[LHC] - Letara History Challenge - Rd 5 [Results being posted]

Ah, I can see how my old logo for Walton could’ve caused confusion

5 Likes

martinet logo_s

This is the Martinet models coming to Letara in 1980

1980 Martinet Erable

The Erable is all based on the new Miller Maple series, (Erable is Maple in french) The french made cars have some minor changes to the front and a different dashboard to suite the european market.

Martinet Erable 2.0 Li

Martinet Erable 2.0 GLi Break

Martinet Erable 3.8 GLXi Cabriolet

1980 Martinet Erable Police

Martinet Erable 3.8i CLi Police

1977 Martinet Castor III TR

The last effort before closing down the Martinet Motorsport Division, Entering the last of the Castor III rally cars, fitted with a 3.8l turbo charged V6 from Miller Motors, 475 hp driving the front wheels.

1980 Martinet by Miller Motors
14 Likes

The Erable sedan reminds me a bit of a Volvo 460…inspiration source or pure coincidence?

And I thought my entry for this iteration of LEC was going to be the wildest, or even the fastest, sports car on sale in Letara during this timeframe! Then again, the Stelvio trim of this Zephorus is not a direct competitor - it’ll be a much more expensive proposition.

Also, props to you for reusing your QFC14 entry, and creating a lower-end trim with a six-cylinder engine for those with smaller budgets, along with off-road and even police-spec trims.

3 Likes

KESSEL PROVING GROUNDS - 1976

Kessel’s racing program had encountered some setbacks since Kessel had been acquired by Armor Motors in 1970. Granted, their sporadic podium finishes at Lerance Raceway were noteworthy, but Armor Group was intent on structuring their three auto divisions to showcase their strengths and keep the company profitable as a whole: Armor Motors built smallish, reliable cars that would be branded as Kessels in Letara, Kessel’s off-road vehicles would be branded as Armor trucks in America, and Durendal’s Australian sports and supercars would gain an audience in other markets.

So, with Kessel’s racing program struggling to build a suitable racecar for Lerance’s new rallycross track (they had actually succeeded in building a highly modified Armor Cricket to meet the time constraint, but it was nearly undriveable and extremely temperamental), Durendal stepped in with their own car.

The 490 Melbourne was a racing version of Durendal’s 366 Melbourne street car. The 366 itself was nearly race-ready, but the 490 reportedly offered a 0-100 time in 3 seconds flat, without compromising other statistics like the “Frankenstein Cricket” did.

Kessel (and Armor Group) would just have to see how their entry stacked up against the other cars…

6 Likes

Okay, I think I need some help with this. No matter how hard I try, I can’t get a car to do it in under 4:40 even after completely disregarding lore and rules (the type of car I want to run is stuck in the 5:00 range). Automation track tuning just isn’t something I’ve ever spent much time on.

Is there some guide ya’ll can point me to get better at this? (or is my insistence on short-wheelbase FR cars just dooming me here?)

2 Likes

I guess it hard to not make a car look like a 440 with that body set :wink:

2 Likes

FR may not do it for you. I didn’t even try a FR one, started right off with RR and a 480 hp engine. That one I ended up barely breaking into 4:30, but other stats were just miserable.

Best things to consider (that I have found… racing isn’t usually my thing, I’m more of a production car guy) is to make sure you have enough traction for quick acceleration, and enough lateral g’s (both at low speed and high speed) to take the turns. WIDE tires…

I had to switch to a different body than I wanted, but once I went with a MR layout I could build something I feel more confident with. Someone I think just posted a FF car, I’m eager to find how how they made that work. The potential advantage to that (for drivability stats alone) is intriguing.

2 Likes

Aim for atleast 600hp+ for this round, potentially softer suspension for the offroad bonus, if you have decent stats and get it into the 4:30 range then you might stand the same chance as people who are lower in the time range and worse stats.

Theres a few things that will help you is making sure you have enough traction for the power you have, making a light car doesn’t matter too much this round so you can sacrifice weight for reliability or cost in a few places.

4 Likes

That’s interesting to think about, I thought my problem was focusing too much on power, since whenever I try to add power to the engine, I don’t actually get much more performance. I’ve always been bad at getting power out of an engine anyway, though,

I would disagree about needing that much power. My entry is capable low 4:20 lap times, yet only has 512hp. And I played with a build that was capable of a 4:30 with only 340hp. But I would agree that acceleration in the more crucial bit rather than straight up top speed. Being able to get the power you have to the ground and maximizing corning speeds seems to be the way to go.

3 Likes

Ok, after trying some bigger MR cars, I was able to just barely clear 4:30 with 500hp (and by “just” I mean 4:26 with semi slicks).

