PCTC #1: Packbat's Car Tycoon Challege, 1955 [RESULTS]

Okay, the .ods file is attached to the first post. I called it ‘simplified’, but it has the same functionality, so that’s a complete misnomer; it’s simplified in the sense that everything is crammed on one sheet instead of spread out over three. It should work in OpenOffice and anything else that can read OpenDocument Spreadsheet files.

Thank you very, very much. :wink:

Quick question for present and future competitors: would anyone have an issue with my sending their car to Lordred’s Stupid High Resolution Helpline? I’m thinking of doing something with pictures of the winners, and my computer only offers Stupid Low Resolution.

i don’t. and im all up for it.

my computer is only at stupidly mediocre-but-low-ish resolution

Any reason to get pretty pics and more content is something i have no issues with!

Now the dilemma is whether 1 or 2 trims is the way to go, because engineering time is really providing a challenge…

So just to clarify, if I were to make 2 cars using the same engine, engineering time on the engine is only calculated once? So if both cars have a 115 engineering time and the engine is 50 enginnering time, both cars would be considered to have 90 engineering time by splitting on the engine? Or one car considered 115 and the other 65?

First: engineering time for engines is separate from engineering time for models - they’re separate engineering teams at your company. The max engineering time for engines is less than for models because the model engineering team has more people - it’s supposed to represent a linited number of months for designing the entire vehicle.

Second: yes, engine engineering costs are split between trims or models.

i can’t math…

explain that question in simpler terms please?

so if 1 use the same exact engine on 2 cars, the cost of engine engineering cost is only half for each model right?

or is that just the same thing? O_o

*i haven’t slept properly in the last 3 days. sorry if i derped

**updated

The “Engineering Time” thing is a flat limit. That’s how physically long it takes your engineering team to design your engines or cars.

The “Engineering Costs” are split between cars exactly how you expect.

Wait, there’s an engineering time limit for engines? I don’t see that anywhere. I’m asking about the combined 180 engineering time limit, as I have two separate models that add up to more than 180, however, they use the exact same engine (not a different variant, the engine is unchanged). By combining the engineering time of the engine, then the engineering time of Car 1 & engine + Car 2 & no engine adds up below 180, as it’s the same engine already engineered for the other car. If calculating it as Car 1 & engine + Car 2 & engine, it’s over 200.

It’s in the middle of the Entry Restrictions list (emphasis added):

[quote=“Packbat”][ul]
]Up to two entries per company. These may be either two models or two trims on one model. Teams are permitted, but no player may enter as a part of more than one company./:m]
]Bodies and fixtures from the base game and from Pyrlix’s “High Quality Essentials” Steam Workshop Collection circa 2015-12-28 are automatically permitted except Felgen’s “1940’s/1950’s Sports coupe” (which was added to the base game with the latest update). All other workshop mods will be permitted or rejected on a case-by-case basis./:m]
]1955 or earlier on all tabs./:m]
]Engine reliability > 0./:m]
]Engine Family combined Engineering Time < 90.00 (see below)./:m]
]Vehicle reliability > 0./:m]
]Model combined Engineering Time < 180.00 (see below)./:m]
]One factory per Model./:m]
]Sticker prices should be set in the Markets tab./:m][/ul][/quote]

If the engineering time for your model is 115 and the engineering time for your engine is 50, you’re well under the limits. If your engineering time for your model is 179.99 and your engineering time for your engine is 89.99, you’re under the limits. The team that designs the engine is a separate team from the team that designs the rest of the car, so they each get separate limits to engineering time.

Another question, what kind of markup should we set in the market tab? Is it a 10% markup or are we free to choose?

You are free to choose any markup in the markup tab. The higher your markup, the less attractive your vehicle is to buyers and the fewer can afford it, but the fewer sales you need to break even and the greater your potential profit. How you navigate that tradeoff is 100% up to you.

So I can assume that since there’s nowhere to fill in the markup info, you’ll figure that out yourself based on the price and factory information?

The markup (in the form “PriceMultiplier=[number]”) is saved in the trim files. Once the factory size is set, it should show the same price on my computer as it does on yours.

OK,which car is Felgen’s 40s/50s Exotic?

It’s been removed from the workshop since the contest opened, but it was a Porsche Speedster-esque rear-engined body under the name “1940’s/1950’s Sports coupe”. If you still have the mod installed in your game, there will be two such bodies in your list of bodies; I remember that one was placed significantly further forward in the room in-game than the other, but I don’t know which was which.

Whew. That isn’t the one I am using. I remember seeing it in the workshop, but I just couldn’t remember what it looked like.

Glad to hear it - looking forward to your entr(y/ies)!

Bumping this thread with a question: is there anyone interested in entering that hasn’t, and could use more time? I would prefer to have more entries, and I’d be willing to extend the deadline a bit to accommodate them.