TMCC26 - California Dreaming [Results!]

I don’t know if this is asking too much but is a cabriolet more preferred?

Like if you had the same car and one a coupe and the other a cabriolet, would the cabriolet be the obvious choice.

Looks is important as well as stats, if you can make it “even” to the coupe counterpart, the Cabriolet would win. That’s not to say the coupe can’t win, the right stats in a few key areas could tip the scales. So, yes.

2 Likes

Do our cars have to be strictly two seaters? Nearly half of the inspirations are 2+2s.

2 Likes

A good point, 2 seats is what I’ve specified because I didn’t think +2 would help too much engineering wise. I’ll allow it because of the Inspirations I’ve listed. 4 full seats is too much though.

4 Likes

Seeing as nobody really had any large objections, the round is now open.

5 Likes

1987 Milano Fenice V8 Targa

The first in a line of bleeding edge performance cars, the '87 Fenice was the car to have back in the wild 80’s.
This Targa model brings all of the stiffness and performance credentials of a coupé, without losing the open-air allure of a convertible.

11 Likes

I take that as “wheel concavity adjustments are free - on both sides.”

Also, as for adjustments to chassis tunnel size and firewall positions, I’m assuming there are no restrictions on those, either.

1 Like

Presenting the 1987 Zellhof Opus 46 GTT

Gallery

Stats

10 Likes

1987 Globus Phoenix GT

New for '87 is the GT trim, basically an LT with the following changes:

• T-Top roof, removable, there is a storage behind the seats
  • manual transmission
  • engine tuned for premium gas.

Not to mention the bulletproof reliability, don’t waste your time waiting for AAA because you got some fancy Italian convertible. And every hillbilly gas station knows how to service a Globus.

The driver’s choice among the Phoenix models.
New for '87 are also diverse colors, like this beautiful “Malibu Mint Metallic”.

The Globus Phoenix is the muscle that delivers sports car performance for a budget car price! Globus - buy clever, regret never!

4 Likes

Where did you find the Pontiac wheels?

1 Like

I believe those are from Aruna’s Legacy Wheel Pack 1.

2 Likes

AFFORDABLE MID ENGINED EXCITEMENT.

THE 1987 SIRIN. FROM VAUGHN.

4 Likes

Yes they are in there

1987 KMA KX12 GT Spider

It’s the raddest, maddest, baddest roadster on the planet.

And with a 420-bhp 4.0L V12 between the rear wheels, it’s also one of the fastest.

How fast? 0-60 mph in 3.9 seconds and a top speed of 185 mph.

What are you waiting for? Turn the key and hit the gas to find out!

4 Likes

I have an entire build on that body and I scrapped it because the darn service costs are insane compared to others. MR platforms with staggered tires take a real hit.

2 Likes

MR cars need staggered tires (sometimes with a lot of stagger) to avoid excess oversteer, and that’s a key factor in their high servicing costs. However, that in itself is not always sufficient to prevent terminal oversteer; with the weight distribution calculations the way they are right now, moving the engine as far forward as possible, as well as tuning the suspension and/or aerodynamics for an understeer bias, may be necessary.

I chose an MR build because even with its inherently high servicing costs, I felt confident enough that it would yield great sportiness and drivability figures if done right. Also, I had enough headroom left in the budget to fit adaptive dampers and a luxury interior with a CD player - very high-tech for 1987. My approach to this round was “go big, or go home”.

As for your unused MR build, assuming you have finished it, but not deleted it, why not show it to us as a reminder of what could have been?

I can do this but it won’t look as pretty as yours because I only did the engineering, once I realized that my Service Cost number was double what I wanted. Maybe I’ll save it for a different competition that is less prioritized on that.

About a week till entries close! I have already recieved a few submissions from:

@abg7
@Ch_Flash
@Happyhungryhippo
@the-chowi

3 Likes

Swanson 937 OP

By popular request, a convertible version of Swanson’s halo car was first released in 1983. A good year indeed…
3 years later it’s 10 years old and still kicking, with slightly updated looks, in part to accomodate the droptop. A replacement is reportedly in the works, but won’t enter showrooms this decade.

Under the rear clamshell the 3.7 liter B6 runs at 320 hp. Racing experience has shown aluminium blocks are finally reliable enough.
While certainly not Over Powered, it gives adequate performance even with the added weight. 0-100 km/h in 4 seconds flat, quarter mile in the low 12s - top speed is limited to just a decent 270 km/h, but should be enough to blow some TV guy’s toupé off.

Push button receive car

3 Likes

A gamble in the market:

FMC Sidewinder Turbo - Touring trim

The Sidewinder model continues for '87, on an all-new platform - still proudly RWD. Shown here is the Convertible Touring trim, equipped with a turbocharged 2.5L DOHC I6 making 235hp and plenty of low end torque. This puts it on par with some of the quickest cars of the year. This is paired with a 5 speed manual, though a 4-speed auto is also available.

The Convertible model (as shown) drops the 2+2 seating arrangement for a 2-seater one. The hidden convertible top takes the place of where the rear seats would be.

The Touring trim adds lush top-grade leather on all surfaces. In addition a softer suspension tune, longer gearing, and high grade touring tires comes with the package.

3 Likes