QFC31 - Plumber's best friend (FINAL RESULTS OUT!)

How many horsepower does it have? The acceleration shouldn’t be absolutely glacial either; try aiming for under 20 seconds 0 to 60.

I never said you couldn’t, or shouldn’t, go higher. It was rather a benchmark you should try to not aim lower than. A 200 mph top speed wouldn’t be seen as an advantage compared to 100 mph though…

My first job when I arrived in FRG was truck and delivery driver, and awfully slow vehicles were a P A I N to drive, so the penalty is accurate. I remember driving a Hanomag Henschel and a VW T2a van which both ruined my nerves. The old Kaelble truck was even worse.
The fastest I had in 1982 was a Renault Master, Brand new with a 2.5 Diesel and that thing managed only 120 kph…

3 Likes

Is there a maximum for the RON/AKI number for the fuel?

91 RON is regular unleaded and 92 leaded IIRC, but if I use RON numbers someone would complain that they run AKI so just go by what the game calls regular.

Or, do you mean changing octane by the timing slider? Since I have never really understood how that affects things, I would prefer if you leave it untouched…

The raw number itself, I never touch the timing slider underneath it. And I think in general AKI is ~4 points lower than RON so AKI 87 I think.

Well, if the game calls it “regular” it is the right kind of fuel.

2 Likes

Advancing the timer increases power and lowers reliablity and decreasing the timing increases reliability and lowers power

1 Like

One question about the rules - why is 70s safety required if safety is a one-star priority? I recall you saying in the Trafikjournalen thread that vehicle safety legislation in Sweden didn’t really begin to be taken seriously until the 90s.

I think you remember wrong there, already in 1969 there was a bunch of (for the era) relatively stringent safety regulations added, however, not all of them applied to light commercial vehicles. Though, it is mainly a way to keep cheese down. Basic 70s safety is still rather sparse, and should represent what even commercial vehicles sold in the west had by 1981, and since mass plays a huge part in how Automation calculates safety, it would be a bit too easy to just skip on the cost for safety, make a huge and heavy vehicle and still get an acceptable score for that 1 star priority. It will be kept as long as nobody can give me a good argument why requirements should be lowered there.

We’ve been repairing a lot of postal vans at work, so I was thinking of making a postal van challenge if I ever win. That is unlikely so this will probably be as close as I get - lol.

1 Like

@Knugcab Is there a minimum size for the cargo area??

• Added cargo space as a priority
  • Clarified about tyres and legacy bodies

Regarding cargo space…
I don’t want to set a minimum there (since a too small one will probably affect rating badly anyway). However, I guess I have to come up with some kind of weighting here. Sooner or later you will get to a point where more cargo space ain’t necessary, and a ridiculous amount shouldn’t be enough to do a clean sweep, and I haven’t checked out all the bodies there…

Will you be looking at cabin space and cargo space or the physical size of the car? idk how real big vans have the same cargo capacity as smaller ones so idk if a bigger van would be advtnageuos? @Knugcab

Just don’t think too much about that. A challenge is about trial and error. No real life car manufactor knows exactly what the people want. And the results of marketing surveys arent better than what is already given as hint.

1 Like

A bigger vehicle would probably have an advantage when it comes to cargo space. A bigger vehicle will also drink more fuel and lose some maneuverability, if everything else is equal. What would be the most advantageous to win? I don’t know, and that’s kind of the point.

Does cabin space also contribute to cargo space idk what the cabin space stat means :sweat_smile:

Cabin space stat is the room for passengers. Uninteresting as a single stat in this case (but it affects comfort, which could be kept in mind).

I suggest playing a little around with the size and shape and see what it does to your scores. That’s the whole fun in challenges.

2 Likes

is there a rough load amount the van will be holding? and how are you looking at utility brake fade?

For example if we make a van that can hold 2000kg but in use it’ll only hold 500kg then the probably huge brake fade the game shows won’t actually matter

edit

in fact using leaf springs basically makes the load of any vehicle huge, but basically every vehicle of this type in real life would be using leaf springs