Some Assembly Required - F40iero Build and Review Out

This ain’t really a contest, but more of a sharing platform for those DIY projects you can assemble in your garage. FWM was originally a Kit Car manufacturer until they turned in to full production factory. Take a look around, you have the likes of Caterham, Factory Five Racing, RCR, etc.
So what if your brand sold a kit starting around $10k for the average builder. It could be a nice little cruiser, a knockoff supercar, a classic roadster or a track carving monster that can hang and beat the big boys. Also what engine packages can you stuff in it? The possibilities are endless.
So let’s see your mad creations with about 3 different engines that a schmo like myself can assemble with a few tools and a donor car it’s based off.
Possibly do reviews if you send me a car file of it.

Simple Rules
Most panels are Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber.
Monocoque, Semi-Space, Space-Frame, Ladder frame are preferred.
With a Monocoque, use a donor car but with either fiberglass or carbon fiber panels.
Engine should have realism, nothing insane like a v16, hell even a V10 or V12 with turbos can be too exotic.
Safety Optional - However with a Monocoque, it should come with the safety of the donor
Fuel Options Varies, but a street cruiser should run on available pump gas.
Catalytic Converters / Mufflers varies
No active components

Popular Kits and Inspiration

5 Likes

95 octane?

Sounds Great!

Regular or Premium.
Depending the build, maybe higher if you build a race rocket

1 Like

Also I did notice some kits would replace the panels on an actual donor car chassis. So if you have an older model car that you want a complete makeover with new kit car panels, then that is fine.
Some lore for your kit could also be beneficial.

1 Like

Newer engines would require a catalytic converter. As for fuel types:

Probably as the absolute maximum, although at least 91 octane should be required.

1 Like

That also depends what the builder plans. Do you want to slap in a fresh crate motor, the donor car engine or a junkyard motor?
But for the sake of California, a Catalytic Converter is strongly advised.
But if it we’re Texas, that is optional.
I’ll adjust the intro later on with some inspirations and a clean up format.
Can’t really do CCS format, as I don’t know how

1 Like

Again, I am very unclear as far as the kit goes. Whatever I do without the monocoque seems to be quite expensive, beyond 25k… Is there a catch?

Just send it
$25k is something I just thrown out and Automation doesn’t really simulate Kit Car builds. It’s basically a completed car no matter. Just throw some lore and what your advertised price would be for a whole powertrain kit.

Some of the ruling and inspirations have been updated / implemented.

I think I understand… So I have a possibility to take an existing platform as well, and “create” a kit to significantly modify it?

Basically yes, there are examples using an Mazda MX5 and also a Infinity G35 where they replaced panels to look like a completely different car. A lot of supercar knockoffs used a chassis of a very affordable platform. The Pontiac Fiero being a popular choice.

Oxborn R series: bringing the 60’s into the 21st century

It is well known that our goal at Oxborn is to give our customers unique driving experiences, only achievable with our Personally Assembled Sports Cars (PASC). Our latest vehicles take inspiration from the legens that were driven in F1 during the 60s; extremely powerful and challenging racecars only piloted by daredevils. Now you can become one, as the R series nearly replicates the driving characteristics of those racecars, but with considerable upgrades in passive and structural safety.

The R series comprises 3 trim levels, each one with a different engine and aero package:

RS

The starting point for the series. Powered with a NA 1.7L I4 making 123hp, it’s an ideal project car for weekend drivers that want to enjoy this experience without putting too much at risk, as it’s top speed (221 km/h) and acceleration (0-100 km/h in 6s) are regular values for track cars.

RSR

The next step in the series. It features a new turbocharged 1.8 I3, making 157hp, and a new areo package, including an adjustable rear wing and basic fairing for the engine mount. With a top speed of 260km/h and 0-100km/h in 5.8s, this project car is best suited for experienced drivers that perform in more serious competitions.

