[LHC] - Letara History Challenge - Rd 5 [Results being posted]

Greetings Comrades

We pull up

First of we have our newly designed Rushba. New body, new engine same price.

For our dear comrades in the goverment, we send our greatest love from Moscow: The Tachanka.
A long sleek limo with an even longer engine. If you need a bit more protection we can fit this out with a gunners flap, front facing maschine guns and a deployable smoke screen. You know, the stuff you need when driving through does certain districts

13 Likes

Mara goes Letara, Ep. 3-7: Letting it fly

Previous post

Late morning, 17th June 1965, Mara’s proving grounds on the south shore of Lake Mara, near Mostovka, Archana

After testing the Irena racecar prototype on the flat handling course, Yenna Bielicki, Rodyn Gumprov and Marek Krowalkowski now moved on to testing the handling in banked corners. Coincidentally, two banked corner sections had been added to the proving grounds only a few years ago - a quick 90 degree dirt corner and a long 180 degrees one on asphalt/concrete.

Especially the latter was said to be their boss Fedor’s pride, although noone else really understood the need for testing their production cars in more high-speed cornering and braking situations.

Mara race car testing, part 2: banked corner handling (with video)

While everyone rearranged a couple of cones and barriers on the track for the layout switch. Rodyn reflected that both Yenna and himself have both risen through the ranks over the last couple of years more or less by serendipity through difficult projects.

They both had in common that they worked on the first Letaran racecar project - the conversion of three of their Tovarysh / Companion prototypes into cannonball cars in the late 1940s. Yenna was tasked (and succeeded) with turning the undersquare and recalcitrant Visim 2.5l flat-4 into a durable racecar engine. For himself, preparing the three prototypes for Henri, Fedor and himself was essentially a side-task of overseeing the general Tov prototype testing. Both Yenna and Rodyn had also in common that their advances had mostly been due to the (rare) favour of their boss Fedor Piechov, Comrade Director of Engineering.

After they were done preparing the new layout, their chief test driver Marek took the prototype out for a spin through the perimeter layout which included the 180 degree banked corner. On his first attempt the car did not look too stable and the Tyrelli Cinquerato tyres were protesting loudly over the loads they had to endure. The second attempt was hardly any better. Marek immediately came back to the pits and got out of the car, his hands slightly shaking.

“This is insane, if you ask me!” he shouted agitatedly. “The car wants to go everywhere but straight on the exit! I didn’t have much time to look at the speedo, but I must have done beyond 120 kph on the exit. This is nuts!”

Rodyn tried to calm him down. “You are right… and that’s exactly why we are here. Instability and oversteer on the exit you say? Let me make some adjustments.”

They raised the car somewhat on a makeshift contraption and Rodyn slipped under the Irena racecar prototype, getting to work. After a short while, he re-emerged.

“If you don’t mind, I’ll have another go”, said Rodyn. “I think it’s easier for me to know what to change when I experienced it myself.” Marek had no objections and happily stepped aside.

“Much better”, Rodyn mumbled to himself after his first attempt of the banked corner at speed with a softened rear suspension.

LHC3-7-YT

The Irena R2 being driven right on the edge

After a couple of laps, Rodyn got back to the pits, his hands equally shaking, but he was much less agitated than Marek a couple minutes earlier. “Much more stable, yet still one of the more dangerous things I have ever done”, he announces.

“And fun?” Yenna asked with a wink.

“Probably”, Rodyn muttered. “I think there is still some more to be had…” He vanished again underneath the prototype.

Meanwhile, their two spectators had approached the pit area: the Andriy and Anya Mayster twins, son and daughter of the founder of one of the few, if not the only, Archanan boutique sports car manufacturers. Andriy has a model airplane in his hand, apparently an Aljoscha Al-62.

“What do you like better - cars or airplanes?” asked Marek while Rodyn was still working underneath the car.

“Or engines?” Yenna joined the conversation.

“Engines, no question!” That was Anya’s quick and determined reply.

Andriy took a few seconds to consider the answer. “I like both, but I think I rather design airplanes when I grow up.”

“Why is that?” did Yenna want to know.

“There is a comrade in my father’s company, she is originally from the aircraft industry. She always says that the biggest difference between car and airplane designers is that car engineers focus on the visible five sides of a car, but airplane engineers think about the sixth side, the underside, as well. I always want to think about all sides.”

Rodyn stopped working, got hastily out from underneath the car, and looked at Andriy. “What did you just say?” He immediately went back underneath the prototype and seemed to just look around instead of working. Yenna, Marek and the twins stared at Rodyn, until he re-emerged again.

