Some Bugs-Glitches-Errors In The April Build

Hey guys,

I know that you all have been working on some serious updates, but I just wanted to highlight the most problematic bugs I have been dealing with.

I made a nice 1080p youtube video for anyone who has an extra 10min.

youtu.be/IgyHxgR7qw8

Please note I am NOT complaining. I am simply showing my experience. I love this game, so don’t trash me for trying to help.

TLDR:

The loadscreen runs at 1fps, gives the impression the game is slow

The welcome screen tries to sell me the game, although I already bought it

You guys use the trademarked name “Jeep” in your game, and i can guarantee that Jeep is greedy enough to charge you for it

The blow-off valve is only heard once, and the turbine sound does not respond to engine acceleration, and the blow-off valve doesn’t chatter under high load

The test track is always in KMH, even if the rest of the game is in MPH

The octane ratings for “AKI” fuel are not representative of what we use here in the US. Maybe look into that? The U.S. uses: 87, 89, 91, 93 unleaded… and 100 or 105 leaded for off-road use only…

Um… oh, there is not enough room under some of the body shell bumpers to place an exhaust pipe…

OH, and one I forgot to include in the video, we can’t have side-exhausts!!! :’(

[quote=“PowerSports420”]

1. The loadscreen runs at 1fps, gives the impression the game is slow

2. The welcome screen tries to sell me the game, although I already bought it

3. You guys use the trademarked name “Jeep” in your game, and i can guarantee that Jeep is greedy enough to charge you for it

4. The blow-off valve is only heard once, and the turbine sound does not respond to engine acceleration, and the blow-off valve doesn’t chatter under high load

5. The test track is always in KMH, even if the rest of the game is in MPH

6. The octane ratings for “AKI” fuel are not representative of what we use here in the US. Maybe look into that? The U.S. uses: 87, 89, 91, 93 unleaded… and 100 or 105 leaded for off-road use only…

7. Um… oh, there is not enough room under some of the body shell bumpers to place an exhaust pipe…

8. OH, and one I forgot to include in the video, we can’t have side-exhausts!!! :’([/quote]

1. You are absolutely right, and if it loaded smoothly, it would give the impression of a much higher-quality game.

2. Also true, although I am not qualified to say if it will change.

3. Well, Jeep could be interpreted as the name of said company, or it can be interpreted as the vehicle made by Willys Overland, and a few others. It also might be protected as it is a general name for that type of vehicle. For example, if this was a “Vacuum Cleaner Tycoon” game, you might get away with using the word “Hoover”, because it is a general term for that type of cleaning appliance.

4. I don’t know enough about how the sound works to comment on this.

5. Hopefully this will be changed in the next update.

6. The reason for this is so metric players and imperial players do not have different octane fuels to choose from.

7. I am slightly confused by what you mean by this, but if an exhaust is not fitting, it cal always be resized.

8. This has already been reported, but thanks for noticing.

Whew you guys are quick responders!

The video should be done uploading and processing within the hour, it is a bit more explanatory.

:slight_smile:

Edit: On the Jeep thing, I am truly concerned for the developers’ sake. I believe that the current owner of Jeep owns all past and future trademarks of the Jeep name and logo. I have seen some fairly nasty lawsuits from automakers getting too possessive of their names, I just worry for the devs.

I have been working on an animation of a Mustang, and I had to do some serious research to see if I could use the Pony logo. Apparently, there is no copyright on the actual pony shape, because it resembles a horse, and you can’t copyright a horse.

However, with the Jeep thing, Jeep is a very unique name, and not a formal word in the dictionary, therefore, the US Trademark office allows it to be protected. I’m just worried, thats all. NBD if the devs don’t agree.

Thanks!

Also, I’ve noticed you have quite the following on Youtube, you should do a few more Automation videos. I will add you to the list of people posting videos.

Thanks! I plan on making a few more before the next update. But when the update comes out, I’ll be plastering my channel in videos showing all the new stuff.

