NFS World-ish game (Submit your Automation cars!)

Sorry about the double post, but I don’t want this thread to die just yet!
This is how the model is doing now. Yes, I know, it doesn’t look so hot, that’s just because it’s all flat shaded and has no materials ATM. And I know it doesn’t look exactly like the picture, but I don’t want it to anyway.

3D cursor in image = professional

EDIT: Materials:
ad

10 Likes

What a cool hot hatch on serious steroids.

How’s it named and is it based on anything from there? :smiley:

This thing looks wild, with those fat wheel arches and protruding front bumper!

Wheels, model tweaks, and smooth shading!

6 Likes

Are you going to use original data from Automation along the name? I mean performance, cornering G’s etc.

Just so you guys know I’ll use this plugin for car physics:
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/16296
Don’t worry, it’s actually really robust, and cheaper than Edy’s vehicle physics. It can do everything I need it to.
If you want to criticize me for using Unity, just leave.

@Oskiinus Power and performance isn’t actually written as horsepower in the plugin afaik, so I’ll use 0-60 times and top speeds to get the speed part right.
Since I can’t really use the drivability score I’ll just use the weight distribution and tyre type/quality.
Also, if you guys want to submit your Automation cars, it’s probably a good idea to just give me the export file instead of a picture since it has all the car data and stuff.

2 Likes

Using unity!? Who are you!? It’s almost likebylure some guy who just wants to make a game and is doing it alone.
I only settle for AAA quality games with no love put in

2 Likes

Ehm… why? I mean I know there are tons of Unity based asset flips, but the engine itself is a powerful tool which can provide great results if the developer knows what he’s doing. Hell I am regularly playing quite a few unity games myself and enjoy them

3 Likes

Unity does seem to have a terrible rep, possibly because a monkey can make a game using it and consequently, lots of monkeys make games using Unity, so many don’t realize what the engine can do if used properly.

6 Likes

Yeah I know, that’s exactly why I wrote that.

1 Like

Sorry about the double-post, I wanted to bump this.

The game is now being developed in the Lumberyard engine, since I’m retarded and the plugin was a waste of 50 dollars. I have learned my lesson - do it yourself, and you will always know how.

Vehicle physics will no longer be handled by a plugin. I will do them myself. Expect something playable to release mid to late 2018. Sorry for the long wait, I’m a complete beginner, but I will not give up until I make a minimum viable product (drivable cars, races, freeroam multiplayer.)

12 Likes

Hey, you have my respect for keeping at it and not being dissuaded to give up. Developing a game is no small feat.

5 Likes

Hi, @SideswipeBL, I can understand moving from Unity to Amazon Lumberyard, but what prompted your switch from UE4 to Unity?

I looked into these a while back and it seemed like Lumberyard’s up front costs were attractive (free-ish) but could get pretty high after the AWS fees for servers to support multiplayer. At the time, I was worried about getting stuck within a walled garden with the Amazon solution, especially since Azure was cheaper for what I needed (actually, the built-in server for UE4 was good enough if there were only just a few players on the map).

I guess Lumberyard’s lobby system could make things easier in an MMO, and UE4 has had a number of frustrating problems with vehicles as characters. What was your experience that made you change engines?

I tried UE4’s visual scripting but the system was so overly complicated and clearly trying to “innovate” that it took considerable effort to simply make a light turn on within a room when you’re in the room. I couldn’t see myself getting used to its weird node system.

On the other side of the table, Scratch is understandable even to children and while it may not have the same capabilities of Blueprints, the fact that UE4 users recommend just using code and only using Blueprints for testing, I assume UE4 can’t do much more than Scratch does.

The format of Scratch works so much better than UE4’s at least for me, and any decent visual scripting plugin for Unity costs far out of my budget.

Although Lumberyard’s visual scripting system is limited, it should be enough to get a car moving. Then I can move to Lua, which is a much easier language to learn than what UE4 and Unity uses. I know Boo exists, but I didn’t until recently.

1 Like

I guess I can sort of relate, visual scripting just makes it so much easier for me at least when I used to code a bit. Nice to hear you’re still working on it too!

:alarm_clock: Oh?
Looks like it’s B U M P T I M E.

Yeah, anyway, an update on this project. I’m sorry, but I still haven’t done shit. I may or may not have a spreadsheet with over 300 planned cars and maybe 5 actually completed models that I’m proud of. Evidently, writing my plans down will not make me do them. Hopefully next semester in school I’ll learn game design (since I won’t have any motivation to learn programming without the pressure of school) at some level, and if not, I’ll find a summer camp or something that works with Unity or Unreal Engine 4.

With all that out of the way, heres my sketchfab profile which has some canned models in it, and a green car since i might be getting back in the groove.

edit: I’ve suddenly realized that nobody cares or will care, but still, not much harm in bumping a topic like this one where it’s an “”””ongoing’”””” project. There still is a minute chance that this project might bear fruit eventually if I just get off my lazy ass. I’m still 100% for Automationverse cars/companies making cameos.

11 Likes

Hi! Saw Your post today. Do You still work on this project? If so, do You still submit Automation cars?

Lmao no.

1 Like

I get why you stopped work on this long ago - Automation is so different these days compared to just five years ago that any cars made back then are now incompatible.