So You Want to Host a Tournament

It actually is, just pinned to the top of the section as opposed to the announcements section!

Thank you. And thank you for writing this. Oh, and thank you!

Yeah, stickies on this forum aren’t separated like the announcements are, they’re just ‘pinned’ posts, unlike some other forums.

Since there’s now two versions of Automation, should there be some sort of “use the standalone” rule of thumb? Since the standalone is updated far less frequently than the Steam version there could be significant performance differences for a given car.

I say this because it’s really not difficult for Steam users to just go and download the standalone, but standalone users have reasons why they won’t or can’t use Steam.

That’s a good question. I’m loath to agree despite the obvious problem of disparities in different builds, particularly as most steam users would auto update anyway.

In this particular case the latest steam update carries extremely important revamped drag calculations. If anybody held a high speed tournament now, if that update, for example, weren’t available to standalone it wouldn’t make sense to use the standalone version because the mechanics would simply be broken.

Plus you also have people like me who do not wish to install a second, standalone version of the game. There are probably more people like me (Steam users who don’t want to install a 2nd copy) than there are TOTAL standalone-only users.

Original post updated to reflect recent discussions on the new file naming conventions!

I was going to suggest that last night, but I thought I’d let a certain other thread boil over and resolve itself before I committed anything to writing.

I might suggest an edit for clarity and to eliminate redundancy:

[quote][ul]
[color=#FF0000][li]After discussion, the consensus is that the naming of each file should be divided into four sections: the tournament name, the player name, then whether it’s an Engine (Family) or Car (Model), and whether it’s a Variant or a Trim.[/color][/li][/ul][/quote]

1 Like

I saw what you were getting at there, but it took me a few minutes to do so, so I edited it, but in a different fashion. It’s not that easy to describe.

Perhaps a screenshot would be of more help!

haha as long as it isn’t repeating categories…that would be confusing. :wink:

EDIT: After reading it, it’s perfect. Actually better than my suggestion, so good job! :slight_smile: (the whole thing is still a tad confusing, but, you know.)

Post updated to reflect naming becoming much easier with the new EXPORT function. I highly recommend using this to make everybody’s life easier!

I already did this anyway with my post-Steam submissions. :wink: The export feature sure makes it easier, however!!!

edit, nothing to see here

Post updated with sections on using the Export function, paying attention to the difference between Steam, standalone, and mod support, changed game mechanics in B151208, and time management to reflect recent commentary on tournament cancellations.

New question for the very new function:
If we want hold somthing like an Automation-BeamNG time attack, that both need to build your own car(with some regulation) and drive it on your own in BeamNG for a time. Should we hold it here? or on BeamNG’s forums?
What files would it need? Is it appropriate to share files like BeamNG’s replay.rpl on this site?

Aside from the fact you’ve asked this on a thread that’s been out of date by about 3 years (haha should I update it then)…

• I don’t see a problem with hosting that format here. Depends on the audience you want.
  • You’ll need to be able to substantiate the times, obviously. Most of us in other time attack events were satisfied with a screenshot though many posted videos anyway. The technical requirements increase with more required evidence but can be doable.
  • I think it’s not inappropriate to share replay.rpl files on the site. I’ve never tried importing somebody else’s and don’t know if it will work perfectly.
2 Likes

Is it allowed to post a challenge that was already posted by the same person elsewhere, for example on reddit?
Or do challenges posted here have to stay exclusively on this forum only?

Yep, but you should post ALL the rules on the challenge thread too, and know that the users here are much more exigent than the Reddit ones, so you need to be prepared for the Salt

1 Like

I’ve seen a whole CSR thread locked down by admins due to excess saltiness - a reminder that even if a host is prepared for salty entrants, it’s still better if said entrants avoid being salty in the first place.

3 Likes