Some questions

Hi all.
Just a few questions for you all.

Emissions: how is it calculated, what does it mean, how to make it better, and what would be average for a mid-line engine?

How are smoothness,loudness, and responsiveness calculated and factored to our engines?

How would you lower the emission output of an engine?

triple post much?
Emissions is just a generic calculated number, and to lower emissions, use cats or low the amount of fuel the engine uses/increase effeciancy.

Yup, main influences on it are fuel system type, fuel mixture, use of cats, but lots of other things tie in too like piston type, compression ratio etc.

Smoothness is mainly based on engine configuration (I6 is the best there) but also on lots of other stuff, loudness is mostly about exhaust design, responsiveness is a lot about fuel system, throttle count, fuel and timing adjustment etc.

Yes, please delete the other two posts.

Also, this: Engine Guide

Page 30 should have all the answers.

Depends on the year. Any specific year in mind?

Sorry I posted that from my phone, I was having some issues.
For the year, I was thinking like a modern, 2014 model. I’m just trying to see if my engines are up to par.

[quote=“KielEire”]Sorry I posted that from my phone, I was having some issues.
For the year, I was thinking like a modern, 2014 model. I’m just trying to see if my engines are up to par.[/quote]

Just ss one and post it here.

:cry: My response got deleted with the other post. :frowning:

Oh, whoops, I didn’t realize the other ones had replies when I nuked them. Sorry!

I guess my question is what is the general emission rating to strive for? I know higher is better, but compared to say, a Mazda 3, VW Golf, BMW 228, or Subaru WRX, what would be an acceptable level?

No worries. I made my reply to the other one while everyone else replied to this one. I guess I just picked the wrong one to reply on! haha

Right now, there are no emissions ratings to strive for. In the absence of regulations, it can be pretty much anything. :mrgreen: A lower number is better, though. You can’t compare automation’s emissions number with any real life numbers like % of CO or ppm of HC/NOx. The best you can do is re-create a real-life engine as best you can in Automation, then make your own engine with a better emissions number.

My company has 3 lines of engines.
Emerald-Economy(I try to keep emissions at least 20%.)
Eire-Standard(I usually do not bother tweaking unless it is under 15%)
Gaelic-Performance(I don’t even bother looking :smiling_imp: )

Is this a good baseline to stay with? :slight_smile:

You sure that’s emissions and not economy?

As for economy, I shoot for at least 15% with my 80 RON economy engines, and over 30% in the regular economy cars. As for emissions, I usually have around 300 to 400, IIRC.

You’re giving your economy which is like the thermal efficiency of the engine, that’s more in line with, though not directly related to, mpg or L/100km. the stat you want is emissions which is the one above it.

Emissions? Or economy? Emissions is just a number in the game (for now at least). Really good emissions could be less than 100 for something really modern, and not applicable for really old (pre-unleaded fuels and catalytic converters). As stated, it does not seem to correlate to any real world number per se. In the real world, they get lower each year, and it is presumable this will be true in game for production street cars. Prototype cars which will not see the road can be anything. The economy of an engine is measured percentages. Generally speaking, it means nothing other than general efficiency of the motor on the dyno. It doesn’t have any usable real world numbers (read “common”) associated with it until it is put into a car. It will then give you a mileage (liter/100 km, miles per gallon) which can relate to a marketable number for sales.

Emissions will have a huge range depending on the year the engine is made in, anything on leaded fuel isn’t even counted. With my company I set my limits at 3000 in 72, 1300 with manadatory converters in 74, 900 in 83, 700 in 87, 600 in 91, 400 in 97 and 200 in 01 for production engines. these vaguely line up with the dates for the energy crisis, the advent of the catalytic converter, the American CARB standards, and various federal regs and laws for clean air and auto emissions, again that’s in the US and only arbitrary numbers I picked for each. top 4 reductions are three way catalytic converters, fuel injection type (mpfi or DI), pistons type (hyperpneumatic or low friction) and then block and head material, aluminum is better then iron. hope that helps.

Err yes I meant Economy.
Thanks for the Emissions Info. That helped out alot too!

I uploaded quite a few motors in the Motor Sharing forum. If you dont mind, check them out and let me know how I am doing so far. :smiley:

I posted about how the emissions figures are poorly balanced a while back, and the response is relevent to your questions.

[quote=“Killrob”]

Yes they are! We haven’t looked into them for more than a year because that statistic is to tightly linked to the tycoon part that it makes little sense to invest lots of time into it now on rebalancing, only to find out that it has to be done differently later anyway. Your concerns are valid and the current emissions game mechanics broken. While we probably will not add any features to the engine designer, the dependencies and progressions regarding emissions will be reworked significantly. It won’t be as trivial as “Cat! Now I’m fine”. :slight_smile:[/quote]

So I wouldn’t worry about those figures for now… Sounds like it’ll be a good system. I can’t wait for the challenge of the 70’s malaise era.