The 2022 Trafikjournalen 24h clunker challenge (FINAL RESULTS)

This customized Cambridge Wyvern is as properly British as your customized Markley Corydora (made for AGC24) is all-American. In fact, if you hadn’t entered the Corydora there, the Wyvern would have made a good substitute.

Well, I’m gonna expand on the characters here, I guess. No point editing the old post.
Also, all images were created using This Person Does Not Exist

The Rogue Traders

Estelle van Maserin

Driver Number 1
26, She/Her, GBR

Estelle is a bit of an airhead. She knows how to drive, she can drive well, but sometimes things go a little wrong. Maybe she misses a turn, or doesn’t go when it’s green, sometimes might accidentally double park on her own at 2am in a Tesco parking lot. Often, it isn’t her fault. At least according to her.

Luci Wightson

Driver Number 2
25, She/They, GBR

Of the three drivers, Luci is the only one who actually saw the car before purchase. Luci is probably the best driver of the bunch, they have their own track car, taking it to track days and whatnot. Maybe it’ll do them well, maybe not? Knowing how to nail a lap is something she can do anyway.

Claudi Amarello

Driver Number Three
26, He/Him, ITA

Claudi is an fine arts student, so he knows how to put stickers on a car. He’s someone that drives because it’s the convenient thing to do, he doesn’t have a car because he likes one. He’s here because Estelle told him it’d be a fun weekend doing some racing. He didn’t know what he was driving, or what he’d have to actually do.

Axell O’Brian

Mechanic/Support
25, She/Her, IRL

Axell cannot drive. Axell, however, has been working in her dad’s autorepair shop since she was sixteen. This means that, due to being Luci’s friend, she has been drafted in to play Mechanic for the event. What she has done in the time between seeing the car, and having to be at the track, is made a custom front bumper, a flimsy side pipe, a roof scoop for cabin cooling, and some rock sliders just in case. Axell also knows everything wrong, but is refusing to tell the others what is.

2 Likes

Team Oxracers, Ep. 3: The die is cast (and so are the engine components)

Worst headline pun ever?

Previous post (including a link at the bottom to who my team is inspired by)

Upon arrival, the first thing Jane does is put the Kando on the hoists in her garage to inspect it top to bottom.

“How are you going to modify it?” wonders Mary after Jane had her first intensive look around (and underneath) and had taken some notes.

“I have my ideas of course, but first, we need to make some rolls, of course. Techpool and quality.”

Michael enters the room with a die and instructions in hand. “I brought you something.”

“Thank you.” Jane picks up the paper from Michael and reads: "Make two separate rolls for each engine and trim component. The first one determines techpool: 1d6+1 with five as the maximum. The second one determines quality with 1d6-1 as the maximum. " She thinks for a second. “Nice. So everything above 4 is max techpool, or, in other words, a 50% chance for max techpool. And quality is linear.”

“That works.” Michael is happy for a change. “Now roll something good, please.”

“Engine family first… Four. And another Four.”

“So that’s a… +5 in engine family techpool?” Michael wonders after some quick calculations in his head.

“Yes, the maximum. And up to +3 in family quality”, Jane confirms. “Next, bottom end. Five! Another +5 techpool. And a useful one. And Three for Quality. Not great, but have to do.”

“Aren’t Seongu engines these weird undersquare ones?” wonders Michael.

“Yes. Engine architecture dating back decades. I think they initially cut a pre-war I6 in half or something and stuck with it. You can’t rev it - so it’s gonna be a turbo for us, one way or another.” Jane rolls again. "Two. And Three.“

“So +…3 for top end techpool?”

"Yes. Which isn’t that important for a turbo… which is next. Three… and Four!“ Jane announced.

“+4 turbo techpool and +3 quality, not too bad. Next is… Fuel system?”

“Yes. A Five! Gonna be useful for reliability. And… Yes! Six!”

“Nice. Critical success! What does that mean?”

Jane has to consult the sheet of paper again. “You can make a somewhat unrealistic choice.”

“And what would that be?”

“I don’t know yet. But I’d be happy just about the +5 quality option for fuel system. Always important. Looked pretty good under the hood, too, so that works out.”

“Last is exhaust?”

"Yes. And… a Two. And Four. Bummer. I like exhaust stuff for cheap quality. “

Meanwhile, Corazon has entered the garage as well, just in time to silently observed Jane rolling and Michael commenting on success and failure of the engine components. Mary meanwhile has moved to a workbench on the opposite side of the garage to draw what looks like large letters on half-transparent paper.

“Okay. Now chassis. Techpool first. One!” Jane exclaims, more enthusiastically than appropriate for the roll.

“Oh no!” Corazon exclaims. "Critical failure!“

“That means…” Jane reluctantly glances at the sheet of paper next to her. “You have to set techpool to +2 or lower and quality between -2 and 0 so that the sum of the two is 0 or lower.”

“Oh no”, Corazon repeats, clearly too quickly after Jane’s statement to be able to properly understand the quite convoluted rule. “And the chassis is the most important part of the car.” He states the obvious.

“Further”, Jane continues. “You cannot change any settings compared to the base car, unless stipulated by the rules for the challenge, or unless you roll a critical success for that component later on.”

“So we are stuck with McPherson fronts, Torsion rears?” Michael asks increduously.

“For the time being, yes. And we are stuck with the rust that’s I’ve seen on the chassis, as well, of course.”