“Maybe…”, Rodyn started, as he got up and came back to the four others. “Maybe there is also room for car engineers to consider all sides of the car in the future. Just something for you to think about…”

He beckoned to Yenna to join him at the car and they walked around it, gesturing to each other, and leaving the Mayster twins (and Marek) wondering what Rodyn and Yenna were now on about.

All they could clearly make out from their conversation was Yenna’s final suggestion to Rodyn after they had made a complete lap around the red prototype. “Maybe you should then indeed talk to the professionals in the aero industry? They for sure know how to streamline a shape… on all sides.”

6 Likes

Letara, 1964

“Wow, you really managed to build this within two months?”
“Yes, Mr. Frehse. Our high output engine from last year delivers 205 horsepower. that was not enough. And it had 5,2 liters displacement, too heavy for that small car. We had to build an engine from scratch.”
“You have my respect. Can we reuse it in production cars?”
“Nope, too expensive and advanced for our current lineup. Nevertheless, we made a lot of experience and improved our knowledge. Our first prototype needed almost six minutes on the track, and not only the engine, but also the chassis has not much to do with your company car anymore.”
Ludger Frehse nodded. “So, I read in the description that you fitted the rear axle of the Iratus. A good idea, and it saved a lot of time. Who is going to drive it?”

“Franck Mercier, a relatively young driver, but it’s astonishingly easy to handle on track, so he won’t trash it, we guess. The ride is very unpleasant, and as he is still young his back might bear it… at least we hope so.”

“Great job, guys. Now, paid vacation for everyone who was involved in this. I can’t wait to see Monsieur Mercier in this to restore the reputation of the Astrona.”

7 Likes

1966 Swanson 200 mk2 - Now Actually Made in Letara

Now 100% more modern, 100% less beetle
Next-gen OHC 2-valve engines for more power and less consumption. Slightly smaller, but compensates with general competence and airy, non-claustrophobic interior.

225 PF - Sporty Ginger Spice

225 PO - topless fun with friends + more interior

217 GF - some politician will probably want the bright color ban again after seeing this

Sometimes I think a certain baguette is the GOAT car if only it had more power

Government bid: Swanson 555 mk2

Launched in 1964 to appeal more to the conservative yet contemporary customers of larger cars than its predecessor.
Has that self-shifting transmission and vinyl roof Americans like, the big engine, plushy interior, a passenger sunroof, and aural therapy grade 8 track for playback of national songs and propaganda.
Diplomat duty car comes with quad flag poles for peak nationalism moments, just add your very own flags.

Welcome to Letara, would you like some refreshments on the way Sir?

255 RC (mk1 FL) R2 Class

No, that’s not a typo, it has the 5,5L big six from the 500, but aluminium, as are the body panels. It’s faster around the track and should be more reliable than that prototype we had to write off last time.

behave yourselves, I will give you a taste of my bowling shoe

11 Likes

Garland Automotive Group

1968 Garland (and Lombard) Line-up

The Crown Jewel
1968 Lombard Tenerife

Ah the Tenerife, the top of the line, the crown jewel of the Garland hierarchy. Are you some rich business owner that likes to show off that you have money? Then the Tenerife is for you, packing a 7L V8 under the hood, it surely does pack a punch, however the engine is tuned for smoothness, not power.

The Rebel
1968 Garland Valiente Prancer SR

As the surname suggests, the Prancer Valiente is a rebellious car for rebellious people, nearly 400 horses under your feet, and you’ll feel the alright, its got the same engine as the Tenerife, though this time its tuned for performance. safety? comfort? those were optional either way.

The Tame
1968 Garland Valiente

Do you need a comfortable enough car for a reasonable enough price for reasonable enough people? Then the Valiente is for you, a smooth six cylinder delivers just enough to get this thing going, is it fast? not particularly no, is it fun? no, not really… (ignore the wheel angle being all funky).

racing

The Little Prick
1968 Garland Determinator SR

For '68 Garland brought their litlle pony car to the frey, a small block V8 powers this beast, but dont let its small size fool you, this one really packs a punch.

lore

After the market success that was the now old reliable L-series platform, Garland of Letara moved forward, primarily in management; Alex Sounderois, the former president and CEO of GoL, resigned after nearly 20 years as the chairman. He got replaced by a cunning young gun that had a passion for racing and all things petrol, Robert Davis.

Davis would reshape GoL into a more youthful company, while still retaining what gave Garland soul, its connection to the fields and agricultural workers that gave Garland a chance. He introduced the newly designed Valiente into the streets of Lerance and Letara as a whole, one would think bringing a big, boaty american full-sized would fail, like it did back in 1952 with the Aero line, but Davis hoped otherwise.

Davis also reincorporated Collins Racing into Garland, giving them a new moniker… SR Performance Team.

Garland of America is hoping this change in management for GoL goes smoothly, and maybe even succeed, but whose to say, this venture into Letara has certainly been a rollercoaster of events.

