The Beginning of Peace

Im pretty sure the point of semi-slicks is that they’re as close as slicks as possible while still being road-legal…

But that’s just a theory.
A game theory.

Pictures of a 1960 Armor Valence 2+2 as it was, brand new from the factory.

7 Likes

Back in my autocrossing days, I was introduced to “R-compound” tires. They were semi-slicks, but were NOT road legal. People running them would either trailer their car in, or they’d carry the full set of R-compound tires in their cargo area, drive in on regular DOT-approved tires, change, run the car, change, and go home.

Just as a counter-point.

5 Likes

the fact that they’re modelled after Yokohama A048s should prove that theory :thinking:

Call me crazy, but Quentin might just want to be able to drive in the rain if needs be.

True story, also from autocrossing. Falken Azenis were the big “semi-slick” tire at the time, and the trog driving the Porsche Boxster ignored repeated warnings from drivers and tech staff at the event that he should NOT be driving on them, as it was late February and the horizontal rain we were experiencing was not likely to let up.

He was the 6th car on the course. Coming out of the first baker box and into the second slalom, he started to lose control, overcorrected, and flew over the outer berm and into a 200’ Douglas Fir (WELL above ground level), totaling his car.

And that was with early 2000’s technology. I think ol’ Quentin is right here, with 1950’s tech and the intent to spend time where it rains 3 times more than here. :grin:

3 Likes

To what degree did semi-slicks even exist in the late 1950s? Even racing tires of the era had treads much like those of passenger tires.

1 Like

Not wanting to sidetrack the topic too much, but on subject of semi slick tyres, why they aways bring a driveability penality? Because of this lack of wet performance?

BoP - Bmaggiori - Chroma.car (26.9 KB)

BDM Industries, presents Chroma . . .
Good for family, good for you… not for beginners . . .
A V8 4.1 with a lot of fun ! ! !

Enjoy !

4 Likes

Does this include a markup or not?

Also, how many production units are we allotted for the engine?

Edit: I agree with @Leedar on the markup being 0%. However, I’m assuming the upper limit of 85 production units applies only to the trim, not the variant and trim combined - otherwise it would be too restrictive.

No markup is specified, so I would assume 0%.

It seems you can use as many engine PUs as you like provided you don’t exceed 85 for the engine and trim combined.

Edit: @abg7 I think low+shared PUs is meant to be a challenge and to improve realism.

(Can I plug again that I’ve come up with a car and just need a stylist to collab with? :stuck_out_tongue: )

I have time to kill… though I’m not always the best stylist… :stuck_out_tongue:

@Leedar I could help you out too. Lol I guess it’s your choice who you want to style your car. Mine is the black one with the old pictures up a little ways. I’m already submitted so no need to worry about sharing mechanical information.

As a reminder to all, you have just under 36 hours to submit your entries!

1960 SW Okta Mk1

1 Like

Albatross Motors Presents, something that technically meets the requirements of this challenge, the Albatross City 250. This car features a 2.5 liter flat 6 engine, producing 134 horsepower and 149 lb-ft of torque, with power delivered to the front wheels through a 4 speed manual transmission. Thanks to this powertrain, the City 250 will do 0-62 in 7.1 seconds, and a top speed of 105 mph. Even with the impressive performance, the City 250 will also do 22.2 MPG US on Super Leaded gasoline. The interior features 4 leather-trimmed seats and an AM radio, along with dashboard padding for safety. Prices start at a very reasonable $8011. See your local Albatross dealer to learn more.

4 Likes

1960 FAAL Foreia Mk2. Here presented in 233L trim, with its 2.3L engine.
This very model is fitted with a model-year specific limited option package called “Road hugger Pack”, which includes:

• Weber carbs from a Mesaia 154S, bumping up the power
  • improved suspension, closer to the ground
  • wider rear wheels.

The whole package gave the car an amazing road feel, out of this world for the 60s, making it one of the most drivable RWD cars on the market. To bring joy to every driver’s face until it’s time to change the tires

2 Likes

1960 Eckle 2000B

Lazy ad because I forgot when the deadline was, and I’m busy for the rest of the day

2 Likes

sounds like someone’s having a bit too much fun with their one-tire fires :wink:

1960 Linden LK3 Touring

Combining a stout-hearted and smooth straight-six powerplant with distinctive styling, good road manners and a true four-seat premium interior, the 1960 Linden LK3 Touring promises a driving experience with few equals.

Hikoba 260

This elegant coupe offers the most traditional automotive experience. Spacious leather interior, am radio and 150 horsepower will give travel delight.

2 more pics

3 Likes