QFC22 - Wagon Wheel Whirl [Results]

2005 Karlsson W3X

17 Likes

2005 Veltharen KW472

A rather weird first and only car built by Veltharen, whom collapsed come 2009 and the stock market collapse.

It looks weird, it is even weirder, but people still bought some of them.

$17,200.

5 Likes

It’s already just 24 hours left

I have entries from:
@Hilbert
@Ch_Flash
@abg7
@Conan
@nate21
@mart1n2005
@Riley
@AndiD
@Ducethetruth100
@Machalel
@randomBullets
@Fayeding_Spray
@the-chowi
@Knugcab
@shibusu
@Vento
@crwpitman1

6 Likes
Ias

uhh so we kind of forgot about this

New for 2005
IAS Griffin SEL Spacio

because you definitely need a wagon version of a premium sedan

Featuring sleek lines (which are provided by the body anyway) and a modern style for 2005. Gone are the days of being considered old and manky and an all-round awful person for your complete disregard for the future, because now you’ll be known for being an all-round awful person for your tendencies to hoon around in an inline-six powered wagon that makes less power than most go karts!

Available for 21,700 AMU*
excluding taxes because screw you
pictures

(c) 2005 Idene Aerospace Systems O.T.C. More legalese to follow.
4 Likes

I was unable to get to my computer tonight - training for a promotion at work. Will try to upload tomorrow morning.

This is my entry :slight_smile:

Okay we closed for now, participant list updated
Expect results within 72 hours

7 Likes

patiently waiting for my last place trophy…lol seriously the anticipation is killing me though hahah. i wanna know if i’m doing b etter or not…

Results should be coming in 11 hours or sooner

Just keep on doing these challenges and youll get better. Ask questions, there’s hella people on here willing to help. Designing, engineering…stick with it, hopefully in due time you’ll be where you want to be.

After delegating all garden chores to his sons, Palle spent all day looking at Cars & Spreadsheets.

@Hilbert - Aitlan Trinity Sportswagon 6-speed Turbo:
It’s cheap, looks okay, fairly reliable, has decent fuel economy and plenty of power. But it’s dull and uncomfortable to drive, and didn’t do well in crash tests. Oh and the brakes overheat, maybe not a big deal every day, but not something I want to deal with.

@Ch_Flash - Miller Maple SWi 2.0:
Classic good looks, but a bit underpowered for my tastes. Front suspension is very soft. Slightly above average in many ways, but doesn’t stand out in any way.

@abg7 - AMS Argosy 3.0 V6 S Estate:
High performance and high consumption, one of the more compact offerings. Very appealing as a driver’s car, and still comfortable and safe. Comparatively unreliable. Clean decent looks.

@Conan - AEKI 550 2.4 GLE:
It’s reliable, and has an inline 5, nice. Decent comfort and rustproofing. Lacks a little performance and we don’t love the looks, the rear in particular is a little odd.

@nate21 - Yoshino Mako SW GLS V6:
It looks good and balances engaging driving and performance with comfort. Unbalanced brakes and a tendency to oversteer at high speeds isn’t so appealing though, even if the ESP supposedly keeps it in check.

@mart1n2005 - Valiant Fortis wagon:
A very conservative [but well detailed] looking car, Under the hood there’s a whole 4 liter inline 6 like an old Jaguar, neat. Apart from being a far second on performance, and having the highest top speed, it¨s fairly average. Comfortable but rolls a bit too much.

@Riley - Zephorus Demente:
400 hp V10, hot looks, should just buy this I guess…on second glance, maybe not. A bit of a handful and not particularly comfortable, with an annoying automanual. Insane fuel consumption, would cost twice as much to run a year as some of the others.

@AndiD - Mara Kavaler 2.3 UKE:
It’s a Mara, so of course it’s cheap and reliable. Unfortunately slow and very boring to drive and look at too. Surprisingly it’s also very comfortable. A very sensible option to consider, yes.

