QFC25 - PATAGONIA SPECIAL |FINALS|

Length, while there were few trucks that used them around this time period (the Trailblazer namely) it just couldn’t replace what you could do with a V6 in terms of weight saving and weight balance.

Under the hood of alot of trucks and SUVs even to you’ll notice the engine is pushed as far back as possible, shoot the Ford E Vans have the engines halfway inside the cabin.

So again im sure the game will say something else entirely but in terms of realism a V6 or V8 is the way to go unless stated otherwise in the ad that’s posted.

1 Like

I don’t see an issue with I6s here. BMW X5, Volvo XC90, and Jeep Grand Cherokee are right there in the inspirations.

2 Likes

Im not saying that inline engines are a problem, just that they weren’t very popular for full-sized options at the time.

The challenge also ask for towing (even though that stat is weird in game) and youd get more out of your rig if you had a V engine over a inline engine.

Again, i was just trying to clarify to Moroza on what the host might want in terms of realism.

1 Like

Length isn’t a big problem for full-size trucks. The reason we saw less trucks with such engines starting in the 1980s is because V6s were more useful in terms of sharing parts with cars, compact trucks, SUVs and so on. Knugcab’s own configuration is apparently supposed to mimic a Nissan Patrol; it did exist, did use an i6 and it still sold fine. It was a huge one, too.

5 Likes

I got to add onto the fact that trucks/SUVs here may need an extra 1K to the 24K budget as it simply a matter of just how strenuous the task is without some sort of compromise being placed on all of us. This would either force some people to make the cheapest station wagon fitted with a lift kit or a bare bones commercial truck stripped of many luxuries. Plus, power is really hard to make without breaking the bank or the other stats to pull such a feat.

Depends on what you mean by “full size” (a term I generally dislike, as it implies that anything smaller is incomplete). Dodge Ram 2500 and up were - and are - mostly powered not only by an L6, but a particularly large one: a 5.9 or 6.7l whose long block weighs some 1100lb.

Starting with the Isuzu NPR series (6BD engine), trucks bigger than a Ram 2500 are even more likely to have an inline 6. Not a petrol one, though.

Also, many Ford F150 and E150 used the 300 L6 until 1996, the latter shoving it halfway into the cab. Good engine, way more useable power than its official ratings would suggest. I have one in a 2-ton 1973 Ford package van. You wouldn’t think that 115hp (when new) could move a 12000b GVWR truck very well, but it’s perfectly usable. I’ve heard of people routinely towing 15000lb GCVW with that engine, so @Texaslav has a solid point that the towing requirement, as implemented by the game, doesn’t work, as much as it suits the premise.

2 Likes

Should tire widths end in a 5 and do our entries have to have license plates from Chile?

Very true, the term can be a hard one to pin down but I think to clear up any confusion with the host we would have to put in the ad what makes our entries special.

This is my 2nd QFC, so i hope my entry this time around i’ll do much better

It means a traditional light-duty truck as built in the United States. F-150, so on. This includes both the 1500 and 2500 class. Anything smaller is incomplete in relation to it - and when compact and midsize trucks appeared in the US, they were basically a compromise that sacrificed towing capacity, interior space, and bed size (not too sure on that, I don’t know my standard bed lengths) - in an attempt to gain fuel economy.

You are right that the Ram 2500 uses straight-six engines - diesel ones, though. And they are an exception in that sector: the other two big-three manufacturers have always used V8 diesels for the same niche.

Yes, and they in turn are incomplete compared to a medium-duty, and so on. The term is arbitrary and psychologically manipulative - advertising suggesting that only something in that size class is adequate, satiating, full.

The “mini” trucks tend to be way better off-road. One could just as well argue that the bigger rigs have less than full off-road ability.

Correct - bed sizes took a hit, and are remarkably consistent across manufacturers.

“Compact” standard bed: 5x6’ (Nissan 720, Toyota Tacoma and pre-Taco not-Hilux, Ford Ranger, Chevy S10, Mazda B-series…)
“Compact” long bed: 5x7’
Oddball: 1983-1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max aka Dodge Ram 50, 5x6.5’
“Full size” standard bed: 4’ between wheel wells, around 6’ overall width, 8’ long. The selling point was to be able to lay standard sheets of plywood flat. Ford F-150 through F-350, Dodge D/W150-W350, GM C/K 1500-3500.
“Full size” long bed: 9 or 10 feet.

