The Car Shopping Round 136 - New Millenium, New (old) Beginning - ENDED

Reg or Plus will make the difference between a guzzler and a nonguzzler.

what about mod bodies?
everything goes?

2 Likes

Not necessarily to OP, but aren’t using a classic body set or using an actual convertible (as opposed to cutting the roof off a coupe) both heavily detrimental to score?

2 Likes

I just want to ask here… Are the starred items his top five priorities, or his only priorities? The listed items in priorities are often viewed as the crucial elements of review, but many items are either logical as priorities or called out in the text but not the list. For example, prestige and sportiness make sense in this segment, and Andrew desires reliability and low repair costs. Will these be reviewed at all? Common sense says yes, but a possible reading of the priority list says no.

This will be fixed before the entries open. Im sorry for the confusion with the formatting at the beginning, it comes with a bit of experience im guessing!
Notes are taken on most things discussed here and on the discord and if you give us a few hours this will be clarified before the round opens.

2 Likes

does that mean “convertible, or coupe,” or “convertible coupe?”

This bit will be changed as well.

I managed to get those values, however I had to use a coupe body (and then chop it’s roof off).
Anyways I’ll be waiting for the last adjustments to the rules

Also, maybe it is just me, but I would try clarify what Power means here. It might seem super obvious, but is it only engine related or overall power in the car, it could actually be tied to a specific stats in game, be simply raw BHP, or a more general feel also taking into consideration torque, power-to-weight ratio, etc.

From the context of the brief (mid-life crisis american car tropes), I am guessing raw horsepower, but maybe not.

Regarding the type(s) of convertible tops that can be used: What does Andrew prefer? I expect detachable soft tops to be too much of a hassle for him, but manual and automatic soft tops will do fine. But what about hard tops? Would Andrew choose such a setup?

On another note, the galvanized steel chassis/treated steel combo provides too little environmental resistance to meet the minimum threshold value of 40, even though it is cheaper (in terms of approximate cost and PU/ET).

The ruleset has been adjusted.

Link to the first post

Following your feedback

If there is anything still confusing or problematic, please let us know. Reminder that the entries will open on Friday April 9, 20:00 EDT. (+- 26 hours)

7 Likes

Almost forgot about this - does Andrew prefer an automatic or manual transmission?

1 Like

judging by the cars in the examples, i’d probably say automatic

Andrew is a lower middle class American who hasn’t driven a stick since the early 80’s, so it may be a hard sell, but it holds a nostalgia value. Also, based on some conversation in the Discord, he has no national loyalty for car makes. In Texas oil barons drive Cadillacs, and their accountants drive Mercedes. A lexus Supra, Mercury Mustang, or BMW Karmann Ghia are all perfectly acceptable.

1 Like

Are there speed bumps in Texas? In other words, is there a minimum ride height (since practicality/uutility aren’t a thing)?

Noted. On top of that, while an automatic (especially an electronically controlled one) is more comfortable and easier to drive, a manual provides more sportiness and reliability, and costs less to boot. On that note, I created two versions of my test mule: one is powered by a DOHC I6 mated to an automatic transmission, and has better drivability, economy and comfort; the other has a big OHV V8 with a manual gearbox, and is not only sportier and faster, but also more reliable to boot. Seems like I’ve got my work cut out this time deciding between the two…

Not in this case - I was just pointing out the benefits and drawbacks of both transmission types.

Did he get it mixed up along with “Mercury Mustang”

Nope. I am intentionally mixing cars to describe the rough target. Like imagine if the Cadillac XLR had been based on the Camaro, instead of the Corvette.

Also, yes, there are speed bumps, and rough driveways in Texas. As long as the bumper looks like it is 6" (15CM) off the road, you are fine.

3 Likes

The submissions are now open!

That means the rules are now locked.

Submissions will close on Sunday april 18, 20:00 EDT.

Countdown

send your cars to @mcp928 or me.

10 Likes

Also are the 95_Comp bodies allowed?