Mille Monti 1953 [DESIGN VOTING]

A dysfunctional crossbreed of Gasmean and Hetvesian design philosophy: The Lauferhund Beeliner. Whether through downtown or the highway, this car will take you there in style and in one piece!

Its not winning any medals since its past the 13 hr mark but I very much enjoyed making this car

10 Likes

Maybe I’m slighty biased being Belgian myself, but this looks fantastic!

1 Like

The Daalbeck Machineworks Corporation (DMV) is pleased to announce its participation in the 1953 MM, competing in the T1300 class using its brand-new Dalbäcka 41 compact car in a 4-seat, 2-door tourer configuration.

Advertisement as published in The Ellisbury Courier, June 1953

“It’s a family car!” “No! It’s a sports car!”
The DALBÄCKA is a family sports car.

Dalbäcka - the product of superb northern engineering. Economical, yet reliable. Fast, yet comfortable. Safe, yet light and nimble. A driving experience which is relaxed, but not dull.
Dalbäcka - Northern excellence - for practical Gasmeans.

Inventory:

• Dalbäcka 41/A Touring, pictured above as seen in the 1953 Mille Montes race* - pre-order for 10000 G$

• Dalbäcka 41/A Estate - pre-order for 9200 G$

• Dalbäcka 41/A Standard, available in 4-door sedan and hatchback variants - pre-order for 9000 G$

• Dalbäcka 9 Sport - available** for 14000 G$

• Dalbäcka 5/C - a range of models sold for various prices from 6500 G$

*car as sold is not identical to competition item
**some delivery delay may apply

GASMEAN AUTO MERCHANTS CO.
308. W. Street, Ellisbury GP

Story

MEMORANDUM

Date: April 5, 1953
To: DMV Management
Subject: Type 41 status and participation in Fruinian motorsports

NOTE: Not to be disseminated to non-DMV employees

Trials of the racing item on public roads in the Helminger pass, just north of the Schemmish-Northern border

I am pleased to announce that due to the efforts of our industrious workshop staff and capable leadership, we’ve fulfilled the production and quality requirements for participation in the Touring class of the Transcontinental Sportscar Championship, and an official company team will do so, using one (1) car, an early-production Type 41 variant we have designated 41/F MM. The competition car and its siblings received public roadworthiness certification only a few days ago, the racing item being registered as ‘S17533’ with the Northern transport authorities. Luckily, last week’s camshaft and valvetrain issues with the competition-tuned engine have been resolved: we’re now doing [REDACTED] horsepower at [REDACTED] revolutions, which we consider quite satisfactory, especially given the performance at low revs. The so-called “eight wolverines in a sauna” engine vibration issue has also been resolved, and our engineers assure us that the faults which caused the January 18th incident are now “almost certainly solved” and “should definitely be fine I think”.

As those of you who are more motorsport-inclined may already know, our brand has been represented in motorsporting previously only through private endeavors. While bold and capable operation of Dalbäcka cars such as that of famous Mr. Larsson ‘on-the-side’ have certainly strengthened our company reputation, the time has come to conduct racing in a more official capacity. Some, I know, have raised their eyebrows at the prospect of a Dalbäcka works team, as our brand is known more for its practical attitude and ‘everyman’ approach than for sportiness and racing flair, but I can assure you, Mr. ‘Everyman’ is going to be lining up in droves along the race course, and while the big sportscars draw the most attention, many automobilistes will be on the look for cars that do as well driving hard on mountain roads as in the everyday commute, and with an affordable price tag as well. And that is where we have an opportunity to make an impression. These races are not just for hot-blooded Coursers, there’s room for a sturdy little Döle as well, if I may use an equestrian comparison.

And so, it is my pleasure to announce that for the 1953 Mille Monte racing event, Mr. G. Envall and his co-driver F. Hémart are going to drive S17533 for the official Dalbäcka team. The driver pair is well experienced with driving in tough conditions and have driven Dalbäcka previously, most recently at the Helminger-rennen only a few weeks ago, finishing 11th in class with their modified Dalbäcka 5/C. Mr. Envall has assured us that if the Type 41 was ready for action back then, he would have ensured those Schemmish RMW drivers wouldn’t have walked away quite as satisfied as they did.

With MM approaching fast, our team is going to depart for Meranio soon. Interested employees may view the racecar tomorrow between 1300 and 1530, at the Forshaga factory, Garage No. 18. Please, make sure that the guard is notified of your arrival especially if you’re not part of the performance team and note that photography as well as overly detailed and nosy napkin sketching of technical details is forbidden. |429x426.71140939597313

Additional Pictures

12 Likes

Would love to see more pics of your car

I think the uploads work now, so there should be more pictures under the additional pictures tab :slight_smile:

1949 Wolfe 850

The original 850 in silver blue

When Wolfe announced its '49 lineup in North America, the 850 was quite a surprise for many. Among larger, luxurious vehicles, this small premium and sporty two seater appeared out of nowhere. With only 850 ever produced during its lifetime, in many configurations, this little rascal became a prized possession many years later, even though most of them ended up outside the US and Canada.