Idk if 3k subs is that much,… i’ve been trying to get more viewers, but…, i have been spending tons of time in college this summer, so, yeah… :confused: went from 100k views a month, down to 80k a month… :’( :’( :’(

Considering 3k subs is more than 4 times what is on any other Automation-related channel, it is quite a lot.

Really!?! No wonder I never heard about this game till now…

I found it by searching for “high rpm engine” on youtube… was trying to find videos of how much the new F1 V6 cars suck compared to the oldschool V10s and etc… lol

I will definitely continue to post positives about the game!!!

[quote=“Jakgoe”]

[quote=“PowerSports420”]

1. The loadscreen runs at 1fps, gives the impression the game is slow

2. The welcome screen tries to sell me the game, although I already bought it

3. You guys use the trademarked name “Jeep” in your game, and i can guarantee that Jeep is greedy enough to charge you for it[/quote]

4. The blow-off valve is only heard once, and the turbine sound does not respond to engine acceleration, and the blow-off valve doesn’t chatter under high load

5. The test track is always in KMH, even if the rest of the game is in MPH

6. The octane ratings for “AKI” fuel are not representative of what we use here in the US. Maybe look into that? The U.S. uses: 87, 89, 91, 93 unleaded… and 100 or 105 leaded for off-road use only…

7. Um… oh, there is not enough room under some of the body shell bumpers to place an exhaust pipe…

8. OH, and one I forgot to include in the video, we can’t have side-exhausts!!! :’(

1. You are absolutely right, and if it loaded smoothly, it would give the impression of a much higher-quality game.

2. Also true, although I am not qualified to say if it will change.

3. Well, Jeep could be interpreted as the name of said company, or it can be interpreted as the vehicle made by Willys Overland, and a few others. It also might be protected as it is a general name for that type of vehicle. For example, if this was a “Vacuum Cleaner Tycoon” game, you might get away with using the word “Hoover”, because it is a general term for that type of cleaning appliance.

4. I don’t know enough about how the sound works to comment on this.

5. Hopefully this will be changed in the next update.

6. The reason for this is so metric players and imperial players do not have different octane fuels to choose from.

7. I am slightly confused by what you mean by this, but if an exhaust is not fitting, it cal always be resized.

8. This has already been reported, but thanks for noticing.[/quote]

9. Yeah, that whole screen will get a much nicer rework eventually

10. That one too.

11. Shiiiit. Noted and will change, dunno how that slipped through.

12. Lots more sound work to come, turbo sound is part of what needs fixing for sure.

13. Noted, needs fixing

14. As per Jakgoe’s answer

15. Yeah, that might need some tweaking too

16. One day, maybe. Got more critical things to do first though.

Wow you guys are on top of this! That vacation must of recharched your batteries!

Yeah, lol, the whole Jeep thing is really sad. It shouldn’t be such a big deak, but, yeah…

Glad to hear you guys are aware of those issues! If you want, I can post up some math about the turbine sound inrelation to engine accelration. But u guys seen like really smart car guys, so you prob already have a game plan.

Sound design is considered the most overlooked issue in productions. Realistic sound is more important then picture quality, surprisingly. When I upgraded my microphone for my youtube videos, I got a lot less thumbsdown then before…

Too bad the microphone went back and now I’m back 2 echos…

From mobile

I think the turbine sound is mostly correct, as it is connected to the speed of the turbocharger (not the engine) hence it will reach peak turbo speed and stay there as the wastegate opens.

The problem with it however is that it doesn’t respond to throttle inputs correctly, as the turbo sound was orignially designed before we added the manual throttle control, so it only needed to work for full throttle dyno runs (which it does).

That’s on the cards to fix eventually, for sure.

In your video, you express your wishes for a button for US English, but there really is no difference between that and the English that is in the game. You mention that this button might instantly set the units to imperial, but this might cause more trouble than it would fix. Many people, including me, like a combination of imperial and metric, so it is probably better to let people choose that themselves.

