State of Defence 2 - [RESULTS]

Yes it would

2 Likes
Ilaris Heavy Industries
LYNX
Light Tactical Support Vehicle

The IHI Lynx LTSV is the next leap in utility, usability and occupant protection. Lynx offers a full IED-resistant V-shaped underbody, full engine and drivetrain protection, raised suspension with disconnectable sway bars for superior off-road performance, four-wheel-drive with lockers, and a practically unkillable 5-liter straight-six. It’ll carry 2800 kilos and tow 2600 kilos, while a remotely operated mounted machine gun takes care of any bandits along the way. The engineering remains conservative to ensure a smooth transition between old and new vehicles, along with ease of acquisition of spare parts. No turbochargers to detonate, no alloy blocks to split apart, no complex air suspension or four-wheel-steering, just a vehicle that does what it needs to, and does it well, for as long as you would want it to do so. Less is more, and Lynx delivers on that.

Gallery

(A WIP photo)

9 Likes

goofy ahh windows

2 Likes
Hair Over Two Weeks Remain.
3 Likes

Considering the side windows look like this on the Oshkosh L-ATV, I wouldn’t say they’re too goofy ahh

More like, mildly funny ooh

6 Likes
One Week Remains.
2 Likes
Thirty Two Hours Remain.
I have entries from

@the-chowi
@Djadania
@Rise_Comics
@shibusu
@NamedByAFish

3 Likes

Will i get binned?

2 Likes

Phalanx Heavy Industries Presents:

LTAT-4 "Paladin"

The Definitive Light Tactical Armored Truck

Paladin represents the pinnacle of modern ground combat and transport, fusing advanced military vehicle design with integrated, intelligent battlefield sensors and networking. Packaged in a resilient and capable light truck, Paladin offers a major leap in ability for the Light Tactical Vehicle class.

Defense

Paladin’s armor is sloped at multiple angles to ensure no position grants a favorable firing solution on the vehicle or crew. The underbody is armored with the standard U-shaped hull expected of modern MRAP vehicles, and all windows are composed of multilayer ballistic glass with Kevlar reinforced edge seals.

Paladin is also equipped with a smoke deployment system, providing emergency cover to break a laser lock or cover retreat in the face of overwhelming firepower. Six smoke launchers (two on the hood and four on the roof) are equipped with four canisters each, enabling multiple uses of the smoke cover system on a single deployment.

Offense

Paladin can be equipped with a variety of weapons platforms, including traditional crewed LMG stations and heavier remote-operated cannons. The Paladin presented for consideration here comes with a three-barrel, 20mm autocannon operated from the front passenger seat and intended for vehicle combat and antimateriel fire. The light tactical vehicle is no longer limited to infantry support and light air deterrence missions; it is now a capable combat platform in its own right.

Traversal

Like all modern LTVs, Paladin employs an automatic transmission and four-wheel drive. Paladin’s 6.6L turbodiesel V8 pushes 834 ft-lbs of torque, and the dual-range 10-speed transmission is optimized for low speed patrols and long range traversals. With a 7.9-ton additional load capacity, and 4.2-ton towing capacity, you never need to worry about asking too much of Paladin.

Paladin’s innovative hydropneumatic suspension design enables on-the-fly ride height adjustment with onroad, offroad, towing, and river traversal presets pre-programmed. This means Paladin is always prepared for unexpected obstacles or sudden retasking, without needing to spend critical time in maintenance.

Networking

Paladin’s cabin is a state-of-the-art battlefield monitoring center. Multiple antennas and a phased array transceiver communicate with satellites and other networked vehicles to deliver accurate intel on all known friendlies and hostiles - greatly increasing unit effectiveness and practically eliminating the risk of friendly fire in even the most chaotic combat zones. Paladin’s own omnidirectional millimeter-wave radar system, front and rear cameras, and front-facing LIDAR provide Paladin’s onboard computers with a detailed image of its environment.

Additional features taking full advantage of Paladin’s networking and sensor suite (including Autonomous Lead-Follow Protocol, Intelligent Networked Target Identification, Limited Self-Driving, and more) may be available soon, pending Pentagon approval.

Gallery

7 Likes

my guy you have a tiny box with no protection whatsoever i dont think its going to do well

2 Likes
Entries are Closed.
Bins will be out very shortly due to small entry count and prescreening.

2 Likes
STATE OF DEFENCE 2
THE BIN LIST
@NamedByAFish - PHI LTAT-4 Paladin

Failed to meet prescribed requirements for safety (Incorrect Safety Tech Pool, Incorrect Safety Quality, Incorrect Weight Slider)

@Rise_Comics - Pittsburgh Arsenal LPV

Failed to meet prescribed requirements for safety (Incorrect Safety Tech Pool, Incorrect Safety Quality, Incorrect Weight Slider)

@Djadania - BetterDeals Frogger

No.

