[LHC] - Letara History Challenge - Rd 5 [Results being posted]

Practically impossible, but I get why it’s done.

Gasmea, 1982

“Lionel, what did you get there?”
“Its the new Premier, an early prototype, of course, that is why it is so bland and unfinished.”
“I have bad news for you - the Premier is now officially cancelled. A 1984 model will not exist. I am sorry, but the bosses said, it has not been successful and it would also be unneccessary because the new Astrona will feature FWD as well as a larger interior, so… you get the idea.”

Lionel Lomax looked at his colleague in disbelief. “First, they drop the Comet for the Astrona, then they end the Grand Cruiser and now we have to give up the Premier, again for the Astrona?”

“Yep, but hey, this year you´ve got two new models in return, the Intruder and the Phoenix, the latter being a really cool one. Primus even approved that you use some of their advanced technologies for your sports car.”

“So… we are sending it to Letara or not?”
“Well, the company wants to present the…”
“Dont say it… Astrona?”, interrupted Lomax.
“Yep. Primus Frunia and Primus Letara are already working together since 1979… and I am here to give you a letter from the CEO himself as well. Globus should develop a “minivan”, whatever that is. He says, Globus really has the ability to build good budget cars, and such a family hauler would fit great. This might be the compensation for the cancellation of the Premier.”

“Whatever”, shrugged Lomax. “I have two years left until retirement, I do not care anymore about these stupid descisions, however, until my last day, I will make sure that they get that thing they want…”

7 Likes

Mara Goes Letara, Ep. 5-1: Something to look back at and forward to

Previous post (previous era)

TL;DR post (previous era)

8th January 1979
Boardroom, Mara main factory grounds, just outside the town of Mara, Archana

Again, Rodyn Gumprov’s year began with the annual meeting of Mara’s Comrade Directors to discuss any deviations from their current five year plan. As Comrade Director of Engineering, his past years had been pretty busy since Mara under Comrade Executive Director Fedor Piechov had begun a series of new developments as well as a big Irena facelift.

It all began in the early 1970s with the large Kavaler, a pet project of Fedor’s. It’s success had swayed Archanan officials to give Mara some leeway in new car developments, provided they could make a case that the outcomes would benefit the Archanan workers and farmers. This year, the development of it a new compact off-roader family - among the first name suggestions were Kanyon or Reyndzher - would come to a conclusion, and he wondered whether Fedor would already hint at their next new project.

“Good morning, comrades.” Fedor opened the session in his usual no-nonsense style. “You all have the agenda in front of you - first order of business: sales reviews, starting with foreign markets. First, Letara.”

Sales (and racing) reviews.

Fedor looked to the Comrade Director of Letaran Operations, Inna Horyova.

“Overall, the Irena hatchback was well-received. The Letaran people were much more open to the innovative body style than back here. One peculiar thing though, we had a fair bit of buyers getting the Irena apparently as a second car.”

Bewildered glances around the table.

“Oh, and another thing”, Inna added. “With the revised official size classes, the Irena now falls under the city car classification in Letara.”

“City car? The Irena?” Fedor had his voice raised slightly - which for everyone who knew him meant that he was incredulous. “It looks I need to take another trip there to see for myself what other massive cars have became the norm.” He looked into the round. “Imagine, the Kavaler would be considered regular size, and the Irena fit for a secondary car. Excess!”

Inna continued. “The sportier Irena SSE RTH with two less doors was somewhat less well received, on the other hand, despite our semi works racing team finishing very well, and the SSE looking very much like the racecar. The team came home 5th two years ago, and even scored a surprise victory last year.”

The whole round applauded by knocking on the table, even Fedor nodded appreciatingly. “277 kW against - what did the top cars have?”

“Rumours say over 750 horsepower for the Wolfe and over 900 even for the Benetsch… who came first and second two years ago.” Inna then remembered a particular dislike of Fedor’s. “… what’s that in kilowatt?” she added hastily.

“Over 550 and 660.” Fedor gave the answer himself almost instantly, nodded appreciatingly again, and asked: “You adapt the SSE cars yourselves over there?” Inna nodded.

“Well, then no harm done.” Inna could almost visually see Fedor make a mental note about sportier variants in his mind. Not that he ever needed written notes anyway.

“And we are going to drop the RTH part, people do not seem to consider radial tyres to be special anymore.” Inna made a short pause. “In contrast, the pickup was also quite well received by the Letaran farmers, and also over the competition. It’s not the biggest market, however. And there are indications that Niichi will introduce a pretty promising competitor next year.”

“Very well”, Fedor muttered. “Let’s hope they appreciate the Interceptor version of the Kavaler that we submitted for consideration…”

As the reporting moved on to their Fruinian sales, Rodyn noticed an acronym he was not familiar with in as one of the later items in the agenda: GT79 participation. He wondered what that might be about…

4 Likes

Hey peeps!

I just wanted to give a life sign. As you can tell, life got a little busy lately so the reviews have slowed down. My aim is to get this round finished in the next two weeks or so. But the time I can devote to LHC will remain diminished for a while, so some change needs to happen going forward. After this round is done, I’ll put up a poll to gauge how you all feel about going forward. Don’t worry, one way or another LHC will be finished. I’ll only be asking about the “how” :slight_smile:

Some options will include:

• Keep going as-is, but with the understanding that reviews will be slow (maybe one or two chapters a week). Consequence: each round will be significantly longer as slowly go through the results.
  • Take a break until I can devote more time to the series again. Consequence: there will be a real hiatus until I feel like I can devote a lot of time to this again, but then it’ll be back to more regular releases.
  • Reduce the number of consumer entries to reduce the work load each round. Consequence: I can probably keep going with mostly regular results, but the Letaran car market will obviously shrink (could be good, could be bad for some).
  • Switch to shorter, point-form reviews. Consequence: I can probably keep going with mostly regular results, but you’ll get much less of a story and in-depth review (could be less satisfying for many).
  • Some other option I haven’t thought of yet…

In any case, give it some thought so you will be ready to vote once I put the poll up. And you can suggest some “other option” to include in the poll as well.

Sincerely yours - Cake

24 Likes

I would definitely prefer shorter point form reviews, at least for my own cars

2 Likes

In my opinion the best option is for you to take a break for a couple reasons:

1. I think less people will find something to be disappointed about as neither the waiting time will be triggering people’s impatience nor will the quality suffer (heck, maybe you’ll be able to write even better reviews after a good break :Р)
  2. Depending on how long that break will take, LHC might end up being taken into 4.3, which will add a lot of new options to play with, especially considering getting into modern cars as well as a lot of racing stuff
8 Likes

Maybe you you could just add new judges to the judging table

5 Likes

Even a single challenge with <10 entries can be quite a task, so huge respect for keeping up with the hundreds of entries and putting it all well together.