I think my main problem is that I’m trying to work with small cars (<=2.0m wheelbase ideally, 2.2m at most), which just can’t handle the amount of power they’d need to be competitive in this era. My small-car manufacturer may just not be able to compete in this round, and I’ll have to lobby next round to either remove the time limit or add a power-to-weight limit.

3 Likes

In 1981, Ospiana was hot off the heels of the Interloper War, and although recovering, had come out the other side completely revitalized. They held a laundry list of new allies and partners in important places who had played a part in trying to puppet Ospiana along, and a great deal of their age-old debts had actually been resolved, while the fighting against a technologically superior power spurred development and economic investment into overdrive. SUMA became a privatized corporation at the end of the war and, now freed from the majority of the red tape and cost-saving incentives, they set to work organizing an explosive return to the market.

From left to right: The all-new Selecta sedan, the company’s first time hatchback in the Burra, and a unique van derivative called the Entrega.

The Selecta

The next-generation M313 Selecta was nearly unrecognizable from the previous iterations of the trusty small sedan. Although mechanically similar with an engine from the same lineage, and sharing the trademark solid axle with locking differential, new life had been breathed into the Selecta that transformed it from a mere budget option to an affordable, dependable, and feature-complete part of the family. Gone were the spartan accommodations, fitted now with a suite of modern safety features, all-soft-surface interior, and a surprise for its class, a complete entertainment package. All-new disc brakes were a standard fitting, and for the first time in the Selecta, a fuel pump allowed the gas cap to be installed externally.

Alongside a concerted and carefully worded advertisement strategy and even a merchandising program, the new Selecta was the face of SUMA’s campaign to change their image from a cheap manufacturer to a simple one. No more were budget cars a compromise; they could be both a great value and come with plenty of features and comfort, and look good doing it! Owners within the vehicle’s launch year were subscribed to a limited annual poster, and certain events paired the cars with SUMA-branded parachute jackets, t-shirts, leather document binders, and other paraphernalia over the course of the celebration.

The Burra

For the first time ever, SUMA offers a hatchback! The Burra, built on the same M313 platform, features all the same new and improved features of the Selecta sedan, now in a stylish and practical liftback form!

The Entrega

The Entrega, although similar, wasn’t actually derived from the Burra; instead, it’s a purpose-built small courier van based on the San Porta. It was much simpler in construction with a single row bench seat, cheaper radio, and a revised set of brakes and springs. It also featured an improved powerplant with a fuel injection system and an all-new SUMAtic automated clutch mechanism. The transmission made stop-and-go deliveries much easier, but only having 2 gears and the finnicky nature of the complex parts led to some issues with handling and mileage.

Government submission: unsupervised SUMA engineers turn the M313 prototype into a capable and cost-effective high-speed interceptor!

The Persega

The prototypes for the new M313 platform were used extensively in a variety of tests and development for future ventures, including a high performance trim of the Selecta sedans that SUMA would use to finally broach on the sportier budget markets. The engineers, however, had very little oversight, and by the time the sedan was ready for the civilian market, the litany of upgrades attached to the testbed way overshot their typical price range, far beyond what SUMA was comfortable with. The product was nearly shelved until a few officials took notice of the car’s surprising capabilities for its value, being still rather cheap compared to other police packages of the day, and research continued.

The result was the M613 Persega, a high-speed, high-capability pursuit vehicle well equipped to patrolling highways and keeping rowdy rich types with new-age sports cars in check. Although the CSC had little use for the pursuit special and opted instead for a somewhat more mild patrol car based on the 4-door platform, the Persega would be widely marketed as a low-cost but no-compromise solution to street racing and hot rod gangs.

11 Likes

FYI, if it can help, my car is 2.0m wheelbase, has 760hp and it handles well (RR) but it does need LSD, huge tires, camber, weight distribution and extra weight.

3 Likes

I didn’t even realize it was possible to get 760hp in this era.

Yeah, performance-tuning isn’t my strong area… (:

I’ve got about 750+ in my FR car for this. I had 1100+ in the previous engine that was in it, but I couldn’t get that one under the time limit at all.

3 Likes

Knightwick catalogue for Letara in 1980

Consumer cars: Knightwick Cosmopolitan

Following on our work on the “small car for the next decade” is the brand new Cosmopolitan city car. Utilising the latest in suspension and chassis technology Cosmopolitan offers front wheel drive and four wheel independent suspension making this both a comfortable and easy to drive car.

For 1980 the sturdy Knightwick “A*” engine has been updated with strengthened block, harmonic damper for smoother running and also hypereutectic pistons on all engines for lower emissions. Along with this from 1980 going forwards all Knightwick cars in Letara will off full three-way catalytic converters which we believe will make us the cleanest car manufacturer available.
The updated “A*” engine is available in 1275 or 1093cc sizes, modern manufacturing techniques mean these engine now share a common block with two lengths of conrod offering the different sizes.