RXR

The final step in the R series takes the I4 engine from the RS, but this time it gets bored out to 2L, new turbocharger, custom lightweight components and race spec direct injection, now making 389hp. Taking into account that the car weights only 860kg,and that the aero package now boast ground effect components, this project car can perform as well as modern formula cars. Even though the acceleration slightly improves from the RSR (0-100 in 5.5s) it’s top speed is now 326 km/h. We recommend this car only to professional drivers, capable of whitstanding the level of performance this lap-record-contender brings up to the track.

3 Likes

good little mid-engined, open wheel, short wheel base, formula-esque single seater car. Using a space frame chassis and a single piece fiberglass body. Engine doesn’t have to be too big to power this little lightweight rocket that I’m sure will be killer for those autocross track days.

Mons Customs

Introducing the

Pontiac Fiero Inferno "F40"

I swear, this is not a “true” repost of my ARM10 submission. It kinda is, but also isn’t. Hear me out.

I did keep the F40 bodykit of the Fiero, that has not changed. However… the engineering is completely redone to fit the theme of this thread. It is a lot more realistic and a lot less “spec chasing” as for a proper challenge. To highlight the similarities and especially the differences of the ARM10 submission and this one, below is a neat spreadsheet.

Objectively, it seems that the ARM10 car is just a million times better… until you get to the reliability and costs… So it is worth it? Or is it better to go with the cheap crate engine and more basic interior overhaul… I know what I would do if I just wanted to have some track fun! What would you do?

ARM10 SAR
Base chassis Pontiac Fiero space frame Pontiac Fiero space frame
Panels Carbon Fibre Carbon Fibre
Engine Placement Mid Longitudinal Mid Transverse
Engine Mons Racing GM L32 Crate
Displacement 2.2L (2195 cc) 3.4L (3350 cc)
Lay-out AlSi DOHC 5v V6 Cast OHV 2v V6 NA
Fuel system Twin-Turbo; Direct Injection Naturally Aspirated; MPFI
Power 308.5 hp @ 8500 RPM 164.6 hp @ 5500 RPM
Torque 307.8 Nm @ 5800 RPM 264.7 Nm @ 3000 RPM
Redline 8700 RPM 5800 RPM
Octane 95 91
Engine Weight 137 kg 160 kg
Gearbox 7 sp DCT 6 sp Manual
Differential E-LSD Open
Drive AWD RWD
Tire compound/rims Sports/Alloy Medium/Alloy
Tires front 205/40R18 85Z 185/45R17 78V
Tire rear 245/35R18 89Z 225/35R17 82V
Brakes Vented F&R 375 mm/355 mm Vented F&R 295 mm/285 mm
Undertray Semi-clad N/A
Interior Hand-made; Luxury HUD Sport; Premium Infotainment
Power Steering Electric variable N/A
Traction Aids ESC+LC ESC+LC
Safety Advanced 20s Basic 10s
Suspension Pushrod FR Pushrod FR
Springs Active Sport Progressive
Dampers Semi Active Gas Mono-tube
Sway bars Passive Passive
Max speed 265 km/h (250 limited) 226 km/h
0-100 km/h 3.8 s 5.7 s
80-120 km/h 2.64 s 3.90 s
1/4 mile 12.31 s 14.23
20/200 m radius Gs 1.18 G / 1.24 G 1.10 G / 1.17 G
Car weight 1262.6 kg 998.6 kg
Fuel Economy 8.0 L/100 km 8.1 L/100 km
ATT track time 2:10.66 2:22.97
Drivability 81.3 44.8
Sportiness 63.1 54.3
Comfort 56.3 20.6
Prestige 56.7 43.0
Safety 46.2 37.0
Reliability 75.0 64.3
Service costs $2,462.70 $1,416.80
Price (AUTO $$) $77,300 $36,400

Pics (in case you haven't seen these in the ARM10 thread yet)

