[LHC] - Letara History Challenge - Rd 5 [Results being posted]

Small updates

I’ve added some updates to the Prologue:

• Clarified reverse light rule that it allows for two lights, but at least one is mandated.
  • I added some wording around the aero ruleset to prevent obvious cheezing.
  • I totally forgot to add that pitstops in racing are going to be introduced, so I added that.

And since the post went over the 32k character limit, I copied/pasted the closing words to here…

Remember, overarching rules are in the OP, so please read that too (especially new participants).

For returning companies, please re-use your LHC DM threads to submit your cars.

9 Likes

I didnt hear any mention of my Thunder Cruise idea. Am I just blind or was it not significant enough?

What does the rules mean when it says the aluminimum tax is non cumulative??

Lodging a strong protest against the current specifics of the R1/Unlimited class. It’s very difficult to build R1 cars within the current limitations to be meaningfully faster than R2 cars of the last era; in particular, the service costs of any car that goes above 186 mph are practically impossible to put into the limits due to tire limitations.

It doesn’t look like we’ll be able to get to the madness of 200+ mph at all.

Also, I would like to say that the current “100 mph limiter” policy is very situational because apart from MFI, electronic limiters don’t exist in Automation. Maybe 100 mph should be eligible for the tax break regardless of whether or not it’s electronically-limited.

2 Likes

R1 cars, due to the fact they’re not road legal anyway, should not have service cost restrictions

2 Likes

I agree with you. R1 cars are impossible to get under 5 minutes lap time without otherwise doing serious minimaxing.

Like, my attempt at an R1 class build could only muster 5:36.00 at best.

4 Likes

Oh, I got a 4:50 lap time with a legal R1 bolide. It’s definitely not impossible. I’m just sulking about being unable to build a literal Ford GT40 equal for racing.

I’m not technically participating yet but plan to submit a company within 24hs and at least from an outside perspective the service cost for R1 seems pretty low for a race car especially if you’re aiming for something with a decent top speed (ps can anyone help me download the race track I can’t seem to properly install it)

1 Like

@IDK158 I don’t know what Thunder Cruise is. I’d like to bring this to your attention again:

@Vento I should’ve said compounding. It basically means that you don’t pay tax on already added tax - each tax item is calculated separately based on the base price and then added to the final price.

@Texaslav In the immortal words of Adrian Newey (I paraphrase) - it is an eternal cat and mouse game between rule makers and engineers. Cars get too fast, so new regulations try to make them slower. And then engineers try to recuperate the lost time. The racing got a little dangerous last round, so this is the natural response to try to slow the cars down. Also, someone actively lobbied to have service costs factor into the cost ruleset of racing… In any case, take it as a challenge :wink:

@Soviet_Russia You can download the .zip file, then unzip the folder into your automation user data folder (C:\Users[your_user_name]\AppData\Local\AutomationGame\Saved\UserData\Tracks). If this folder doesn’t exist yet, create it, then move the unzipped track folder there. Each track sits inside its own folder and has two files - a .lua file and a .png file.

1 Like

thanks but i already did that it just isent working for whatever reason (also dam they had to ruin the fun should’ve at least asked for a higher max cost in return for higher safety or somethin but the extra challenge will be fun)

Pit stop explanation

Some people asked for a quick explanation of how pit stops are calculated. Here is the short version:

Your car’s fuel tank size is calculated based on its footprint: you multiply the footprint (m^2) by 10 to get the fuel tank volume in litres (i.e., if your car’s footprint is 10 m^2, then your fuel tank is 100 L).

You know your fuel economy (easiest to use L/100 km for this). So let’s say your car uses 10 L/100 km, so you know that on one tank your car can go 10x100: 1000 km. Note that I do add an RNG factor to the fuel economy, so results may vary a little.

The race track is 14.6 km long. So you can calculate how many laps your car can do on a single tank (in this case 1000/14.6=68.5 laps). This car would not need to stop for fuel. Of course this is a rather large yet economical car, so your mileage (pardon the pun) might vary.

I hope this clears it up and you can go forth with being able to estimate how many fuel stops your car will need to complete a 25 or 20 lap race.

4 Likes

You must unzip the folder, go into it, and put the nested folder in /Tracks due to the way windows 10 unzips things

It’s called AppData/local

Hello, @cake_ape
I was reading the consumer regulations and observed that there was nothing about flake and pearlescent paints incurring additional charges. I wasn’t sure if this was a decision or an accidental omission so I wanted to ask before going ahead.

2 Likes

If it ain’t in the rules it ain’t in the rules. :wink:

3 Likes

@cake_ape Hi! I have a question (not regarding the rules). Many countries have designated colors for racing (British Racing Green, American Blue and White). Has Letara settled on a racing color?

No, but I could suggest to consider the colours of the flag to come up with something original?

2 Likes
Canadian Motors Applications for LHC R3

Showcasing the applications for LHC R3 from Canadian Motors.

