QFC45 - Winged Warriors [RESULTS]

I dont know about anyone else, but i’m finding it really hard to get fixtures to do what I want and make something that looks both suitable and “not ugly” :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Alright, I think that’s most of the issues worked out. Challenge now open

2 Likes

1970 Lafayette Sebring 427

Drawing aerodynamics know-how from the aerospace industry, Lafayette engineers have developed their own aero car for the 1970 NASCAR season – the brand-new Sebring 427. A tapered nose with an air dam, as well as a tall rear wing – placed at the roofline for clean air – contribute to low drag and improved high-speed stability. A 427 cubic inch V8 sits under the hood, launching the Sebring road car to a 182 mph top-speed.

15 Likes

1970 Vidar Excalibur 400

What do you get when you cross our class-leading sportscar with the most powerful 400cui muscle-car engine we’ve ever produced?

Something very special

• 400 cui
  • 400 HP
  • under 3200 lbs
  • over 170 mph top speed
  • superior aerodynamics
  • high-performance sports suspension
  • leather sports interion with premium AM radio

Photos

6 Likes

Automobiles Franco-Américaines presents the Vitesse N70

This was an attempt by a wealthy French Nascar enthusiast to compete in said category. The car didn’t sell well and the company entered bankrupcy before the car got to race.

ngl this is kind of a piece of shit, but I didn’t have the time to make something better

4 Likes

1970 Vermilion Daredevil Wingspan 427

Vermilion Motors LLC is a company with emphasis in performance, founded by race car driver Trevor Finn and car mechanic Harry Lafayette in 1927. The Vermilion Daredevil Wingspan 427 is no exception when it comes to high performance.

With sharp aerodynamics, and powered by a 427-cubic-inch V8 producing 415 net horsepower (500 gross horsepower) and 405 lb-ft of torque, the car can slightly exceed 186 mph (300 km/h).
The sharp front nose, combined with the huge rear wing, can ensure the muscle car survives in straight lines and long curves. The car is specifically built to become a competitor for the 1970 NASCAR season.

The 1970 Vermilion Daredevil Wingspan 427 is a muscle car that uses the first-generation Daredevil (1966-1970) bodywork, with lower front-end hood, and also keeping the twin stripes found in the regular version of the car.

Although the regular, first-generation Daredevil has a 427 engine that makes 405 net horsepower and 440 lb-ft of torque, this 427 V8 engine used by this car is based on a different and cheaper engine block (named Sheer Power OHV V8), because unlike the normal block (Dinosaur OHV V8 Series II), which capacity goes up to over 8200 cc, this engine block goes up to 7000 cc, which the 427 uses to its fullest.

More screenshots

Few notes

Compared to the other competitions I’ve seen around, it feels like this one had kind of short time to send the competitor car, because I usually see competitions which the deadline ends after a month before the competition is revealed, but this one was like just a bit over two weeks. And also, I was kind of busy in the last few days, so I’ve only recently noticed that this competition existed. And I’ve also struggled to make the car to fit under the rules, especially the max price, but that’s okay, at least I hope I’ve made the car to fit under the rules.

Edit: I see now that QFC means “Quick Fire Challenge”, I didn’t know about that.

9 Likes

that’s why it’s the Quick Fire Challenge :wink:

3 Likes
15 Likes

I see what “QFC” means now. Thank you for clarifying about that.

Saberin Motori
Sabersprint Rapiere Tipo N-S

(design and ad mostly by @shibusu, engineering and photography mostly by @moroza)

4.1 seconds to 100. 400hp, 5.6-liter SOHC flat-8.

The Saberin Sabersprint Rapiere Tipo N-S is a collaboration between the Soaura Works division of Saberin and Norðwagen. Looking to improve the image of the brand from small, pathetic but zippy sporty cars, and having found deficiencies in their own line of V-8 engines disallowing the performance stipulated in the design concepts, Saberin contacted engineers at Norðwagen, who procured a light, compact and highly performant flat-8 engine, at 400 (metric DIN-standard) horsepower, while weighing 213 kilograms, even with a long free-flowing exhaust system and reliably built parts.