5 Likes

What a knockoff.
-Now that I have some time behind a computer, I’ll do a quick read.
It’s quite the knockoff, which is really one of the charms of a kit car, even though I really find it ridiculous because that’s how kit cars get a bad rap. Obviously because of the Pontiac Fiero, the prime suspect of knockoff supercars.
This is a project for one those who have a midlife crisis looking for status but only has the middle class money and middle class skills to earn that money. So he and a mate or his son get together on weekends and within about 9 months to a year they come out with this mad piece, of a terrible handling, what the fuck were you thinking, fun little piece of engineering, even though it’s a Fiero in disguise.
My only suggestion is maybe replace the Carbon Fiber for something like Fiberglass for affordability and realism. But all in all, approved kit. Ya bloody knockoff…

Would anyone like for me to do some reviews for your kits?

Sure, I can send you mine.

Built, Tuned and Tested
The 2020 Oxborn RS (@Prium)

When browsing the kit car forums, we happen to hear of a very popular lightweight, mid-engine, open wheel, single seater kit that is advertised to be a great little track/autocross focused car and is rather easy to assemble and it won’t break the bank. Looking on Oxborn’s website, we find their kit in three variations. The Oxborn RS, RSR and the RXR. Each with 3 different engine packages for those that want either the basic entry or the high performance, in your face death trap performance. Needless to say we decided to take the base model Oxborn RS to see what you can get for the entry market.

Our kit arrived at our shop in 3 months time. The chassis and body were together in a neatly built wooden crate box, a stock 1.7L naturally aspirated engine and transmission in another wooden crate and the rest of the parts in about 15 large to medium boxes, and one large instruction manual. The manual will tell you the parts inventory list, parts that are needed, page by page instructions with clear pictures, diagrams and instructions, as well as recommended tools, that of course come separately. Estimated build time is 200 hours. So we got to work.

The kit was rather easy to build on the chassis side. All the components, bolts and bushings were delivered with our kit. Oxborn however sent us solid disc brakes all around, so we decided to upgrade the stock brakes to some high performance Bremsi discs and pads and installed some 18" wheels. The calipers will do the job just fine, and we ditched the electric power steering unit because it’s not really needed for a car that will be this lightweight. The chassis itself was a tubular bare frame steel, so a powdercoating was put on to secure the elements from eating away at the steel. Then it’s all about riveting the floor panels together… Our favorite task… Once all the panels, boom-mats flooring was in place, we installed the fuel tank, fuel lines, brake lines and electric cables, all of the switches and the electronics, which was really just a basic all in one electronic gauge from our tuner, we bought ourselves a performance racing seat and installed it compared to the basic hard seat that came with the kit.

For the engine, the manufactured date was stamped from 2012. While the engine was out of the car, we decided to order a performance kit for our little 1.7L. We put in a forged piston kit, a performance twin-cam and valve spring set, fuel injectors, spark plugs, intake and a stainless steel performance exhaust. We also found a 6 speed transmission with a lower gear ratio than the 5 speed, so we went and swapped it for that. All in all with a custom tune, we brought the 1.7L to a screaming 155hp! Once the engine was finished, it was off to mate it to the chassis. The chassis was perfectly suited to fit this engine precisely. We put polyurethane engine mounts so the engine won’t vibrate us to death. The install was easy. Once everything was secured, we connected all of the lines and wired it up to our ECU and we were now in our go-kart phase. On to the body!

For the Body, it comes in two major fiberglass pieces and a wind screen. One is the main body and the other to cover the engine. This makes it nice, easy and inexpensive for us to knock out any body work to smooth out the edges and take it to the paint booth for primer and color. We went with the Oxborn Green and wrapped some accessories in faux carbon for that look. After paint, we carefully carried the body and mated it to the assembled chassis. Then it was down to installing all the lighting and the long hours of riveting some more to secure the body to the chassis, and at long last. The build was complete!

After some final chassis tuning and alignment, and going through the paperwork, DMV lines, inspection checks, and the very crazy California registration fees, we unfortunately are not street legal… But it is registered to us! So on to the trailer it goes and we took it to our local track.