With a small front-mounted 850cc engine and a front wheel drive setup, it was a ton of fun to launch into corners. It was also a quite comfortable beast for the weekend and couple holidays with it’s two seats and good trunk, but had trouble to keep up against larger, more powerful vehicles on the open US highways. At the end of the day, with it’s 1.8m wheelbase, It was a bit too small for the North American consumer market…

1953 Mille Monti - The birth of the “Rocket” 850

However, everyone realized after a while that the small engine had plenty of potential to be tuned and was already quite lightweight with good handling. From 45hp in the original car, engineers at Wolfe were able to extract another 30hp with a twin-cam setup. The “Rocket” was born.

It was time to transform it into a racing machine. All the chrome trims were replaced with aluminium pieces, bumper pieces were nearly all removed, a cattle siren was added, any extra mechanisms like hood and trunk locks/handles were stripped and replaced with leather straps, extra lights were mounted in front and grills for the main headlights added, and the interior was mostly stripped to save weight - this diet slimmed it down to about 470kg only. The spare tire even had to be moved and secured closer to the center of the car to help the delicate balance.

Thus this Mille Monti edition was ready to continue the racing legacy Wolfe started a few years before with the 200/200 edition (200hp/200kph) of it’s 1949 large coupe. This, however, was another ball game completely as it entered the very competitive Sport 850 category of the Mille Monti.

Will it hold up against purposed-built sport cars? Only time will tell.

Gallery

21 Likes

in my opinion your car looks late 50’s. but it is stuning how good it looks.

It might in some ways for sure as Wolfe is always a bit ahead of trends, but overall it is based in parts on the '49 Oldsmobiles so it should not be too anachronistic hopefully. We’ll see what people think. Had fun doing it so that’s the important part.

4 Likes

hey im a bit late to the party but i dont see anywhere stating i cant make a 3 wheeler for this challenge :wink:
also does no open wheelers mean i cant move the wheels outside the arches on any body?

2 Likes

We will get at least one threewheeler according to the discussion on Discord. It is ok, as long as it is based on a “normal” car body. Wheels should be covered at least by mudguards. I don’t know what you plan, but if you are slightly concerned about your car body choice or overall building plan, it would make sense to talk about it before you invest too much time. If necessary PM me. :slight_smile:

Untitled (1)

Saeta Rocinante

34 Likes

Cadelli V-3

18 Likes

The Aquitaine A15 Sportcar is taking on the Mille Monti 1000 in the S2000+cc class with a 2.1L V8 engine producing 119 horsepower.

Includes ONE comfort feature, the AM radio, for when the trip gets boring. After all, 1132km is a lot to drive. Fork out some more dollars and you can get a closed top version!

11 Likes

Here is my entry the 1950 Jabberwock Fireball GT16
It has a 120Ci. (1974cc) V16 making 108hp

14 Likes

Its not the fastest at 13.19 but i enjoyed building this quite a bit was really fun

2 Likes

Schwarzmann 1300

21 Likes

ITAL 274S Scaglioni. A small displacement racecar in the best italian tradition of doing racing with proper, timeless elegance.

28 Likes

Coming from Chapelle, Val-du-Mauve (Gasmea), Fernac has announced their participation to the 1953 Mille Monti race across the border, with their brand new race car : the Fernac Gillespie 1300.

It will challenge the 1300cc sports class. Thanks to its new overhead cam design with a second intake valve fueling each of the four cylinders from two DCOE carburators, its engine is capable of 80 hp, which is more than enough to move the 660kg of its rigid space frame chassis with a fitting aluminium barquette-style body, combined with its rather short gearbox in a typical Fernac manner, the car is capable of excellent performances with astonishing accelerations and cornering.

The car is definitely a record breaker if we can find a driver with enough bravery to slide it in every corner (and shift it down a bit earlier…), but the only one who answered positively is a deaf surgeon (the only one capable of bearing the loudness of the engine, also the one who made the less mistakes, keeping the car straight in any condition). Fernac will provide him a pillow to help absorb what the suspension doesn’t.

Fun fact : Fernac came very late with this name, initially aiming for MA-1300 (MA for Moteur Avant), the CEO Roger Fernac found its final name not even three months before the race, adding only a badge on the dashboard. It was in february, Dizzy Gillespie gave a concert at the Salle Plenel in Chapelle, at which Roger Fernac was present. The next week, after spending a lot of time test-riding the MA, he was so impressed by the speed and madness of this car, that it reminded him the wild atmosphere of that evening with the fast music of Dizzy Gillespie and decided to give this name to the car, although it has no radio in it, although nobody could hear it if there was one…

Thanks Der Bayer, I had lots of fun building for this challenge :slight_smile:

29 Likes

I’ve heard the interior isn’t really taken into account for visual scoring but was recommended for open tops. How are yall planning on judging that aspect?

I don’t think a basic interior would decrease my rating when scoring but I guess people are able to rate higher if the interior is done well… even if its not supposedly judged… idk.

2 Likes

Not reliable or efficient, but it sure looks nice.

18 Likes