Lightweight construction (1275kg) combined with wide, grippy tires have resulted in an extremely fast vehicle, reaching nearly 260km/h, and rear-engined layout resulting in additional grip on the rear wheels, allowing a sprint to 100 in a mere 4.1 seconds, assisted by a limited-slip differential. With a four-speed manual transaxle, both strong and light, it is fun to drive anywhere. While the original Tipo N was a relatively relaxed muscle car, the Tipo N-S is designed to carve corners as adeptly as hauling down a staight. Though not as forgiving of novices’ mistakes, in skilled hands the Rapiere Tipo N-S is a formidable track weapon, the rear engine position offering three important advantages for racing:

• Exit corners earlier and faster. Just don’t lift.
  • Arrive at the next corner sooner, due to less weight from a shorter drivetrain and exhaust.
  • Brake harder and later into the next corner. Just don’t steer (much).

Despite its athetic credentials, comfort remains reasonable, as is usual with Saberin’s performance department.(QFC29 - MOAR POWARRRRR! - #70 by xsneakyxsimx). Just don’t ask about fuel consumption; the car is better understood in Smiles Per Gallon.

9 Likes

I assume something broke on your CSS because this is borderline unreadable lmao

1970 Miller Mamba RT/O 351

The performance version of the Mamba with a OHC 351 V8, unique slooping front, a big wing and radial tyres.

Gallery

Hmmm. just realised, the wheelbase is a bit to short on this body…

12 Likes

1970 Capable Kolondra Hepping

This is product of collaboration between Kolondra and Capable, where Capable was responsible for design and Kolondra for engineering

Pictures are made in workshop, as my colleague insisted on checking it all over again before presenting it to officials

Reliability rating is 74.9 so it shouldnt ACTUALLY require this kind of activity that often.
Its propelled by 7 liter pushrod V8 with 4 barrel carburetors pushing 354.5 hp.

This combined with its 4 speed manual and 1419 kg of mass, propels it to 100 kmph in 7.55s and it can get to 293 kmph

Or atleast that is the case according to data i have
We are hoping to do well

Capable: @Vento
Kolondra: @MrdjaNikolen

1970 TBC Arbiter

Feast your eyeballs on this slick two tone coffee & cream paint job. Popout headlights, outta sight, cuts through the wind like butter in the daytime. Get ready to be surprised at how much grunt you get from the 277ci V8 motor. What’s an overhead cam? Don’t worry about it, just give it some gas. These wheels have stripes and a rear spoiler man, of course it’s fast. Not only is the weight distribution positively groovy, we managed to package the whole thing in less than 2800 lbs of metal. Still, it’s solid in the right places, no need to freak out if a bonehead wants to rub your bumpers.

In the TBC Arbiter, you decide the outcome of your drive. You are the wheelman, man.

9 Likes

Lightstar Hyperion Aero Edition 1970

2 Likes

Paige Cypress Darlington

A new generation of Paige’s intermediate Cypress was introduced in 1970. In small ways, the basic Cypress was already designed with aerodynamics in mind, sporting a steeply raked, steeply curved front windshield and a narrow, tapered tail. But for the purpose of NASCAR homologation, a low-production Darlington model was produced with additional changes to improve aero.

The most obvious change from the standard Cypress is in the front end. A prominent lower front valence extends long and low beyond the upper fascia, with cladding beneath and numerous air intakes at the front collecting air to feed the radiator. Once lowered to competition spec, the prominent lower air dam collecting air greatly reduced the amount of air able to get underneath the car. This also rendered the Cypress’s standard front grille redundant, so a new front “grille” was put in its place. Raked slightly rearward, this new grille was actually just matte black paint: a false grille solely to increase styling resemblance to the standard car. No openings are found in this “grill” besides the doors for the hideway headlamps. Further improving the aero of the front end are twin air extraction vents located on the uniquely forward-hinged hood. After the air passed through the radiator, it would be ducted to these air extraction vents rather than caught in the engine bay of the car. Air for the engine would be collected by a large and efficient cowl induction vent.

At the rear of the roof of the Darlington, a small wing extends slightly over the rear glass. While this wing does not produce downforce in and of itself, it was designed to reduce separation down the rear fastback, reducing drag and improving efficiency of the moderately sized trunk-mounted rear wing.

Aside from the rear wing, the rear of the Darlington is unchanged from the standard Cypress, as is the running gear. While numerous options were available, including the dual-quad aluminum head 427ci V8 used in the race cars, all of the Cypress’ engine options could be ordered in the Darlington, even basic 6 cylinders. Under the hood in this example is the more common Turból 420ci HO V8 producing 375 gross HP, paired to a Muncie M-22 4 speed transmission and a speedway-friendly 2.72 Lok-Grip coil-sprung rear end and optional sports suspension tuning.