Is that what the Oxracers will have to roll with?

Corazon and Michael exchange worried glances.

“If I am not mistaken, we are also going to be severely constrained by the ET limit”, Jane adds. “Chassis is expensive. So this was the worst possible time for the first critical fail.”

“Carry on!”, commands Corazon, undaunted.

“Nah, I think I’ll need a break for a while. Think I’ll have a good second look at the engine in the meantime.”

“Most things I can live with”, Michael mumbles while Jane is off to lower the Kando from the hoist. “But not the chassis failure, that’s going to suck!”

Meanwhile, Mary at the other end of the garage ponders where to place certain letters of their sponsorship for maximum effect…

OOC: Could that be an idea for a future challenge? People roll 1d6 on techpool and quality and have to work with that? Sounds like a bit of a nightmare to organise though…

1 Like

My first thought: “this is weird”

Seconds later: “Uhm…two headed wolves… nevermind.”

2 Likes

probably

2 Likes

Team Slow

Previous parts.

Part 0: Prologue
The 2022 Trafikjournalen 24h clunker challenge (OPEN FOR SUBS!) - #34 by interior

Part 1, It will make it to the races, maybe?

(OOC: This one is rather short.)

After giving the shitbox some tuning, we decided to go inspect the car, the issues were SHOCKING, For one, the vehicle was probably too rusty to be roadworthy, but the patchwork does its wonders, well, for the duration of the race, Matt complains about the gearbox whine whilst Izzy implies straight-cut gears do whines. As they went to a stop, they noticed fluid leaking from the car, It’s power steering.

The team decided to back to the garage till they noticed the engine RPMs going up and down, not even at redline.

Matt: The gearbox is… Questionable,

Izzy: But, shouldn’t we be more worried about the rust?

As Izzy starts having a look at the vehicle she says “I think this car wasn’t a good candidate” as she puts down her flashlight onto the toolbox. “Even that old Japanese luxury car I used to have wasn’t as rusty as this.”, Matt replies to Izzy as he looks at the oxidised connectors.

“Be careful with those”, he shouted, As he went to see if the front suspension works properly by shaking the vehicle “It’s a lost, cause?” he said. Izzy replies back with a "In this kind of racing we don’t worry about that, don’t you remember Shitbox Rally?. Matt says back to her “Oh right, the other cars had issues too. Oh well, it’ll live.” Some time passes, and they both agree to keep the vehicle for the whole race.

Izzy: I guess we got no other choice but to race with this.

Matt: We should make the best out of it anyway.

Izzy: Sure.

Matt: You really are wanting to drive in this clunkers race, I’m seeing it right now.

Izzy: Yeah, I’ve wanted to do this for a long time, but I was busy.

Matt: Busy? You’ve been sitting there on that couch all day

Izzy: That’s besides the point, We can see how well it performs on the day the race starts though!

4 Likes

Team Schrott Racing

Part 0: Prologue

Crew

Driver 1: Edvīns Caune 22

Edvins

Athletic, 179 cm high. Might not know much about mechanical part of cars, but likes them since childhood. Is a good driver on paved road. He is the initiator of the idea and brought the different people in the team together.

Driver 2: Jēkabs Helmanis 22

Jekabs

Chubby, 175cm high. He is friends with Edvīns since first grade and both grew up in the same town. After 9th grade he studied as mechanic in technical school, isn’t that good of a mechanic, but fairly good driver especially on dirt roads.

Driver 3: Markku Korhonen 24

Markku

Muscular, 185cm high. He met Edvīns and Paula in a bar, while they were on a skiing trip in Finland. Doesn’t speak much, let’s his driving do the talking. Has a heavy “Rally Finnish” accent. Is a bit of a “Dudesons” fan and always up for crazy s*it.

Reserve/Logistics: Paula Vintere 21

Paula

Athletic, 172cm high. Girlfriend of Edvīns, both met as teens in local sports event. She studies physiotherapy and likes extreme sports, always up for a new challenge. Thinks she is a good driver, but is more aggressive than good. She is organized that’s why everyone elected her to do the logistics on the trip.

Mechanic: Daniels Jansons 18

Daniels

Slim, 183cm high. Studies as mechanic in the same technical school as Jēkabs once did. In contrast to Jēkabs he is a good mechanic some say even a prodigy. Can get a bit unchained when drunk.

All faces are ai generated by https://generated.photos/face-generator/new

Car

Schwarzburg Aviso B 1986

Latvia, Rīga, Small apartment near city border

Edvīns: Sitting on the couch, surfing social media “Hey Paula did you see the ad on this years Clunker race in Sweden?”
Paula: Sitting by her desk, turns to Edvīns surprised “The What?!”
E: “A 24 hour race with old junk cars on their last breath”
P: “First time I’m hearing of it.”
E: “I think it would be cool to take part, and Sweden isn’t that far.”
P: “You know I am up for any new challenge, so why not”
E: “Ok that was quick, I thought it would take longer to convince you.”
P: “Well it sounds cool, but if it’s 24 hours don’t we need more drivers and even a mechanic?”
E: “I am already texting Jēkabs.”
P: “I hope he is not the mechanic of your choice.”
E: “Come on, I don’t really know anybody else who can drive and repair at the same time. Ok lets say he is on reserve list of mechanics, that I can admit”
P: “Ok, by the way what’s with the Finnish guy, Markku, we met on our trip? He said he likes racing.”
E: “Oh yeah, have to call him up too.”
E: Phone buzzes “Ok Jēkabs will come by after work, so we can discuss everything”
E: Opens contacts tab on phone, scrolls till finds “Markku the 5th Dudeson”. Presses “Call” ''Hey Markku"
Markku: “Helo”
E: “Have you heard about the 24 hour clunker race in Sweden this year?”
M: “No”
E: “But it’s next to you in Sweden?”
M: “Eksaktli”
E: “Oh got it, you and the Sweden, I think you told me that story, but would you race with us? Maybe get revenge?”
M: “Ok.”
E: “Ok see you!”
M: Hangs up
P: “Is he in?”
E: “Yup.”

