QFC15 - Cheap and cheerful [FINALS OUT]

Oh, sorry. Leaded in the 80s really threw me off.

Luckily Andi did what I would do: As long as it isn’t an advantage, a bin shouldn’t be the only way to deal with it. The other way - using leaded when unleaded is required - would be worse and propably even the most generous host will bin.
Having said that, I was binned twice due to techpool, a feature that is not really to my taste but well, most people consider it interessing.

2 Likes

say WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHERE DID MAH SEATS GO

Techpool can be really annoying. Set it/apply and then exit the car, reload the car. I can prove that if you apply a change and then jump to another tab, it will not keep the change.

It also separates how it updates engine tech and car tech. When I adjust tech points I make sure to cycle through engine and body screens a couple times so that they BOTH update. Otherwise, it won’t update changed engine tech until the next time you load the car (if you stay on the drivetrain or suspension screens, for example).

Part 2: Reviews

After having made the decision to get his first own set of wheels, Stefan sits down with the recent issues of ACAD Motorzeitung, BildAuto and Motor, Wagen und Sport and compiles a list. Stefan then decides to get a second opinion from his friend Harry - who is much more of a car nerd than he is - about his candidates on the long list.

For some reason, Harry suggests to have the talk over the brand new text chat system in their university’s computer labs.

Images shown appear in Stefan and Harry’s mind only, not on the text-only chat system

Stefan> Hello Harry

Harry> Hey Stefan - isn't this new chat system great? We can talk to each other from the opposite side of the campus, and it can do lowercase characters, word wrap and even 80 columns!

Stefan> Didn't we want to talk about cars?

Harry> Right, yeah - so what's the first car on your list?

@Texaslav

STEFAN> First, the Waldersee Attache K16i

HARRY> Good sportiness, comfort, reliability and running costs, average price, not the best safety. Solid looks, and they must have other colours, too.

@Maverick74
STEFAN> Next is the Cambridge Kobold SL 1.7

HARRY> Quite cheap to buy, average running costs, good drivability and reliability. The red stripe elevates the otherwise understated apperance.

@Conan
STEFAN> How about the Gascar 1015 1.6 GTi

HARRY> Cheapest to run and best reliability, but quite expensive and quite low drivability and sportiness.

@abg7
STEFAN> And the AMS Vanga 160R?

HARRY> Good sportiness and running costs, but quite expensive to buy. Below average in the other 2star categories. 15 techpool points left over.

@ACoolCrab
STEFAN> Next is the VF Disco I - 1.9 GTI

HARRY> Very good sportiness, but 2nd highest running costs and 2nd worst comfort comfort, worst reliability and safety. Great looks though.

@Arn38fr
STEFAN> Now the Decarlis D10 Turbo

HARRY> Looks fine, but expensive to run, low-ish reliability, average otherwise.

@Bbestdu28
STEFAN> What do you think of the BMA Compaq GTTi 2.0

HARRY> Among the most expensive to buy and run, worst drivability by quite a margin (38.8). 20 techpool points left on the table.

@Ch_Flash
STEFAN> And the Lesovo Vista GT?

HARRY> Good comfort, but the most expensive car in the field, quite high running costs, low reliability and sportiness.

@crwpitman1
STEFAN> Or the Canmo Sprint?

HARRY> Among the worst drivability and comfort in the field, good safety, average otherwise

@donutsnail
STEFAN> Next is the Stellar Mora RS15 Injection

HARRY> Good to very good stats across the board, fantastic looks - only quite expensive to buy.

@doot
STEFAN> How about the BM 1921?

HARRY> Good sportiness, but highest running costs and low-ish reliability. Average otherwise.

@Happyhungryhippo
STEFAN> Next up, the Globus Stallion 22S

HARRY> Very cheap to buy, but quite average running costs. Third lowest sportiness in the field, decent otherwise. Not the biggest fan of the front.

@Hilbert
STEFAN> And the Veleta Dante 1.8 16V?

HARRY> Among the most expensive to buy and run - not surprising as a convertible. Low reliability and sportiness, otherwise average. 12 techpool points left on the table.

@Jaimz68
STEFAN> Next on the list, the FM StreetSport

HARRY> Great sportiness and running costs, great looks, but not that safe, rather expensive to buy and uncomfortable.

@Karhgath
STEFAN> Maybe the Régal 143E?

HARRY> Okay purchase cost, cheap to run, very good reliability, but not that drivable.

@Knugcab
STEFAN> Or the IP Commuter 1500 Turbo coupé?

HARRY> Above average on reliability and sportiness, but only average in all other areas, and quite expensive to run to boot.

@Lanson
STEFAN> Up next the Siskin 1.8 Sport

HARRY> Best drivability and tied for best comfort, but low reliability. Average purchase and running cost, quite understated apperance.

@lotto77
STEFAN> And the Halvson Newton Quad Valve?

HARRY> Quite expensive to run and lowest reliability in the field. Good sportiness though, average or below otherwise.

@Ludvig
STEFAN> How about the NAV Rimini 1000 Turbo ?

HARRY> Cheap to buy and run, good reliability, not the most drivable, low comfort. The solid visual presence belies the cheap price.

@mart1n2005
STEFAN> Just a few more. What do you think of the Harris 1300 turbo-tronics conversion?

HARRY> Nicely cheap to buy but quite expensive to run. Solid reliability but below average safety and drivability.

@oppositelock
STEFAN> Or the GSI Bantam 1600XS?

HARRY> Quite cheap to buy and run, low on safety, average otherwise. Diminutive in size, but good looks.