As for the future? Garland has began introducing newer technologies into their cars, including things like Fuel Injection, and seatbelts.

16 Likes

Totally not JOC2 recycling :smiley:

I am looking foward to compete against these cars, your engineering is always sound and the visuals stand out from the mass.

1 Like

after a few years of experimentation, 1969 saw the reveal of Vausse’s riskiest car yet. The Sportility. A combination of Sports and Utility, the objective was to create the perfect all rounder. A car that could be used as a farmers workhorse, and his sons racecar at the same time. A car that could do everything you dreamt of. Due to wanting to brand this as the brands new Flagship, Vausse decided to sell it in Letara, where they had previously sold the Rainier sibling cars which ended up being a case of the only people buying it not knowing about Wolfram Wyvern.

with this car, Vausse were either ready to conquer the market, or fall short of it

5 Likes

12 Likes

Nerruci Motors Corporation Goes To Letara

Lore

Founded by Maximilian Gunther and Davide Nerucci in 1949, in Meranio, Fruinia. The Low funded team quickly found speed in domestic competition in Fruinia and are one of the top teams in Fruinia’s racing scene. In 1953, Maximilian Gunther alongside Davide Nerucci established a car company, Nerucci Motors Corporation from the MGRT’s Engineering department to fund MGRT in the racing scene. In 1961 there was a big buzz in Fruinia about a a race in a neighboring country of Letara. The race features 3 different classes of road legal cars turned race cars going against eachother. In 1962, Maximilian Gunther went to Letara to witness the race that made Fruinia, a country that loves their racing culture, exploded. Max witness one of the most exciting racing he has ever seen yet. With leads changing from corner to corner, heartbreak for some drivers, it was amazing. Back at home, Davide and the engineering team at MGRT are working on a new car when suddenly the office telephone rang, it was Maximilian. He had told Davide about the Letara race and had also made Davide excited. They began developing a car for the 1963 race but the car wasn’t able to be finished in time of the race. The two friends still went on to see the race that year. After the race has ended, the two went to see the race organisers to ask for regulations for next year’s race, and the two began developing the car for the 1964 race at Letara. They decided to join the race as Nerucci Squadra Corse in 1964 as to boost the popularity of Nerucci Motors Corporation in the event of them opening a dealer in Letara.

1964 Honduro Performante

Nerruci Squadra Corse would like to announce it’s official participation in Letara Race at Lerance Raceway. Powered by a 6L V12 engine that produces over 500hp, Nerruci Squadra Corse hopes that their driver Fabrizio Lorenzo could grab the top step or at the very least, finish the race.

Gallery

10 Likes
is anyone even going to read this? I guess I'll just put a spaceship here (_)(_)=====D~~

Planar History Files: Planar arrives in Letara.

P&A since Round 2

Since launching the Paceman, P&A had been sitting pretty in Letara. Decent sales, even for the premium market, for the few years where the Paceman was the most compelling option available led to P&A having much more of a customer base in the Letaran market than they expected. Possibly the only stain on this period of their existence in Letara was the extremely poor performance in the race series at Lerance Raceway.

The engine deals with Rotomax and Lyons were going along well, P&A’s subsidiaries were going well, everything was looking up for the company! Not that it would last long, with internal issues well on the way.

The 1964 cars, the P&A Sportsman Mk.III Flat 6 & Sportsman Mk.III Flat 6 Race Spec

Mk.III lore

Now seen as the most important car in the company’s history, at the time of its release the Mk.III Sportsman was mostly seen internally as a desperate attempt to beat its contemporaries at their own game.

With features mostly included to match the XJ, it was a comfortable, sporty sedan, with “The smoothest 6 cylinder in the world” powering it. Said 6 cylinder was an impressive engine too, developed in partnership with aircraft engine manufacturer Lyons, the O-260 was a smooth, quiet flat 6 that still made 125kW, a pretty sizeable figure for the time.

In Letara, the car was available only with a 3 speed auto, which was marketed as “The next step in comfort”, and there was as much effort as possible put into distancing it from the boring old P&A’s of the time. Letara would also prove to be an issue, however, as the engine was tuned to run on 98RON leaded fuel, and the Letaran government had announced plans to ban leaded fuel before the car launched. While it was eventually made to work on 95 unleaded, Lyons had caused much strife over the de-tuning, which in turn irreparably damaged the alliance between the two companies

Race Spec lore

The Race Spec Mk.III Sportsman was an interesting story. Originally developed for racing in Araga, bureaucratic issues meant it went unused, and thus was a perfect candidate for the Letaran race team, which was strapped for cash and short on time after their disastrous '59-'63 run. Although it wasn’t perfectly suited for the R2 category it was entering, the team calculated that the tank was more than big enough to last a race, and the modified O-260 was more than reliable enough to (hopefully) last a race.