To be continued…

1 Like

Team Oxracers, Ep. 4: If life gives you a lemon … roll with (and for) it

Previous post

After a short while, Lucas joins the other three when Jane wants to continue the rolls, this time for the trim components. Meanwhile, Mary is still frantically drawing lines and curves on large sheets of paper at the other end of the garage.

Jane announces: “Okay, let’s start with the 1d6 rolls for the chassis components. Thanks to the critical failure earlier, the only thing that matters is a 6, so that we can at least change the component if we want.”

“And we need to”, Michael emphasises. “This is prime shitbox suspension.”

“Alright, here goes nothing.” Jane sounds a bit more enthusiastic than she perhaps has the rights to be. “Two… Four… Five… Three… Six! Yes!”

“That’s for front suspension?” Michael asks hopeful.

“Ye-hes. No McDonalds for us… erm… MacPherson… if we don’t want to.”

“And we don’t want to, right?” wonders Lucas.

“Noo, we most certainly don’t want to”, answers Michael.

“And… Two - for the rear suspension. So we have to keep everything, including the rust-on-the-steel, but can swap out the front suspension for something more useful. I’ll make sure to get some parts.”

Jane rolls again and stares for a while at the top of the die.

“What is it?”

“Another Critical One”, Jane admits sheepishly. “Car body techpool. And that with all the rust and patches already in place.”

No changes here for the Oxracers, unfortunately

“You are bad at this!”, Corazon exclaims. “Let me roll!”

Jane holds the 1d6 die far up in the air, out of easy reach for Corazon. “Your job is to drive. My job is to make this thing fast. So let me do my job!”

“Fine.” Corazon folds his arms and pouts.

“Now car body quality: Three. Not that it matters as 0 is essentially the maximum after our crit failure for car body techpool. Next, drivetrain. Five! And Two.”

“That’s better”, Michael states. “At least the techpool.”

“And at least not another critical failure!” Corazon is still sulking and starts to get bored to boot.

“And important since this thing at needs a LSD and different gearing. The quality rolls will hardly matter from now on anyway. I suspect the front suspension swap will eat almost all ET that we are allowed… IF we can actually make the swap work under ET restrictions.”

“Sacrifice everything for that, if necessary, please”, pleads Michael.

“Sacrifice. I like the sound of it”, states Jane, a bit too gleefully and reminiscent of an entirely different context before she returns to a more relaxed tone. “Wheels next. Another Five. And… critical 6!”

“Wohoo - where the rubber meets the road!” Corazon’s mood swings from one extreme to the next in an instant. “What does it mean?”

Jane repeats the rule for critical success on quality rolls from earlier. “You can make a somewhat unrealistic choice.”

“And what’s that going to be here?” wonders Michael.

“Well…” Jane starts. “Do you think there are many types of cheap wide low-profile 13 inch tyres out there? And we’ll need all the grip we can get.”

“Fair point”, Michael concedes.

Jane continues. “Okay: Brakes. Four. And another Four. So another max techpool, at least.”

At the other end of the garage, Mary has now moved on from hasty pencil sketches to careful drawing on half-transparent paper for her work on ‘sponsorship’ for the race.

"Aero. Five! Yes - spoiler time! And… Boo. Critical failure on aero quality. "

“Did we have that before?” wonders Corazon.

“I don’t think so. All my crit failures were for techpool so far.” Jane has another look at the sheet of paper next to the die on the table. “You have to set the maximum negative quality allowed, so -2.” She frowns.

“Did they actually make body kits for this… fridge?” Michael sounds very skeptical.

“If they did… my friend Ludo* will either have one in his junkyard storage area or know where to get one.” Jane sounds reassured. “Not that it will matter much with -2 in aero quality.”

“True.”

“Now Interior. Four for techpool.”

“At least I’ll be comfortable when driving.” Corazon also sounds reassured.

“Or so you think”, Jane counters. “And… Two for quality. Not that it matters, because I am going to gut everything anyway!”

Michael is a bit taken aback by Jane’s gleeful announcement. “Add lightness?” he suggests meekly. Corazon suddenly looks less reassured.

Jane continues undaunted. “Steering… oh no! Critical failure again! And… Critical success for quality! How do these two rules go together then? Max techpool… 0? And quality -2?”

“That one shouldn’t matter either way”, Michael stated. “I drove it here, and it was quite light to begin with, even without power steering. Or ABS.”

“So there is one thing you like about the car?” Jane retorts. Michaels answer is a dead stare.

“Okay, safety”, Jane continues. “And another Critical One! And a Two.”