1100DL

Our starter model is the 1100 DL available as a five door hatch with a 1093cc engine. This is no back to basics car however, standard equipment includes a fully carpeted interior, adjustable cloth seats, a four speaker 8-track player, twin door mirrors and rear wash wipe

Technical Specifications
Length 3.52m
Width 1.52m
Wheelbase 2.28m
Weight 769KG
Chassis Steel Unibody
Front Suspension Macpherson strut, twin tube dampers
Rear Suspension semi-trailing arm, twin tube dampers
Front Brakes 220mm solid discs, single caliper
Rear Brakes 220mm single leading shoe drum
Steering rack and pinion
Front Tyres P135 85R12 80Q Radial
Rear Tyres P135 85R12 80Q Radial
Engine 1093cc i4 with two barrel carburretor
Transmission four speed manual
Power 49bhp@5000rpm
Torque 78NM@3300rpm

1275 Classic

For the buyer who wants the more traditional style car is the Cosmopolitan classic available as a four door sedan with the 1275cc A* engine. This upgrades the interior to full leather seat facings, head restraints on the front seats and wood trim on the dashboard and doors. On the exterior there is chrome door handles, chrome trim strip on the side, chrome headlight and grille surround. The wheels are slightly larger and have full plastic trims fitted.

Technical Specifications
Length 3.72m
Width 1.52m
Wheelbase 2.28m
Weight 811KG
Chassis Steel Unibody
Front Suspension Macpherson strut, twin tube dampers
Rear Suspension semi-trailing arm, twin tube dampers
Front Brakes 220mm solid discs, single caliper
Steering rack and pinion
Front Tyres P155 70R13 80Q Radial
Rear Tyres P155 70R13 80Q Radial
Engine 1275cc i4 with twin single barrel carburretors
Power 60bhp@5000rpm
Torque 91NM@3300rpm

Gt-turbo

The Cosmopolitan was updated for 1984 with a new flush fitting front end treatment and larger boot hatch opening at the rear with squared tail light design. The sedan was discontinued at this time with more focus on the hatchback. The interior was facelifted with the radio moved lower into the dashboard, vents added to the sides and on higher end models a plastic centre console with storage compartments.

Also new for 1984 was a turbocharged 1275cc model of the hatchback. This offered a strengthened variant of the A* engine along with the latest in air to air turbocharging with an intercooler. The turbo has model specific front and rear spoilers and extra venting on the bonnet and front valance.
Wide alloy wheels with softer tyres, vented front disc brakes and uprated suspension offer much improved road holding and driving experience.

The interior has two tone sports front seats, a sports steering wheel and a wood gear knob. Other standard equipment is a cassette player, electric front windows and a rev counter.

Technical Specifications
Length 3.52m
Width 1.52m
Wheelbase 2.28m
Weight 811KG
Chassis Steel Unibody
Front Suspension Macpherson strut, mono tube dampers
Rear Suspension semi-trailing arm, mono tube dampers
Front Brakes 220mm vented discs, double caliper
Steering rack and pinion
Front Tyres P155 55R13 79T Radial
Rear Tyres P155 55R13 79T Radial
Engine 1275cc i4 turbocharged with twin single barrel carburretors
Power 95bhp@5500rpm
Torque 139NM@4300rpm

Government entry: Knightwick S-Roadster

Police cruiser alongside standard S-Roadster sprint.

The basis for our police assignment is the S-Roadster two seater notchback coupe. The standard fitment 2.0 engine is removed and replaced with a 4415cc V8 engine built by Knightwick Australia for luxury sedans. This is also mated to a five speed manual gearbox and geared differential.

Technical Specifications
Length 3.94m
Width 1.62m
Wheelbase 2.35m
Weight 950KG
Chassis Steel Unibody
Front Suspension Double Wishbone, gas mono tube dampers
Rear Suspension Double Wishbone, gas mono tube dampers
Front Brakes 250mm vented discs, double caliper
Rear Brakes 250mm solid discs, single caliper
Steering rack and pinion
Front Tyres P195 60R14 92Z Radial
Rear Tyres P195 60R14 92Z Radial
Engine 4415cc V8 four barrel carburetors
Transmission five speed manual
Power 216bhp@5500rpm
Torque 308NM@4000rpm
12 Likes

Garland Automotive Group

1978-84 Garland Line-up

The Workhorse
1978 Garland L-500 Super Hauler

After nearly a decade without a new L-series truck introduced into Letara, Garland decided to introduce the super heavy duty L-500s.

