Me recreating every (?) European COTY - Part 9: 1972 Fiat 127

After all this headache and the ones coming you can use a Flat 4 to get closer to the real car! :rofl:

Yes, I haven’t done the engineering yet. As you can see, the engine is named “placeholder”, it’s a small inline 4 that fits in most cars that I use to squeeze into more or less everything since I want to start on the styling first, generally… I have always tried to mimic the IRL counterparts as close as possible, but in the case of the NSU, for example, it was of course impossible (as well as hardly any early COTY winner seems to have any normal suspension systems that you can replicate in Auto, lol).

Face your fears, release your tears…

I actually think that this can do as the basic dash. But for now this just feels like experimeting so I might as well scrap this and redo everything if it does not turn out good.

I had a feeling that there must be a vent somewhat close in shape to the GS gauge cluster, and well, there is…

Well, the only way I can get even remotely close will be scratch building with 3D fixtures, and I know that PS1 graphics has been turning into a meme lately, but nah, the PS1 was up to date for its era. Our laughing stock back then was the Sega Saturn, the world’s best 2D console entering a world of 3D it could not handle properly. Why am I turning this up now?

Well, my guess is that in best case, I will succeed with a Sega Saturn version of the GS dash…

Much work left still, but…

7 Likes

Even the lower portion of the dash has some strange shapes, but a couple of bumper bar fixtures came in handy here.

More bumper bars and a 3D tube for the area behind the steering wheel.

The iconic single spoke wheel is available as a mod.

For the lower part of the dash, headlight filler blocks once again came in handy.

7 Likes

Well, getting good pictures of GS seats and which ones that belongs to which model and so on seems to be mission impossible. I see some of them having seats looking more or less like this, so I am using this base seat…

…and then I fill the middle section with this material sheet.

5 Likes

A quite large dash filler was needed due to the somewhat weird shape around the windshield.

I have tried to avoid custom textures for as long as possible, but with the GS gauge cluster I simply gave up…

At least it has a quite normal gearstick…

11 Likes

I HATE THIS CAR! Mostly because of its godforsaken interior. I have lowered my requirements a lot and will do all I can to finish it soon to be able to go further to the Fiat 127…

Those generic door cards has to do despite not being very GS…

And I doubt a GS is supposed to have a parcel shelf like this, but it is what it is…

5 Likes

Finally the work on this dreadful car is done! Not to shit-talk the GS, it is an iconic vehicle. But the exterior was no challenge to make and the interior impossible… It was not fun to make this one and hence it sort of stopped up this thread for a while (that, and some other factors), and I am by no means satisfied with it.

Now, on to the Fiat 127 that I think will be a bit more inspiring to make.

12 Likes

OK, so now to the Fiat 127…

The Fiesta body seems to be the only suitable one, on the other hand I am not surprised since AFAIK, Ford had the 127 as a benchmark when developing the Fiesta.

60s/70s Fiat wheels are already available in the game.

Sometimes it feels like this ancient headlight fixture only exists for the reason of backwards compatibility, but it is obviously not dead yet, here it was a perfect fit.

The very simple grille was best recreated by using a vent fixture.

Honeycomb pattern rather flush with the outer edges…

And this truck taillight fixture or whatever it is, became a good turn signal/parking light assembly.

Hood seam was a bit hard to close with patches, so the classic thinned out bumper bar came to use again.

Very simple bumper on the 127. A chrome strip more or less.

Not to forget: the small vents under the grille.

And there sees to be a seam here, so let’s put one there then.

9 Likes

Your GS looks fantastic!

It’s a good training because the CX will arrive soon and I wish you good luck for the XM if a mod doesn’t exist for it! :rofl:

1 Like

I think the CX will be easier for some reasons.

1: The CX body is a bit better (at least I think so). Because the GS as I have understood it, is not modelled after an actual GS, but rather a shrunken down and slightly modified version of the CX, so it is not 100% correct. Especially in the area between bonnet and windscreen the body is weird.

2: There are some fixtures more resembling CX parts, for the interior.

Ah, the XM. Yeah, it already worries me, but it is not the only car that does. For a Xantia, the Galant body is surprisingly similar, but the Xantia didn’t win the award so…

I will really try to do my best, though ,to NOT have to skip a car.

1 Like

BTW, I added a list of all the upcoming cars, and if anyone has good body suggestions, go ahead. There might be things I haven’t thought about.

1 Like

This turn signal fixture became a good base for the grille badge.

A new hood seam at the right place.

Recreating the recess in the hood with some molding fixtures.

Once again, closing the hood seam with thinned out bumper bars.

And creating new ones for the clamshell hood. Yes, there are holes now but they can easily be patched.

Two rows of hood vents, like the 127 has.

The devil is in the details, so let’s add the bolts for the bumper brackets…

…and the turn signals.

A rather convincing front now, right?

The side crease will be hard to recreate without resculpturing the whole body, I cheat a little with this fixture…

Since it fades out on the real car, I thought that using this fixture and pulling it out longer was not that bad of an idea.

Door handles are rather typical 70s Fiat units that is represented quite well with this vanilla fixture.

Vent windows are getting less common by now, but the Fiat still has them.

Mirrors doesn’t seem to have been standard equipment on the 127, but as I said, I tend to want them. Some rather simple chrome units not too far from this seems to have been used on the cars that actually had them.

The gas cap is a rather typical detail for the 127, that is now in place.

9 Likes

A part of the 127 design that stands out is the rain gutters IMO, here I added them.

And as many Fiats of the era, those small round side markers.

Tried to replicate the lower body sculpting, not very accurate but this game is what it is sometimes.

And opened up the door gaps again.

Now to the somewhat tricky part. What is easy to forget is that the original 127 was not a hatchback. Later versions had a hatch, the early ones didn’t, and as I have said, I try to replicate the cars that actually won the award. So, a sedan conversion it is then.

Once again, filled up the gaps with some thinned out “chrome trim” set to body colour.

Raised the lower part of the trunklid a fair bit.

Shrunken rear window with patchwork. Yes it is rough but I did tidy it up later.

And a new upper gap.

New trim for the lower part of the rear window, but nah…looks off.

Yes, the trunklid was too small and I had to raise everything upwards.

And closed the gaps for the hatch around the rear window but…nah, still looks wrong.

Narrowed it down. Now this is more like it!

My to-go choice for Fiat taillights of the era. Now, I supplemented them with another fixture too, for the turn signals.

5 Likes

Bumpers, license plate and a tiny little exhaust, check!

And some detailing on the trunklid.

Screws added for taillights and bumpers, because it gives some depth to the details.

Seems like the 127 has some body seam here, so I added it.

Wipers and washers are pretty regular stuff.

Time for the obligatory pictures, and I like how it looks like an X-ray of a 127.

Why puke green? Well, just because it is a childhood memory since a friend of my mother had a puke green 127, so I thought it could be fitting.

9 Likes