“So we all are going to die?” Lucas wonders, with a worried undertone.

“No, only the person who crashes the car while driving”, Jane corrects nonchalantly. This does little to assuage Lucas’ fear.

“I am going to rip out all of the few safety features this thing actually has anyway to ‘add lightness’”, she announced enthusiastically, with a side glance to Michael. “So this doesn’t matter, really.”

Michael agrees. “Rust does not give much impact protection either.”

“And, last one, suspension: Three. And Four. Not too bad, all in all.”

“So, and what does that all mean now?” Corazon seems to be really impatient now. “Is the car good or what?”

“It’s going to be good”, Jane assures. “As good as I can make it. Now to take a closer look again and hatch some plans for modifications.” Jane smirks and rubs her hands together.

At the other end of the garage, Mary also smirks as she looks at her first drafts for their ‘sponsorship’.

* A tiny bit of foreshadowing for the next episode perhaps for anyone reading this and being familiar with knowledge of German reality TV / documentary series of the 2000s....
4 Likes

Could it be?

Summary

Die Ludolfs

3 Likes

Yes. Too bad I haven’t found anything beyond an English Wikipedia article about them. The rest of the world is truly missing out…

2 Likes

Added a list of claimed starting numbers in post #1
A little less than a week left now! :slight_smile:

1 Like

TRAFIKJOURNALEN WEB
22nd OF SEPTEMBER 2022

After a month of work (well, slow that is), our beige bargain is starting to become race-ready. I mean, what’s needed on such a beast anyway? Some tape on the headlights will hopefully keep them together if the fighting gets too rough. A sawzall and some creative welding made the 60s cast iron pig under the bonnet sing songs of freedom! The brown velour interior bits are in a trash container somewhere, missed by nobody, and replaced by a simple cage and racing seat. Starting numbers, because racecar, and the most beautiful decals the world have ever seen is crowning this beautiful creation.

Get ready to see this on the track, only time will tell if it is a golden nugget or just metallic misery!

3 Likes

…more…

Bubblegum

by Mons Racing backyard garage project

It’s still pink. It’s still angry. It’s still indestructible.

Mons Racing recently acquired a number of broken down barges and decided to tune them up for various rally/derby/clunker races. And so the line of bubblegum barges was born. Bespoke tuned for each race event, these cars are large, heavy, more or less reliable, and ... not entirely slow. Well, they are faster than when they arrived from the scrap yard in any case.

For the 2022 Trafikjurnalen 24h clunker challenge the driving team consists of three lucky winners of the “Mons Bubblegum Raffle”:

Jorgen Halferson, 24, M
Vanessa Gotel, 28, F
Caleb Ryan, 45, M

They all signed the waivers, so Mons Customs cannot be held liable for whatever happens to them. We have no clue how well they can drive. All we know is: their jaw muscles are well trained after all that bubble gum chewing. :bubbles:

Additionally, two mechanics from the Mons Customs garage will attend the event, just in case the car needs a tune-up or something. Not that we expect anything to go wrong…

Last but not least, our racing number is 13 113. Something something clerical errors, delays, and someone already claimed our number. No worries, we’ll just paint a tiny additional 1 on there.

All right, here we come!

4 Likes

Part 1: In search for a car

Intro

Part 0 The 2022 Trafikjournalen 24h clunker challenge (OPEN FOR SUBS!) - #73 by Rudzis

Latvia, Rīga, Small apartment, A few hours later

Doorbell rings

Paula: “Can you get it?”
Edvīns: “Sure babe” Walks to the door, looks trough peephole and unlocks door
Jēkabs: “Hey, long time no see!”
E: “Been a while,… true. Come in.”
J: Takes of his coat and shoes “So who had the amazing idea? Was it you?”
E: “Yeah I thought it would be fun and we have always wanted to take part in some kind of race”
J: “Nice that you remembered.”
Both walk to the livingroom
J: Sees Paula “Hi!”
P: Looks up from her PC “Oh, Hi!”
J: Still facing Paula “And you were up for it?”
P: “Yup, you don’t need to ask me twice for a new challenge.”
J: Nods his head “True, sound like you.”
E: “So, since the technical expert is here you have to give your opinion on cars we found.”
J: Looks at both Edvīns and Paula “You have been busy huh?”
P: “Well there isn’t much choice with our budget, and we still need money to get to Sweden and preferably back.”
J: “That’s fair, so hit me with the choice.”
E: “So we have a shortlist of Schwarzburg Aviso, a SAZ Kopeyka and a Gattu…”
Jēkabs interrupts even before Edvīns finishes his sentence
J: “No! Not a Gattusso for cheap, that’s begging for trouble.”
E: “So the SAZ or the Schwarzburg?”
J: “The SAZ is built fairly simple and cheap, like anything from Soviet Union. So it would be easy to work on, but would anybody sit in that rattling toolbox for more than a hour?”
E: “Yeah, fair point, I still want my back in one piece and still being able to hear something”
P: “So it’s the Schwarzburg?”
J: “Looks like it.”
E: “By the way, have you got anybody in mind who would be a mechanic for our crew?”
J: “So I’m not good enough?”
E: “You know it yourself, you barely made trough technical school.”
J: “I still have some basic knowledge! But I might have somebody in mind, some even call that guy a
''prodigy”. " nods to Edvīns phone on the coffee table “So, show me what you found.”
E: “Well, we should call him for more info, there is only one picture in the ad.” finds the saved ad on his phone “Look”

J: “Have you seen the plates?”
E: “No, what’s with them?”
J: “They are German number plates” looks up from phone “Ether it’s not registered here or it’s not the picture of the actual car he is selling.”
P: “I think we should at least call, we don’t have much choices.”
E: “Ok, will call the owner,” looks at Jēkabs “and you call your prodigy, ask if he is up for it.”
J: “On it.”