Perhaps the Government Category could be judged by the winner of last round, like with LAC? It is after all similar to other challenges, with a clear ranking order. Racing Category has that as well, but the technical side with spreadsheet/programming/balancing may not be the easiest to pass around.

IMO the 3-entry consumer category is one of many elements that make LHC a unique challenge, with every class having a diverse and lively lineup. And even if one (or two) trims fail spectacularly, it seems everyone gets a small W from time to time. I assume this is the most time-consuming class to judge, but is best done by the Creator.

Edit: I’m not saying you need to or should delegate anything, just an idea

10 Likes

Agreeing with Ludvig, the consumer category has been what’s kept this challenge really unique and interesting, and kudos to you for keeping them up; I’m impressed they’ve been coming out as quickly as they are. My vote is that I’d be down to wait, either for slower reviews or a hiatus, if it means keeping up the quality. (Though the best option is of course best decided by you based on your circumstances, and I support whatever you think you’d need).

Also, I second the idea of separating out the government round into a tag-along challenge, like LAC. If we sync the timing correctly, it could serve as something to do while waiting for main-LHC reviews, especially if we go for the slow-reviews option.

8 Likes

Spinning off the government class into its own challenge (as a side quest of sorts to the main LHC) would make perfect sense, but what about doing the same for the racing component? After all, the cars submitted there aren’t always road legal.

2 Likes

Looking forward to what will be decided on this matter…i have no particular preference except for keeping quality we all gotten used to

Ok that may be inaccurate tad bit, as i genuinely enjoy immersion into world current format gives us.
I prefer everything led by Cake as he was one that made country in first place, but i see reasoning behind suggestions and it is good reasoning.

4 Likes

bump

Vausse introduce thier new Entourage coach. In a similar vein to the Popas D-1000, I felt that adding a little bit of lore into the ring, as well as some content for this challenge, would be a nice thing to do not only for me, but for the community

The coach is powered by a twin turbo I6 which can get the thing comfortably to highway speeds. Its not only powerful, but also economic and affordable to other companies, though it was built in cooperation with the tour brand, “Letoura”. This coach is specifically going to be used for bringing in Inbound and taking out outbound tourists, having a, frankly, massive fuel tank.

5 Likes

Rd. 4 RESULTS

Chapter 11: Consumer car segment 1975-1984 - Family premium and luxury

Left to right: Nebula Starlight 3300 @Endfinity, TIV Asna Turbo @Maverick74, Nebula Andromeda 2200, Liberty Delphia @FidleDo, Anhultz Dione IV automaat @Elizipeazie, Benetsch Lerance 3400 @Texaslav, Liberty Bell, General Auto A500 @ldub0775, Mocabey Senator @SheikhMansour, Vizzuri Laonda Special GT @Aruna, Benetsch Buhrie Fierst, Planar SM42 Danazine S @lotto77, Planar SM40 Danazine F6, Planar SM42 Danazine EX-S, General Auto A1000

And because I missed it for the group photo: Mitsushita Kuruan 3000 Lusso-G @conan

Moving up-segment, we take a look at the family premium and luxury market. These cars should offer everything the cheaper options do: reliable transport for the whole family. But these cars should offer something extra too, especially in the comfort department, but prestige and performance are very much valued too, especially as we climb the cost ladder. Let’s see how this decade’s cars did.

The first car on the market was the 1975 Mocabey Senator. At three times the price of a Globus Premier 310 - the only other new family car on the market - it’s easy to see that customers wanted something special from this luxury vehicle. The car certainly had a more imposing look and was quite large too, resulting in quite a lot of weight - despite the car’s aluminium panels. True to a luxury car, it had four luxury seats and a luxury 8-track in the dash, making it one of the most comfortable cars not only at this time, but of the entire decade. It also had a relatively powerful V12 engine, which significantly raised its prestige value. Fuel economy and upkeep were quite abysmal, and reliability was noted as an issue - but at this price point, it didn’t seem to matter all that much. As a heavy car, it wasn’t the easiest to handle, but performance was decent thanks to the powerful engine. So given the lack of competition, it was the go-to car for the richer echelons early on in its life cycle.

The 1977 Benetsch Lerance 3400 entered the market with a promise of excitement and performance, given the brand’s reputation from the Lerance Raceway. This large hatchback was considerably cheaper than the Mocabey and straddled the ‘premium’ and ‘luxury’ price bracket. Despite this, it featured luxury seating for six, which was also very practical for growing families in the upper middle class, and a luxury 8-track.

The Government of Letara would, at this point, like to apologize for the delay in releasing these sales reports to our highly valued automotive companies. Our international communications lines were temporarily impacted by a minor construction incident. As all involved parties followed the mandated government reporting and repair requisition processes, it was several weeks before communications were restored, at which point the Communications Officer was found drunk under a desk. The recruiting process to find a suitable and competent replacement has now been completed and regular reports will resume. We thank you for your patience and continued contributions to the Letaran economy.

Continuing on with the Benetsch Lerance, with its name evocative of the Lerance Speedway, we would expect this vehicle to offer a blazing fast top speed; however, what we get is a moderately capable engine sanely limited to 160 km/hr. We are in favour of this effort to maintain safety on Letara’s roads; however, the public was gravely disappointed. This did not impede sales, as comfort was above average, and despite having a rear engine, it was quite easy to drive. It had signature Benetsch good looks to round out the package, and, as such, sales were consistently strong in the upper middle class segment.

Four new cars were introduced in 1978. The Liberty Delphia was a very cool-looking car with a very cool turbo, the first of the era in this segment. Priced in the middle of the premium bracket, and cheaper than the Benetsch Lerance, it had five luxury seats and a luxury 8-track. For its price, it was an exquisitely comfortable car, thanks to engineering features that included an advanced automatic gearbox, hydropneumatic springs, and headlight wipers. However, because of these advanced features, reliability suffered and many customers found themselves spending more in the garage than they saved on the initial purchase price, especially on the cool-looking but atrociously performing headlight wipers. Like the Benetsch Lerance, this car was also limited to 160 km/hr, but it wasn’t as much of a hindrance due to its inherently weaker engine.