14 Likes

Westland Stratosphere 400

Made as a promotional stunt for the all-new for 1970 Stratosphere coupe, the Stratosphere 400 “Big Hoss” is an aero-focused, all out and aggressive take on the modern american muscle car. Casting aside the tired tradition of a ladder frame and a solid rear axle, the Stratosphere delivers in exciting corner hugging performance in a way few muscle cars can. An aero focused approach was taken to every detail of the car, bringing back the B Pillar to meet an enormous wing, and covering the majority of the grill for better aerodynamics while extending both the front and rear overhangs. Optional enormous rear tires have you set for the strip or the oval, assuming your pockets are flush enough to keep the rubber on.

16 Likes

Well that’s certainly a spur of entries at the end there. Challenge closed, judging will be as quick as I can get it out.

3 Likes

( @happyfireballman )

1970 Rhania Grumblebee
by HappyFireBallMan

Click for more

HappyFireBallMan has lost access to his forum account. I had no part in the engineering or design of the Grumblebee, but I did take the photos. Moroza did provide some help with engineering, but it isn’t an official collaboration, as he did drop out.

5.3 liter (322 CI) V8, 4 barrel carburetor
(388 hp @ 6900RPM, 7500 max. recommended RPM)

4 speed manual

P245/55R16 front and rear tires

Awesome front “stinger”

3 Likes

QFC45
Judging

14. Vidar Excalibur 400

@machalel

• Driveability: 43
  • Sportiness: 17.9
  • Comfort: 5
  • Top Speed: 171.5 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 6.24 seconds
  • 200m Gs: 0.791 G

The Vidar Excalibur 400 ranks last, largely due to horrible comfort and sportiness. Its top speed and 0-60 mph time are competitive, but it struggles with cornering force. The styling was a bold move but unfortunately it didn’t pay off.

13. Capable Kolondra Hepping

@MrdjaNikolen & @Vento

• Driveability: 41.7
  • Sportiness: 10.8
  • Comfort: 5.6
  • Top Speed: 181.3 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 7.55 seconds
  • 200m Gs: 0.682 G

This car offers decent driveability but falls very short on sportiness and comfort. Despite having one of the highest top speeds, its acceleration and cornering force are underwhelming. It’s styling is also the worst of the bunch.

12. Vermilion Daredevil Wingspan 427

@Flingang

• Driveability: 42.3
  • Sportiness: 12.2
  • Comfort: 11.5
  • Top Speed: 184.4 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 5.8 seconds
  • 200m Gs: 0.753 G

The Vermilion Daredevil has the highest top speed of any car, and has a respectable 0-60 time, but its lower comfort and poor sportiness affect its overall ranking. It’s helped in the looks department by the big stripes and general cohesion of the car.

11. HBC Cheetah SS

@fabiremi999

• Driveability: 39.4
  • Sportiness: 25
  • Comfort: 15.4
  • Top Speed: 160.5 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 5.89 seconds
  • 200m Gs: 0.842 G

Similar to the Vidar Excalibur 400, this car has some sportiness and a good 0-60 time, but its lower top speed and design holds it back.

10. Rhania Grumblebee

@happyfireballman

• Driveability: 38.3
  • Sportiness: 28.1
  • Comfort: 16.8
  • Top Speed: 166.3 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 5.41 seconds
  • 200m Gs: 0.786 G

The Rhania Grumblebee offers solid sportiness and a good 0-60 time. However, its lower driveability and top speed impact its overall performance. It’s also the heaviest car of all, weighing almost 60kgs more than the next heaviest.

9. A.F.A. Vitesse N70

@Danicoptero

• Driveability: 40.3
  • Sportiness: 21.5
  • Comfort: 11.4
  • Top Speed: 177.5 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 5.93 seconds
  • 200m Gs: 0.815 G

The Vitesse N70 balances sportiness and comfort, with good top speed and acceleration. Its overall performance is commendable but not exceptional. Average everywhere, also the car that comes closest to the average score.