The car itself was largely modified from stock, with an uprated O-260 making 136kW, removed rear seats among other weight savings, and numerous suspension and aerodynamic upgrades. The Letaran team then essentially swapped parts out to make it a full Letaran spec car, to comply with the R2 touring rules.

The 1967 cars, the Planar Danazines

Clockwise from left, the Planar Danazine F6H, F6S, and F6L limousine
P&A rebrands! (company lore)

At the 1965 Sydney motor show, P&A’s CEO made a shock announcement. The rumours about P&A and Lyons splitting up were true, and not only that, but the company would be imminently rebranding to Planar!

Naturally this came as a shock to quite a few people, but the company promised that its existing cars and engines would still be supported, and that updates to their cars to bring them in line with the new branding were coming very soon. Sure enough, at the next year’s show, the company showed off its “first” car, the Danazine! Production issues would see it delayed to 1967, but the familiar shape and assurances of being basically a Mk.IV Sportsman would calm people’s fears.

Danazine lore

The Danazine was released with much fanfare from Planar, as it was supposedly a show of the new company direction. What it largely was, however, was a Mk.III Sportsman with a new engine and minor styling updates (even chassis codes carried over, the Mk.III was SM30 and the Danazine was SM31). The main changes looks-wise were standard two-tone across the range, a flattened bonnet with “lidded” headlights, mirrors placed in a somewhat more normal position above the wheel arch, and an extra cooling vent under the grille for the new engine.

The engine was a real marvel, developed with Rotomax from the ashes of the O-260 project, the PLRFX-260 was essentially the same motor, slightly downsized and now with DOHC, which on the comfort oriented H model made 126kW through a 3 speed auto, and on the sportier S model made 133kW through a new 5 speed manual.

How well the new Danazine would do was anyone’s guess, but the company itself was banking hard on it getting their new name out there and known.

Government limo lore

The Letaran government was searching for a diplomatic limousine at the start of the 70’s and Planar had the answer. The long wheelbase Danazine F6L was never sold officially in Letara, but was on offer for any government that wanted it in a “Diplomatic Package”.

All that really entailed was an F6L with flag holders on the front and whatever other modifications the government wanted, but Planar still made a car to send to Letara to participate in the contract.

OOC: Apologies for the sparse and kinda not great pictures, my laptop can’t really handle Automation very well. I’ll be home for the next round so you can enjoy more photos of dubious quality then!!

15 Likes

48 hour deadline reminder!

Entries due 9:59 AM EST Jan 14.

Also reminder for returning people to please use our existing DM thread to submit your entries. It keeps my inbox neat and tidy.

7 Likes
MARTINET CASTOR III

Martinet Automobil is proud to present to the Letaran market, the new Martinet Castor III

Our Castor III is a all new car made for the new decade. With the innovative ans practical hatchback body and the new transversed mounted engine
and front wheel drive, the Castor II is an easy and economical companion on the Letaran roads.

Gallery

12 Likes

Letara Raceway, 1964

The words were like a thunder:
“FREEEEEHSEEEEEEEEE!”
Mr. Friedrich Huppenbauer, the Hetvesian president stood there with a red face.
“YOU SPENT… WHAT??? ON YOUR LITTLE RACING ADVENTURE? You did not answer me - twice! So I am here now. And I am angry!”
A man in his 40s, wearing a PRIMUS racing suit, stood up from his chair.
“Propably a lot, and it was well worth it.”
“Signore Banaschi… what a pleasure to see you here, but…”
“Yes, Friedrich, the reason why we spent three times the budget is that we actually do enter R1 as well… with a car that is fast enough to awake the interest of the legendary Bruno Banaschi.”

Friedrich Huppenbauer almost lost his monocle when he heard that it was no bluff by Ludger Frehse.
“I thought you drive for Swanson, Signore Banaschi. How…”
“Yes, and Swanson is a good and valued brand. But when I got a call from Mr. Frehse, that he offers me a competetive car for R1, my descision was made. This car is not beautiful, however.”
A little annoyed, Frehse took over: “We had so little time to do this… we spent like 90 percent on engineering and 10 on the design, and for that, it’s not bad!”

“Well, Ludger, you surprise me this time. How dare you to spend so many money, surely with a good cause, but without asking me? I thought I am like a father to you!”
“Yes, like a strict father with a huge WWII trauma. I am 33 now, Friedrich, it’s time to go my own way. If I fail, I resign, if I win, you WILL take me serious, finally. Letara is MY chance and MY project and I will take it no matter what. Bruno, give Mr. Huppenbauer a demonstration, please!”