A direct rival to the Liberty, the Anhultz Dione IV automaat was more slightly more expensive to purchase but orders of magnitude cheaper to maintain. In fact, it was the cheapest car to maintain in the entire premium and luxury family car category. This large, five-seater hatchback had premium seats and a premium 8-track, and to keep costs down further, it had a regular automatic gearbox and solid disc brakes all around. These small sacrifices to luxury translated to massive increases in reliability, as it was far and away the most reliable car in the segment in the entire era. In fact, out of 116 total vehicles offered in Letara during the decade, it was the fourth most reliable overall, boasting stats that were normally only achieved in more utilitarian vehicles. Unfortunately, the trade-off was poor comfort and a lack of prestige. Due to the different strengths of the Anhultz vs. the Liberty, these two cars both enjoyed strong sales, but split the middle class market evenly between those who wanted more luxury and those who wanted more reliability.

Next up, the Liberty Bell was priced as a competitor to the Benetsch Lerance but had upkeep costs as high as those for the Liberty Delphia. We feel that says it all in terms of initial consumer reaction. Countering these costs was the prestige of being the first true luxury car on the market: it had a handmade interior featuring four seats and a luxury 8-track. At this price point, the plain steel rims were a slight disappointment, detracting from the prestige of the rest of the car. It also had all the engineering bells and whistles as its cheaper sibling. It was a superbly comfortable car with good safety and high driveability, which made it the most desirable car of the decade to sit in. Unfortunately, it offered only abysmal reliability, but this wasn’t an issue for the old, rich people who were buying this car to make sure everybody looked at them and saw them as old, rich people. The speed limiter of 160 km/hr was actually a feature for this car, as the old, rich people driving the Liberty Bell never even got close to that speed anyway. During the early years of the decade, this car cornered the market for sales to old, rich people.

The last car introduced in 1978 was the Planar SM40 Danazine F6. It was, thus far in the decade, the far most expensive car, in the upper echelons of the luxury bracket. It cost $20000 more to buy than the Mocabey. It featured a handmade interior with five seats and a luxury 8-track. Adding to its comfort was the hydropneumatic suspension, but the regular automatic gearbox was a letdown to some who expected an advanced version. Everything else, aside from middling driveability, matched expectations of the price point: good comfort, good safety, good reliability, and decent prestige hampered only slightly by looks that didn’t quite reflect the car’s luxury status. It should be noted that the government and market both considered the innovative open C-pillar behind the rear window to be a nice touch. Sales were disappointing, as compared to the much cheaper Mocabey, it was slower, less comfortable, and less prestigious, making it not worth the hefty price premium for most luxury consumers, aside from the few who just wanted to brag about how much they could afford.

The new decade of 1980 brought four new cars that year. First was the Mitsushita Kuruan 3000 Lusso-G, which slotted in near the top of the premium bracket between the Anhultz and the Benetsch Lerance. This car had a luxury interior with five seats and a segment-first luxury cassette, which made waves in the market along with the Vizzuri and Benetsch Buhrie as people immediately flocked toward the promise of worse audio quality in a smaller package. Compared to its most direct competitors, it had a more powerful engine and, without a limiter, it reached a respectable top speed of 230 km/hr. At this point the government would like to remind everyone to follow all speed limits and other traffic laws of Letara. The Mitsushita’s acceleration was also excellent, in part aided by the novel geared LSD that helped to translate power to the tarmac. The car had good comfort, decent safety, and excellent driveability, but reliability was on the lower end. Overall, it came in as a very strong competitor in this market segment and stole sales from the Liberties, Anhultz, and Benetsch Lerance, especially among those who wanted more of a driving experience.

The government acknowledges that the remaining 1980 cars may have been more appropriately classified in the family sport segment rather than the family segment. We refer you back to the previous Communications Officer being found drunk under a desk at the time these vehicles were classified, and remind you again of the, ahem, blurry lines between segments.

One of these cars, the General Auto A500 added a sporty touch to the luxury family segment, complete with functional aerodynamics and precision handling. This aggressive-looking car had four premium seats and a luxury 8-track. Its sporty nature was accentuated by its manual 5-speed gearbox, geared LSD, fully clad undertray, and large 17-inch front and rear rims. With a top speed of 262 km/hr a 0-100 time of 5.5 seconds, it was one of the fastest family cars of the decade. All this speed came at a cost: comfort was poor and it wasn’t all that easy to drive. But surprisingly, it was fairly safe and quite reliable. In the family segment, compared to its nearest rivals, it offered only speed but could not compete on other statistics. It was, however, strongly cross-shopped in the family sport segment and therefore stole some sales from cars in that segment.

Next is the Vizzuri Laonda Special GT. Another looker similar to the General Auto, it was more sleek and less aggressive. It was also easily cross-shopped with the family sports category but sat higher up in the luxury bracket. Backed by its success and pedigree at the Lerance Speedway, it showed its sporty nature with a powerful 352 HP engine, a top speed just shy of 300 km/hr, and a 0-100 time of 5.3 seconds. In contrast to the General Auto, and reflecting its higher price, it had four luxury seats and a luxury cassette player. It was quite a comfortable and safe car; however, reliability and driveability were just average. It saw good sales and would have seen excellent ones if not for its Benetsch competitors in the family and family sport categories, including…

The Benetsch Buhrie Fierst was a large hatchback with four handmade seats and a luxury cassette player. Priced just slightly higher than its nearest rival, the Vizzuri, it was cheaper to maintain. It wasn’t quite as fast, but still had a very respectable top speed of nearly 250 km/hr; unhampered by a limiter, it showed some of its racing pedigree. Astonishingly, it was the most comfortable car of any in Letara for the entire decade, and was quite prestigious, had very good driveability, and reliability was not bad, either. For the price, luxury buyers could not find a better car than this, unless they wanted even more eye-searing speed. It was a huge success; in fact, the hugest success, in the family luxury segment.

For 1981, we are totally shifting gears as the TIV Asna Turbo was released as a replacement to the first of its kind TIV Asna All Terrain. This minibus continued to defy classification and was, perplexingly, lumped into the family premium category for its steadfast refusal to be put in a box, despite its boxy appearance. This bus-van had eight full-size premium seats but, perhaps disappointingly for the time, a slightly outdated standard 8-track. On the engineering side, it switched its more rigid 4x4 drivetrain to a more modern and flexible AWD system. Other changes included switching from an offroad undertray to a semi-clad one and from AT tires to medium compound. So this version was less offroad-worthy but could easily manage all of Letara’s continually improving roads, thanks to the tireless efforts of the Letaran government to provide for all its citizens. Forgivable and even expected for a bus-van, it was slow and relatively uncomfortable, but it was surprisingly easy to drive and could be spotted in droves at soccer fields, as it was the most practical car for large families that had half a soccer team worth of children.