To be continued…

5 Likes

Team Oxracers, Ep. 5: Rolling up the sleeves (but getting some parts first)

Previous post

After Jane has finished her closer inspection of the Kando, she drew up a list of parts to get in order to modify the car for the 24h race.

During her inspection, she had been joined by Lucas who had kept asking her car engineering questions. “Can I join you? I’d like to learn more about finding good parts.”

Jane thinks for a second. “Yes, you can maybe help us getting stuff from the top shelves.”

Lucas is momentarily taken aback. “Sure.”

“And you’ll also learn how to conduct shrewd negotiations”, adds Mary while getting into Jane’s trusty Saarland Siegel Pilger. “What are we after?”

Jane has a look at her list. “Main things are a turbo and other engine stuff not to make the thing explode right away. And, of course, a new front suspension to exploit our critical success roll. The narrow track width will make finding something challenging, but my friend has everything - and what he doesn’t have he can get pretty quickly. Oh, and some bodykit parts, perhaps.”

“Where are we going?” wonders Lucas.

"To a friend of mine, Ludo. He operates a junkyard and has the largest collection of car parts you’ve ever seen.“ Jane pauses for a second… “He is a bit special, though.”

"What does that mean?“

“You’ll see", is all Jane says as they turn on to the road.

After a short drive they arrive at a nondescript and a bit rundown brick building.

"That’s it?“ Lucas wonders, as he exits the Saarland.

“What did you expect?" Jane laughs. “A palace? This is a palace to him alright, and the junkyard is behind the building.”

To enter, they have to ring a bell. The door is buzzed open immediately. “I let him know that we’ll come. Otherwise we’d have to wait”, Jane explains.

They make their way through a narrow hallway towards a badly lit room with a counter at the front. The area behind the counter is full of boxes, palettes and assorted car parts.

“That’s quite some stuff.” Lucas is astonished.

“And totally chaotic”, Mary adds.

“That’s nothing. He has tens of thousands of times more in the back." Jane rings the bell on the otherwise empty counter.

After a short while, a man of indeterminable age in a greasy blue overall and long scraggy black hair shuffles into the room.

Mary and Lucas exchange amused looks.

"Hello, Jane. You said - need parts?“ he mumbles.

"Yes!“ Jane is considerably more enthusiastic than Ludo. “Seongu Kando Mk2. We want to take it racing.”

“Kando? Racing? Kidding, right?” Ludo seemed unimpressed.

“No!”, Jane replied in a half-failed attempt maintain her enthusiasm. “That’s what we rolled.”

“Rollin around in, you mean?” Ludo mumbled. “What you need?”

“Small turbo, double wishbone suspension parts, spoilers, and some extra wide 13 inch wheels. Rollcage bits, too, if you have any.”

Ludo pondered things for a second or two. “Model year?”

Jane has to think for a moment as well. “1992.”

“3-door or 5-door?”

“3-door.”

“Some weird stuff for a Kando. Have to have a look. Can take a bit.” Ludo shuffles back through the back door.

Jane’s two friends had watched Ludo’s exchange with Jane and his mannerisms in awe and astonishment. “You don’t want to know how it looks back there”, Jane adds.

“You do know?” Lucas is eager to know more. Meanwhile, Mary can’t help but look through the boxes placed haphazardly on the shelves around the room.

“Yes. Wait, I think I still have a photo from the one time he allowed me back in there.” Jane flips through a number of old photos on her phone. “Found it!”

24h-2022-5b_Storage

Lucas stares at the photo with an open mouth. “And he finds stuff… In there? This guy?” Mary joins Lucas after a short while to look at the picture on Jane’s phone.

“Yes. You’ll be amazed. If you noticed, there is no computer here, and there is no computer in the back room either. It’s all in his head.”

Lucas wants to know more. “How many parts does he have in store here? Thousands?”

“Hard to tell, as he can find stuff, but not list a complete inventory. Hundreds of thousands at least, if not millions.”

Lucas shakes is head in disbelief and tries to get a peek into the back room from leaning over the counter, but unsuccessfully.

“There is a small performance intake in one of the boxes - ‘hardly used’, whatever that means”, Mary reports. “Could it fit the Kando? The box says ten horsepower.”

“We take it”, Jane decides after a quick look.

Ludo returns. “I have some wide small wheels. Not the newest, but they should fit, probably. Suspension parts, too, for narrow track width but you have to make them fit.” He takes a deep breath before continuing. “I have some old small wastegate turbos, too. But I also have a Kando in the yard. Rear ended. Many things from the front should still be good. Have a look and let me know what you need.”

"Where?“

Ludo closed his eyes for a second. “Third row, second from the right.”

“Thanks, we’ll check it out.”

“Alright, I open the gate, and get some bits out in the meantime so you can build a roll cage.”

