Tom Henks Racing Series [Season 6 Finale results]

Alright, the final race of season 1 has concluded. As always, the HFF won:

The Mara came 2nd and the Subuwu 3rd, actually barely ahead of the Armor that set a very impressive time early on. The Seishin finished just behind the Armor, meaning its overall 4th was safe.

However, as announced earlier, the Subuwu and Mara then went head to head on Mixed Stage 3 at Small Island and the Subuwu was faster there, meaning they were once again neck and neck. As a result, I’m calling it a draw and giving them both 15 points as if they had both tied with the exact same time on Cell Tower Delivery so these are the final standings:

This concludes season 1. Thank you everyone for participating and for watching. Season 2 is in the works, but due to unsatisfactory game performance (aka bad FPS) on my end I’ve decided to upgrade my CPU since I’ve identified it being the bottleneck and not the GPU. The new one is coming next week. Assuming the upgrade goes well, I’ll work on the video next weekend, maybe it’ll be done by next weekend but if not then season 2 will start the week after. Stay tuned, and thanks for your patience.

6 Likes

Alright everyone, it’s time to announce the new season!

This time we’re doing GT Race cars in 2018. Compared to last season, these cars are obviously going to be considerably faster but also we’re only racing on tarmac this time around. Due to the limited amount of suitable tracks there will only be 6 races this season, more on that later.

RULES:

• Year (for everything): 2018
  • Minimum wheelbase: 2.50m
  • Body type: anything that allows for at least 2 seats, last 20 years
  • Body and chassis materials: any
  • chassis type: monocoque only
  • Techpool: 0 on everything
1. Engine:
  • Type: anything from I3-V12 allowed, no V16. Turbos allowed
  • Displacement: up to 3000cc for turbo engines, up to 6000cc for NA
  • Fuel: Race (100RON), Octane Margin: 0
  • Must have a 3-way (or high-flow 3-way) cat
  • maximum loudness: 70.0
  • max. power output: depends on car weight, see power/weight rules
  • minimum engine reliability: 68
2. Trim:
  • Drivetrain: FWD or RWD only, no AWD/4x4
  • Gearbox: Automated manual with 6 or 7 speeds
  • Differential: any
  • Tyres/wheels: explained below
  • Brakes: no carbon ceramic
  • Cooling Airflow: 50+
  • No active aero
  • Car must have 2 full seats
  • Safety: Advanced 10s, quality must be 0 or higher
  • No air or hydropneumatic springs
  • Approximate cost: up to 125.000$ (with +10 quality in tyres/wheels, see below)
  • Every car must weigh between 1200-1300kg, minimum weights depend on engine power (see below)

Using the Advanced Trim Settings (to change engine position, wheel size or other) is not allowed. If we find that a car is using them anyway, we will reset them to default values.

Making an interior is not required.

3. Tyres/wheels:

For this season, we have partnered up with a tyre and wheel manufacturer that can provide 4 different sets of tyres. All of them are Semi-Slicks with Magnesium rims with a total wheel diameter of 700mm and they are of great quality (+10). Their dimensions are as follows:

• Set A: 275/40R19
  • Set B: 295/40R19
  • Set C: 305/40R19
  • Set D: 325/30R20

Every car must use 2 different sets, you can’t use 2 of the same tyre/wheel sets on your car. Only FWD cars are allowed to use Set C and Set D on the same car (and use the wider tyres on the front if so desired). Every other car is allowed to use either Set C or Set D but not both on the same car.

4. Power/weight regulations:
  • Every car must weight between 1200.0kg and 1300.0kg
  • Car power/weight must be at least 2.4kg/hp (i.e. must not exceed 416.666hp/ton)
    Examples:
  • If your car weighs 1200.0kg, it can make up to 500.0hp
  • If your car makes 520hp, it must weigh at least 1248kg
  • If your car weighs 1300kg, it can make up to 541.6hp
5. Aero:

Any aerodynamic fixture must be placed on the car (on the body, not inside the car aka inside the cabin or on the chassis etc.), and must be visible (no fixture stacking, no transparent “paint”/material choice).
The car must not have so much downforce that it bottoms out at high speed (Automation warning)

6. Submissions:

Submissions will be open from October 29th to November 5th, 6pm CEST. Of course, you can start building right away, but to minimize the chances of Automation game/balance updates messing with the cars after you send them in, the submissions window is condensed.

Please refer to paragraph 4 of the original post in this thread for how to submit your car.

Format:

• 3 rounds, 2 races each round for a total of 6 races
  • Points will be given to cars after every race
  • In case of a tie for 1st place after round 3, a deciding race will be held between the tied cars
  • The bottom 25% of cars after round 1 will be eliminated
  • The bottom 33% of remaining cars will be eliminated after round 2, so only the best cars proceed to round 3
  • From this season onwards, all races will only be streamed on Youtube because the quality is better than on twitch, it’s easier to set up, and it doesn’t require me uploading the VOD separately but instead it can just be viewed at any time.