In 1982, two Planar cars were released, the Planar SM42 Danazine S and the Planar SM42 Danazine EX-S. These cars straddled the Danazine F6 in price and came in much higher than the Benetsch Buhrie Fierst. The Danazine S was a replacement for the F6, with an upgraded luxury cassette player and an ever-so-slightly higher power output from the engine. Generally speaking, the statistics are slightly better for this car than its predecessor, and, as such, it suffered from the same value proposition issue. The Danazine EX-S aimed to be the sportier variant but cost $7500 more to buy and $12000 more to maintain than even the Danazine S, without offering the same level of performance and prestige as the sports cars, although prestige was above average in the family car segment. With a top speed of 280 km/hr, a 0-100 of 5.9 seconds, and nearly 300 HP from its V12 engine, it was certainly fast for a family car, but could not compete in the same price bracket with the family sports cars. With a manual gearbox and too many seats for the space, it was supremely uncomfortable, and its other statistics also lagged behind the competition. So although sales were generally poor, the car found a small niche among buyers who appreciated its looks, including the hood scoops, rear spoiler, and red-accented colour scheme.

Three cars were introduced in 1984, the last year of the era. The cheapest of them, in fact bridging the gap between the standard and premium price brackets, was the Nebula Starlight 3300. This was a no-nonsense, solid family car, thanks in part to its slightly cheaper ladder frame and coil-sprung solid axle rear. It had five premium seats and a premium cassette player, as expected in this price bracket. Further cost-cutting measures included rear drum brakes and an older carbureted engine. In comparison to the Wraith Torrevieja, which also existed in the nebulous space between the standard and premium price brackets, its main strengths were safety and reliability, which were more than offset by its deficits in driveability, comfort, and its premium interior where the Wraith had full luxury and power steering. So while it did manage snag a few sales from the Wraith, it was not a success.

Next is the Nebula Andromeda 2200. Priced almost identically to its cheaper sibling, it was a fully offroad-oriented vehicle that defies classification. It was a people-mover/oversized wagon/SUV-type family car. It was practical, with five full-size premium seats and two jump seats, and had a premium cassette player. Like its sibling, it was also lacking the power steering that was expected at this price point and hefty weight of the car. It had the weakest engine in the premium bracket and was by far the slowest of any car, but that might be forgiven for its offroad prowess. Engineering-wise, it had a locking differential, offroad undertray, AWD, and AT tires, making it a very capable car in the dirt. However, it had really poor comfort and was hard to drive. On the upside, reliability was superb, and adventurous drivers could be sure they would not be left stuck in the muck. Although it could not compete very well in the family segment, it was heavily cross-shopped with wagons and SUVs, amongst which it did very well.

Last on the scene but not least, the General Auto A1000 rounded out the decade in the luxury family segment. It was, by far, the most expensive family vehicle, eclipsing the Danazine EX-S by $23000 and it was the third-most expensive car in all of Letara. Its appearance lived up to the price, exuding an air of proper luxury with a hint of sportiness. Its speed also did not disappoint, topping out at 323 km/hr with a 0-100 of 4.9 seconds. It was heavily cross-shopped with the family sports segment. With its top speed, it was one of a growing number of cars in Letara that no police car could catch. The government would, once again, like to remind its citizens to obey all speed limits and traffic laws in Letara. This car clearly had an excess of performance from its V12 engine but, in contrast to many family sports cars, it did not neglect comfort or ease of driving. It had four handmade luxury seats and a luxury cassette player. With a geared LSD, AWD, hydropneumatic springs, magnesium rims, and class-exclusive ABS, it delivered performance, safety, and driveability. It was the second most comfortable car in all of Letara, only slightly behind the Benetsch Buhrie Fierst, and near the top in safety as well. This car had no weaknesses and was well worth the premium price for upper class luxury buyers. If you wanted a family car with performance, you couldn’t do any better than the General Auto A1000.

…to be continued…

22 Likes

the :brick: never disappoints.

It will never die!

2 Likes

Welcome back, cake! Glad to see you’re kicking.

Did I seriously call the base Benetsch a “Lerance 3400” instead of a “Buhrie 3400”? Shameful display on my part

3 Likes

Rd. 4 RESULTS

Chapter 12: Consumer car segment 1975-1984 - Family sports

Left to right: Kamaka Destiny 2000 XS-Turbo @LS_Swapped_Rx-7, Liberty Vania @FidleDo
Macht Teuton CS285 Jaeger @GetWrekt01, Wolfe ESX V8 @karhgath, Benetsch Lerance 4600ZRF @Texaslav, Mocabey Triarius @SheikhMansour, Vizzuri Laonda Prestazione Turbo @Aruna

And because I missed it for the group photo: Mitsushita Sesta GT-T @conan

A new segment opened up in this decade with a new type of car: the family sports car. These cars are capable of transporting the entire family - in other words, have two rows of seats - but only have two doors, and are generally engineered for performance rather than comfort. As such, they are less practical than a family car, but are more practical than a sports car. A unique segment to be sure that tries to incorporate the best of the two worlds, but have to be careful not to miss the mark on either… let’s see how they did.

The pioneer in this segment was the 1975 Mocabey Triarius. It was a rather expensive car - in fact the most expensive personal vehicle on the roads in 1975 - with an exorbitant upkeep cost to boot. Despite its price, it was clearly rushed to the market with a sparse design, and skipping QA as it was shipped without any rearview mirrors! So customers had to fit aftermarket units before driving off the lot, and at this price point, that is just inexcusable. Other than that, this large sedan’s two doors were quite heavy and swung out quite wide, making the car’s inside more accessible, but overall quite cumbersome in daily use. Nevertheless, the car had four luxury seats and a luxury 8-track, which gave it a semblance of comfort, but otherwise the car was fully performance oriented. It had a 5-speed manual gearbox, clutched differential, magnesium rims, sports compound tires (a staple of this segment), and large all-round disc brakes. The suspension of the Mocabey was tuned to a scary edge at high speed, but just enough to scare but not kill. The large V12 put out 524 HP, pushing the car off the line 0-100 in 4.7 seconds, and a top speed engineered (not limited) to be just under 300 km/h. As with most of these cars, drivability was acceptable, but not great. The Mocabey additionally had decent (for the segment) safety, but poor reliability. As a first on the scene, it was seen as a novelty, and certainly had many strengths - but in the end, its weaknesses proved to be too costly, and it never made the splash it was supposed to.