About the “Buy Game” button on the launcher, it is there because it is an all-in-one launcher, for the demo, and for the full game. This will most likely be changed once it migrates to Steam.

About the Jeep thing, you are right, but Chrysler will sue, not Chevy :wink:.

Autosave is probably not the right course of action, but you are right, a warning to save would be nice.

The acceleration from 0-62 is measured in seconds, not Gs. That should be pretty obvious, especially as it says “(0-62mph)”.

The weight distribution was not 56 OF and 44 OR, it was 56.0 Front, 44.0 Rear. That, also, is pretty obvious.

You can go straight into the engine sandbox. When you click on “Sandbox” in the menu, there should be a button that says “Engine Manager” up top to go there.

You are confusing economy and gas mileage. Take a minute to think about why MPG cannot be calculated in the engine designer.

AKI is the same as (R+M)/2.

The wastegate light, as you have said, is non-functional for now, but will be fixed in the future. You engine was not knocking, so that is why that light was not on.

When rotating fixtures, move the mouse from left to right.

And a little note, your engines are incredibly expensive. You might want to turn down the quality slider.

[quote=“Daffyflyer”]I think the turbine sound is mostly correct, as it is connected to the speed of the turbocharger (not the engine) hence it will reach peak turbo speed and stay there as the wastegate opens.

The problem with it however is that it doesn’t respond to throttle inputs correctly, as the turbo sound was orignially designed before we added the manual throttle control, so it only needed to work for full throttle dyno runs (which it does).

That’s on the cards to fix eventually, for sure.[/quote]

Hmmmm… that would definitely make more sense… also explains why the blow-off only sounds once…

But, yeah, the turbine is definitely a very complex thermodynamic machine… i’m gonna go have to watch some videos of a bunch of ricers revving their engines and get back to ya on that…

:slight_smile:

[quote=“Jakgoe”]In your video, you express your wishes for a button for US English, but there really is no difference between that and the English that is in the game. You mention that this button might instantly set the units to imperial, but this might cause more trouble than it would fix. Many people, including me, like a combination of imperial and metric, so it is probably better to let people choose that themselves.

Well, i also forgot the mention the whole “boot” and “bonnet” thing. I strongly prefer “trunk” and “hood”. 'MERICA.

About the “Buy Game” button on the launcher, it is there because it is an all-in-one launcher, for the demo, and for the full game. This will most likely be changed once it migrates to Steam.

Makes sense

About the Jeep thing, you are right, but Chrysler will sue, not Chevy :wink:.

Haha, i can’t keep track of the companies anymore, so many buyouts and sellouts and etc

Autosave is probably not the right course of action, but you are right, a warning to save would be nice.

Yeah, autosave might be bad, but it could save it to a “revision 1.5” file instead, that way you still have ur old one! or something, idk, i love me some autosave whenever i’m playing with overclocking stability

The acceleration from 0-62 is measured in seconds, not Gs. That should be pretty obvious, especially as it says “(0-62mph)”.

yeah, i didn’t think that through… so yeah, units! always show units! or you get a ZERO on your math test… stupid math…

The weight distribution was not 56 OF and 44 OR, it was 56.0 Front, 44.0 Rear. That, also, is pretty obvious.

Huh? No no, it used some weird notation. it should just say like u did, 56F/44R

You can go straight into the engine sandbox. When you click on “Sandbox” in the menu, there should be a button that says “Engine Manager” up top to go there.

WHAAAT!?! Screenshot that button for me! Am I blind???

You are confusing economy and gas mileage. Take a minute to think about why MPG cannot be calculated in the engine designer.

Hmmmmm… vehicle weight and air resistance… so what is economy? what do those units stand for???

AKI is the same as (R+M)/2.

Yeah, they explained that they are using UK octane ratings, and just converting to US to keep it simple

The wastegate light, as you have said, is non-functional for now, but will be fixed in the future. You engine was not knocking, so that is why that light was not on.

no, the light doesn’t work even when I blow the top off… at least not in my exp…

When rotating fixtures, move the mouse from left to right.