After submissions close, my mods and I will thoroughly check each car to make sure it meets all the rules. Additionally, for this round, I will make a “top trumps” style card image like this for every competitor’s car:

To ensure the car’s name fits on the card and remains readable, please don’t use excessively long car names. The power and weight figures will be taken from the Automation stats, the 0-100km/h time will be timed by me in BeamNG on the drag strip.

Due to the amount of work that goes into making these cards, the first race will start 1 week after submissions close, on 12th November at 6pm CEST. All races will be held on closed circuits.

Race 1: Lake Side Park - Main Circuit (3 flying laps, fastest lap counts) - Nov 12, 6pm CEST
Race 2: Toban Raceway - Runoffs Config (3 flying laps, fastest lap counts) - Nov 19, 6pm CEST
Race 3: Hirochi Raceway - Long Circuit (3 flying laps, fastest lap counts) - Nov 26, 6pm CEST
Race 4: Automation Circuit - Main Circuit (2 flying laps, fastest lap counts) - Dec 3, 6pm CEST
Race 5: Nurburgring GP Circuit (2 flying laps, fastest lap counts) - Dec 10, 6pm CEST
Race 6: Spa Francorchamps (2 flying laps, fastest lap counts) - Dec 17, 6pm CEST

Happy building :slight_smile:

6 Likes

On that note, the use of active springs of any kind should be prohibited, along with adaptive or semi-active dampers, as well as any type of sway bars other than the basic passive variety.

1 Like

I politely disagree. Most race cars today have adjustible suspension of some kind, usually there are buttons on the steering wheel or there are buttons/switches on the dashboard to adjust front and rear suspension while driving. This being said, air springs or hydropneumatic springs have no reason to be on a GT-style race car in my opinion.

I’ve been engineering a car for the race, and I’ve tried out several different wheel combinations but I get so much wheel slip! Does anyone know how to reduce the wheel slip with the tires we have here? Or am I just turning too much?

Do you mean you’re getting a lot of on-power oversteer and wheelspin? It’s likely you may be turning too much, or alternatively have too much front end grip which causes the rear to become unbalanced. But you shouldn’t have too much trouble putting the power down with the weight of the vehicles here.

If the front end isn’t too strong or you aren’t turning too aggressively, or stabbing the throttle, but its still coming round on you and lighting up the rear theres a couple things you could try. Firstly, make sure your aero is balanced, if you go into the debug options in beam you should be able to see your centre of mass, that option will also show you your centre of pressure. The centre of pressure should be slightly behind the centre of mass, that should give you more rear end grip in the higher speed stuff. If low-speed is an issue I’d go through the different differential options in automation and see how they feel in beam, a technically inferior diff may actually work better for your particular set up, its rare but it does happen.

Outside of that, slap on the fattest rear tires you’re allowed and tune the suspension best you can to mitigate oversteer. And make sure you’ve got some form of more advanced suspension geometry on the rear (double wishbone, multi-link, or pushrod), as they’ll keep your wheel camber better aligned.

Hope something there helps!

3 Likes

Not been a post in a few days. So I thought I’d share a terrible ad I made where you can barely see the car.

4 Likes

Making a beautyshot on what i’m working on

4 Likes

Entries are now open! As stated both in the OP of this thread and in the rules, only submissions sent through my discord will be looked at. Entries close on Saturday, November 5th at 6pm CEST.

Just a quick question, the mention of +10 quality on tyres. Do they all have to have that or is it a maximum?

the +10 quality on tyres is mandatory, to even the playing field. It can’t be higher or lower than +10.

1 Like

This part is a little confusing, if i have a rwd car can I use set d and c on it at the same time?

No, only FWD cars can use C and D at the same time.
RWD cars can use A and C, A and D, B and C or B and D at the same time.

2 Likes

Indeed, thank you for the clarification Gridghost.

I’m kind of in a rush to get to work but I want to leave this here from my discord so everyone is up to date:

Mara Paragon 4.6 GT3

Archanan privateer team N7 Garage had the idea to enter a Mara Paragon into the 2018 THRS GT season, modified and tuned according to THRS-GT3 specification .

Only time will tell the effect of limited funding and pre-season testing time…

5 Likes

little reminder: Submissions close in 24 hours from now. Please check the rules post for how to submit via my discord

3 Likes

I have one coming, just have to get to my computer tonight.

CoqNoir M9

Here seen as the GTR trim in the factory team’s colour scheme.

Alright everyone, submissions are now closed! We will have 9 competitors this time, and since there are so few cars I will only eliminate 1 car (the slowest one) after each round.

Sadly we have a number of DQs this time around:
ImKaeR - used carbon ceramic brakes and the wrong gearbox type
Nocturne - 285mm front tyres
Tall Trini Guy - used +5 tech pool
SparkVento - exceeded the allowable power/weight ratio
Ananas - 690mm total wheel diameter on the front tyres, should be 700mm

I will get to making the cards in the coming days and I’ll post them here once I’m done with all of them. The first race starts next Saturday at 6pm CEST

3 Likes

Alright everyone, I’m excited to bring you all the stats cards of the contenders for this season. Here they are in alphabetical order:

For some reason, the Automation forum doesn’t seem to like transparency on png files, so there are white edges around the otherwise rounded corners that shouldn’t be there. Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy!

7 Likes