Next on the market was the 1978 Liberty Vania. This car was significantly cheaper than the Mocabey, coming in at the top of the premium category. Similar to its Liberty siblings, the upkeep was disproportionately expensive, however. Opposed to most others in this segment, the Vania opted for five seats in the car, also of a luxury kind. It also had a luxury 8-track player, which was nice to see. Engineering-wise, it was very similar to the Mocabey: clutched differential, 5-speed manual, sports-tire clad magnesium rims. But this car had a 435 HP V8 under the hood, and the car had a top speed of “only” 260 km/h, but a very fast 0-100 of 4.3 seconds - making it the second fastest family car off the line in the decade. With its terminal oversteer issues it was an undrivable car, especially at any appreciable speed. Comfort was low, even for the segment, and reliability was also under the expected average at this price point. So this car was bought by that person who wanted to be fast off the line, and needed to bring four of their friends along to the last ride of their lives, but otherwise sales were not taking off for this Liberty either, and the family sports segment was off to a very slow start.

The 1979 Macht Teuton CS285 Jaeger was slightly more expensive than the Liberty Vania, but less than half in upkeep, so it was economically a much better proposition. This car had four premium seats and a premium 8-track, which was a let-down at this price point. It was generally a much milder-tuned and equipped car than the previous two: it had a geared differential and alloy wheels clad with medium-compound tires. Its engine was an I6 putting out 246 HP, one of the weakest in the segment. The car was also one of the slowest with a top speed of 255 km/h and a 0-100 of 5.5 s. Compared to the Liberty, the Macht was less comfortable, less safe in a crash, and less prestigious. On the other hand, it was much easier to drive and handling was better making crashes less likely, and it was very reliable indeed. Lastly, the QA department at Macht also dropped the ball, shipping these cars with an orange rear marker rather than red, necessitating a swap by prospective buyers. So it seemed that three times was not the charm, as manufacturers still had not hit on the magic formula to make the family sports segment work in Letara, as the Macht also didn’t manage to attract many sales.

The following year two manufacturers tried their luck. The first was the Kamaka Destiny 2000 XS-Turbo. The Kamaka would become the cheapest family sports car of the decade, near the bottom of the premium segment. This four-seater had a standard interior and premium 8-track, clearly showing where costs were cut to meet its price. Other cost-cutting measures were the solid disc brakes in the rear - the only one in the segment, as all other cars had four-corner vented discs. It was also the weakest car with a 207 HP I4 (although nicely turbo charged), and was slowest in the segment with a top speed of 232 km/h and a 0-100 of 5.9 s. Compared to similarly priced family cars (Nebula Andromeda, Anhultz Dione IV, and Mitsushita Kuruan) it was quite a bit faster to be sure, but its lack of comfort (worse than a Mara Irena or Aero Free Access that were much smaller and less than half the price) was quite prohibitive for any family buyer. If all one wanted to do was to go fast and be able to transport more than two people, then even the Globus Stallion seemed like a better option than the Kamaka.

More expensive (but cheaper than the Liberty Vania) the Mitsushita Sesta GT-T also entered the market in 1980 to try its luck in the family sports segment. This was the first coupe body shape in this segment, but offered four luxury seats and a luxury cassette, which was a nice improvement on the previous cars. This car aimed for a more balanced approach, and came with a 313 HP I6 propelling the car to 270 km/h and 0-100 in 5.2 seconds. This car still had a significant comfort deficit to its family segment rivals, but it was not such a large deficit as for the other cars thus far, making the ‘sports’ aspect more appealing. Surprisingly perhaps, but reliability was good too, as was drivability and handling, so for the first time the trade-off between family and family sports was limited to ‘comfort’ and ‘sport’, as it should be. Thus the Mitsushita Sesta GT-T was the first ‘family sports’ car that could be called a break-through, although Letarans were still suspicious of this concept and the word ‘success’ was not quite yet applicable to the overall sales.

Two more cars were introduced in 1981. The cheaper of the two was the Wolfe ESX V8. It was priced at the bottom of the luxury segment and had a reasonable upkeep cost. Perhaps not the most sporty platform with a ladder frame and advanced automatic gearbox, it did have a sports interior with five seats and a luxury cassette player. It had a large 353 HP V8 that gave the car a healthy 282 km/h top speed and 5.5 s 0-100. So while not the outright fastest car, it would not be put to shame on Letaran roads. Aided by its hydropneumatic suspension, it didn’t suffer in the comfort department either like the previous entries in the family sports segment, and seemed to hit just the right balance in all categories. Even its blacked-out looks were properly mean and sporty, yet family friendly at the same time. To make the deal even sweeter, it had a good set-up, and was very drivable yet sporty. This was the car that the family sports segment needed. With a good reputation from the Lerance Raceway it was the first time that family sports cars sold well, and the Wolfe was one of the cars that finally managed to break the ice. Its party was only slightly spoiled by…

… the Benetsch Lerance 4600ZRF. The Benetsch was priced $13k higher than the Wolfe and had a proportional increase in upkeep as well, so it was firmly toward the upper part of the luxury bracket - just a little cheaper than the earlier failed Mocabey Triarius. Of course the Benetsch also brought a healthy dose of racing pedigree to the table, which showed in its turbo-charged 472 HP V8 that propelled the car to a top speed of 317 km/h. Like all other Benetsch models, this one also had the engine in the rear, giving extra grip during acceleration, making it the quickest family car off the line: 0-100 in 4.0 seconds! This four-seater car had a luxury interior and luxury cassette player, and had nearly identical comfort to the Wolfe. Although its divability was lower, its reliability and crash safety were higher. And the black-out Benetsch looks were equally as appreciated as the Wolfe - or any other Benetsch of course. So the Benetsch formed the successful ‘black duo’ of the family sports segment, becoming the two only most successful cars in this segment for the next three years.

