Nuntius Corporation, Good at being cheap, not so much at everything else

Pretty sure there was

How.

1 Like

This is the 1976 Jeonglyeon Leon (Nuntius Leon for export markets). It was effectively a rebodied Galt Communitasia Mk.I, powered by a barely updated ADM Venturi engine from the 1950s. Production in South Korea ended in 1998, but continued in parts of Africa and central Asia until the mid-2000s.

4 Likes

The 1994 one looks very much like a 1972 (!) Alfasud.
And the headlights-style grille is so hilarious, I am trying hard not to roll on the ground. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Who are you and why are you relevant.

2 Likes

I am the one who’s name you mustn’t spell. :slight_smile:

@Starfish94 @Rk38

4 Likes

Of everyone you could compete with, Auxuras???

3 Likes

With some development help from Maesima and, of course, an outdated IMP chassis, everything is impossible.

1 Like

That’s a lot of lines.

1 Like

Like four of 'em.

Four entire lines.

Reminds me of a 4-series.

4 Likes

Do the moost high tech models have Samsung techy bits because as a south Korean company it would be wrong not to.

2004 Nuntius Excena: Mostly a cheap FWD Commuter car. Mostly.

The first concept was shown in 2001, then powered by a 3.5L V6 driving the front wheels through a 5-speed manual transmission.

The final car was, for the most part, less dramatic. With a simple 2.0L I4 (2.4L in the USA) or a 2.5L V6 (3.5L in the USA).

What no country outside of South Korea got was the Xi-R Twin Turbo. It spiced the regular 2.5L V6 up with two turbochargers and AWD.

6 Likes

Why not use 2.5 V6 instead of 2.4 I4? Anyway, cool “commuter” :slight_smile:

Because the Maesima RKB 2.5 does not pass US emissions and the RKD 3.5 does because it is straight out of the US spec Exedra sedan.

1 Like

Are these years the whole time of the engine usage, or the timeframe for the start of it? Because if the latter, then I might provide 1.7/2.0 16v DOHC I4, which entered production in 1989.

Introduction year. Engine will be powerIng a number of vehicles through the first half of the 1990s. A Single cam engine would be even better for low end stuff , but for “high end” applications DOHC is much needed.

The 1990s was an era when Nuntius went on Raves each weekend. As a result a lot of chemicals were consumed during those days and most cars ended up surprisingly engergetic and sporty at the expense of many practical considerations.

One of those results was a small subcompact sedan called the Hornet. Unusually independent for the class and price bracket was it’s rear suspension. Semi trailing arms were chosen instead of more sophisticated double-wishbone or complex multi-link setups since they were not just cheaper, but their geometry allowed them to induce lift-off oversteer more easily. The Hornet was effectively a car that could be steered using the throttle and, though underpowered in most trims, was quite significantly more fun than similar vehicles.

At launch, three engines from Nuntius own Firefly series were available. A 1.3L Inline three with either a single or dual overhead camshaft and output of 72 or 88hp, or a 1.7L DOHC I4 with 112hp. Each had a 5-speed manual transmission. By 1999 two different engines were added, a Direct Injected 1.7L Inline four Turbodiesel with 85hp from a cooperation with IMP, and a revised version of the Maesima designed 2.0L RKB V6 out of the large Mantis and Exedra retuned for better fuel economy. Both used the same close ratio 6-speed manual transmission originally designed for the Mantis Diesel in 1995. The 2000Vi-R also received wide 225/35 R17 tires on BBS alloys and the Drexler LSD from the Mantis 2000Vi-R.

With 165hp meeting just 1150kg the Hornet Vi-R was quite the pocket rocket. But the 1.7 too had some serious get-up-and-go, even the Diesel could do 0-60 in less than 10 seconds thanks to the ultra-short ratio gearbox and massive torque reserves of 220Nm while returning a combined 4.7L/100km economy.

6 Likes