It’s Open Track Day Weekend at Willow Springs International Raceway. The Oxborn was taken off the trailer and already some people were eyeballing the car and asking questions. Along with a couple of Oxborn owners to see what we’ve done to ours and exchanged some tips and information. The joys of these kit car communities is after all coming together and sharing our stories, ideas, tips and tricks and of course showing off our builds. We went around Streets of Willow in the full Counter Clockwise rotation. The car being so lightweight and agile handled the course flawlessly with our current tune. Everything ran perfectly and it was a full day of fun. Then it was time to go home.

We were very impressed and happy with our Oxborn RS. The build was easy and rather inexpensive with our build totaling $29,700 AUD, and the performance shows. All in all, we recommend you get one.

Thank You Prium for the car!

Performance Stats and other photos

3 Likes

The Quest To Build The Ultimate Knockoff
The F40iero Built and Tested (@cake_ape)

Who’s idea was it to purchase this kit? Amaya shakes her head, Walker shakes his head and it wasn’t myself neither. But it turns out Rob in the fabrication department bought this kit for $15,000 just for the lulz. The kit in question is the Mons Customs Pontiac Fiero Inferno “F40”, which was a set of panels and accessories that will turn any first generation Pontiac Fiero in to a sleek Ferrari F40 supercar… that still has the quirks of a Pontiac Fiero.

The kit arrived on our doorstep after a 4 month time period because it was shipped over by container ship. It came in 4 large boxes and an instruction manual that had instructions in a few different languages and hard to depict black and white pictures. But with the statement, “Donor Car May Vary.” Estimated Build Time, 750 Hours.

Needless to say… we need to acquire a first generation Pontiac Fiero for this kit to work. The question is rather where can we find one in a pretty decent condition that doesn’t have high mileage, has burned down in a fire, or is in the junkyard. Looking online, we were able to locate one near Albany, New York where a young man discovered his late grandfather’s garage that the family was trying to sell. We’re in California, so we had to load up the truck and hook up the trailer for the long road trip ahead. Amaya being Amaya went deuces and said she’ll come back when the more interesting Oxborn RXR get’s built, and went joy riding in the shop’s FWM like she usually does. So it was down to the guys and 80 hour round trip just to pick up a Pontiac Fiero.

5 days have passed, surprising we survived the long drive, we’re not young like we use to be. We picked up our Fiero for $3500, less than 100,000 miles, but it had been sitting for almost two decades and the fuel pump was bad, had bad compression in cylinders 4 and 6, and it needed a good detailing. So we have our work cut out ahead of us.

We won’t go in to too much detail for y’all, but working on this donor wasn’t as easy. Everything was tight with this V6 and GMs attempt at a small midship sports car. Needless to say, we repaired and rebuilt the engine, replaced some of the old worn parts with new ones, replaced the fuel pump and drained all of the bad fuel in the tank and lines. The interior was cleaned up and all the wiring was checked so we wouldn’t catch fire later on. All the removable panels were taken off and in their place were the carbon fiber panels that we had to align and drill holes to rivet them to the body of the chassis. We’ve thrown out the manual because it was difficult to read and understand down the road. Once everything aligned correctly, it was down to body and paint. Where we painted it in Ferrari’s famous yellow.

The build took us 6 months from start to finish, in the end, we had ourselves a pretty neat looking little Ferrari! Which in our minds we never thought we would ever experience in our lifetimes. That sentence was a joke and is full of sarcasm… But jokes aside, it does look nice. It looks the part, but how does it drive? Well we can tell you that, it still drives like a Pontiac Fiero! But on a diet. (Thanks to the Carbon Fiber)

Estimated Build Cost for the kit, donor purchase, repairs, paint and body for a one of a Kind Car. $29,000 AUD. All of the roasting that comes from car guys about the car. Priceless…

Thank you cake_ape for the Car!

6 Likes