The last car to be released in the family sport segment was the Vizzuri Laonda Prestazione Turbo. This car was another $10k more expensive than the Benetsch, but perhaps surprisingly it was cheaper to maintain. This car too brought significant racing pedigree to the table, raising people’s expectations. With its price, this car promised to be the ‘feather in the cap’ of the family sports segment. To not put lie to those promises, the car was quite a looker with superb attention to detail all around and the Vizzuri racing blue colour from its exterior carried over to the engine as well. It was more low-slung than the Wolfe and Benetsch, opting for a more sleek look that suited buyers just as well. Given its price, it is unsurprising that the car had a fully hand-made interior with four seats and a luxury cassette player. It had other luxury features, including the segment-exclusive ABS and adjustable air suspension. Magnesium rims also returned to the segment on the Vizzuri. Performance was also top-notch: the twin-turbo V8 cranked out a cool 850 HP that was delivered to the rear wheels through an advanced automatic gearbox and a geared LSD. The car reached a blistering 354 km/h top speed, but ‘only’ managed a 4.9 s 0-100 time as the car experienced turbo-lag and was also slightly grip limited. Nevertheless, it was not terrible to drive and had a good set-up, had the top marks in prestige in the category, had decent reliability, safety, and top marks in comfort. In short, the car was mind-boggingly fast, but could get the family safely from A to B in comfort. The car simply didn’t have any major faults, compromises, or drawbacks. Without any real rivals in the family or family sports segment - as price-wise it fell somewhere in between the ‘very expensive’ and ‘unaffordable’ range - it did very well among the upper-class family/family sports luxury buyers who wanted more than a Benetsch, but the General Auto A1000 seemed too ludicrous.

…to be continued…

15 Likes

Rd. 4 RESULTS

Chapter 13: Police Interceptor - 1980 (conclusion)

Left to right: Vizzuri Vipera QV Interceptor @Aruna, SUMA M613 Persega @Banana_Soule, Aero Interceptor Concept @Edsel, Swanson 555G Rozzer @Ludvig, Benetsch Buhrie 4600 Police Interceptor @Texaslav

After the Junior staff selected their top five picks, they forwarded the detailed portfolios to the Senior staff at the Highway Patrol. These five cars were all deemed acceptable as Letara’s new flagship police interceptor, but only one company would be contracted to provide the full fleet. The cars were evaluated by two committees: the Senior Financial and Senior Highway Patrol Officers to assess the financial aspects of each proposal and the car’s suitability for police use. Furthermore, the cars were tested by professional paid drivers to test their handling and speed on the ragged edge. Without further ado, in user-name alphabetical order:

Vizzuri Vipera QV Interceptor
SFO: The purchase price of this car is about middle-of-the-road, so nothing to outright complain about, but not great either. Its service cost is quite high among this group of five, but then fuel economy is better than average. Overall, we predict this car to be the most expensive one of this group, costing each unit about $74.3k over its lifetime. Reliability is about average, so there shouldn’t be too many ‘hidden’ costs in the future due to excessive repair bills.
HPO: Now this is what an interceptor should look like. It looks like it can catch anything - and even if it can’t, its looks say “don’t even try” - which is what we want! Belying its supercar looks, it is very ergonomic and comfortable on the inside, so it shouldn’t be a problem for our officers to sit in it for hours while waiting for their ‘prey’. From the stats that were provided, it looks like they fare about average in crash tests, so we shouldn’t worry excessively about officer safety.
PD: From the cars that we tested, this is the fastest by some margin - 274 km/h top speed. Acceleration is quite good too. It wasn’t quite as nimble in tight turns as some of the others in the group, but didn’t do poorly by any means either. It has good strong brakes - again, not the best in the group, but very decent. Overall, the ease of driving the car was about average, and should pose no problems for any trained driver.

SUMA M613 Persega
SFO: This is the cheapest car to buy by some margin, and service costs are very low too. Fuel economoy, however, is slightly worse than average, bringing the overall costs of each unit over its lifetime to about $55.5k - well below average in the lot. Reliability is slightly below average, giving raise to some concerns about future repair and replacement bills.
HPO: Well, this car looks like just any other police cruiser out there. Not much intimidation factor, unless people recognize it as a sleeper or something. Seat-testing has revealed that these cars are quite uncomfortable to sit in for longer periods of time, so we would have to look into re-jigging our on-duty times. Crash tests for this car reveal some deficiencies, so officer safety would be an obvious concern.
PD: This is the second slowest car in the line-up, with a top speed of only 226 km/h. Acceleration is also quite slow, so this car might have some trouble keeping up with cars on the highway. To make matters worse, this car has poor cornering characteristics too, and suffers from weak brakes compared to the competition. Despite having an advanced automatic gearbox, it doesn’t seem to help either comfort or drivability, but takes away a level of control from an experienced driver.

Aero Interceptor Concept
SFO: The purchase price of this small car is slightly below average. Its service costs and especially fuel economy are much better than average, making it overall the cheapest cost per unit at $49.8k over their lifetime. Reliability is slightly above average, so there shouldn’t be very many expensive repairs in the future of these small cars. Very highly recommended on cost basis.
HPO: This is a rather diminutive car that does look fast and nimble, but would it look intimidating in a highway chase scenario? Maybe. The size of the car has resulted in some other concerns: it is rather cramped and uncomfortable inside, and crash tests reveal some rather worrying results with severe trauma to the dummies.
PD: These small cars are rather slow with a top speed of 201 km/h. Acceleration matches the slow top speed here. Where these cars shine is in cornering and braking - they carve turns rather nicely, and stop confidently. They are not the easiest to handle though, but nothing a trained driver couldn’t handle. So these cars might not be best suited for high-speed chases, but rather for nimble inner-city police work.

Swanson 555G Rozzer
SFO: These cars are slightly above average in purchase price, have about average service costs, but have worst-in-class fuel economy. This means that the long-term costs for each unit are projected to be about $73.5k, almost as much as the Vizzuri. Reliability is superb, however, so we predict very little in terms of unexpected and expensive repair bills in the future.
HPO: These cars have a slightly more aggressive look than the Suma or Benetsch, but still look mostly like a souped-up police cruiser. These cars are quite large, and with that space comes a modicum of comfort, although not quite as good as the Vizzuri. Crash tests for these look great - no crash test dummies were seriously harmed in any tests, which bodes well for our officers too.
PD: Inexplicably this car has a speed limiter at 250 km/h - we feel like the company submitting this car didn’t quite get the assignment. This does mean that the car has some excess power that it doesn’t use, and that acceleration is surprisingly good. Despite it being a larger and heavier car, it also handles corners very well, and has very good brakes that even out-perform the smaller and lighter Aero. Overall, it is quite easy to drive. Overall, quite a good car, just a shame about the top speed limitation.

