So then...the new Top Gear

From what few bits I have seen, Evans doesn’t belong. I also rewatched the episode in which James May talks to him about cars and lends him his Ferrari California. The vibe he gave me in either doesn’t look like one compatible with a show like Top Gear.

I can honestly say this week’s episode was better, but still needs more improvement. I liked the SUV comparison, and Eddie Jordan. However the downside is they still have that rallycross segment where the reasonably priced car should be, and Chris Evans still yelling.

I just skipped through the Star In A RallyCross Car, wasn’t watchable.

Nor was the opening Mclaren segment. It felt like a YouTube parody with a bad Jeremy Clarkson impersonator, and made Evans look even more rubbish when Jensen Button turned up and was a far more charismatic and fun presenter.

I watched it for about 15 mins then turned it off, so boring, chris evans just needs to go.

*opens reddit
“ooh /r/topgear is trending”
*clicks /r/topgear
the post “Last Week vs. Last Night” containing image is on the top
thx to RES, i could open it as thumbnail so
*clicks load.
*proceeds to see THIS

*my face almost literally crunched up due to the cringe that just took 1 year off my life.

.#hardestcringeinmylifeliterally

that aside.
that just looks blatantly like he know that he sucks, but he’s just in complete denial.

5 Likes

As I and many of you have said, Evans just doesn’t seem like the right person for the job. The BBC is gonna have to eventually accept that he’s a liability.

Loving this.
It’s like watching a Hindenburg disaster in slow motion, but instead of people it’s filled with Chris Evans.

… OH THE HUGH MANATEE

4 Likes

so then if chris evans were to be replaced, who would you vote for to replace him?

i would vote for this 2

Id rather have a dog than chris evans, chris harris would be a big upgrade

They already have LeBlanc who’s attitude is “I do not belong here, so I’d rather treat the show with respect”, which is tons better than the “I am the king shit of this toilet, lets fling me across the room” attitude of Evans. So yeah, LeBlanc could easily be the main host.

5 Likes

Give mister “Shout&Scream” a mike that cuts out everytime he exceeds 75dB.:smirk: That’ll shut him up.

4 Likes

Or don’t plug his mic in at all.

3 Likes

I’d go for 35dB. Would probably dramatically improve the show, from what it sounds like.

3 Likes

But then the studio audience has to hear him. I wouldn’t subject anyone to that.

Chris: W0000 REFRERENCE YELLING IM FUNNY RIGHT HAHA SLIGHTLY IMPERSONATING A WEIRD HYBRID OF HAMMOND AND CLARKSON BUT NO IM ORIGINAL AND FUNNY RIGHT?!?!?
Matt: I’m american.
Audience: yaaaaay top gear is baaaack…

Also chris really should be replaced by Mat Watson, but he’s too busy reviewing cars for regular people no matter how much top gear would suit him

Fixed this.Seeing Evans boss studio audience around is cringeworthy too…

Matt is so cool and calm. Effortlessly oozes his wit and typical charisma. And then Evans runs around the place as though it’s a kids TV show.

Maybe we’ve got it all wrong. Maybe he just thinks the audience need LOTS OF SHOUTING and A FUNNY MAN TO JUMP AROUND THE STUDIO to keep the audience entertained (who of course has to act like that man that we cannot name but are desperately trying to fill the void he left).

Evans made his career out of TFI Fridays, radio shows and places where he gets to play the idiot and get shouty. Top Gear has never been that. He’s treating a comical-factual partially staged/partially serious show that worked perfectly as Saturday morning kids TV.

2 Likes

hands up for mr. regular to be in the top gear :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually the “The turbo’s spool up so late that you’ve halfway changed gear by then I JUST WIPED AND I NEED TO POOP AGAAAAAAIN” style would be still better than Evans. But I am afraid that each track test would be a TRACKDAY, BRO.

1 Like

I must say, with episode 3, Chris has made the show very much brilliant. That’s the Harris one, not the Evans, Evans is still painful to watch, even though he is quieter now, (Not by much, and only in the audi segment). Rory is a pleasure to watch aswell. Ken Block segment was nicely done. In any case, if you’re watching Episode 3, just skip all Evans and watch a great show. That is the one I’d rather watch, one without shouting evans.

Also remember when everybody complained star in a RP car was 10 minutes of the show wasted? Well this week it’s 20 minutes of Evans shouting at 2 black guys pretending those were questions.

1 Like