The three Oxracers make their way to Ludo’s junkyard…

OOC: Ludo is based on some of these folks (time index gives a glimpse into the storage area): Die Ludolfs - Die Schrottbrüder - SWR Reportage - Teil 1 von 2 - Video .......Oeni - YouTube (unfortunately only in the language of the… well… insert inappropriate ww2 joke here :grin:)

4 Likes

Mopey - Well it looks an awesome car…wish I could dri-
Spanners - NO!
Mopey - But it was only a littl-
Spanners - NO!

Crackle arrives

Crackle - Erm hey Mopey, Spanners.
Mopey - Hey Crac…WAIT! What do you mean “Mopey”
Crackle - So, the car…I asked a mate to look over it and-
Spanners - Is he a mechanic?
Mopey - “Mopey”?
Crackle - Yeah, he’s lead foreman at FM and-
Spanners - And what did he have to say?
Mopey - Why “Mopey”?
Crackle - He said something along the lines of…“This is a flipping travesty of automotive engineering done rather badly.”
Spanners - He said what?
Crackle - “This is a flipp-”
Spanners - Actual words, please, mate!
Crackle - He said it was a fucking deathtrap and anyone driving it could die!
Mopey - What a shame I can’t drive it…now, about this “Mopey”.
Spanners - HOW bad, exactly?

Snap appears

Snap - You told him yet?
Crackle - Was just about to.
Snap - Just fill up the washer bottle and we’re good to go!
Spanners - What??
Crackle - Front suspension isn’t the OE spec, neither’s the rear but at least that’s bolted ONTO the bodywork with proper bolts…not woodscrews.
Spanners - Is that all?
Crackle - Fuel lines are more akin to a rollercoaster in the way it’s laid out. Tyres are almost Picards. I’ve replaced a hole, he pushed his finger through, with tape and repainted it. Brakes look like they’re off a Model T. Water pump is leaking and the power steering doesn’t look like anything he’s seen before.
Snap - And the turbo’s a bit whiny. Oh hey Mopey!
Spanners - Well, it only has to run for 24 hours…what could possibly go wrong in that time?
Mopey - “MOPEY”???

5 Likes

Team Prognosis Negative

Rollcall

Anna, 18 yrs old, self-pronounced activist that might go into polsci.

• Role: Driver, marketing and social media
  • Outgoing, outspoken, does not really understand humor (don’t tell her). She’s a bit oblivious, she changes her cause often, but she’s the de facto leader of the outfit

Johan, 18 yrs old, prepping for higher education in Finance or Law or something else?

• Role: Driver, could maybe handle spreadsheets (who are we kidding here?)
  • Young, posh, fearless, likes to party. Money comes from family, never had to work a day in his life.

Anton, 19 yrs old, prepping for higher education in Engineering

• Role: Driver, assistant mechanic
  • Reserved, geekier, but still hanging out with the cool guys. Works part time in his father’s garage, comes from a lower class family.

Josef, 35 years old, Anton’s uncle

• Role: Mechanic
  • Gruff, no patience for stupidity, has other fry to fish but his brother asked him politely to help Anton - he could not refuse.

Chapter I - Finding a car

Johan
got lEd on a kewl (_!_) car!
orly?
93 regal touring estate (octane tuned!)
based!
fuk yeah!
will let Anna know

* warning: the above was allegedly translated from Swedish and liberties were taken in translating text speech - it is clearly just not the author making things up and being old/out of touch.

Anton was excited. They talked about trying out for the Trafikjournalen 24h Clunker race, but his father told him he needed to find his own car. Johan had about 10,000 from his family just lying around and Anna crowdfunded about 3,500 extra, so they had a good budget for this. Evidently, Anton was stuck trying to find a car.

The guy that contacted Anton on marketplace was pretty cool.

Some Guy on Marketplace
Got something that might interest you, pretty rad car, I have it here at my yard.
what is it!?
93 regal touring estate, tuned by octane racing. A real looker.
never heard, can I see?
Might need a bit of work.
how much?
What's your budget?
errr, just tell me how much
I do not have time to waste for a nobody with no money. Bye.
13,500! that's how much we got!!
Hmmmm... lemme think.

Now Anton was excited, he agreed to meet him and get to see the car, he was to meet Johan and Anna at the scrap yard.

He guessed that at that price, it might need a bit of work, but he already talked to his father and his uncle Josef will help get the car in shape for the race.

Anton joined Anna and Johan a bit late, they were already talking with the guys - a early 20 mechanic looking guy with a cap and a smoke.

Johan - “Man we’re excited Anton! He’s telling us all about the car…”

Anna - “It has a 3.5L 250 hp turbo with AWD, racing tuned and sports suspension, it was tuned by Régal’s racing outfit Octane.”

Marketplace Guy - “It’s the bomb. As I said, there is a bit of work that needs to go in it…”

They followed the guy inside.

Marketplace Guy - “You got the money right? I have 5 other people coming in later - you sneeze and you lose it. Not here to waste time.”

Anton - “No sir.”

A bit of uneasy silence settled in. They each felt pressure but it was too awkward to tallk about it here.

The guy opened the door and the stepped in the bay to unveil this beauty…

The big reveal

93 Régal Touring (Octane Edition)

The trio was stunned. If we could read their minds, they would have said in unison “WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!”

But no one was a psychic and they all stood there, awkwardly.