Benetsch Buhrie 4600 Police Interceptor
SFO: The purchase price is very close to that of the Swanson, about average. Ditto the service costs. However, the fuel economy is comparatively better than average, and the projected overall costs of each unit is $69.3k, better than average. Reliability is quite excellent too, so expensive repairs should be reduced compared to most others here.
HPO: Not quite as intimidating looking as we’d like, but perhaps Benetsch’ reputation as a fast racer would help to deter speeders when they see one in police livery. This is also a larger car, so comfort is not a major issue, although it is lower than the Vizzuri or Swanson. Crash tests have shown this car to be quite safe too, in between the Swanson and Vizzuri this time, and we would be happy to have our officers in this car too.
PD: This car is very similar to the Swanson in almost all aspects. It is limited to 250 km/h, has similar acceleration speed, is only a hair worse at handling turns, has a tad worse brakes, but is overall a tad easier to drive. So we can say that it is a great car overall, but basically nothing separates it from the Swanson in driving characteristics, despite it being on a completely different platform.

There was more discussion among the various working groups, because nobody could be fully satisfied with whichever choice was made. No car is perfect, and they all bring their strengths and weaknesses to the table. The overall winner of the Government Competition will be the face of the Highway Patrol and must uphold their reputation, so it must be the right choice.

The winner of the contract is...

Congratulations to Vizzuri! Again, Vizzuri came up with a car that has just the right strengths and compromises to rise above the competition. Well done again; the Government of Letara is happy to order a small fleet of your Vizzuri Vipera QV Interceptor supercars.

The Vizzuri out on the unlimited speed stretch of highway next to the Lerance Raceway.

Final ranking and some comments capturing the essence of the committee’s discussions:

1. Vizzuri: Not outstanding in any one category (except perhaps top speed), but on aggregate good enough to claim first place. Price was of generally smaller concern this round, as only a few of these would be ordered anyway, and its price was not egregious compared to the other main competitors.
  2. Suma: Its price perhaps pushed it higher than it should have been on merit alone. Its tuning and handling were the main culprits to bring it down, but comfort was another big one.
  3. Benetsch: Very strong contender with excellent characteristics, but just didn’t have that tiny little bit of oomph that the Vizzuri brought. The speed was of course a big issue.
  4. Swanson: Basically the same could be said for the Swanson as the Benetsch. Very strong contender, but being almost as expensive as the Vizzuri it should’ve brought even more than the Benetsch - which it didn’t. Too bad about the speed limiter too.
  5. Aero: Its price carried it into the finals, but that is about where it stopped for the little car that could. If it had been faster, it could’ve been higher up, as its handling was the best in the group, but it had too many deficiencies that a cheap price could not make up.

…to be continued…

16 Likes

of course Vizzuri completes that Hat-Trick…

might as well not bother at this point lol

3 Likes

The speed limiter didn’t do much…unlimited the Rozzer can do only 257, or 262 with optimized gearing. But yeah, it’s more of a regular patrol car, especially beside the Interceptor from Vizzuri. To outrun one you’ll want to have the Laonda Prestazione Turbo…

1 Like

Rd. 4 RESULTS

Chapter 14: Consumer car segment 1975-1984 - Small sports

Left to right: Levante Grifo III 2.0 S+, Levante Grifo III 2.4 V6 @TanksAreTryhards, Swanson 125 PO @Ludvig, Levante Grifo III 2.0 TURBO, Niichi Dynema Aquila MT40 @MisterRocketMan, Grigory Sport Turbo @Admiral_Obvious, Swanson 125 SPC, Wolfram Wolfhound GT 3.6 @abg7

With the proliferation of sports cars in Letara, another new segment was created: the small sports car. These cars had short wheelbases similar to city cars, but had a distinct sporty feel to them. Due to their size, they were perhaps not as capable on the highway as their full-size counterparts, but they still packed a punch. To make up for outright brute force, they were expected to be more nimble and handle tight twisty stretches of road much better than the average car. Let’s see how the nine competitors did.

The first cars on the scene were the Swanson 125 PO, a small manual soft-top convertible, and the Swanson 125 SPC, a small ‘hot-hatch’. These cars promised to bring some of Swanson’s racing pedigree to the streets, especially the SPC with its hotter tune. The PO was the cheaper option of the two with a price tag just in the premium price bracket. It had 2+2 premium seating and a premium AM radio - perhaps a little outdated by the day’s standards. It showed its sporty side with magnesium rims, but also a more budget city car side with medium-compound tires, solid discs up front and drum brakes in the rear. Compared to city cars it was certainly a step up in performance, but for the price it was a bit under-equipped. The fact that it was a convertible did carry much weight with customers, though, who were willing to overlook some deficits elsewhere as long as they could feel the wind and sunshine on their craniums. The PO’s performance was not exactly stellar, but good enough to provide fun for the driver. Comfort was decent too, despite the drop-top and the smaller jump seats in the back. It was just a fun little car to drive, and for the price it provided some performance and a lot of smiles, and became a success among people who wanted a relatively cheap fun small car for some summer canyon carving.

The Swanson 125 SPC was a similar, but different beast. It featured the same engine, but with a hotter tune providing an extra 33 HP. In further contrast to the PO, it was a hatchback with four full size seats, and featured other upgrades including a clutched differential, premium 8-track, sports compound tires on larger rims, and upgraded brakes all-round. With all these upgrades, the SPC was objectively the better car: more comfortable, sporty yet easier to handle, faster, and even more reliable. And despite all these upgrades, the SPC was not significantly more expensive than the PO - and somehow cheaper to maintain - assuring that it remained very competitive, even if the PO had the ‘convertible’ desirability advantage. It was just too much of a fun small car to throw around, and could even transport four adults in relative comfort in a pinch if needed. With its decent off-road capability, it also suited those who wanted to convert it into a semi-rally car too - and that is what its long-term legacy became.

Three years later the two Levante cars were released: the 1978 Grifo III 2.0 S+ and the Grifo III 2.4 V6. Both were priced under the Swanson 125 PO, and were the only small sports cars in the ‘standard’ price bracket for the decade. Most interestingly, both cars had mid-mounted engines, hinting at sporty aspirations and a promise of excellent weight distribution and handling. Both cars had a forward-looking modern look, that was appreciated by customers. The Grifo III 2.0 S+ was the cheaper of the two. It had a smaller I4 engine with a relatively weak (compared to sports cars) 80 HP engine, but with its light weight still matched the performance of the Swanson 125 PO. It had two standard seats and a standard 8-track, and combined with the sports compound tires, it was not an overly comfortable car. But it had some major strengths in the handling, sportiness, and drivability department. It was a superbly set-up car that was a dream to drive. Not overly fast, but it provided much excitement, and had ample grip that could be broken in a controlled manner if desired by the operator. One could not get a cheaper car to have this much fun with, so it sold well among the enthusiasts of canyon carving.

