Mille Monti 1953 [DESIGN VOTING]

Introducing the Phoenix Illusion R 1000M Edition.

11 Likes

Do I have any chances ?

Add images<div data-theme-sl

It’s heavily inspired by the Volkswagen karmann Ghia, it’s my 4th car ever made, what do you think?

11 Likes

My first ever entry to a challenge, the Favora Doriana TS2000:

28 Likes

April 22nd, 1953. XX Miles Away from Meranio…

The time is 4:12 AM when a small car is spotted down the road, as it gets closer, a glimpse of the Mille Monti sticker is caught on the side.

Another challenger is preparing itself for the big race, perhaps we can get a closer look once it reaches the city.

25 Likes
1950 Audax Amigo "Pronto"
PREPARED FOR MILLE MONTI 1953. Ready and waiting, this Amigo is set for its journey across Fruinia.
One of few offerings from the up-and-coming engine builder turned automaker Audax, the Amigo is slowly becoming more common in cities where space is at a premium, and regions where gas prices demand fuel economy. Some may consider it rather sparse, but it has a notable fun factor baked into its nature witha rear-mounted engine, fully independent suspension, and a remarkably low weight. Combined with said engine being a 80 cubic-inch (or 1,300 cubic-centimeters) inline-four, it's an ideal companion for the Mille Monte sporting and touring competition of 1953. Eligible for the 1,300-cc Touring class, it may not be the fastest or most stylish option, but it will surely make the finish line with a sparsely-sipped fuel tank.
Colorized promotional photos
5 Likes

Arlington Condor MM

Because I am absolutely, undeniably done making it.

4.3 pre-Small Block Arlington V8, because it’s 1953.

20 Likes

Final Design of
Varder Spericolato 2000RFG
(2000cc engine + Race + Fiber Glass)

Rate Pls. That was my first 50s-style car body and interior design design
Thanks Very Much

16 Likes

does anyone know where to find this headlight?

It seems I miss a mod or just not looking hard enough

It’s probably an empty headlight cut out with the actual light put in place in 3d as a separate fixture.

It’s this fixture with a patch cover over it for the glass & tape :+1:

4 Likes

I was looking the headlight with bolt on it like jaguar D-Type headlight, I guess I need to make it manually then

Shidley Skidmore 2000 Rapide Cabrio, missing the V8 from its later versions but still packing a punch

8 Likes

1950 Baron 290-SC

Summary

The 290-SC is Baron MotorWorks first sportscar to compete internationally.
Baron, having developed successful machines before the war for local and Trans-Tasman events,
have pushed forward with international competition with this over 2 liter class sports car.

The stepping stone for their tour is the '53 Mille Monti as a means to test their hard work and to showcase
their efforts for those interested in buying top shelf sports car machinery.

Details

The space-frame chassis is made to be both lightweight and accommodating for both the driver and passenger and the various different engine configurations the client may desire for their needs. Local coach builders sculpt and form aluminium sheets into the body seen here, a design focused on plenty of cooling for the power plant within.

For this, the 290-SC, the engine is a 3 liter, 32 valve, single overhead cam, V8 engine. Peppy but mostly centered around drive-ability and a wide, smooth power band that gives confidence to its driver. Behind that is an off the shelf 4-speed manual gearbox that sends power to the rear wheels.

The cabin, while still fairly simple and stripped back, affords some comforts in seat belts and leg padding to ensure that the occupants only worry is the race.

Extra

30 Likes

Images

27 Likes

Does anyone know how and when the public vote take place?

By the way there are some amazing designs. Attention to detail, minimalist and elegant lines, simply look stunning. :star_struck: Looking forward to seeing them all.

2 Likes

Not even I know yet :smiley:

There are many, many late entries - currently 245 cars in total. So please be patient with me. Originally I planned to create my own rating tool. I have not made a lot of progress due to real life, so maybe it will happen in a Google Form (like in previous challenges), although that would be a lot of work to set up, too. If anybody knows a good (and free) online photo rating platform, please let me know :smiley:

What I know is that voting will be split in Touring and Sports, because the cars should be rated with a different focus on beauty / elegance from my point of view. And also to make it easier for you to split the voting into two sessions.

I hope to get done before or during the upcoming weekend, but it is quite unrealistic due to a business trip. Taking the photos alone is a huge task and I have not even half of the field done yet.

The end is near

Thank God, the deadline will be in a bit more than 6 hours! Get your car in! You may have a bit more time after the deadline (probably 6 hours after the official deadline) as I will be asleep. Late entries will be accepted until I wake up and close the floodgates. After that, closed means closed.

Thanks everybody for taking part, I am absolutely blown away by the response!