Marketplace Guy - “So for 13,500 I can get it delivered to you. I would check the direction before driving it. Should be structurally sound. It’s a bargain, a mint copy would be around 100,000!! This one is even race ready, all but the driver’s seats were removed.”

It was not a mint copy tho, but looked cool… (really??) Badges were missing, some seemed to have been moved or replace with stickers, I guess it could happen said Anton to himself.

They all looked at each other, but no one blinked or said “Hell no! we’re not taking that piece of shit.”.

Johan - “So, err, venmo’s ok right?”

Marketplace Guy - “Sure, just tell me where you want me to drop it.”

A long pause, Anton and Anna tried to smile to each other to appear excited, but both were panicking inside.

Johan - “Ok, so, money was sent, you, err, got it?”

Marketplace Guy - “Sure did!! The key cylinder is broken, but here, take this metal stick, it fits in and you can force it to turn to start the car. Nice doing business with ya.”

The guy fakes a call and got out of there.

The trio was standing there in silence.

Anton - “Well we got a car for clunker, I guess” he mumbled that last part

Johan - “Yeah, one more check on the list, right?”

Anna - “We bought a piece of shit right? And we gave him all our money?”

Johan - “When you put it that way… why didn’t you stop me!?”

As the voices raised, a full blown argument erupted and lasted all the way back home. Anton was to ask his uncle to come check the car and assess the damage, and if it could run in time for the race.

Ahh, to be young and careless.

At least they had a car for the 24h Clunker…

'93 Régal Touring (Octane Edition)

Isn't it a beauty?

• 3.5L Inline 6 Turbo with 350 hp
  • All-Wheel Drive with sports suspension
  • Full aluminum panels and lighweight chassis
  • Alloy sports wheels
  • 6 speed manual transmission with torque sensing diff

to be continued…

3 Likes

Just a reminder: A little over 3 days left now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Team Oxracers, Ep. 6: One Kando’s trash is another Kando’s treasure?

Previous post

Jane, Mary and Lucas make their way into Ludo’s junkyard where lots of abandoned cars sit, all waiting for Ludo to take the good bits out and add to his massive inventory.

They find the red crashed Kando without a problem, close to the main storage building.

They all take a good look around the car. “It looks like one of the SXes, turbocharged”, Jane comments surprised.

“Obviously.” Mary points at the big TURBO decal on the front doors.

Jane continues. “They are quite rare, I think. But good news for us, as there is a lower front lip added to the front bumper.”

“There seems to another part inside, a plasticky bit”, Lucas points out.

Jane takes a peek through the half-shattered glass. “Looks like the rear spoiler. Must have fallen right off during the rear impact, and someone helpfully put it inside. Together with the intact front bumper, that makes a complete aero kit.”

“Do you think Seongu actually took it into a wind farm? Or is it just decoration?”

“Wind tunnel”, Jane corrects. “Either way, it’s the best we can get.”

“Maybe the crash impact made it more aerodynamic?” Mary suggests.

Jane shrugs. “I’ll bolt these on to our Kando and then we’ll see what happens.” She starts to unscrew the front bumper while Lucas opens the door with quite some force and reaches into the car to take the rear spoiler out, careful not to touch any of the shattered glass.

Jane hands the scavenged front bumper to Lucas who has to balance the two quite unwieldy plastic parts. Mary just stands nearby and watches them both.

Afterwards, Jane dives into the engine bay. “Yes, same base engine as ours, but with a turbo. So we don’t need Ludo’s turbos from storage.” She extracts the outwardly undamaged turbo and fuel injection units. “This looks actually quite pristine in there”, she comments. “I think I grab the alternator as well, looks much better than the one in our Kando. What’s the mileage on this?”

Mary peeks through the driver window. “55000 miles. Not that much.”

“This looks a bit like being back from a recent big service where a couple of parts were replaced”, Jane wonders. “The mileage roughly aligns with the common service intervals. Let me check something.” She places the alternator on the a dry patch of mud in the yard and squats down to inspect the Kando’s wheels.

“Almost fresh brakes, from what I can see. The SX had vented discs all the way round, unlike the example we have back home. Hope the rear ones are still ok. Help me get the wheels off really quick”, she directs Mary.

Lucas is still standing there with the front bumper and the rear spoiler on his two hands. “Fresh brakes have not helped them that much”, he comments.

Jane shrugs. “Or braked too well. They only got rear ended, the front is intact, after all.” Lucas is too stunned to react verbally.

After a short while, the Kando in the yard has lost all four wheels and brakes. Jane balances the detached wheels against the Kando’s side. With Mary’s help, they carry the rest of the salvaged parts back to Ludo.

“Quite a haul”, Ludo comments on their re-appearance while pointing to the counter, now filled with suspension parts, a limited slip differential with visible signs of wear, and a number of metal tubes and bars for their roll cage. “You still have your Saarland wagon?”

Jane nods.

“Alright, I’ll deliver the tyres later today. You should be able to fit the rest.”

"Thank you so much, Ludo! How much for everything?“

He starts to scribble numbers on a dirty sheet of paper.

“Before you say us the final amount…” Mary begins. Ludo looks up. She continues. “As Jane said earlier, we are going to take part in a race. Quite a long one actually. 24 hours straight.”

“Yes?”

“We can add your website to our car if you like. Think of it as sponsorship.”