@Ducethetruth100 - Axxus Serin 1.8 Sport:
The least powerful car here is [presumably] American, but it’s not quite the slowest. Handsome [D-pillar annoyance aside] and competent, but doesn’t stand out. Many high quality components so it should hold up well over time, particularly against rust. Also considered “surprisingly competent” offroad.

@Machalel - A.G. - Illuminer LT18:
The french are really into automanuals, but this one isn’t too bad. Among the best for fuel economy and safety, midpack otherwise. Nice and swoopy in a fresh french racing blue, but I’m not entirely convinced about the door paddings.

@randomBullets - Luma Wagon I4T:
Looks like a near-production concept cars, those stripes by the tiny headlights, are they functional or even legal? That, and eye-catching color aside, it is sort of appealing. Easy to drive, but below average in other aspects, safety in particular.

@Fayeding_Spray - Veltharen KW472:
Cheapish, but looks very unique. A bit like a speedboat with wheels? It certainly rolls like a boat. Tall but cramped, overpowered rear brakes and no ESP. It’s only above average features is offroading and the rustproofing.

@the-chowi - Karlsson W3X:
It looks great, very futuristic despite the unpainted plastic, not sure I see the point of that but still. A turbo engine that combines high performance with low consumption, an above average car in every aspect except the very high service costs.

@Knugcab - Saarland Siegel Pilger 2.2 DPi:
Bland looks, but in a good, friendly way. It’s one of the larger wagons, yet still very economical. Best in class safety, boring to drive but in all regards a very good, comfortable family car for consideration.

@shibusu - IAS Griffin SEL Spacio:
Very comfortable and easy to drive; a compelling above average package. On further investigation, not the most reliable, and the front brakes are underpowered. A neat and conservative look, nice taillights but the A-pillar rake and mirror integration seem a bit off.

@Vento - xuzL:
Engaging enough to drive, fairly reliable and decent service costs, but falls behind in other categories. And it looks…too unique for our tastes.

@crwpitman1 - Canmo Kestrel Wagon:
The Canmo can do more offroading than most in class, and is considered the sportiest despite mid-field perfomance. Unfortunately it’s also loudly uncomfortable and a real handful to drive with no ESP. An interesting mix of (in)capabilities in in a purposeful sculpted body; taillights a bit overdone.

Some test drives and light-hearted spousal arguments later, it was finally time to pick up the new car:

Winner

@the-chowi - Karlsson W3X
Quelle surprise, the Volvo owner picks the the most Volvo-looking alternative. A good balance of sportiness, comfort and practicality, with a good helping of usable performance. It does look more like 2010 than 2005 with the side shaping, and the service costs are stupid high due to the turbo engine. But according to Palle’s calculations, the unbelievable fuel economy compensates for this, and it gets relatively cheaper the more they drive it…
2 @shibusu - IAS Griffin SEL Spacio
3 @Knugcab - Saarland Siegel Pilger 2.2 DPi
4 @abg7 - AMS Argosy 3.0 V6 S Estate
5 @nate21 - Yoshino Mako SW GLS V6

Thanks for playing

13 Likes

I’ll take 4th considering that the Argosy was more of a sports wagon/estate than a straight family car.

Also, if the entire top 3 is unable to host, I will happily take the reins for the next QFC.

Oh yeah, I’ve managed to make a Saturn.

Didn’t expect to get second place with the mess I submitted haha

I’ll be happy to make an attempt at hosting if the winner isn’t able.

Quite happy with fifth!

1 Like

aayyyy nice!
thanks for hosting, and congrats to the rest of the participants
unfortunately i’m currently unable to host, so i’ll be delegating hosting duties to @shibusu

3 Likes

Third place was better than I expected, congrats to the-chowi!

3 Likes

Thanks for the review man. “Handsome and competent”…hey Ill take that fa sho!!

New QFC up.
First time hosting.

1 Like

Yea I’m glad my design was good :slight_smile: good job everyone!!