The Better Looking Workhorse
1984 Garland L-500 Super Hauler

A facelifted version of the initial L-500, however it wasn’t just the looks that changed, the '84 L-500 upgraded to a more efficient, powerful, and reliable engine.

government

The Little Prick pt. 2
1980 Garland Determinator Interceptor

19 Likes

Levante Automobili

path21

BRINGING BACK THE KING

GRIFO III

In 1958, Levante introduced a small, nimble sportscar destined to make history in Letara, becoming the most renowed light sportscar of its era, and dominating sales for an entire decade from its introduction.

THAT CAR WAS THE ORIGINAL LEVANTE GRIFO

But the second generation got complacent, becoming bigger, heavier, and more civilized. The Grifo lost its way, and the king lost its crown. The fatter, clumsy II was no match for its peers, and got lost to time.

IT WAS TIME FOR A CHANGE

And change it was. A totally new car, back to it’s roots. Cheap, nimble, a raw driving machine built to live on twisty road, but still competent enough to be your daily drive. A complete revolution on how we at Levante think cars. Our first…

MID. ENGINE. SPORTSCAR.

THE KING IS BACK, AND HE MEANS BUSINESS

Discover Grifo
The new Grifo is the dawn of an engineering revolution for Levante. Built with a "less is more" mindset, the new platform revolutionize space management within the chassis itself, with the everyday needs of people in mind.

The front sits on new McPherson suspension, a departure from the sublime, but bulky double wishbones of a typical Levante car. The space-saving measure allows for a lighter suspension design, as well as a large front booth, for your everyday needs. A smaller, emergency pocket is found at the rear, just behind the engine compartment, for even more space for your stuff.

The interior follows a similar modular approach, with a more contemporary look as well as ample space for 2 people to drive comfortably around in our Grifo. Improved sound deafening has been employed in the engine bay region to allow for more acoustic comfort, while specific resonance tuning has helped us mantain the “voice” of the engine even trought the new sound damping materials. With the renown quality of Levante interiors, the Grifo is a surprisingly cozy place to live within.

But it’s where the booth normally resides that the true revolution starts. All-Alluminum engines live in the heart of the Grifo, ready to hit miles over miles of fun drives with no issues, with improved reliability and fuel economy, thanks to technological improvements in our new engine range. And with all our Grifos weighting well under the ton, driving dynamics are better than ever, ready to puch way above their weight on every road out there (pun intended!)

At what cost, you ask?

STARTING FROM 14000 $

No, it’s no mistake.

And with our three-year manteinance plan, you can save even more money for your important stuff. Like that nice ring you wanted to gift your fiancee…

Levante Grifo. Fun has never been so accessible!

The Range
GRIFO 2.0 S+

• 2000 cc 4C-20C carburetted engine, 107 HP at 5700 rpm, 150nm at 4300 rpm. Two-valve, single camshaft all-alluminum engine
  • 15-inch alloy rims, full sports tyres set, 165/60 front, 215/50 rear
  • All-around disk brakes
  • Standard interior with 8-track sound system
  • fun for days over days of twist road drives
  • starts at 14000$

GRIFO 2.4 V6

• 2412 cc 6V-24i fuel injected engine, 140 HP at 6100 rpm, 173nm at 4400 rpm. Two-valve, single camshaft all-alluminum engine with electronic fuel injection
  • 5-speed Magnastar manual transmission
  • Body coloured lights assembly
  • Premium interiors with leather inserts, and Gose premium sound system
  • 6.6 second 0-100 time, and the privilege of humbling that one rich kid with a $30000 dollar “sportscar”
  • starts at 17000$

1982 GRIFO TURBO

• EPYC 80’S REDESIGN, NOW WITH A SPOILER
  • 2000 cc TURBO ENGINE, 205 HP AT 5700 RPM, 300 NM AT 4100 RPM
  • POP UP HEADLIGHTS
  • A GODDAMN LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL
  • 0-100 IN 4.7 SECONDS. FOUR POINT SEVEN M…FKING SECONDS
  • EATS SUPERCARS FOR BREAKFAST, COSTS LIKE A SUPERCAR TO MANTAIN
  • 21000 $ WHICH IS TOTALLY WORTH FOR THE PURPLE PAINT ALONE
  • YEAH I MIGHT BE OVERSELLING IT BUT WE BOTH KNOW YOU WANT IT

THE ALL-NEW LEVANTE GRIFO. POWERED BY PASSION.

1978 Levante Automobili, all rights reserved.

( Yeah I might be losing my mind with this post’s writing towards the end, but y’all can’t deny i’m doing it with style)

13 Likes

There, I finally got it! Seems RR was the trick after all.

I only have 480hp too, though it is on semi slicks. Could probably do a lot better with a turbo, but I worry that would sacrifice reliability too much.

Anyway, thanks ya’ll for the help! I can actually participate in racing now! :D

4 Likes