Sedan/Estate Thread

So here is the finished product:

1973 Avion Summit V8

A lot of love and details went on the inside and outside. An understated but stately V8 with American flair for the European market.

Opinions?

12 Likes

A looker for sure, but its stylish lines would be spoiled by 5-mph bumpers and sealed-beam headlights on US-spec examples from 1974 onwards. And by the way, how much displacement does that V8 have, and how much power does it make? I’m expecting it to be an OHV unit, true to American tradition.

Well since it is a “euro” company, the euro spec needs no spoiling and extra marking for the european market, so I could avoid the bumpers and the 8 inch round headlights. The engine is more euro in tech, OHC 16 valve, 4.8 liter, 195HP and bucket loads of torque for easy and lazy commuting. 3-speed slushie and 0-62 in under 10 seconds. In Beam NG it shifts just under 3k revs under less than 100% throttle application so it never sounds strained.
Maybe I should send you the file, test it out yourself? :smiley:

I would happily accept such an offer from you to send me the file for it. I thought it was an American land barge (which is the first thing that comes to mind whenever I imagine a car built on that body, especially with the longer-wheelbase versions) when it turned out to be a Euro luxury car.

Have SAAB been an inspiration to you or are the similarities just a coincidence?

I’d say no to Saab inspiration. I can see how you thought that. However, in my language Avion literally translates to Airplane, thus the mask simbolises a plane body with wings on the side. I really wanted something lazy to drive across Italy map without it looking exotic and costing crap loads of money. To look and feel american, but be able to take very narrow hairpins on dirt road when climbing to the radio tower.

2 Likes

Well, since SAAB originally was an aircraft manufacturer, there is kind of a connection then anyway.

1 Like

Agreed… I guess the Turbo should be next :smiley:

2 Likes

2018 Blaire LaFette 3.6 Touring (FL)

7 Likes

That is one of the most visually appealing designs you have come up with. I wonder how well a performance-oriented version would have done in CSR 137, which I hosted a few months ago? After all, judging by the badge, I think it’s powered by a 3.6-liter six-cylinder engine (either a V6 or inline-6), possibly turbocharged - and it definitely has the tuning potential to make it well-suited for such an application.

THE 1960-65 IP ICARUS

In 1960, the Icarus was introduced as a more upmarket model than the IP Lily, since there was a huge need for a model that slotted in between the tiny Lily and the Royalist limousine that was hand built in a few examples every year since 1955. Technically, it featured an unibody construction, a Mc Pherson strut suspension up front and leaf springs in the rear. Three body styles were available, a 4 door sedan, 5 door station wagon or 3 door panel van. It also featured an all new 1.5 litre engine.

In 1962 it got a larger 1.9 litre engine as a companion, and in 1964 you could get a 2 litre diesel (first introduced in the 1963 Celestia), as well as a 3 speed auto as a choice to the usual 4 speed manual. But speaking about the Celestia, it looked kind of ancient when compared to the more modern, crisp design it offered, and since the Celestia was not much smaller, the Icarus sales were suffering. So, in 1966, an all new Icarus was introduced, larger and with a much more modern shape.

Also, evolution of the Icarus during 20 years

Left to right: Gen 1 (1960), gen 2 (1966), gen 3 (1972), gen 4 (1980)

7 Likes

haha, thanks! It’s powered by a naturally aspirated 3.6L V6 as for your typical American sedan from 2018 it seems a bit normal for a more base model, and if it does look familiar I did upload the muscle or performance VST version several months ago on my main thread.

2 Likes

1966 Schnell New 1700S Deluxe

As seen on: Cult of Personality ][ : The Boogaloo [LORE][RD 5 SUBMISSIONS] - #60 by interior

3 Likes

Wells i6 Hybrid

!

1 Like

1973-77 IP WARBLER

With the fifth generation Lily almost growing out of its class, IP released a slightly smaller model to complement it, the Warbler. Being close to the fourth generation Lily in size, the use of a solid rear axle also distanced it even a bit further from the Lily. Though it did not use a primitive leaf spring suspension like the even smaller Commuter, but a K-link system and coil springs. Also, it was available with an 1.4 litre engine, which the Lily did not have, while it never got the 2 litre engine that was available in the Lily. The 1.6 and 1.8 litre engines, however, was shared between the models.

Another thing that the Warbler shared with the Lily was the front suspension, as usual for IPs of the era, Mc Pherson struts. Available body styles were a 2 door coupé, 4 door sedan or 5 door station wagon.

The first generation Warbler was replaced by the second generation in 1978, a car using more or less the same technology but with a more squared off bodywork.

4 Likes

a 90s luxury sedan

6 Likes

a modern luxury sedan

1 Like

1978-82 IP WARBLER

The second generation Warbler was important in the transition from coke bottle styling to a more squared look that most IP cars underwent during the late 70s. But probably, it was a sign that the party was over more than anything else.

Its boxy looks recieved criticism for being bland, unimaginative and dated already as new. Also, with competitors coming out with more futuristic designs, a 3-box sedan with solid rear axle and RWD was not going to cut it anymore. When the third generation was introduced in 1983, the transition to FWD and the introduction of a hatchback kind of sorted those “problems” out.

Technically, it was heavily based on its predecessor. Similar engines, similar suspension etc. And as last time, it could be had as a 2 door coupé, 4 door sedan or 5 door wagon.

5 Likes

1976-80 IP COMMUTER

The third generation Commuter, released in 1976, was the last of the series to use the simple and classic formula that the model had been used since its launch in 1966. A longitudinally mounted inline four, driving the rear wheels by a leaf sprung solid axle. In 1981, the Commuter went to front wheel drive, leaving the Warbler as the smallest rear wheel drive model available.

The Commuter was available as a 2- or 4 door sedan at its launch. In 1977, a 3 door liftback also joined the lineup. Engines available were all of the pushrod IP 4A type, sporting a volume of 1.2 or 1.4 litres. Available transmissions were a 3 speed automatic or a 4 speed manual, both with floor shifter. It could be had as the bare bones “S” or more luxurious “DX” model. The liftback was available in a “GTX” trim, but that was mostly pure cosmetics, and did not feature a more powerful engine unlike other GTX models in the lineup.

7 Likes

The Wells i6 shown in 3 flavors. Sport, Touring and Hybrid

5 Likes