The Car Shopping Round 136 - New Millenium, New (old) Beginning - ENDED

Somervell? Love it! Perfect company name for this CSR, and both cars look really nice to boot. :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

2002 RCM Raven

Relive the style of the 50s without giving up on modern performance and technology.

16 Likes

Damn, thank you! I just googled Texas county names back when I conceptualized the company for CSR133 and found a cool one.

You, on the other hand, picked the name of one of the coolest Founding Fathers for your car company, and I’m digging it. Bonus points for the triple taillights

The RCM Raven is a real looker!!

1 Like

Persche S88
I did it because I didn’t think that anyone else would go mid engine

The New 2002 Persche S88 Offers The Highest End In Luxury And Comfort, For A Price That Doesn't Sound It

The Mid Engined Power Transfers Through A Sporty, Quick Responding Automatic Transmission To All 4 Wheels, For Maximum Drivability

3 Likes

For those of you wondering, the engine year will not apply to binning. I looked over the rules and those of you disqualified were not affected by that anyway.

2 Likes

Attitude Defined. Legion Streetster.

Gallery

Taking after the iconic Legion designs of the late 50s and early 60s, Legion Streetster brings streetwise attitude, top up or down.

Additional Details

The Streetster is based on the freshly updated for 2002 Legion Gran Cardinal, the last in the line of full-size, rear wheel drive, body on frame Legion models, popular for fleet and police use. This 2002 update brings, for the first time, independent rear suspension to the platform, as well as the use of aluminum for some body panels. The update also brings a major update to the V8 engine; the SOHC V8 has increased in size to 5.2 liters and now features VVT and VVL for improved fuel economy and a wider torque band. The Streetster shares most of it’s mechanical equipment with the Gran Cardinal PSV (Police Service Vehicle) including the 308 hp 5.2 liter V8, upgraded brakes, and aggressive rear axle ratio. Unique to the Streetster are REVOCS semi-active dampers, true magnesium 18" Torq-Thrust-style wheels, and retro styling with a completely redesigned front clip. This full size convertible seats only two in it’s lavishly appointed white leather interior, as the Steetster’s unique double-speed-hoop roof, a call-back to the early-60s Legion Speedster, lifts away to completely conceal the power soft top when retracted. The car is available in any color you like, so long as it’s black.

16 Likes

Hey there, thecarlover-great job on this one. Not only are the designs really good, but they really compliment each other, too. And of course, the Continental-style tire bump on the '02 Raven is one of the most interesting touches, especially as it reminds me of some of the Lincoln models from the '70s, '80s and '90s. :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

Submissions are now Closed!

It is now passed 20:00 EDT.

Expect something in the near future.

Thank you everyone for participating and stay tuned!

16 Likes

good luck, everyone!

6 Likes

I seem to have brought a pony car to a roadster fight - but I have no regrets whatever the outcome, given that its exterior styling referenced a car I made for an earlier CSR round, and I made plenty of contemporary pop culture references (to TV shows and video games, among others), as well as poking fun at the fact that in 2002, pony cars in real life had yet to embrace a full-on retro redesign, a trend that began when Ford released its S197 Mustang in 2004, prompting Chrysler and GM to follow suit a few years later.

3 Likes

I dont think you missed the mark at all honestly, the car fits the bill. Me on the other hand, I have no clue WHAT I brought lol. Its retro…in MY mind.

Honestly, I’m not surprised by the number of Mustang-types, considering that was probably the next logical step to retro-styled cars and the most positive reception towards retro styling. I just hope mine makes it past the binnings.

I’m pleasantly surprised that there weren’t more Mustang derivatives since that represents a safe option as a starting point. Several really good designs to chose from, and a tight race stats wise overall. The instabin list should be up today once mat1476 adds some HTML formatting magic. Round 1 of the reviews is about written, just need to convert the review points into banter so it reads better. Stand by for more.

10 Likes

I am crossing my fingers that I don’t get instabinned. I also think I may have the biggest car out of everyone here. But, I wish good luck to everyone.

1 Like

I double-checked for possible bin areas but this is still tense as a drumroll, damn.

1 Like

PRELIMINARIES - INSTABINS

Washington, DC, 2001. Somewhere deep inside the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration a team of dedicated tabulators examine the latest annual submissions, and recertifications for any vehicles slated for U.S. distribution.

The first batch of cars culled from this year's offerings came down to simple filing errors. Manufacturer Eagleye (Prium), failed to supply all of the required paperwork for cars, and/or engines. {binned for failure to follow CSR naming conventions} Once the paperwork is in order, the remaining cars are examined for manufacturer compliance.

During the equipment inspection, manufacturers Legion, Satyr, Deer And Hunt, and Avantii, were not in compliance for MY1998+ required safety standards (advanced 90s or better), and were barred from sale.

NHTSA was unable to acquire a test sample from Cerberus, or (VibingWithOllie) due to production delays. {These vehicles have been binned for exceeding the ET/PU limits, or not sending the car}. Wells was noted as particularly ambitious, submitting their 2012 model that curiously did not even meet emissions requirements for 2002. Similarly Alba, Raven and Jefferson had suffered a shipping error, having supplied a replacement engine for a 2000, 1997, and a 1999 model respectively rather than the 2002 certification sample.

Eliminated for rules violations:

@DuceTheTruth100

@Prium

@Jaimz

@Camjkerman

@Elven_Sage

@Mikonp7

@EnCR

@AlternateSteve90

@TheLapTopX20

@VibingWithOllie

@donutsnail

8 Likes

Oops! I guess I misread a thing or two on the rules. :sweat_smile:
Ah well, it was worth the try, anyway. Good luck to all of y’all whose entries were able to move forward. :sunglasses: :+1:

6 Likes

Phew! I feared my entry would be ineligible for one or more rule violations, but thankfully it isn’t. The real acid test will come during the first stage of judging - and I expect it to be as entertaining as ever.

3 Likes

Damn, the Year gremlin strikes once again!
Ah, had fun with this one, Really felt i did something more unique than usual here. Too bad i stumbled on the same rock as many times before :sweat_smile:

5 Likes