury for the Family

The Liberty Civilian is a car that brings Luxury to families. It features a prestigious customizable interior with 5 seats, with a high quality AM radio. It is crafted with high quality leather and wood. Cruise Control is featured allowing for easy driving. It is priced at 21500 AMU, a low price for a car this good.

Statistics
  • 3L I6 Premium Engine
  • Fuel Injection
  • Partially Curstomizable Luxury Interior
  • 5 Leather Seats
  • High Quality AM Radio
  • Power Steering
  • Advanced Safety
  • Cruise Control
Gallery

The New Most Luxurious Car

In 1956, The first generation Liberty New Yorker was labeled as the most comfortable car ever made. This year we will one up ourselves by releasing the second generation Liberty New Yorker II. It features a fully customizable interior allowing you to truly make the car yours. It is hand built by a special team and is crafted with the highest quality leather and wood we can find. Like the previous generation, there is a record player included, and there is a new ice box allowing you to stored chilled drinks. It is priced at 28500 AMU.

Statistics
  • 3L I6 Premium Engine
  • Fuel Injection
  • Fully Curstomizable Hand-Made Interior
  • 4 Leather Seats
  • High Quality AM Radio
  • Phonograph
  • Power Steering
  • Advanced Safety
  • Cruise Control
  • Ice Box
Gallery

Helping the Government

Liberty Corp. Has sent a recent prototype to the Letaran government: A luxury vehicle for diplomats. It is a modified Liberty New Yorker that is built to have a lower cost and higher efficiency. We hope that our cars are chosen for the project.

Gallery

The Little Bird that Could

The last car is the 1964 Liberty Falcon Racer, which is a modified version of the Liberty Falcon (Not Sold In Letara). This year, we are the underdogs of the race. We have a car that are confident is going to win this year’s race. We wish luck to the racing drivers

Gallery

Liberty Corp. Advertising and Engineering Department, 1966
Building 420, 69th Avenue
Philidelphia, PA, USA
+1-215-xxx-xxxx

In the office (Lore)

Michael, the new CEO, entered his office. He sat down on the plush leather chair his dad used sit on. He looked at the ashtray, the typewriter, the pack of cigars his dad bought him as a gift. He wanted to continue the legacy his dad started, except, he knew he had to make changes to the company before they began to sink.

He called out his engineers: “I need all lead engineers in my office!”. The new engineers scurried into the office and sat down. He looked at them, but not in the way his father would. “Alright! As you know, I’m the new boss here, and I believe all of you are the new engineers we hired. I welcome you to the company”. The engineers gave a light smile.

“We’re glad to work with you,” one of them said.

“Thank you. Unfortunately, it has taken a while for us to find engineers as good as all of you, and our next project needs to get done rather soon”. He sat and started to think a little bit. “I love direction that Liberty Corp is heading towards, but I think it is time to refresh our brand. As you know, our last generation helped establish ourselves as luxury brand. It was a great idea. However, we need to do away with these awfully large land barges”. Michael remembers his dad struggling to drive and park his New Yorker.

“Sir, how do we create a luxury car without it being large?” an engineer asked.

“Good question,” Michael responded. “That’s up to you to figure out. You are the engineers.” They quietly talked amongst themselves and that focused their attention back on the CEO. “In addition to a luxury car, I believe that it would be best to try to remain in the family market. I think that it is still possible to succeed there. Any questions?” There was a pause. "Okay. All of you are dismissed. Get to brainstorming

Several Weeks Later

The engineers entered Michael’s office. They looked excited, but cautious. “Have a seat,” Muchael said. The engineers sat down.

“After a couple of weeks of brainstorming, we figured out what would be best for the company.” The engineers hand their blueprints to the CEO. He looked over each blue print.

“Interesting” he said. “I believe that these cars are perfect. I love the new Familia with its flexible seating. Ooh! And the ice box in the New Yorker. All of these cars are perfect!” The engineers let out a nice smile. “One more thing. I am going to need you to modify the New Yorker for the government. They are requesting luxury cars for diplomats. Just create a new model that is cheaper and more effecient and I think that would be fine. Good job to all of you! Have a good day.” He stood up and shook the hands of the engineers.

10 Likes