"Minivans Are Cool" MPV Challenge [Final Results Finally Posted]

And it could make sense to have separate limits for engine and trim ET (esp. if you want to have ample room for people to play within the RQs), otherwise we may end up recreating a field of TG People Carrier Racing contenders instead of one more oriented towards the likes of Espace F1…

Submissions are now open! They close at 0:00 on Saturday, June 26 UTC!

The limits are separate. You get 100ET for the engine, and 100 ET for the car; up to a total of 200ET.

And playing around, I was able to make a V10 with less than 100ET. It’s not perfect, sure, but it can be done (and is a lot of fun). :D

Oh, I have no doubt it’s possible. I just couldn’t use the engine I’d hoped to drop in. So, I did the next best thing and used the next lore-friendly engine design for the company I used as the base.

2 Likes

Alright, that’s fine.

I just didn’t want other people to see that, and get the impression big engines weren’t allowed. Yeah this isn’t a supercar competition, but big engine still means big fun :D

1 Like

I’m having a hell of a time keeping the car ET under 100. My engine I got under control, but am I looking at the right stat? Car ET is the last stat when you’re on any screen from the drivetrain to the suspension, right? I stripped my van down to bare bones and I’m still at 110.4. Am I doing something wrong?

2 Likes

I am also really having trouble with the ET limits. A simple OHC turbo 4 is already way over the engine ET if you do not use negative quality. I’d consider raising the ET levels to around 125 each at least to have actually sportyish options IMO

For the trim ET I had to go full on bottom end—treated/corrosion resistant steel, transverse FWD, strut/torsion bar. On the engine, I managed to work in an aluminium 60° DAOHC V8. The whole thing just squeaks in under the ET limits with use of the quality sliders.

It’s not pretty, but it’ll pass muster.

I agree, it is possible.
But IMO not very realistic, as I can not even rebuild sth conceptually akin to an Opel Zafira OPC - really not the end-all of crazyness - while retaining features an engine/car would have in 2016ish without instabin worthy extents of negative quality.
I did not understand the intent of the challenge to be building a compromized car/engine that suffers in terms of realism. Also fun, but sth different.
For context, CSR 137 hat ET limits of 170 each for a mass-produced sports sedan in the style of an Chevy SS, not the most advanced concept ever.

I apologize if my notes come late, but as noone has submitted yet, I felt free to raise my concerns.

1 Like

A 20-25% increase in engine/trim ET limits (to 120 and 125 for each, respectively) would make sense given the feedback that’s been sent recently.

Also, given the era in which this challenge is set, why not call it the Modern MPV Challenge?

Yeah, I’ve thought about it a bit more closely; I’m getting rid of the Engineering Time limits. They were a good idea, but I think they screwed with the challenge’s design too much. Since @Madrias has already submitted, they gets an extra 12 hours after the main deadline to change their design if they need it.

On the other hand though, I will be requiring at least one muffler and banning 100 RON fuel, to reflect legal regulations.

Happy van building! :D

4 Likes

The 2020 Sinistra Thunder, a minivan for a more modern era. In a world filled with SUVs and crossovers, are minivans still needed? Can they be cool again?

We believe so. This is no ‘normal’ minivan. This is a brutal monster of a van, carrying a special Sidewinder V10, previously used in the 1987-1995 Sinistra Traville Police Interceptor. Tuned by Twin Hearts Racing, this old V10 received a few updates to push it into the modern era. No turbochargers were necessary to get what they wanted from the power plant, leading to a smooth, graceful power curve that makes driving easy, whether on the street or on the track.

Packing a 6 speed DCT, you have the choice between driving in Automatic Mode, for great street handling, or taking it over into Manual Mode, for crisp, aggressive shifts while on the track.

Not feeling so brave as to tame the Thunder’s most powerful version?

There is always the V6. Prices start at $28,900. THR V10 prices start at $49,800.

4 Likes

Is semi-spaceframe ok for minivans?

I don’t know about real life, but for this contest? Sure, go ahead!

The GM dustbuster minivans were a semi spaceframe sort of design (with polymer panels) so it has happened.

5 Likes

Okay… so I submitted an SUV with a similar design theme for an old CSR a long time ago, and it bombed pretty hard. I’m hoping the Van Gang here sees this a little more the way I do:

The stats are typical I guess; around 400 hp, AWD, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. I’m going for more of a luxury kind of sport.

6 Likes

@GassTiresandOil

That’s no van… That’s a lowered SUV!!! Think this in Han Solo’s voice, hahaha!

All that bonnet space is wasted on “looks” when you could be shoving even more people in there! Four rows for the win, hahaha!

4 Likes

(I’m looking at YOU, Chevy Uplander)

4 Likes

Running late to soccer practice? We got you, fam. Meet the 2017 Airman Vandenberg GT8.

4 Likes

2017 Tiffosi Famic CRe

7 People, 7-Speed, 217 HP - Performance all 7 days of the week!

Description

All-new Famic CRe offers room for up to 7 and outstanding performance thanks to its engaging drivetrain which delivers 217 hp to the rear wheels via a 7-speed DSG. Developed by Tiffosi’s CR performance division, Famic CRe is part of CR’s CRe Line finding common ground between sport and efficiency. Therefore, Famic CRe involves the driver while achieving outstanding fuel economy, allthewhile providing a comfortable upscale environment for its passengers.

Car shown in Grigio Monza

5 Likes