Skyline's many, many, many cars (2015 Honda Fit LX, 1991 Honda Nighthawk, 2003 Honda Accord EX V6))

Not mine, but it is a project I’m assisting with. A good friend of mine was looking to replace his battered Chevy Cobalt and he wanted something that he could get more fun out of. He also wanted to buy his first stickshift. I was browsing auction listings as I do and I found a 2005 6-6 Accord coupe up in Philadelphia. I was kinda tempted at first, but I already have my 06 sedan.So I told him about it and he ended up snagging it for $950 ($1200 after fees). Catch is we had to drive 3 hours to Philly from just outside DC to pick it up and then hope it made the 3 hours back.

Well we did and it held up very well. It was about half a quart low on oil and a bit low on power steering fluid, but other than a code for the downstream bank 2 oxygen sensor, no issues came up. Keep in mind the car has 272k miles and came from New York (although there’s 0 rust surprisingly).

Since both of us work at a Honda dealership as technicians, we inspected and did some basic services on it immediately after making it back. We changed the oil, did a full brake flush, and a partial coolant service.The oil drain bolt was badly stripped, that was the worst issue we found.But he fixed that using a time sert with a new drain plug. Those are pretty robust in our experience, so it should hold (especially since we actually torque oil drain bolts to Honda specification, ~36 ft-lbs, rather than ramrodding it in like a Quik lube place would).

For other issues, I already mentioned the O2 sensor code. One of the parking brake cables might be stuck, the rear rotors are in need of replacement, the front seat fabric is torn, but that’s really it.

He’s gonna be doing more maintenance over the week. New tranny fluid (swapping the old Honda MTF for GM Synchromesh to prevent the 3rd gear popout these cars get. I did the same on my 06 already), a clutch fluid flush, power steering flush, new wiper blades, new PCV valve, and some other new parts.

4 Likes

I picked up a new addition for my fleet again. However, this one is special. This is the first 2 wheeled addition to my fleet. I got my motorcycle license a few months ago basically on a whim and I’ve been looking for a cheap starter bike. I really want a dual sport, but those are basically impossible to find used near me (and new ones are $4-6k), so for the time being, I picked up a different bike. I picked up a 1991 Honda CB250 Nighthawk.

I picked her up for $300 ($475 after auction fees). One of the perks of being patient enough to wait until fall I suppose, even if not my intent. I read these Nighthawks make great starter bikes and are pretty simple to maintain. Good because I’ll also be learning bike maintenance on here.

4 Likes

I had some time to look at the Nighthawk. It got delivered thursday while I was at work, so I could only really take a quick glance at it. I found out that the bike was last registered in 2017 to a woman in Fredericksburg, Virginia. That’s about 2 hours south of me, so that explains the relative lack of rust.

I took a more thorough look today. Of course being a battered looking 32 year old bike, it needs a bit of work. Of course the battery is completely shot and will need replacement. That’s to be expected, although the previous owner did add a port for hooking up a trickle charger. The oil needs to be changed and the chain lubed. The tires will be replaced immediately once it’s ready to take on the road.

The most immediate issue is that the clutch handle was broken off, meaning I can’t road test it just yet. I already ordered a new one, but it won’t be here for a week. Also the left mirror is missing, but that’s proving a bit more elusive.

In the meantime, I did get the bike to start. Took a while as I had no idea what I was doing. The negative terminal connector for my jump box broke, so I had to hold it to the negative terminal with an adjustable wrench that would rattle itself loose after 2 minutes of the engine running. I got it to run on ether until I realized that old carbed bikes have fuel shutoff valves that need to be manually turned on. There was old gas in here, but since I didn’t have a transfer pump or a spare container to keep the old gas in, I just cut it with 2 gallons of fresh gas. I also messed up by buying 87 octane when the recommended grade is 91. We don’t really have 91 where I am at very many stations, so I’m gonna have to run 93.

All the lights work, the horn works, the throttle, clutch, and brake cables all move freely, so it should be ready to test ride once I get the new battery and clutch handle (I used a pair of vice grips to make sure the cable moves freely). I also took the time to familiarize myself with motorcycle controls a bit more since my practice is very limited. It’s been a few months, so I’m rusty on top of being a novice, but the controls seemed intuitive enough after a refresher, although it took me a while to get it into neutral so it could crank. Like I said, I’m still learning. But it did get me hyped for when I can actually ride it for the first time. Once I test ride it for the first time and shake it down, I’ll go register it.

2 Likes

Did some work on the Fit yesterday. Got myself a set of braided stainless steel brake and clutch hoses, although I only had time to put the brake lines in yesterday. And since it’s been 2 years with this car, the brake and clutch fluid are just about due, so I flushed them with high performance DOT 4 fluid. I chose Motul RBF600 in this case, although I didn’t order enough for the clutch line as well, so it will be a couple days before I can flush the clutch hydraulics as well. Although the GK5 uses the same reservoir for the brake and clutch fluid, so I can just use a power bleeder and do it myself.

3 Likes

How do you find the GK5? I’ve been tossing up between getting a manual RS (L15B1) or a CR-Z to replace my Prius C, for a bit more fun. I’m worried GK5’s don’t feel as fun as an old Type R to rev out, without spending all the money on the Spoon cams and a tune.

I love it. This thing actually feels more fun than the Accord in some ways. And where you are, there’s way more curves to really embrace this car’s handling than there are here in the US (the DC area actually has a fair bit of good driving roads though, way more than most people realize).

IIRC, the CR-Z makes a bit less power and is heavier thanks to the IMA system on top of being less practical. I want to like the CR-Z, but making it a hybrid was just the wrong choice IMO.

1 Like

I don’t know if I posted it here, but last year, I bought a 2003 Honda Accord EX V6 sedan from my county’s police auction. I got it for $650 with the intent of fixing it up to give to my brother, but a couple months later, I got offered a 2007 Civic EX coupe for just $800, and it was the better choice for him. So I gave that to him instead and I’ve had the car sitting around for about a year now. And I ended up having to sell my 6-6 in that time.

And since then, 6-6 sedan prices have gone up, so I’m probably not buying another factory one. I’m gonna manual swap the 03. It’s not a terribly difficult swap, it’s been done on the Honda-Tech, DriveAccord, and V6 Performance forums multiple times.

As far as parts, I’d need the following:

New shifter and cable assembly (I already have a brand new shift cable and I will order the shifter soon)

Shifter bushings (I’m going to buy Acuity ones rather than new OEM. They feel way better than stock, I already have a set in the Fit)

Clutch kit/flywheel. I will order brand new ones for both.

Accord manual wiring harness (I just picked one up off eBay yesterday)

For the ECU, I have 2 options. Either a stock manual V6 ECU or an 07 or 08 TL manual ECU (the latter is required for tuning). I will most likely do the latter.

The transmission itself (I’m gonna hold out for a TL Type-S one to get the LSD)

Manual brake and clutch pedal assemblies (I can get these off of any manual 7th gen Accord, 1st gen TSX, or 3rd gen TL)

Clutch master and slave cylinder assemblies (I already had a spare slave cylinder for the old 6-6 and I’m gonna do a clutch delay valve delete on it)

I should note that the car runs and drives as is, so I’m not in a rush to swap it. I’m gonna grab parts as I find them for a good price. And I’m also gonna do the OEM+ weight reduction upgrades as well.

3 Likes