Saving Engines and Vehicles?

Whenever I save an engine or vehicle that has been modified, it simply overwrites the file it was previously saved as. Also, when I go to create a new variant of an engine, everything starts over from scratch. I tried to get around that by creating a copy of the engine and renaming it, but the game failed to recognize it, ever after restarting.

Is there an easier way to do things? I really would like to make more than one car.

The way it should work is that once you are done with a trim and engine variant, you clone the trim and then the variant, select both and start working from there. So far I’ve not seen instances of that not working myself, which of course doesn’t mean it’s bug free for others. Is there a way you reliably can recreate the “failed to recognize” behavior? Also, what do you mean by that specifically?

How do you clone them?

What I did was go the game save file for the engine design I wanted to modify, make a copy of it, and then change the name of the file to what I wanted the new engine to be called. It didn’t work, even after I exited the game and loaded it again. Doing that did work for the older versions of the game though.

On the drop down for the trim and engine variants are two icons. a bin, hopefully speaks for itself, and one that is two cars - this is the clone button
Click it and a copy of that variant is made with a default name, select it from the drop down and you can rename and modify without altering the original.

On the drop down for the trim and engine variants are two icons. a bin, hopefully speaks for itself, and one that is two cars - this is the clone button
Click it and a copy of that variant is made with a default name, select it from the drop down and you can rename and modify without altering the original.