Its more expensive sibling, the Grifo III 2.4 V6 had a - as the name suggests - larger V6 engine that provided 23 more HP to the rear wheels. The car was $2k more expensive, but then you did get a premium interior and premium 8-track and a healthy boost to performance. In fact, it matched the Swanson 125 SPC almost to a tee in general performance, speed, cornering - but was slightly more comfortable and easier to drive. While it did not have Swanson’s racing pedigree, it did offer the ‘mid-engine’ experience. And all that for $3.5k cheaper than the Swanson. So it is easy to see how the Grifo V6 stole valuable sales from the Swanson upon its release. So while the S+ was fan favourite among those preferring to stick to the weekend outing in the hills, the V6 option was favoured by those who wished a bit more power for the occasional track day, where the engine could be opened up more on the straights. For both of these cars, the only weakness was that they were restricted to the most pristine of paved roads. For rougher roads or gravel, the Swanson SPC remained the top choice.

Another two years down the line, in 1980, two more small sports cars hit the market, both priced between the Swansons. The cheaper of the two was the Niichi Dynema Aquila MT40. It was one of those cars that defied classification too: it was a small city-size wagon with four full-size seats, but with a distinct sports package. The wagon body shape suggested that it was a practical family workhorse, but only four seats meant that it was not actually practical for most families. Its AWD system suggested more grip and perhaps off-road capability, but it was in fact only capable of traversing only the best of the paved roads, restricting its practicality in a similar way as the Levantes. It had a sports interior and premium 8-track player, but had comparatively lower comfort than the Swansons and the Levante V6. The turbo on the engine was an interesting option for consumers, but its performance trailed behind the competition. The car was easy to handle, though, and with the wagon shape it had more than ample luggage space. And with the stiffer suspension, it could even hold a good amount of weight in the boot. But who would buy such a car? For family and wagon shoppers it didn’t quite have the practicality, for sports shoppers it didn’t have the performance, and in general it didn’t seem to be a good cost-benefit proposition for anyone. But, it was a very unique and interesting car, so just based on that it did mange sales among those who just wanted something different: the small sleeper wagon.

The 1980 Grigory Sport Turbo was just a little cheaper than the Swanson SPC, but was quite a bit more expensive to maintain. It was a small hot-hatch with 2+2 sports seating and a premium 8-track. In terms of performance, it was not too bad, roughly on par with the Swanson SPC and Levante V6, and it was relativley easy to drive too, although the handling wasn’t quite as precise. But unfortunately this is where the good things end for the Grigory. Some issues with the car were readily visible even when looking at it on the dealer’s lot: it was missing any of the required side markers. Dealers attempted to rectify the situation with reflective decal stickers, but peeling would always be an issue with these. Then there was a much larger issue lurking under the hood. The engine was tuned to 103 RON, so even with the best grade fuel available, the engine was prone to excessive knocking, and thus reliability of the units was severely impacted. The car was quite noisy too. Not illegal, but unjustifiably so when looking at the performance. To top it off, it was also by far the most uncomfortable small sports car on the market - only ‘outdone’ by the basic Aero and Popas cars. So needless to say, the Grigory did not make a great impression on the Letaran market.

In 1982 the Levante Grifo III 2.0 Turbo was released. With this release Levante tried to put the feather in the cap of the Grifo III line. The 2.0 Turbo had, as the name suggests, a 2L I4 turbo that put out the most power of any small sports car thus far: 205 HP. With its mid-mounted engine it had ample grip for acceleration, and a low weight allowed for a superb 4.7 0-100 km/h acceleration that beat any full-size sports car in the same price range, and was only beaten by much more expensive luxury-priced options. Top speed was just shy of 240 km/h too, making it the fastest small sports car and competing well with full-size sports cars. Its other statistics were impressive too, with better comfort and sportiness than its predecessors, and knife-sharp handling and better cornering too. It did compromise in a few areas, though. It was not as forgiving and harder to drive than its competitors - significantly so compared to the older Grifo IIIs. It was also quite a bit less reliable. Its suspension set-up was quite extreme, something you’d find more on a track car than a regular road car - and the car was indeed quite useless on anything but the most pristine of tarmac. And upkeep was quite expensive - about $10k more over its lifetime than the other Grifo models, and ~$6k more than any other small sports car. So it was no surprise that the Grifo III 2.0 Turbo was not a very hot seller among road users, but it was a hot item for track day - best to trailer it to the track, though. Not many sales in the grand scheme, but a fan favourite nonetheless among the most dedicated enthusiasts.

In 1984 the last and most expensive small sports car hit the market: the Wolfram Wolfhound GT 3.6. Despite appearances, it had the same wheelbase as the Swanson cars - but with much longer overhands and a low wedge shape, it looked bigger than it was. It was quite a looker too, with nice and tasteful design inside and out. This 2-seater coupe was nearly $10k more expensive than any other small sports car with a proportionally larger upkeep cost. It had two premium seats and a premium cassette player - the only of its kind in this category. But with a price that was literally $40 below a luxury tag, it still felt a little disappointing. It was the most powerful small sports car with 300 HP, and while it could not quite match the Grifo 2.0 Turbo for acceleration, it did have a top of the class 264 km/h top speed. It had other extras too compared to its competition, including a class-exclusive ABS system. It had excellent comfort for its size and price, was quite easy to handle even when pushing its superbly tuned cornering to the knife’s edge, and it just felt so sporty and responsive to drive. It was, however, not the most reliable of cars, but also not horrible by any means - just what you’d expect from a top-tier performance car. Best of all, it could also handle a few small bumps, so you could drive it to the track rather than put it on a trailer. For the price, you could not get a faster car, even in the full-size sports category, and it beat all-but-one in comfort too. In short, it was simply the best cost-to-performance ratio sports car in the premium price bracket, and as the economy improved it was a logical purchase for anyone wanting to upgrade their Levante or Swanson for something better, and even stole sales from the full-size sports buyers.

…to be continued…

19 Likes