7 Likes

The Aero Free

WE HAVE REACHED

P E A K

S M A L L N E S S

About Aero in 1964
By the start of the 60's, Aero found the demand for their microcars had all but dried up in most countries. While the kei cars remained popular in Japan- largely because of their support in tax law -most other countries simply no longer cared for the microcar, even those that were hard hit. So Aero found itself gradually pulling out of most international markets.

But they didn’t pull out of Letara, even though that country had consistently been among the least receptive to their little lineup. Why? Because they had a factory there! In spite poor sales in the country, the economic benefits of the factory still made it feasible to make cars there, even if most would end up shipped right back to Japan. And since some cars were being made in Letara anyway, it cost Aero relatively little to just leave a few here for domestic sale. Plus, their new entry-level cyclecar now had some pretty strong advantages in cost and reliability, which they hoped may finally win over some of the country’s buyers.

Spending and lobbying, meanwhile, had gone well this round. Aero had been interested in Letara’s Aluminum industry, as they’d been hoping to bring down the cost of the metal by expanding its infrastructure; Their efforts had made long term progress in this regard, though at present the metal still wasn’t cheap enough for widespread use in their budget cars.

Aero was also quite happy with the improvement in the safety law. The new law did still use the illogical crash-safety system that Aero disapproved of, but at least the required figures were more reasonable, and the system placed increased emphasis on actual safety features.

But beyond this, Aero was more than happy with the rest of how lobbying turned out. They celebrated that leaded fuels were finally banned and radial tires finally allowed, that they had successfully prevented the double-headlight mandate, and the government had chosen the more compact US/Japan pate size (which Aero was already used to using). Their only other real complaint with the new laws was that the “speed limiter” tax break did not extend to vehicles that were too slow to need a limiter (or in Aero’s case, too slow to be able to equip one at all), but truth is the tax was too small to be missed anyway.

There was also the matter of Aero no longer being able to participate in Letara’s racing. Of the two classes that had been just instituted, one required a time below 5:00, and the other required 2 rows of seats- neither of which Aero could accomplish with a Microcar. Though racing was not a big part of Aero’s business, it was still a huge disappointment to the company.

About the Free

Aero’s philosophy, when deigning the Free, was that mobility is something that should be freely accessible to everyone. To that end, the Free takes the design goals of the Zipp- being cute, reliable, and cheap -and improves upon them to the extreme.

Let’s run some numbers: The entry level Free costs only $7,640 upfront (taxes included), and less than $250 in service costs, while using 2.9 l/km of fuel (Over 80mpg)! Named the “3L” after the latter figure, this car is one of the cheapest production vehicles not just of today, but of Letara’s (and the world’s) entire automotive history! Savings which are further extended by the cyclecar’s stellar reliability and quality rustproofing.

But the commitment to accessibility goes beyond just being cheap. Aero designed the Free with the intention that it could double as both a city car and a mobility scooter; that it could allow a handicapped person to drive to and into a building or pedestrian area, without having to switch to unwieldy mobility aids like wheelchairs or canes. To that end, the higher-level “Access” trim offered an automatic transmission, making the car easier to operate (at low speeds especially), as well as a lighter steering setup and improved interior cushioning.

In 1971, the Free received a major facelift. Most notable was the new design; in contrast to the more function-over-form designs of yesteryear, Aero’s new design philosophy further emphasizes the creation of “cute and huggable” designs with more streamlined and visually-pleasing shapes.

Its mechanical changes should not be discounted either, though. The 1971 facelift also introduces one of the first catalytic converters to Aero’s 360cc engine, as well as the ability to run ethanol fuel. Designed to better accommodate indoor use, these combined changes drastically cut down the already-clean Free’s emissions, setting a new standard for what we consider “environmentally friendly.” The cyclecar was also made even quieter, and offered with an optional radio for the first time.

23 Likes

Now that’s cute! :smiley:

3 Likes

the facelifted model is one happy lil lad

2 Likes

THE WOLFE DYNASTY

History of Wolfe Motors, The Long Awaited Chapter II

Lore alert! Beware.

December 2022 - The great white north

Mother - “Dad!! What did you do again??”

Grandad - “What what!? Nothing dear, I…”

Mother - “He’s having nightmares about wolves again!! You gotta have to stop telling and retelling those old stories to him.”

Grandad - “But it’s his legacy!! The Wolfe will never die! You shall not pass! Harry! You know nothing dear.”

Mother, looking at her husband - “I swear sometimes I forget he’s not all himself”

Husband - “It’s ok honey, I know how he can get on your nerve. Maybe a story time could calm him down, I could entertain him while you work?”

Mother - “God I love you so much, thanks love. I’m gonna go work that bath now.”