@S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T
STEFAN> Next up is the Hinode Coronet GT-Turbo Fastback

HARRY> Very good comfort and sportiness, but second most expensive car, high running costs, tied for 2nd lowest drivability.

@Vento
STEFAN> Maybe the Razor… without a trim name?

Vento

HARRY> Not too cheap to buy and run. Good comfort and best safety though, decent stats otherwise. Not a great looker either.

@xsneakyxsimx
STEFAN> And the Ascot Janissary ES 1.6?

HARRY> Very cheap to buy and run, but low sportiness and very low comfort (8.7) with no remedying performance in the other categories.

@GassTiresandOil
STEFAN> Two more - first the Kessel Vogel Turbo

HARRY> Nicely affordable to buy and run, very comfortable but lowest sportiness among the regular field.

@LS_Swapped_Rx-7

STEFAN> And last is the W****** Luna 134 Sport

HARRY> Why does the brand name appear masked in stars?

STEFAN> Perhaps a new swear word filter in this chat system?

HARRY> Maybe. Anyway, quite cheap to buy, cheap to run, good reliability, quite low on safety, average otherwise. Not the most exuberant appearance if you ask me.

Out of the remaining entries, the following six advance to the final (test drive) round (in order of appearance):

That concludes the review part, stay tuned for the announcement of the winner and the final ranking!

18 Likes

Splitspeed 75/1200 bps? :rofl:

Wow, that was again a very fast host. I expected the first round in a few days.
However I am astonished the “Stallion” (looking at the car, one must actually put its name in brackets), left behind many entries that looked not only visually better, but also very competetive.

I knew my car was fitting perfectly into this, but my rapid coupe-conversion scored better than I have expected. Among the finalists I am reading well-known names that already won the one or other challenge and this makes me somehow proud.
However, I am sure I won’t win because the low sportiness is a concern and the realistic “cheap US car”-styling is something I shot myself in the foot with - ultra-cheap American junk stays basically junk, even if slightly tuned for the EU market.

Techpool? I see no place in the free form to see that let alone adjust that… Or is that a game mod (while I have lot’s of add-ons form the workshop, I have no “mods” that change the game’s behavior)… This one I’m very confused on. Ah-ha - just found it… Didn’t even know about that… :crazy_face: Well, learned something new (like a few other things such as how to apply pillar fixtures).

Sporty of 2 - well, good thing I didn’t submit the super uncomfortable manual car (I wasn’t aiming for sporty - must be the pin stripe). ROFL

Could one even put leaded fuel in a catalyst car (that would poison the catalytic converter)? Meh

And didn’t realize that had to be in the name - I thought it was meant to be in the file name. Oh well, DQ’d is okay with me.

They can be. But grats! And you never know what will happen. :slight_smile:

Me too - the old 70’s relics our family had all had stickers to to use unleaded (to prevent catalyst poisoning).

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THE WICHSEN JOKE IM CONFUSED

Umm… I won’t as it would be impolite and not family friendly… There are translation tools if you really feel that adventurous (though really - don’t bother and just let it go).

my dude that isnt even bad, I have legit seen someone on here say something like “Ignore me, I suck d*ck”

I’m not overly surprised that it didn’t do too well. I think I went a bit too hard on trying to make it as cheap as I could, and it ended up at 7580$ for the estimated price. But it was pretty fun trying it out.

Also, this was my decision for the techpool:

Europe was pretty late on adopting cats, and hence mostly carried leaded gas until the mid 80s.

idk which techpool and quality points would have led to realism bin, i was worried since i put 5 pointes into interior I thoguht that might be unrealistic but idk haha

Sounds harsh on mobile haha

3 Likes

Wow - yea, discovered Canada was pretty late on catalytic converters, though not as late as Europe. But much of our cars got fitted out with 'Merican mandated equipment by default (this also goes the other way - a lot of automakers developed cars with both markets in mind and treat the same as there are parallels and differences in equipment mandates)…

Part 3: Winner and Ranking

In the end, Stefan and Harry visit the dealers of the shortlisted cars and when Stefan gets out of the Wichsen Luna 134 Sport, he says: “Harry, I’ll get this car!”

OOC: The top cars are all very close with very unique profiles - so well done to everyone listed here! I personally would have expected more cost optimisation with purchase price and running costs both being a 3-star option. E.g. half the field had a galvanised steel chassis despite environmental resistance being explicitly excluded, and there were also many heavy duty / forged engine components.

But anyway, here is the

FINAL RANKING (and top 9 for hosting order, if necessary over the holidays)

1. Wichsen Luna 134 Sport @LS_Swapped_RX-7 - A somewhat understated appearance and low-ish safety are the only small flaws here… if we ignore the brand name :stuck_out_tongue:
  2. Stellar Mora RS15 Injection @donutsnail - Easily the most well rounded car in the competition stats-wise… but with a purchase price too steep to be Stefan’s (and his family’s) first choice
  3. Cambridge Kobold SL 1.7 @Maverick74 - Very well rounded, but especially the running costs give Stefan pause
  4. NAV Rimini 1000 Turbo @Ludvig - The cheapest ‘good’ option (9990 DM, 400 less than the 1st place) - but quite low drivability and comfort drag this entry down to 4th
  5. Waldersee Attache K16i @Texaslav - Another good - and very sporty - allrounder, but low-ish safety and again on the expensive side
  6. Globus Stallion 22S @Happyhungryhippo - Very cheap to purchase (1100 DM less than the winner!) but quite expensive to run with otherwise middling stats and a front end requiring an acquired taste.
  7. @karhgath
  8. @oppositelock
  9. @Lanson

Happy to give more detailed feedback to anyone via PM.

8 Likes