Road Kings (Subs Closed, Review Time)

Glad to see some crossover style builds join the party, @Happyhungryhippo and @abg7! Should be interesting to see the comparison/tradeoffs between the crossovers and the more truck-style builds.

Keeping with the challenge lore, could you imagine yourself transitioning from a 1982 body on frame K2500 Suburban to a 2003 unibody crossover like a RAV4 or a Rogue? Even the Explorer kept body on frame until 2011.

3 Likes

I transitioned from a French Compact MPV to a small 4 seater hatchback, so yes, I could image that.

An MPV is not the same

It would probably be like night and day. But I feel like this was an interesting time when people were cross-shopping very traditional body-on-frame, solid rear axle SUVs (e.g. Chevy Tahoe, Dodge Durango) with some of the earlier larger crossovers (e.g. Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Lexus RX) and SUVs that were kind of in-between with body and frame construction but “car like” fully independent suspension (e.g. Ford Expedition, Mercedes M Class). I feel like there were a lot of families cross-shopping these different types of designs as “cooler” alternatives to minivans, and I remember seeing a lot of these different types of SUVs in my school carpool line. I actually remember riding in a Highlander, Suburban, and Durango around this timeframe with different friends.

That said, I wonder if people buying the crossovers were more likely to be transitioning from a minivan or station wagon than from a 1982 Suburban? It seems plausible, even though I don’t really have any data to back it up.

And of course, for those who want to stick with a real truck like a 1982 Suburban in this Automation universe…they can always buy a Blue Ridge!

2 Likes

It would definitely be night and day, even if it was '82 Suburban to an '03 Suburban.

Megocom Balst BM

Fun fact: That was same model but different year and was rally race version. That model was from realllllly old automation version.

3 Likes

Dalluha Coach & Motor Works presents the…

2003 DCMW Qabiruz

(Six Standard trim shown)

Engine: 6.0L straight-six diesel, naturally aspirated, direct injection, mechanical Borsch distributor pump with dual-state fuel valve (“zero-wire” diesel). 300hp @4000rpm, 456ft-lb @2800rpm.

Driveline: six-speed manual transmission, two-speed transfer case, front and rear differential locks

Suspension: air-assist with automatic load-leveling and manual off-road raised mode, twin-tube dampers, double-wishbone front and multilink rear

Capacity: six premium, full-size seats with generous legroom, 2410 liters nominal cargo volume, 2180kg payload, 2837kg empty weight

Cost: 29900

6 Likes

1 Day Left!
I have recieved submissions from:
@Vento
@moroza
@LennoxV10
@Happyhungryhippo
@abg7
@GassTiresandOil
@stereomate
@oldmanbuick
@fabiremi999
@thpethalk
@Mausil
@DuceTheTruth100
@AndiD
@Hilbert

If you weren’t pinged here and still wish to enter, you’ve got until midnight on the 3rd to submit!
Thank you for all of the entries, theres quite an interesting mix of entries!

2 Likes
Introducing the Capable Delver!
An awesome off roader!
Premium interior!
25.2 mpg!
The most advanced safety ever put into a car!
Brand new electric steering!
Runs on diesel
Anywhere you go, a Capable is capable

4 Likes

2003 Vermilion Primo 354 AWD

I had to rush the car by a bit, due to current circumstances in my life, involving going to hospital and stuff. So it was started just before a rough time for me, recently. But since I got this opportunity of a 2003 SUV competition, because my SUV in the Automation Lore Wiki had its production started in 2003, so I decided I couldn’t waste it and try to have some fun and make something brand new for the lore. Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy it

6 Likes

Submissions are Closed!
Ill get to the bins soon, and then start working on the judging
Thank you to all who have submitted, well over a dozen entries!

3 Likes

And im extending the deadline to the 8th.
A couple ppl need more time and to be honest so do i as ive come down with the 2020 disease.
If you rushed a bit feel free to work on your cars some more and re submit.
Sorry for any comfusion!

2 Likes

It Takes A Beast to Know A Beast…

Introducing the BOAR Rummage, it’s one to not mess with…

Made by @AMuteCrypt and @happyfireballman

5 Likes

And with that submissions are finally closed
sorry for the delay, I was rather ill and am just recovering
ill get to any bins tonight and the rankings will begin this week
Thank you for all 17 submissions!

4 Likes
Got somewhere to be?
Renewed for 2003, Kamui once again delivers fantastic performance in every category at a great price. A robust modern construction contains everything you need to go wherever you want, be it to work, to play, to somewhere without a name, or just the grocery store. Kamui features innovative features like sliding rear doors for easier ingress, and a 3-piece tailgate so you can reach everything that much easier. OEM roof box optional, standard on RALLi models.

Be ready to go anywhere you want. Kamui RALLi is poised to provide excellent performance anywhere you go, with smoothness and speed. Available all-time AWD provides complete control on and off the beaten path. Standard full-size spare and included maintenance kit mean you don't need to worry about downtime. And world-class reliability means you don't have to worry about that much, either.

Kamui can be optioned with several powertrain options to fit your needs, including the powerful yet highly efficient DZT turbocharged diesel 4-cylinder engine. DZT provides fantastic torque for offroading, towing, even just getting going, all while getting remarkable economy.

2003 Kamui RALLi DZT as shown*: $29,500†

*Pre-production models shown. May not reflect final product. Contact local dealer for more info.
† Includes 7-seater cost.

© 2003 Akabira Motor Vehicle Company
5 Likes

Looks nice! But I hope you already submitted, entries closed 2 days ago.

Yeah I just forget to post my ads sometimes

Glad to announce that there’s no bins!
Now to get around to the reviews

6 Likes

Any updates on this one?

1 Like