Husband - taking Grandpa to the sofa, “So, I heard that Wolfe had some rocky years back in the 50s…”

Grandad - “Oh son you have no idea, where do I start?”

(narrator) “I am sorry, here we go again…”

(20 minutes later)

Grandad - “The fact that Wolfe did well with huge luxurious vehicles in Letara in the late 40 and early 50s was a big surprise for everyone.”

FLASHBACK

(narrator) The year was 1953. Lewis Wolfe was looking over the sales report for Letara, a framed picture of the Wolfe 200/200 at his side.

The report was very surprising. For the market size, the top end Wolfe sure did sell well! The Deluxe Eight was a prized possession and the styling seemed to have sealed the deal for the wealthy elite of Letara. It was outrageous, not as much as the Montezuma, but enough to actually sell instead of only selling posters like the Wraith.

The pickup also did somewhat well, but his analysts noted that the market was very weak and sold because nothing else good was there - it was pricy and unpractical and not a dedicated utility vehicle. Rumors were that the market would be flooded with dedicated trucks, so the experiment had to end.

The big heartbreak was racing… after making a big show, Wolfe came up empty because the cars did not met regulation. They found out on site. For some reason, they never made it work for years, always forgetting the same thing. Safe to say that the team responsible was sacked!

The fastback did pretty well in the premium market as well, it offered speed and comfort at a good price, this is a market to double down on!!!

FASTFORWARD TO 1958

Lewis Wolfe cursing dramatically at his office window and throwing Letaran reports in the bin - “Damn you economy!!!”

BACK TO 1953

They also did pretty well on the govt contract, but even their full team of lawyers were not able to wiggle out of some lower scores in some areas, but Wolfe was close on the Wagon.

Lewis Wolfe - “Well Noel, this is good news. I want you to personally oversee the Letaran market, I think we can expand significantly in there.”

Noel Wolfe - “Sure dad, I know we have a concept car being designed right now that would be perfect to launch in Letara - the rich and famous are always looking for that unique car.”

Lewis Wolfe - “You are talking about the ChooChooBaca something right? Yeah, the idea could be feasible, if I look at this, this could be a big gamble but could reap huge benefits. Let’s go!”

END OF FLASHBACK

Grandad - “Now you see, Noel was Lewis Son, back in 1935 they…”

(narrator) Sorry we are gonna skip this as we already heard it before, and so did the husband, but he was a gentleman and it did not bother him at all…

Husband, muttering to himself - “Go to my happy place, happy place…”

*(skipping 35 minutes)

Grandad - “So that is why you always leave a note! Now, Noel was really skilled, and they were working on some innovative concept car, the Chupacabra…”

FLASHBACK TO 1959

Everyone back at the Wolfe HQ was nervous, but Noel was calm and was overseas in Letara for the launch of the Chupacabra. It was the first market they would be launching in.

Surprise! It did very very well. They secretly wanted to upstage the Wraith Montezuma, but also sell the car, and they did achieve both! It ended up being the most prestigious car of the era.

Despite the massive recession, the sales figure were there. It was a success!

The Cerberus convertible also did very very well, before the economy fully collapsed. It was a good overall premium offering, the economy afterward raised big alarms at Wolfe - the premium market was hurting, the middle class was inexistent for years.

While the RFP division earlier did ok on their Letaran bid, the next big event was the grand opening of the Lerance Raceway!!

Financed in part by Wolfe, with coordination wit Vizzuri and other companies, it was the realization of a dream for Wolfe. Yes they did run in Nascar and such, but the long fast track and huge straight was the perfect testing ground!

To get back in the game after the 200/200 failure, the Wolfe Racing 460 was fast, very fast, it clocked the second fastest lap for many years, but it never did succeed. Plagued with a difficult to drive car, always oversteering in the corners, you needed to have a perfect lap everytime, which was impossible. The fact the car also accumulated a few DNF did not help - reliability was much more important than expected.

Still, two 3rd place podium finish was nothing to sneeze at, but after major racing investment, it was still a disappointment for Wolfe.

And the sporting division was not going well, with the Cerberus V8 totally flopping on the market.

If Wolfe wanted to be associated with motorsport and performance, it would need to do more.

A lot more.

END OF FLASHBACK

Grandad - “So now Noel and Lewis, fired many division. They hire some renowned European designer, and completely turned around and doubled-down on R&D and motorsport. It was the Great Shakeup as it was known afterward. They left the premium market due to the economy, focus only on luxury and racing. They went classy instead of unique. No one really knew if that would work, or not…”

Husband, waiting a long time for the old Wolfe to continue - “And what happened then?”

Grandad snored. He fell asleep after his 3 hours story. The husband placed a blanket gently and turned off the lights.

Grandad - “G’night”.