My 1985 Nissan King Cab has a 6 foot bed IIRC so not too shabby, but sure, it tows no better than a passenger car from the era (at least not legally, and the 72 hp diesel would not be much fun there anyway), and the interior space more or less reinforces racial stereotypes about asians… :roll_eyes:

But a medium-duty is typically reserved for commercial use, and has been for a while now. Full-size trucks were, ironically, the ‘smallest’ size on the continent for a while unless you count the very much incomplete coupe utilities (Ranchero; El Camino). The term is set by historical and use-case precedent - and while you can argue that it’s arbitrary by engineering standards, it is not so if you paint the full picture. Moreover, full-size light-duty trucks remain the best-selling type of truck in the States, and you don’t stay there by psychology alone. It’s still the size class that satisfies an individual truck user best.

I understand your gripes with industrial and historical convention, but I do not share them.

That’s a good point, at least regarding vehicles not just available but also produced here; from the 60’s until 1982, Japanese “less-than-full-size” trucks were increasingly encroaching on the domestics, though size was only one of several factors. Captive imports started in… 1975? (Ford Courier, Chevrolet LUV, Dodge Ram 50 and Plymouth Arrow) while true American compacts debuted in 1982 (Chevy S10) and 83 (Ford Ranger).

It becomes to some extent a self-reinforcing designation, perpetuated in part by market and legislative practices, not just practical function. Regarding trucks, it’s more clear-cut as you point out. Regarding cars, a lot less so. In any case, AFAIK only the US and Canada use the term “full-size” or similar.

And regarding Chile, where this scenario takes place…? How do they refer to different size classes?

Reading over the op I dont think it would be fair to have SUVs and Pickups compete next to Utes and Lifted Wagons? Wouldn’t the Utes and Wagons have an advantage over SUVs and Pickups, especially since the tow stat isn’t accurate at all in game.

1 Like

TOWING CAPACITY requirement is being dropped. It will be replaced by the utility as a priority along with practicality. I am also going to propose a minimum value for the utility of 45.

Because of me not understanding fake diesels and not knowing ways of exploiting them, fake diesels are not going to be accepted.

In the rules it is stated that SUVs and Pickups are preferred. I don’t want to exclude people who don’t like making SUVs and Pickups, therefore they are allowed to enter with utes and lifted wagons that fulfill given requirements. Somebody asked if they can enter with an “offroad-y” van and while I can allow those I don’t think that Lando is willing to buy it over a stylish Infinity FX45.

Please monitor the changelog, all other important changes will be mentioned there.

7 Likes

FYI The towing capacity requirement is still in the OP.

Additionally, 50 practicality is a bit high for that. I haven’t made enough test mules to give another value to put there, but I suggest something lower than that by maybe 5-10 or so points

Oh not this again… Pretty much anything you can do in the game (except for floating 3D elements) is realistically possible, that’s why there’s no need for a rule saying you can’t do things that aren’t possible in the game, and that’s what this “physically realistic” boils down to. “Historically realistic” just improves the immersion in the fantasy of real manufacturers competing here, just from an alternative world. IDK about you, but for me that’s a more enjoyable fantasy than theoretically-possible-made-real-without-reason-or-sense.

And there’s still definitely plenty of room to get creative when the host is not overly strict on that realism (“Toyota realism” I’d say, which I don’t like either).

@Sol-Apollo I6 too long? In what, a big SUV? Can’t see a reson for that. Land Cruiser with a 4.5 I6 sends regards. Even the “Toyota realism” says it’s ok :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

psst… Patagonia is misspelled

1 Like

Patagoina lol

Oh yes, this again… I’m tellin’ ya, it’s going to keep happening until there’s a nice big sticky thread explaining challenge types, rules, and expectations. Shouldn’t rely on word of mouth. I made an honest, good faith effort to find and follow all those, and still ended up instabinned in CSR154 for what would’ve been obvious had it been stated clearly.

Yes, I agree that for historical fiction, historical realism is appropriate. It just needs to be spelled out.

2 Likes