This leaves @shibusu and @the-chowi as the finalists.
5 Likes

The Frogger is such a meme build with regards to the premise of this challenge that it reminds me of this:

Yup, it is to IFVs as the Bob Semple is to tanks - it looked ridiculous, and wouldn’t have been of any use in any real fight, to put it politely.

2 Likes

Damn, I was kinda rooting for the Paladin to be honest. Well, a two horse race. Wish my competitor luck.

3 Likes

Hmm. I may have misunderstood what was meant by “safety tech pool” and “safety quality.” I’ve never used a setting called tech pool so I assumed that was just another word for quality. Is that not the case? Oh well, I’m pretty new to Discourse challenges so I’m probably wrong there.

I could have sworn my Weight Optimization was at zero, though.

2 Likes

“But it met all the regulations and no reason next to “no” was given for the bin!” Is what i would say but instead i say: Troll Complete; Return to HQ.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, techpool and quality are not the same setting. Under the quality slider there is a small box with a number in it. Click on that and you will see the techpool grid, which will look something like this:

3 Likes

Good to know! Now I won’t make that mistake again :+1:

STATE OF DEFENCE 2
Finals

Imperium SandBear LTV on the Left, Illaris Heavy Industries Lynx LTSV on the right

Here we arrive, at the final stage of design proposals. Between the IHI Lynx LSTV and Imperium SandBear LTV. Instead of a normal system, of one then the other, we will follow a Who was Better system, because we have only two cars.

Priority High: Cost Effectiveness, Offroad, and Reliability

The first series of tests, one that anyone should do, are the impacts of cost, effectiveness of movement over rough terrain, and Reliability.

Phase One: Cost Effectiveness

We advised a number of units per u1,000,000 spent. This would be how many cars could be purchased at the listed base sale price.

IHI’s offering would be able to provide 40 units per million
Imperium’s offering would be able to provide only 17 units per million.

This gives a hefty edge to the Lynx.

Phase Two: Offroad

Both vehicles were capable of undertaking offroad trials well beyond the expected levels.

IHI’s offering scored an 86.3 by our metrics.
Imperium’s offering scord an 85.1 by our metrics.

The slight edge goes to the Lynx

Phase Three: Reliability

Both vehicles undertook a long period service test, to understand where faults may be found over three vehicles.

IHI’s offering scored an 86.1 by our metrics.
Imperium’s offering scored an 88.1 by our metrics.

Imperium took the advantage in this area, with less faults over the test.

Priority Medium: Service Costs, Drivability, and Fuel Economy

Second series of tests to understand how useable these vehicles would be in use.

Phase One: Service Costs

We have a limited space for repairs, part simplicity is key.

IHI’s offering scored u839.5 for long-period standard maintenance
Imperium’s offering scored u1565.9 for long-period standard maintenance

The Lynx wins this section.

Phase Two: Drivability

Vehicles of this size are often hard to drive, we expect the applicants to have considered this.

IHI’s offering scored a 60.5 by our metrics
Imperium’s offering scord a 53.1 by our metrics

IHI takes the victory in this test.

Phase Three: Fuel Economy

Not the most important thing, but using less fuel on average is always a positive.

IHI’s offering gained an average of 15.1L/100km
Imperium’s offering gained an average of 18.2L/100km

IHI takes the victory in this test.

Priority Low: Safety, Utility, and 0-100km/h

The final, less important tests for these offerings. By know we have an image of which proposal we will be moving forward with.

Phase One: Safety

We know these proposals are capable of taking a hit, but which one takes longer to break.

IHI’s proposal scored an 87.0 by our metrics
Imperium’s proposal scored a 90.6 by our metrics

Imperium were considered the victors in this test.

Phase Two: Utility

Transporting goods and equipment are also something these proposals will move.

IHI’s offering scored a 70.1 by our metrics
Imperium’s offering scored a 79.8 by our metrics.

Imperium takes this point.

Phase Three: 0-100km/h

This one is mostly unimportant, but speed is still a beneficial part.

IHI’s offering took 14.1s to reach 100km/h over a number of tests.
Imperium’s offering took 8.23s to reach 100km/h over a number of tests.

Imperium were much faster.

Visual Notes

IHI Lynx LTSV

Visual design is positive, slightly weird shaped styling and looks a bit older than the 2020 model year, but would assist for development going forward

Imperium SandBear LTV

Built like a brick shithouse, with hefty plating aboard the body, fixed van shape may hamper versatility as a platform. Rivets look weird

Winner

We come down to the final scoring. Simple.

In second place, we have @the-chowi and the Imperium SandBear LTV.

• Unfortunately the cost was just such a hefty killer compared to the IHI.

The Winner of State of Defence 2 is @shibusu and the Illaris Heavy Industries Lynx LTSV.

• Being twice as cheap as the SandBear, as well as sweeping the medium priorities, the Lynx takes the W.

Thanks for listening.

5 Likes

Quite close competition; shame for the Sandbear’s cost, but the statistics were close nonetheless. Thanks for hosting a unique competition.

3 Likes