(narrator) ZZZzzzzzzz

THE END

Letara 1964 - Wolfe Racing Razor GT Prototype

After a somewhat disappointing few seasons at the Lerance Raceway, it was time for Wolfe to shake things up!

Lucky for Wolfe, they were able to get helped from famed designer Nuccista Bertarina, who left his association with Vizzuri in the early 60s. With him, and the help of a new team of aero engineers, Wolfe came up with the Razor GT Prototype - a blaring fast car, reach 300km/h. It is rumored to lap the Lerance Raceway around 4:45, but no one really believes that a car with only a 3.8L and under 360hp could every achieve that.

The fact is fast and isn’t a brick is not the only first for Wolfe - this is the first rear-engined vehicle Wolfe has done. Hopefully the very slick prototype is not only for show, and will actually be competitive. Big daddy Lewis Wolfe is hoping it will bring at least a first place finish this time.

Letara 1965 - Wolfe E320 2+2 Roadster

With the impressive success of the Cerberus convertible on the Letaran market, it was only logical that Wolfe would come back with another offering.

With the help of M. Bertarina, the look for this generation of Wolfe cars is a bit more conventional, but much classier, with a hint of european flair, thanks to the famed designer.

But the design is not the only major changes for Wolfe. While the new E-platform is still built on a ladder frame due to Wolfe upbringing in coachwork, they hired so many engineers that they redid every major subsystems.

Gone are the rear live axles, replaced with independent rear suspension. Gone is the long bodywork, it has now moved to a slightly smaller, more compact wheelbase. Goodbye old bias-ply tries, say hello to
the brand new radial revolution. Oh, and some models have power steering now, and improved suspension components. It is still all north american steel baby!

The luxury-premium model, the E3 series, is offered in a 2+2 Roadster with a tame engine and an automatic top. Yes, while Wolfe is out of the premium market in Letara, it plans to take on fully and squarely the luxury market. No cheap cars here, no siree!

Oh, we did not talk about the engine yet, right? Ohh, this is gonna be good. It is also brand new. One thing Wolfe learned with their past racing experience is that overhead cam and that new fangled mechanical injection are pretty damn cool and can allow smaller engine to output similar numbers. What? Who knew there was a replacement to displacement!? So what did Wolfe do? Build a 280ci all aluminum OHC engine with mechanical fuel injection. This version here outputs a mere 200hp, but it does it in style!

A 3-speed automatic transmission completes the package, as do all around solid disks. How, and we have 2 jump seats in the back for your dog!

Wolfe went from being late to the party to being at the forefront of R&D, thanks to its heavy investment in its racing division!

Letara 1968 - Wolfe E420 GT

Well well well. The old performance version the Cerberus was not well received in Letara, or anywhere for that matter. Costly and really uncomfortable, it could barely turn but at least had a big engine.

Now Wolfe is back with another 2-seater sedan coupe and is hoping to get a slice of the performance market.

Very similar to the E3-series, the E4-series offers the same basic packages but with much more gusto with a 307 all alu OHC engine but tune for 350hp! It is has powerful as the Razor GT Prototype in a lightweight package.

The styling is very striking this time, setting the E420 GT appart with rear window louvers, hood scoop, dark aluminum/plastic finishes instead of chrome, and alloy rims. The '68 models in general also have been facelifted with dual squarish front lights now.

It does have a manual instead of an automatic, and a newfangled clutched LSD with improved power steering. While not a full on sport car, it can turn this time. We promise.

Letara 1970 - Wolfe E540 V12

Christmas has come! It was no secret that the Chupacabra would be replaced with a new high end offering. While the name is gone, the flagship is back!

Now the top trim level, the E5 series is full on luxury. The interior is fully hand made by blind Tibetan monks, it has top line 8-track player, the latest in safety, and… a brand new self-leveling hydropneumatic suspension!

But it does not stops there - Wolfe branded mag rims are installed at the factory, the grill is more imposing, the Wolfe emblem on the hood is back, is now has headlight wipers, a sunroof, and, oh yeah, a big 396ci V12!! Still a pushrod as it is quite big, but smooth as butter (if you like that sort of thing).

While not as funky or a concept as the Chupacabra, the E540 is just the pinnacle of prestige and luxury for Wolfe. Oh yeah, it comes in tons of unique metallic colors like Anthracite, Yellow Brass, Arctic Silver and Golden Brown.

Letara 1970 - Wolfe L440 Govt Special

Hearing that Letara was looking for limos or luxurious sedans was the only thing Wolfe wanted to know - it was right up their alley.

Due to the heavy investment in all its new tech, Wolfe simply took the E540 flagship, stretched the wheelbase to 3.0m and downtuned/downscaled the model to make it affordable, but still keep all the luxury it needs for diplomates, delegates and agents.