Canadian Motors Lucania Excecutive Brougham

A Mafia-style limousine that’s guaranteed to be head-turning as it plus a posse of black SUVs surrounding it moves through the area.

Canadian Motors is the parent company of Canadian Heavy Industries, and its factory racing team, Velocity, having produced a wide array of vehicles meant for commercial applications elsewhere in the British Commonwealth and export markets since 1906.

It was decided that for the G car submission, the engineering department in collaboration with the petrochemical engineering department would adapt the Lucania Executive Brougham’s 6.7L V8 to run on ethanol.

Big and prestigious-looking, the Lucania Executive Brougham sits on a 172 inch platform coupled to a 6.7L V8 with an automatic transmission for peak comfort.
A cabin built with the highest quality materials from Canada and top notch sound system, this car is guaranteed to work for diplomatic and presidential duties should the need arise.
The Executive Broughham also comes standard with an AM radio, engine block heater, and a cabin heater rated for even the coldest of Letaran winters. After import, the cost of the Executive Brougham comes to approximately $23,130 AMU (complying with safety and speed limiter tax breaks)

Canadian Motors’ engineers would like to warn Letaran officials that L/100 km results may be undesirable, practically 12.35L/100 km short of the 15L/100 km guideline - they did all they could regarding economy and recommending smaller engines (which may make the car undesirably slow), but the large engine was ultimately required to move the weight of the vehicle.

While not exactly built for speed, the car is protective against radical beings should they decide to attack the car.
The car is equipped with Dunlop’s experimental run-flat tires, 2 inch thick steel plating underneath for protection against IEDs, and armored plating thick enough to protect against API rounds, bodywork and all.

Canadian Motors
A company for all.

1 Canadian Motors Circle,
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
+1 519-XXX-XXXX

8 Likes

VAUGHN REVUE LETARA

The magazine that goes out to all of you Letarans driving a Vaughn, Wraith or VCV
Winter 1964

VAUGHN ENTERS TOURING CLASS

With the change in classes and regulations, as well as the old generation Torpedo ending production, this will be the entry for 1964 in the new touring (R2) class at Lerance raceway. It is based on the high performance GTC version of the Vaughn Endura, but with the engine destroked and detuned to 249 hp to fit inside the regulations. Since the cars in the Touring class has to be street legal, however, this performance machine is closer related to a production model Endura GTC than it might first appear!

Fall 1966
SPREAD YOUR WINGS, SILVERBIRD!

The so called “pony cars” are all the rage in the US at the moment. And why should they have all the fun when Letarans deserve it, too? That’s why the new Silverbird soon will be assembled at our Lerance plant. We will concentrate on three models. The base model coupé (blue car) with a newly developed 162 hp inline six, featuring an overhead camshaft just like european sports cars, coupled to a 3 speed manual. The convertible with the “Rallye” package (purple car) which enhances the outer appearance with things like bumper guards, rocker panel trim and wire wheel covers, as well as having power steering and front disc brakes. The Rallye Convertible has a 204 hp V8 coupled to a 3-speed automatic transmission.

If you want to go fast, however, the GTC (gold) is the answer to all your dreams. You can see it already on the outside. The fat sports compound tyres on styled steel wheels. The black panel between the taillights. The colour matched fiberglass front bumper. Twin hood scoops. Stripes. Rear window louvers. But even more important is the 313 hp V8, 4 speed manual transmission, Posi-traction differential and sports tuned suspension. Unfortunately, it will NOT feature the spoilers of the US market model, due to being illegal in Letara, which we can’t do anything about.

Winter 1970
A WRAITH FOR DIPLOMATS

Something that automobile enthusiasts all over the world seems to agree about, is that if you want to ride in style, the Wraith Chillingham is one of the best choices you can make.

At the moment, we are hoping to get a government contract on this special built Chillingham, as the new official diplomat vehicle of Letara. Because if you want a ride that is good enough for a diplomat, what could then possibly be better than a Wraith?

13 Likes

1964 Wolfram Wyvern V12

It’s taken a while, but Wolfram has finally fitted a V12 engine to its flagship sports car, the Wyvern. Displacing 5 liters and developing 300 bhp, this engine has two overhead cams per cylinder bank and draws its fuel (now unleaded) from a mechanical fuel injection system, with the power being sent to the rear wheels via a new 5-speed manual gearbox and a clutched LSD. To better cope with the new engine, forged magnesium wheels wrapped in high-performance radial tires come as standard, as do four-wheel disc brakes. Inside, the flagship Wyvern comes with a true luxury interior and AM radio, to distinguish it from the original six-cylinder Wyvern. Priced at $31,000 AMU in 1962, the ultimate Wyvern doesn’t come cheap, but anyone who can afford it won’t be disappointed: with a top speed of 160 mph and a 0-60 mph time of 5.7 seconds, there is very little that can keep up with it in a straight line, and race-tuned suspension keeps it agile in the corners with a modicum of comfort.

9 Likes