28 Likes

Not sure if it is helpful, but is there some way community members could assist with anything related to getting the event ready? I know it’s extra work to coordinate volunteers, just wanted to see if I could relieve the load a bit considering all the work you have already done.

5 Likes

Awesome to see SO many participations here!! Sent mine in yesterday. Didn’t have as much time to flesh out the exterior design as for the La Marche challenge, but i’m more confident in the technical side this time.

Short lore about the car:

Mr. Heinrich, somewhat successful trader of construction materials decided to build a car he could take for a drive around his home city’s large central park. Hence the simple name “Stadtparkwagen” - “city park car”. With the occasional help of a friend who knew a thing or two about small boats, a nippy roadster for two people emerged.
The car is constructed out of a steel tube space-frame, clad with extremely thin fiberglass. Annoyingly, the exterior material would tear away from the rivets at “high” (modest) speeds. Thus, thin metal strips were employed to spread the load of the fasteners along the length of the car, giving a very unique visual touch to an otherwise “simple” (bland) exterior.

In any case, taking such a single-purpose private project on a big tour to a foreign country is already a challenge. Entering a competition even more so. The car is built for short (t)rips within the city on sunny afternoons, which brings many implications with it … it has no soft top for storage or driving in bad weather and no wipers either, it’s not built to offer longtime seating comfort or even drive at high speeds for “extended” (any) periods of time. Neither could the two builders figure out a way to fit a spare tire after the fact, but at least they have space behind the seats to strap in some fuel cans and maybe a tool box!

Taking part in the adventure is a life-time dream for its constructors, no matter the result. If they manage to reach the finish line under their own power at all, it’ll feel like winning.

Wishing all competitors a safe travel to Meranio and good luck during scrutineering. :wink:

15 Likes

I think Google Forms might be the best option in terms of being able to shuffle the questions or options in order to mitigate primacy and recency effects. (People won’t have anything to compare the first car to, so it’s more likely to get an average score)

Idk if I’m taking it too seriously but, seeing the amount and time people poured into designing their cars, I believe everyone deserves a fair evaluation. I’m not saying this for my own design, because there are far more beautiful cars and I don’t expect to be competitive on this front. However, if we only have a photo gallery where people can rate the cars they like, simple designs with muted colors might be overlooked due to not having so striking thumbnails.

About processing, I’m sure some people are willing to help you out by volunteering their time. (If you are willing to cooperate / accept help from the participants. Maybe there are non-participants in the wider community (discord or the forum) who’d like to help, who knows)

I can help with the survey design and uploading the images to Google Forms.

Also a bit about the survey design and questions
1 - Ranking each design from 1-10:
Pro: A simple solution that can be done on Google Forms with question order randomization.
Con: It will be hard to distinguish mid-rated designs since the answers will likely follow a normal distribution, many mid range designs will share the same score

2 - Preference order ranking (participants rank the entire list from 1 to 245 in the order of their preference)
Pro: Will represent the communities common preference more accurately
Con: Google Forms doesn’t support it. I’m not sure how well the free tiers of other platforms are suitable for this. I don’t think people will sort and fine tune their preference across 245 cars

3 - Having an online gallery where people rate as many or as few images as they want
Pro: Least effort intensive solution
Cons: Number of the votes per entry might skew towards best and worst perceived designs, having fewer votes per mid range entries. Also not having the same amount of votes per entry might mean that designs with fewer votes can over or underperform significantly if we’re comparing averages. Access restriction might be an issue, people inside or outside the community can spam ratings.

Other solutions have their own issues

• sub-set preference (e.g. where users pick their top 10) will leave many images unranked while having the same issue as the gallery one. Designs that are included in top tens fewer times can over or underperform significantly if we’re comparing averages
  • pair-wise preference (where users pick one preference out of two displayed, for many pairs, like a sports league). This is impossible due to number of combinations (29K+ :slight_smile: ) If we do a sub-set like having people pair-rank 20-50 pairs, might result in a similar problem like gallery or sub-set preference
  • Tournament / knock-off / bracket voting (where choices are randomly matched and participants select their preference from each pair) requires the voting to be done in several steps (if we have 256 entries, 8 steps) Plus if we don’t have 2^n entries, some would have to start from the second round.

Sorry for a very long post. I tried to present some ideas based on my survey/data gathering experience and issues I encountered irl, with the hopes of helping Der Bayer/community to decide. If I had to pick one I guess I’d go with 1-10 scale ranking, although not ideal, it seems to present a balance between feasibility/ease of application, accuracy and fairness.

I can volunteer some time regardless of which option is picked.

11 Likes

Omega Typhon

Summary

somehow my game keep crashing while making poster even though I’ve reduce my game resolution and graphic quality

5 Likes