8. Labyrinth GTN

@KSIolajidebt

• Driveability: 52
  • Sportiness: 19.7
  • Comfort: 10.1
  • Top Speed: 152.8 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 7.74 seconds
  • 200m Gs: 0.793 G

The Labyrinth GTN shines in driveability but falls behind in comfort and everything to do with the speed tests. The design is stunning and that’s what saves it from being further down.

7. Bergmann Intrepid

@ldub0775 & @AMuteCrypt

• Driveability: 39.3
  • Sportiness: 24.8
  • Comfort: 23.1
  • Top Speed: 172.7 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 5.99 seconds
  • 200m Gs: 0.772 G

With high comfort and sportiness, the Intrepid is well-rounded, though it lacks in acceleration, cornering force and driveability. It does have the highest reliability (77.2) of the group though.

6. Hyperion Aero Edition

@Elouda

• Driveability: 50.1
  • Sportiness: 40.3
  • Comfort: 13.7
  • Top Speed: 173.4 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 4.13 seconds
  • 200m Gs: 0.815 G

The Aero Edition excels in sportiness and acceleration, offering a strong all-around performance with high driveability. However, really I should’ve binned this for realism cheese (5spd, dwb rear, rear engine. The main offense though was dohc), but it’s a QFC im not sure I could do that, so heavily docked points it is.

5. TBC Arbiter

@Ananas

• Driveability: 52.6
  • Sportiness: 32.6
  • Comfort: 23.3
  • Top Speed: 161.1 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 5.43 seconds
  • 200m Gs: 0.875 G

High driveability and cornering force make the Arbiter competitive, despite its lower top speed. Could’ve been a winner had it not been for the looks not being up to par.

4. Saberin Rapiere Tipo N-S

@shibusu & @moroza

• Driveability: 38.1
  • Sportiness: 40.1
  • Comfort: 14.2
  • Top Speed: 161.4 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 4.09 seconds
  • 200m Gs: 0.892 G

This car stands out in sportiness, top speed, and acceleration, though its lower driveability and top speed is noticeable. A very interesting take on the engineering, only let down by the driveability, otherwise a very menacing car.

3. Lafayette Sebring 427

@the-chowi

• Driveability: 42.2
  • Sportiness: 27.5
  • Comfort: 10.9
  • Top Speed: 182.1 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 5.84 seconds
  • 200m Gs: 0.833 G

The Sebring 427 offers a good balance of sportiness and driveability, with solid top speed and cornering performance. It’s also gorgeous, I just wish the front face was a little more interesting. Also the only car to not use the full price, at $19,500.

2. Westland Stratosphere 400

@Kyorg

• Driveability: 48.3
  • Sportiness: 30.3
  • Comfort: 14.1
  • Top Speed: 164.6 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 5.45 seconds
  • 200m Gs: 0.871 G

With high driveability and sportiness, the Stratosphere 400 performs well in most categories, though its top speed is lower than average. A cool car to look at, just outdone by first place because of it’s low reliability and high svc.

1. Paige Cypress Darlington

@donutsnail

• Driveability: 48.6
  • Sportiness: 19.8
  • Comfort: 18.9
  • Top Speed: 164 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 5.84 seconds
  • 200m Gs: 0.806 G

This car balances driveability and comfort, with decent sportiness and handling, making it a well-rounded choice. Styling is also good, but the tipping point is the second highest reliability and cheap svc.

:trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

:trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

Summarised rankings
  1. donutsnail
  2. Kyorg
  3. the-chowi
  4. shibusu & moroza
  5. Ananas
  6. Elouda
  7. Ldub0775 & AMuteCrypt
  8. ksiolajidebt
  9. Danicoptero
  10. HappyFireBallMan
  11. fabiremi999
  12. Flingang
  13. MrdjaNikolen & Vento
  14. Machalel

Couple notes about the competition, the rules were obviously tricky at first but I think they ended up a nice middle ground. There was those who did their research and those who didn’t. I am aware that it’s not possible to get solid axle with certain engineering choices but that’s what it is, a choice.

ANYWAY, I had fun hosting this one actually and I’d like to think with the amount of effort some people put into this qfc they enjoyed it as well.

QFC45 over and done in just over 2 weeks :saluting_face:

(Copy of QFC45 Hosting - Google Sheets)[Spreadsheet]

Written with the help of ChatGPT, any resemblance to the dreams of real people is entirely unintended, I hate spreadsheets and people who can't finish their challenges!!!!
19 Likes