Ludo thinks for a few seconds, then continues scribbling. When he is finished with writing numbers, he crosses out the top five positions on the paper and adds the rest up. “That’s then two hundred pounds. Send me pictures of your car with my website on it, will ya?”

When getting out the cash, Jane tries to hide that she brought a considerably larger amount of bills. As soon as Ludo has received the money, he vanishes back into his storage area.

As they left with their first part of their haul, Lucas noticed something. "We did tell him the race is in Sweden? So that the sponsorship might not be that valuable to him…?

“No, we didn’t”, Mary explains with suppressed amusement. “He didn’t ask either.”

After a short period of surprise, Jane beams proudly at Mary.

It takes a while for them, but they indeed manage to fit all the parts into the large Saarland station wagon while still leaving some room for themselves.

Having arrived back home, they unload the Saarland together, and then Jane goes to work modifying their Kando. Lucas meanwhile starts to lay out the parts for their future roll cage. Mary scurries off for an important phone call she has to make. A short while later, Ludo’s truck arrives and delivers the other promised parts.

1 Like

Team Mravolinski-Chitco

Prologue: End of beggining

Details? There are some.

Team was hard at work preparing platform for car, some members working harder than others.
Mood was high, food was plentiful and some stores are once again visited to resuply if needed.

Platform got walls and first test run was done, at blazing speed of 10 kmph.
Gromadon understandably wasnt fully happy with fact that this space is tight and dark and depending on cameras and screens to move wasnt particularly pleasant either: He underestimated just how big this difference actually is.
Practice makes perfect and there was fair bit of time he could practice to move before actual showtime.

There would be some fair share of planning involved in terms of Holjesbanan itself, which involved very careful research spanning few minutes.
Happily, they realised that their platform can be parked absolutely anywhere and Gromadon wouldnt need to worry about his…liquid waste atleast.

Quite a bit of food was obtained, along with two small swimming pools that totally arent going to be used for something else
INTEX Sunset Glow Inflatable Kiddie Pool - 45" x 10"

Each pool can hold 130 liters of water conservatively, which makes them quite adept at new roles, but bcos they also happen to be quite demanding in terms of space…ye, packing both of them in platform at same time is all but impossible.
Unless…lets revise this thing…by adding more material at front and beggining of the side
Walls got cut, reshaped, rewelded and now they have some more material.
Test runs had proven to be successful and they are now ready for their purpose…or atleast would be ready when time comes.

Car starts and runs and as such was deemed ready for its could-be-last drive.
Some proper ramp was foregone, as Aydar is more than strong enough to lift car into its part of platform.
This applied to supplies that were packed before the car, which by itself was packed with stuff as well and would be unpacked before being sent to track.

This song is title for part below

And so everyone packed and prepared themselves for this journey.
Gromadon had lot of training beforehand and as such, he was prepared to tackle the highways leading close to destination. It was decided to casually observe speed of everyone else and kinda adjust to that.

Overtakes were done very quickly, prob even too quickly knowing how much mass is here at play.
It was definitely not neck-breaking pick up of pace, but it felt powerful from perspective of ones not touching the tarmac.
It felt like there is relentless reserve that can be released, it felt that this…far from limits

Highways seemed nice bcos they were nice but at some point they will be left behind.
Pace got slower and Gromadon needed to be much more careful now that there are many other traffic participants, some of which arrive from opposite direction while being one tiny line away.

Route was:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Stockholm,+Sweden/Finnskoga+Motorklubb,+Motorstadion,+Finnskogavägen,+680+65+Höljes,+Sweden/@60.1731961,13.4845257,12z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!4m7!1m2!1m1!1s0x465f763119640bcb:0xa80d27d3679d7766!1m2!1m1!1s0x4669daa3b3667137:0x29a6bb95f8cadcea!3e0

Now its really end of beggining

Group had arrived with enough time to do their stuff.
Aydar was unloaded first and car was pushed towards him so he can grab it.
He decided to joke a little and so he decided to direct front end of car…straight into rear end of his dad.
Growl of dissapproval could have been heard, Aydar settled car on solid ground and unpacking continued.

Gromadon got swimming pools which were both filled with different stuff.
“We dont want to worry about refilling your stuff, so you get it immideately.” said him as he emptied bag after bag after bag of dog food into one of them.
Aydar was carrying the barrel to fill other pool, this time with stuff its supposed to hold.
Gromadon took sweet revenge by “showering” him, which meant he was soaking wet and smelled like he was pissed on (he was).
Klimentol closed rear end of platform, so Gromadon became hidden from rest, with his role being eating, drinking and sleeping under cover.

Mat would excitedly meet hosts as soon as they appear and so he was given the role of registering the team.
If there was something that might be needed very soon, it was in car that now positioned itself in pit lane, to be prepped for race.
Dogs decided to see if there is someone they might know, leaving Quint and Omega with car.

As you may correctly guess, some ppl not being on track should be mentioned as they were informed of race happening and decided to follow it:

Little girl dogs met in supermarket?
You bet she reserved TV for watching the race.
Besides our team, she will likely be interested in team where Shift Happens, due to it having animal-like individuals.

Manager from that same supermarket had also decided to follow this year’s race as well.
“They really werent joking about it…” he borked to himself

Mat’s colleagues had decided to follow his dream coming true as well, his father and their boss included.
They will be following race from either their homes or while on job, ofc latter applying they dont have much of work at that point.

3 Likes