I tried!!! it doesn’t work right… maybe my gaming mouse is too awesome??? :stuck_out_tongue:

And a little note, your engines are incredibly expensive. You might want to turn down the quality slider.

psh, i got hella bank son! hella hella bank!!!
[/quote]

Good points! While some of them are inaccurate, it’s still helpful to see where people get things the wrong way.

About arbitrary stats (loudness, responsiveness, etc.): they are somewhat calibrated to be between 0 and 100, and none of them can be assigned a unit of measure because they are relative and/or subjective measures. When we add tool tips to the game, there will be a general indicator (average, low, very high, etc.) for these values to put them a bit more into perspective. Even that though is rather meaningless, because a responsive engine back then (~20 resp.), is not even close to a responsive engine by modern standards (50+).

About fuel eco: Almost everyone gets it wrong, and we have no clue how to solve it because it’s the correct way in the game. There is NO WAY you can get a mpg or L/100km figure from an engine on a dyno. The g/kWh (that’s the correct SI-unit measure for fuel efficiency) is an inverse of the engine efficiency, "how many grams of fuel do I need to burn in order to produce 1 kWh, i.e. the lower the better. A little thought experiment quickly tells you that mpg cannot be calculated there and would only confuse people more if we did: you have a 1L eco engine optimized for a Smart-like car. What mpg value would that one get if you put it into a Hummer? Simple answer: not the same as for a Smart, not even close. :stuck_out_tongue:

Weight distribution: yeah, it’s 44pointzeroF / 56pointzeroR, we should probably put a space there between number and letter to make that more clear.

Engine Designer Access: On the first Sandbox screen you get to from the main menu, there’s a button top left that switches from the Car Manager to the Engine Manager, where you can build stand-alone engines.

Cooling: That’s correct, albeit rather confusing to people; MTBF scales with available cooling, so if you build something too powerful for the current car to handle, engine MTBF will drop. If you build an engine outside of the context of a car, cooling is assumed to be 100kJ/s per L of engine capacity.

Ah ok, so the scale for those stats is normalized to 100%… ?

I think the coolest way to show economy would be using a “standard” comparison car chassis. Say, a 3500lb vehicle with a certain aero efficiency and etc… then it would be easier to compare dyno results??? idk… that is a tough one…
Even better, maybe, would be to use the amount of oxygen remaining in the exhaust. If you have “zero” oxygen, then your engine is considered to be efficient, wheras if you have remaining oxygen you are running lean, and if you have “negative” oxygen then you are running rich… ???

I’ll have to look closer for the button. I must be blind. That and its 2am…

Ooooohhhhh… so my MTBF is zero because I don’t have enough cooling? hmmmm… i guess my next car is gonna have hella grilles and vents everywhere!!!

Thanks for all your responses guys!

You’ll notice a little percentage next to the economy, try comparing your engines with that, it might be easier for you.

The scale for the stats is calibrated to be out of 100, but it can go slightly over, like this:

In one of your videos, you say 'Anything other than pushrod is way ahead of its time for 1954." That is not the case. The game is perfectly realistic about when certain parts are available. By 1954, even DOHC had been around for over 40 years.

[quote=“Jakgoe”]You’ll notice a little percentage next to the economy, try comparing your engines with that, it might be easier for you.

The scale for the stats is calibrated to be out of 100, but it can go slightly over, like this:
http://i58.tinypic.com/es8961.png[/quote]

Thanks!!!

Yes, but generally not for an American car. (yeah there were even some here in America, but they were the exception, not the rule) Americans tend to think they were the first and only, so if it wasn’t used here, it wasn’t used. Damn arrogant Americans! :wink:

Better even with all the racing stuff (dragsters, etc.), as soon as someone used DOHC and thus pwned the pushrod competition, that tech was banned right away :smiley: because pushrod is 'MURICA! and no one shall take our freedom*!
[size=50]*except for your own government that has become the very thing your founding fathers wanted to protect you from : ([/size]