Nürburg GP-Strecke Circuit

I have this track almost finished. I will update it tomorrow with the LUA file. I had it just how I wanted it, but after making the elevation inputs all of the curves went wrong…so more work is required.

EDIT: So these are finally finished. The single lap is not perfect, so the flying lap exaggerates the errors. It is pretty close though, so I’m done pulling out my hair over it. I did make the sectors on the flying lap a little more balanced by moving it between 1/2 from the single lap locations. Times should be in the 2:15 ballpark for a lap using a moderate production sports car.

GP-Strecke (single).zip (1.61 MB)
GP-Strecke (flying).zip (1.61 MB)

Here are the track images:

Single Lap sectors

Flying Lap sectors

So, will the next be the VLN 24h track? 25+km of “the best track… in the world!”. :smiley: :smiling_imp:

Isn’t that just a 24h race on this track?

Back on topic, this track is turning out not nearly as easy as it seems. Still working on the back straight into the chicane, which is being a real ********************!!!

That is a huge undertaking, especially given the amount of trouble just the GP portion of the course is giving me right now. We shall see…but I have a huge list of requests already, so it definitely won’t be very soon.

To bad they can’t just be “copy/paste” together.
Also, i don’t think the 24 hour track uses all of the GP-Strecke.

Thoeretically they COULD be copy/pasted together (in a text editor, not in the track editor). Problem would be getting the angles right where they are stitched. It would require some work, but not really impossible. To do that, I would need permission to use their track on my track, however. :wink:

So, this is finally finished. Took way too many hours to be even remotely happy with it. Too many subtle curves on this track make it obnoxiously irritating. I ended up trashing the whole thing and starting over this morning because it was just too uncooperative.

Feedback is welcome.

As somebody who has driven well over 500 laps (in simulation form) of this track in a number of simulators, I’ll definitely be taking a look at this one later! Props for getting it done!

I look forward to your feedback! :slight_smile:

[size=50](You’ll probably just make your own fixes, which I am perfectly fine with. :wink: )[/size]

I’ll have to build a reasonable car to benchmark… An M3 E92 is the one I’m most familiar with. Then I’ll see just what kind of cornering speeds are actually possible in race mode lol.

Okay, I’ve tested the track with a number of cars, including a quick-fire replica of a 2008 M3 E92 (6-speed manual version) that relatively closely matches the specs*. The reason I used this car is because BMW released a demo simulator as part of promo for when they released the M3 E90 in 2007 in which you could drive the various trim levels of M3 in a faithfully replicated GP Nurburgring (though at Veedol they used the sharper chicane of the F1 track, as do most of the simulations I’ve played). I must have done like 200+ laps with that sim. I cross referenced my recollection of that experience with onboard laps of the course to see if my impression of the corner speeds was correct. After that, I took my f*** off fast cars around the track to see if they could come in a shave under 2 minutes on a flying lap, which is my general expected benchmark as those were the kinds of times I was getting with the 1400hp+ totally OP tier of cars I was playing with in other sims.

The good news is that everything checks out really well. The only thing I would possibly change, if anything, and it’s not at all necessary, is to make the radius of the fast downhill kink, Hatzenbects-Bogen, wider and with a shallower angle, but that’s only because I like going flat out and grazing the kerb with no regard to personal safety because I’m driving in a sim LOL. In reality, a corner speed of 220km/h in a race car is probably quite reasonable, but I found even the M3 I tested had to lift off, which shouldn’t have to happen. Other than that, while I haven’t checked the elevations strictly, the various speeds indicate this is an excellent job! Thanks so much for taking the time to do it, not least because this is one of my favourite tracks.

[size=85]* 414hp at about 8200rpm is 100rpm off, dry weight of 1580kg, Top Gear track time of 1:25.7 which is 0.4s slower than I hoped, 0-100 in 4.7s which is 0.1s faster than reported and a standing km time of 23s which is 0.3s faster than reported.) I’ve attached the car to the end of this post. Also, I just noticed that somewhere along the line I started calling it the E90. It’s a coupe, it should be E92. Sorry![/size]
M3E90.zip (20.8 KB)

I assume since you posted the car, you won’t mind me using it as my new test car? hahahaha

As for the chicane, I went with the one indicated on the wikipedia page, as I’m really not all that familiar with this track. That damn chicane and the sweeping curve before it was the source of all my woes in making this one, so **** the chicane! :slight_smile:

Test away! I’m happy for anybody to use it should it meet their requirements. It seems to be a pretty popular benchmark performance car and as one of the last generation of M3, it also has some historical significance.

I didn’t know how fast to take the sweeping version of the chicane but I don’t really mind that. I can imagine the long sweeping curve makes it tricky because for some reason inconsistencies between builder and simulator seem to magnify and it can really throw everything off.

At any rate I went through with an ultra high downforce car and one can make it through that sweeping corner at a good 240, but I think nobody would have the balls to attempt to go any faster than that :laughing: best to leave it as it is.

Well, according to this link, Deutschland-GP kompakt, the F1 entry to Hatzenbects-Bogen should be ~269kmh and the exit should be ~278kmh, and slows down to ~95kmh on the chicane. It also looks like they’re using the same chicane I used. I just assumed the tighter chicane was used for motorcycles, as they usually try to slow them up more because they’re so damn fast anyway.

Also, do you have custom content not included in the ModPack on the E92? My time was quite slow compared to my test car. I came in around 2:32, where my production sports car came in around 2:16. (It should be noted my big American sports car is using a much bigger, 6.2L OHV engine) And there’s no wing on the back of the M3? Just curious, hahaha.

That’s right, the M3 E92 might be a sporty version of a sports saloon, but in all honesty it isn’t that blisteringly quick. Even the cornering G figures are in the right ballpark, and I’m using as close as I can get to the correct tyre configuration. On other tracks the times seemed reasonable. That said, the official time for the M3 E92 on Nordschleife is in fact around 8:05, but that’s on the 20600m course and what I assume is a flying lap, meaning of course one has to add a total of 15 seconds or so to that time, and after that this car’s time seems reasonable (though for some funny reason when I run it on the flying lap the time blows out horrendously, I haven’t figured that out yet). So maybe it isn’t up to scratch. I honestly don’t know yet, maybe my suspension tuning was shit haha. I didn’t spend much time tuning it. Also, I don’t know if the rear diffuser plus lip should count as a wing, but it definitely doesn’t have a wing. I don’t know about whether it has an undertray, though… it looks like it might have a semi-clad undertray but I can’t tell from the photos. I did forget to put one on the replica model though!

At any rate, the F1 corner speeds are insane because they run like three or four times more downforce than we possibly can currently! If I tried pulling 250km/h through Schumacher S, I think it would be the sand traps very quickly. And I’m positive the F1 course uses the tighter chicane, it’s possible to go through that at 100 (if you’re in an F1 car, and cut the kerbs like crazy).