With a smaller 242ci V12, this beast is ready to drive the most important VIPs in style!

Wolfe - be crowned a king.

13 Likes

Mara goes Letara, Ep. 3-8: The final touches

Previous post

2nd September 1964, Lerance Raceway, Letara

A few weeks before the start of the first race in the new R1 / R2 classes, the Mara Irena R2 Touring Car had arrived on Letaran shores.

Rodyn Gumprov - who more or less officially had taken on the role as Irena racecar project co-leader together with his comrade Yenna - had also arranged to meet with the Letaran privateer racing driver John Summer. John had - for what ever reason - raced a reworked Mara Tovarysh / Companion prototype (originally Henri Nordhov’s cannonball racecar) in the years prior and even had scored two class victories and a podium.

After some negotiations in the past months, John had agreed to have his team of amateur enthusiasts run the factory supplied Irena in the next era of the Letaran racing series. The Mara factory and local assembly plant would provide some limited logistical support as well. Today was the first time John had the chance to sit in the finished car and take it for a proper spin as part of an open testing day on the reopened Lerance raceway after the increase in corner banking.

The Mara Irena R2 Touring Car on the test day under the on the Letaran raceway bridge

Mara race car testing, part 3: The final touches

While John was getting familiar with the now more than 1.5 times as powerful racecar, Rodyn reminisced about the odd twists and turns the last months had taken since the fateful encounter on their own Archanan proving grounds.

His flash of insight had proven fruitful indeed - he had spent some time with aircraft engineers from Archanan plane manufacturer Aljoscha Aeroplanes to try and reduce the quite substantial drag of the Irena race car. Among other things, he had several iterations of makeshift undertrays manufactured, made sure to tighten the panel gaps on the car body (or taping them shut), removed the metal trim around the windows, worked with Yenna to reduce the engine cooling to the minimum needed and also made minor body shell adjustments that had a surprising impact on drag.

In return, Aljoscha Aeroplanes had requested to add their logo to the car, in the hope of getting name recognition in Letara and potentially selling one of their passenger aircraft models there in the future. The other company name on the car was that of their Fruinian tyre supplier, Tyrelli, who was also active on the Letaran market with their revolutionary Cinquerato line of radial tyres.

After the first few laps, John came back to the pits and exited the car, quite exhilarated. “Massive power”, he stated and sent an appreciative nod to Yenna who had already half-disappeared into the engine bay, checking on various engine parts after the first laps in anger on a proper race track.

“Before I go out again, we need to lengthen the gear ratios. Substantially”, John added.

Rodyn looks at him, surprised. He did not have a chance to re-test the car for top speed after installing the latest iteration of the makeshift undertray cladding manufactured according to the Aljoscha engineers’ specifications, but apparently it had worked wonders. To be on the safe side, Rodyn had brought a number of different gears for the Irena’s differential with him.

He nodded. “Alright. Yenna?”

She disentangled herself from the quite full engine bay and helped push the Irena touring car to into the work area of the pits, together with Rodyn and some of John’s mechanics. Rodyn talked the latter through exchanging the final drive gear in the Irena’s differential. Yenna meanwhile dove into the engine bay again.

After a while, John went out again. To achieve the final top speed of an estimated 280 kph they needed to put in another differential gear - the biggest final drive gear Rodyn had brought. The rest of the day they spent fine-tuning the Irena’s handling and in his last lap, John finally managed to break the 5:19 laptime barrier. Afterwards, they felt ready to subject the car to official scrutineering for the R2 class.

The Mara Irena R2 Touring Car in front of the technical inspection booth

As the race official looked at the car, his glance switched back and forth between a sheet of paper in his hands and the car.

“It looks like there was a mix-up of registration numbers. We apparently assigned #42 twice, and the first one is already registered. Which number do you want instead?”

Rodyn and John exchange a baffled glance. “What’s the easiest to change the #42 into with a marker pen? Four… Seven?”

(OOC: Just noticed the 42 on hippo’s racecar, guess I rather have some impro fun with it than reshooting the photos…)

11 Likes

Mocabey: King of the Hill

(I only have the #42 because I had it last time)
8 Likes
1964 MARTINET VESPAE R2

Martinet takes to the track!

Martinet would like to announce our participation in the R2 class at Lerance Raceway.
Introducing the 1964 Vespae R2 with a 4.2l V6 engine producing 249 hp.

Vespae is latin for wasp, hence the yellow and black styling.

Let me know if number 9 is taken.

1970 MARTINET CORREUR

The latest and greatest model of the car Martinet is most known for, the Correur.

The Correur is known for being one of the most comfortable cars ever made, that is why we proudly present the most luxurious version as a representation vehicle to the Letaran Goverment.

Gallery

13 Likes