QFC14 - Attitude in the Alps

Regarding the CS trim of my entry, here’s a more detailed look at its stats, had I submitted it for this challenge:

In hindsight, this would have been too track-focused for the client’s tastes, so I made an S trim that sits between the CS and base model (premium interior and 8-track player, but still no power steering, and a slightly softer suspension setup, though not as soft as the base car) - its stats are as follows:

I’m not sure if this was enough to win, but at least this specific trim would have been much more competitive - 50 sportiness in 1977 (even with tech pool) would have been quite remarkable. At any rate, I am surprised that nobody else used the Bolide mod body. As for this comment on tire stagger:

For comparison, all three trims of the Archer have a more modest 80-mm tire stagger between the front and rear tires, i.e. the front tires are 80 mm narrower than those at the front. However, the trim I submitted has 225-section fronts and 305-mm section rears - 245-section fronts and 325-section rears (as used on the S and CS trims I made later) would have been more effective.

I submit that it is not the tire stagger that makes costs blow out of proportion, it is top speed going beyond “Z” rated tires that seems to do it.

Riley, your car did 190mph, which is faster than the Z tire rating. That means the tires will have to be custom-made just for your car. Service costs will shoot up (just like supercars do). Your top speed would have bested the Countach by a lot. Hell, it was faster than the fastest car in the world at the time, which research shows was the Gr.5 Porsche 935, at 183mph.

This and the need to use sealed beam headlights (mine are the rectangle type) sorta makes a 70’s early 80’s supercar.

All three trims of my entry (including the one I submitted) could do 185 mph or so, but they all had Y-rated tires (good for speeds of up to 186 mph/300 km/h) - any faster than that and the tire speed rating would have been bumped up to (Y) (in parentheses). That speed rating denotes safe use at over 186 mph (300 km/h), but increases the cost even further compared to a Y- or Z-rated tire (the latter is an obsolete rating used for any tire that can withstand at least 150 mph/240 km/h).

Thank you for contacting me and giving me the chance to cooperate with someone :wink:

1 Like

I am currently building a 90s compact car, you might get it for CSR as deadline is far away in december, so this would be enough time to build a rally variant…

Correct, Automation selects the equivalent modern tire speed ratings (V, W, Y), you can’t control this but it seems to be based on theoretical max capable speed. Electronic limits are useful if available, you can see the service cost dive way down, and the cost of the car itself also drops because there’s a set of those expensive tires on the car to start.

But in '77, those would have been “Z” rated.

For this competition, if it were real-world, we would have been calling out to the tire manufacturers negotiating with them to figure out the technology to get a tire that would work for the car, and co-develop it so our super cars could even exist.

Fascinating stuff, really.

2 Likes

all I am gaining from this is what whenever I do a competition, I am making sure Techpool is not involved at all

Ah wow, not a bad result, GG’s everyone and congrats Maverick!

Yes! Congrats to Maverick!

1 Like

Oh, this is unexpected. I figured my entry would have been too much of a price leader to be truly competitive. So thanks for hosting donutsnail.
But I will be passing on from hosting QFC15, so it goes to @Riley

And this is what I did for techpool if anyone was wondering.

3 Likes

Regarding tech pool, in 1977, assigning 5 points to the transmission tab would have been necessary to unlock the geared LSD. That was one of the few things I did right engineering-wise.

Also, a fully clad undertray in 1977 would have required 4 tech pool points for the aerodynamics tab, but installing it (as I did) will significantly increase top speed.

I think this is an interesting indication how techpool can help make an even higher number of interesting decisions. Being (kinda) underpowered, fully clad helped me out quite a bit whereas with (much) more power, the only noticable thing fully clad could do is push tyre service cost through the roof…

I love what all of you all bring to the table in these challenges…the forum and Discord…

I thought I knew cars untill I stumbled on this site/game/sim, turns out that I didnt know HALF of what I thought.

For me its definitely an on-going process of learning…styling and engineering

Automation and BeamNG are among the lowest priced games ive ever paid for in total and yet…

Automation is what I play the most…(besides Zelda BOTW on the Switch) …sorry Gran Turismo…I really am sorry :disappointed:…I rarely even turn on the PS4 anymore.

I try to recommend this game to all my people and anybody who call themselves “car enthusiasts”. To ME, this is the epitome.

EDIT: Also, I wish we could all get together and RACE these damn cars, I think the ART ONE would kick a couple asses lol

7 Likes

I cannot host but thank you Maverick.

I will pass to @Petakabras

There is some university stuff that needs to get done this week, so i´ll pass it to @AndiD

1 Like

Ok, I’ll think of something over the next few days.

2 Likes

That’s a relief :rofl: as the fifth person

3 Likes

Congrats @Maverick74

I spread the points thin, except to unlock MPFI (and ditching it) and premium cassette player for some reason, before putting the 7 points into tires, to drop the price by 4k or something. Could probably have optimized it a lot

the "impressive" stats sheet IDK

2 Likes

QFC15 thread is up: QFC15 - Cheap and cheerful [RULES DELIBERATION until 10/12]

Well… technically I’m probably going to send a car myself… :point_right: :point_left: